Who is going to be the Next Prime Minister of the UK? | Be your stubborn best

Sigma

With the UK leaving the EU and David Cameron resigning as prime minister, does this leave the door open for Boris or someone else from within the conservative party? Or are we going to have another election?

Discuss.

Ibi Dreams

Yeah, I don't think the Tories would have a problem with calling a general election at this point. Labour just don't have the support to beat them, they might as well do it and then they can say that their new leader (Johnson, probably) has the support of the people

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Yeah, I don't think the Tories would have a problem with calling a general election at this point. Labour just don't have the support to beat them, they might as well do it and then they can say that their new leader (Johnson, probably) has the support of the people
Indeed... Plus it would guarantee them five years more in government and give them a reason to delay invoking article 50 for a while (probably long enough to get past the French and German elections)
But who knows Boris might just go all Boris and go off script and do something daft...

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
David Moyes has ruled himself out.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You'd like to thing Labour would sack Corbyn off, get someone competent in and go head to head with Boris fecking Johnson. Hell, even give Green a go. Just anything other than a Far right Boris led Government. Please.

Drifter

American
Boris is a clown .He may keep some amused.But outside of London he's not so loved. Could see Theresa May.

rpitchfo

Boris has been promised a non-elected cabinet position. They will need a new government department to oversee the exit for the next 5 years. He will do that in the first instance.

Theresa may PM
Gove chancellor

Yup that's all the signs of the apocalypse...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Additionally I don't think Boris has any of the charisma, swag or the ability to bounce back from gaffs like Trump does. He's basically a poor man's Trump but with none of the business acumen Trump supposedly has.

Fener1907

Boris is a clown .He may keep some amused.But outside of London he's not so loved. Could see Theresa May.
I could be completely overlooking something here, but... won't his popularity in London have taken a hit? It just seems logical considering that he was at the forefront of the leave campaign, while London was staunchly in favour of remaining.

It's odd that this guy's name is thrown around so nonchalantly like he's guaranteed to be the next PM, as if everybody knows something. Is the UK really that mentally unstable? It's been a while since I was there.

Vilev

Actually i think Boris might weasel out of PM position, it's not a surprise that both Boris and Gove wanted Cameron to continue, the next PM will have a huge hell on his hand and probably will end up a scapegoat rather than inspired leader of independence.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
With regards to thoughts on an early GE: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/122946

Government responded:
"The Fixed-Term Parliaments Act means no Government can call an early general election any more anyway."

Fixed-Term Parliaments Act was brought in in 2011.
There will be a loophole. There's always a loophole.
https://www.politicshome.com/news/u...d-term-parliaments-act-about-be-stress-tested

Parts of it are uncannily accurate :eek:

Under the Act, a Dissolution can occur only under one of the two scenarios spelled out in section 2. Events which would normally have been matters of confidence, such as losing Second Reading of a Finance Bill, the Estimates, or even the vote on the Queen’s Speech, are not covered. It may be said, of course, that a government in that position would need to seek the endorsement of the Commons in a vote of confidence. But there is no requirement to do so and, if the Opposition of the day did not want to deliver the coup de grâce (or could not do so) then a government could limp on – in theory, for the remainder of its term.

So what might be the effect of the Fixed-term Parliaments Act were there to be a vote on 23 June to leave the EU? Here the crystal ball clouds over very rapidly.

A narrow result (say 51-49) on a low turnout (say less than 50%) might fuel demands for a second referendum. This would not be a popular course, to say the least; but a complicating factor is the substantial Remain majority in the present House of Commons. There might be no shortage of Remainers who might want to throw the “sovereignty of Parliament” argument back at the Leavers.

But it is at least possible that a case could be made for a second referendum: not a replay to get a different result – although such things are not unknown in EU affairs – but to approve an exit package. Both the holding of a referendum, and the nature of an exit package, might be seen as matters of confidence – but of course would not be covered by the Act.

Another factor might be a differential result in two or more parts of the United Kingdom – for example, a vote to leave in England, but to remain in Scotland, which would complicate the Parliamentary arithmetic. And if a substantial victory for Brexit resulted in the formation of a new administration, and Parliamentary approval were needed at various stages of withdrawal, the denial of that approval would be seen by many as a matter of confidence, but again would not be covered by the Act.

Perversely, though, the operation (or non-operation) of the Act might reflect the will of the House of Commons, because of the wholly unpredictable effect that a Brexit General Election might have on the political map of the United Kingdom. As I say, the crystal ball clouds over.

Xeno

No if 2/3Rd mps vote for an early election they can call one
Could labour really vote against that without doing themselves more damage
If Labour had someone electable, any time before someone presses the Article 50 button would be their best shot at power for, well, forever.

Xeno

It's odd that this guy's name is thrown around so nonchalantly like he's guaranteed to be the next PM, as if everybody knows something. Is the UK really that mentally unstable? It's been a while since I was there.
It's not up to the UK; it's essentially an internal appointment.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
No if 2/3Rd mps vote for an early election they can call one
Could labour really vote against that without doing themselves more damage
I would vote against, and wait for the economy to slow down before 2020 and then face an unpopular incumbent. Voters remember only the last 2 years of a term.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
They'll definitely call an election after it, it's like the biggest lesson learned from the Brown premiership. There'll be an "oh look! A new toy" attitude from the public and they'll win bigish.

x42bn6

Actually i think Boris might weasel out of PM position, it's not a surprise that both Boris and Gove wanted Cameron to continue, the next PM will have a huge hell on his hand and probably will end up a scapegoat rather than inspired leader of independence.
I think IDS has a chance for this very reason - he has nothing to gain or lose, while soaking up the negativity. He can get a nice cushy Lords position afterwards.

Vilev

I think IDS has a chance for this very reason - he has nothing to gain or lose, while soaking up the negativity. He can get a nice cushy Lords position afterwards.
Could be, but i think with him backing Leave campaign and resigning over benefit cuts, he basically gained so much political capital he might want a proper go. He also realizes, that Boris is a bit wayward, a weirdo is some sense, while actually Ian i mean well he is as experienced as they come and we now how elderly voter matter, just look at the current affair, it's 50+ who outvoted the younger generation particularly in turnout numbers. And with his resigning stunt he is certainly a big favorite with english working class that is the current political mainstream. So all of this lacking of charisma stuff ten years ago more and more looking like irrelevant. He also can be a more amenable person for the City, it'll still hold a huge lobbying power of course.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
There is no loophole, they will have to amend legislation.
There doesn't have to be a loophole, it's built in to the legislation. Two thirds vote for an election and there's an election.

edit: if this makes you think the use of the phrase 'fixed-term' is a lie and a con-job you'd be right.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
What about Nigel? I'm sure he'll do the fruitcakes proud

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
A pyrrhic victory? Boris Johnson wakes up to the costs of Brexit:

...like most of Westminster, Johnson always imagined we’d grudgingly vote to stay in the end. That he too missed the anger bubbling beneath the surface, and is now as shocked as anyone else by what has happened.

“He thought what all those reluctant Brexiters thought: it would be a vote for Remain, he would be seen as having stood up for a principle,” said one Tory minister. After which Leave’s newest martyr could simply have bided his time for a year or so before being triumphantly installed in Downing Street.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics...boris-johnson-wakes-up-to-the-costs-of-brexit

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I had thought May, but even though she kept a low-profile in the referendum she backed Remain. So, even though Gove has ruled himself out I reckon if a few score MPs put it in writing to him that they want him to stand then he would, and win. Gove is still 3rd favourite at the moment, but if he drifts I might bite.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I had thought May, but even though she kept a low-profile in the referendum she backed Remain. So, even though Gove has ruled himself out I reckon if a few score MPs put it in writing to him that they want him to stand then he would, and win. Gove is still 3rd favourite at the moment, but if he drifts I might bite.
May would've had a chance if the vote was Remain, but a Leaver is pretty guaranteed now. Boris is first and foremost a narcissist so he'll definitely be going for it, hard to see past him now.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Next PM is practically a lamb to the slaughter. I think it will be someone already unpopular with nothing to lose. Gove.