Who is going to Qatar 2022?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Despite calls for boycott at this World Cup, the fact is that tickets have sold as quickly as any other recent edition (3 million sold so far) and over a million fans will travel to Qatar

Here are the Top10 counties by ticket sales

Some surprises in there, A lot more going from North America than I expected

Updates from those out there would be good!

Last edited:

RedDevilMachine

A lot of these sold tickets on the official website are snapped up by notorious ticket touters like Stubhub, Viagogo, Ticcombo who then marked up the original tickets at face value by 300%. I know of a guy who made 30k euro in the last World Cup by creating lots of bot accounts and buying tickets at face value and then reselling for 2 to 3x the price.

stw2022

I'm not sure I'd like to go to any World Cup. I'd go to a specific game if I could afford it but people who just take 3 weeks off work and spend thousands on tickets, travel and accommodation all at inflated prices, surely they're relatively well off. I could never justify that.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'm not sure I'd like to go to any World Cup. I'd go to a specific game if I could afford it but people who just take 3 weeks off work and spend thousands on tickets, travel and accommodation all at inflated prices, surely they're relatively well off. I could never justify that.
And this is probably the most expensive World Cup ever to attend too due to high accomodation prices

But I think most traveling fans probably go for a couple of games to get the WC experience, only the hard core go for the whole month

Tarrou

I'm there, loving it so far.. it's a bloody expensive trip though

I just picked up tickets for Australia France tomorrow, and Uruguay South Korea on Thursday from the official resale platform

aside from going to the Wales games

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
@Mockney are you there? Making videos ?
Nnnnooope

I’m at home. It’s pissing down outside. No one is texting me about going to the pub. No WhatsApp chats are kicking off about bunking off work. Nothing whatsoever is happening. My 2 year old is insisting we watch YT videos of helicopters taking off so I’ve watching no build up. I’ve barely just remembered to put a shirt on. It’s weird.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Nnnnooope

I’m at home. It’s pissing down outside. No one is texting me about going to the pub. No WhatsApp chats are kicking off about bunking off work. Nothing whatsoever is happening. My 2 year old is insisting we watch YT videos of helicopters taking off so I’ve watching no build up. I’ve barely just remembered to put a shirt on. It’s weird.
You are welcome round my way mate - just home from the pub !

marktan

I'm there, loving it so far.. it's a bloody expensive trip though

I just picked up tickets for Australia France tomorrow, and Uruguay South Korea on Thursday from the official resale platform

aside from going to the Wales games
Super jealous, what sort of ballpark is the cost? I'd love to go to a WC for a week or two and just soak in the atmosphere.

Tarrou

Super jealous, what sort of ballpark is the cost? I'd love to go to a WC for a week or two and just soak in the atmosphere.
7 category 1 tickets, flights, accomodation and spending money is gonna come in around 12 or 13k I think

that’s a full month though - and includes a ticket to the final

ElBarto

7 category 1 tickets, flights, accomodation and spending money is gonna come in around 12 or 13k I think

Enjoy!

Alek M

Da manic one

whats a cat 1 ticket? How much is a ticket? How much is lodging?

Tarrou

whats a cat 1 ticket? How much is a ticket? How much is lodging?
category 1 is the most expensive, there’s also 2 and 3

my tickets were if I recall correctly 3 thousand pounds for all seven - cat 1 for the group games are about 200 each

accomodation is 175 quid a night but it’s pretty decent at least, and the area has everything you need

I might have to change my budget estimate now that I’ve found a bar, it’s 60 qatari dollars per drink and a 420 minimum spend (about 4 to the pound)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
category 1 is the most expensive, there’s also 2 and 3

my tickets were if I recall correctly 3 thousand pounds for all seven - cat 1 for the group games are about 200 each

accomodation is 175 quid a night but it’s pretty decent at least, and the area has everything you need

I might have to change my budget estimate now that I’ve found a bar, it’s 60 qatari dollars per drink and a 420 minimum spend (about 4 to the pound)
Minimum spend sounds a bit much - fine for a group I suppose but what if you are on your own?

Keep the updates coming !

Tarrou

Minimum spend sounds a bit much - fine for a group I suppose but what if you are on your own?

Keep the updates coming !
Yeah, it's not too bad in a group. On your own you just have to get shit-faced, I guess.

To be honest this is a once in a lifetime trip for me so I'm not too arsed about the cost of drinks. I mean what am I gonna do travel all the way to Doha to watch Wales in a world cup for the first time and not get twatted? That idea just seems absurd.

BarstoolProphet

Think I got away with about £1500-2000 for four weeks in Brazil, including travel (transfer via Lisbon), accommodation and five match tickets (four of them through FIFA ballot, the last one for £250 outside the stadium prior to kick off). The cost of living there was also ridiculously low, so overall it was great value for money. Then again Brazil are the perfect world cup holders when it comes to atmosphere, cost of living and infrastructure.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I have a few friends going from the UAE but they're Brits.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I have a few friends going from the UAE but they're Brits.
Yes as do I - huge amount of tickets have been sold in UAE despite them not being in it

In fact I understand that even people from other countries are choosing to stay in Dubai/Abu Dhabi and fly to Qatar for matches because accomodation and alcohol options are better

Andy_Cole

Been here since Monday. What a great setup. It’s a great World Cup. 8 stadiums in such a small city. Roads are superb. Everything working smoothly.

Easy to get a drink when you need too.

Stadiums are incredible. Breathtaking. Matches have been great too with good turnouts. Empty seats you see in TV are in the sponsors sections.

Been to 3 games so far. 3 to go.

Chief123

Despite calls for boycott at this World Cup, the fact is that tickets have sold as quickly as any other recent edition (3 million sold so far) and over a million fans will travel to Qatar

Here are the Top10 counties by ticket sales

Some surprises in there, A lot more going from North America than I expected
I would love to have gone!

Believe it or not, I’ve seen a number of videos of lots of England fans over there having an amazing time.

Mockney

Your 2 yo knows the deal Mocks.

I’ll perhaps watch a game or two when the KO rounds roll ‘round. But have very little interest compared to proper World Cups.
I’m starting to get a little bit into it. Be interesting to see if the England game tomorrow really takes off, as 7pm on a Friday seems pretty ideal.

And I’m sure the people who have gone are having a perfectly good time. Probably less boozy than other tournaments, but it’s pretty hard to have an outright BAD time at international tournaments, just cos it’s a big festival of football and there’s so many other people there for the same reason. And I do like the idea that it’s a more accessible WC for parts of the World, which will create its own interesting atmosphere.

It shouldn’t have ever been awarded to Qatar, but in terms of things going calamitously wrong, they’ve said that about most tournaments… Brazil and South Africa were both supposed to be critically unprepared, Poland & Ukraine was supposed to be horrifically dangerous (Sol Campbell talking about coming back in body bags etc) but all ended up being good fun on ground level.

The issues for me were having it mid season, near Christmas and around several key personal birthday/anniversary dates that made it less practical, and the fact that I just have no interest in Qatar as a place. Like Dubai, those kind of purpose built desert tourist traps for rich people seem like the most boring cultureless places to me. Plus one of biggest issues with Qatar was that all the migrant deaths were a direct consequence of their corrupt bid, as they needed to build all this brand new infrastructure in such a small and unsuitable place immediately… If it had been in, say, Saudi Arabia - somewhere with very similar, often worse human rights abuses, but a better football infrastructure, heritage and culture - I would’ve been more tempted to go I think.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I’m starting to get a little bit into it. Be interesting to see if the England game tomorrow really takes off, as 7pm on a Friday seems pretty ideal.

And I’m sure the people who have gone are having a perfectly good time. Probably less boozy than other tournaments, but it’s pretty hard to have an outright BAD time at international tournaments, just cos it’s a big festival of football and there’s so many other people there for the same reason. And I do like the idea that it’s a more accessible WC for parts of the World, which will create its own interesting atmosphere.

It shouldn’t have ever been awarded to Qatar, but in terms of things going calamitously wrong, they’ve said that about most tournaments… Brazil and South Africa were both supposed to be critically unprepared, Poland & Ukraine was supposed to be horrifically dangerous (Sol Campbell talking about coming back in body bags etc) but all ended up being good fun on ground level.

The issues for me were having it mid season, near Christmas and around several key personal birthday/anniversary dates that made it less practical, and the fact that I just have no interest in Qatar as a place. Like Dubai, those kind of purpose built desert tourist traps for rich people seem like the most boring cultureless places to me. Plus one of biggest issues with Qatar was that all the migrant deaths were a direct consequence of their corrupt bid, as they needed to build all this brand new infrastructure in such a small and unsuitable place immediately… If it had been in, say, Saudi Arabia - somewhere with very similar, often worse human rights abuses, but a better football infrastructure, heritage and culture - I would’ve been more tempted to go I think.
My main issue was the lack of reasonable accomodation - was ready to go but couldnt find anything less than £200 a night and even that was a tent with a fan! This does point to issues with the small size of Qatar and lack of tourist infrastructure

Not sure I would have prefered Saudi Arabia (much worse on human rights AFAIK!) but I get your point on football heritage.
Wouldnt say the migrant deaths and poor conditions are due to the World Cup either, although no doubt it made it a bigger problem. This was already an issue before they ever got the WC and will continue to be a problem after. Similar issues in all Gulf countries (Dubai etc) that are rapidly developing and hopefully the WC spotlight will help to improve the situation - but that discussion is not for this thread.

Pretty sure tomorrow night will be big in England - from what I saw pubs were very busy even on Monday afternoon

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Been here since Monday. What a great setup. It’s a great World Cup. 8 stadiums in such a small city. Roads are superb. Everything working smoothly.

Easy to get a drink when you need too.

Stadiums are incredible. Breathtaking. Matches have been great too with good turnouts. Empty seats you see in TV are in the sponsors sections.

Been to 3 games so far. 3 to go.
Glad to hear it - Which games?

I would love to have gone!

Believe it or not, I’ve seen a number of videos of lots of England fans over there having an amazing time.
I absolutely believe it and its exactly what I expected

Mockney

@Rood I saw footage from the Box Parks with people throwing their beers in the air and I dunno whether it was just the mood I was in, but it all felt incredibly contrived somehow. Like “this thing we did in the summer spontaneously during huge knock out games is now what we do all the time, even for the 4th goal in a group stage match against Iran on a Monday lunchtime in winter”… just very performative WE’RE ENJOYING THE WORLD CUP GUYS!! (And also we know we’re being filmed) stuff… but I recognise I could just be being hugely cynical

It certainly has started to build up buzz now. And I expect Friday to be good. Still a lot less flags about, but again, that might change with a good run. The fact there was almost no build up and it basically just started barely a week after the last League games probably played a part.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
@Rood I saw footage from the Box Parks with people throwing their beers in the air and I dunno whether it was just the mood I was in, but it all felt incredibly contrived somehow. Like “this thing we did in the summer spontaneously during huge knock out games is now what we do all the time, even for the 4th goal in a group stage match against Iran on a Monday lunchtime in winter”… just very performative WE’RE ENJOYING THE WORLD CUP GUYS!! (And also we know we’re being filmed) stuff… but I recognise I could just be being hugely cynical

It certainly has started to build up buzz now. And I expect Friday to be good. Still a lot less flags about, but again, that might change with a good run. The fact there was almost no build up and it basically just started barely a week after the last League games probably played a part.
I think the 'we know we're being filmed' is the vital factor there

And ye lack of build up, no friendlies plus general negativity about Qatar all playing a part

Giggsyking

France vs Australia
Germany vs Japan
Belgium vs Canada
Portugal vs Ghana
Brazil vs Serbia
England vs USA
To attend multiple games at the same day or within a day from multiple different groups is something unique. My cousins are there now and they were at the Russia World cup too, they are having a blast now and enjoying it more than the previous one.

Andy_Cole

To attend multiple games at the same day or within a day from multiple different groups is something unique. My cousins are there now and they were at the Russia World cup too, they are having a blast now and enjoying it more than the previous one.
It was a bit tight yesterday as Brazil and Portugal were back to back. Ended up missing like 15 mins of each game annoyingly. But other than that glitch getting to each stadium has been a breeze. Our fault with missing the start of Brazil though as we chanced getting the shuttle bus. Probably if we stuck to our taxi plan we’d have been fine (with where the shuttle dropped us off etc. )

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
France vs Australia
Germany vs Japan
Belgium vs Canada
Portugal vs Ghana
Brazil vs Serbia
England vs USA
You have done well with your match picks!
None of the 0-0s thankfully - hopefully I haven't just jinxed the England match

How far is the Fan Zone with beer from the England match stadium? I imagine that will be the best place to go pre-match

Last edited:

zing

Zingle balls
I am here — have tickets for Portugal Switzerland later today. Bloody hard to get tickets without paying over the top. Mine is from the fifa platform so I paid face value.
The fan zone was kind of lame yesterday. Anyone else here?

planning to watch Spain Morocco somewhere public and head to luzhail for the Portugal game.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I am here — have tickets for Portugal Switzerland later today. Bloody hard to get tickets without paying over the top. Mine is from the fifa platform so I paid face value.
The fan zone was kind of lame yesterday. Anyone else here?

planning to watch Spain Morocco somewhere public and head to luzhail for the Portugal game.
Really sad to see all the empty seats in corporate areas while real fans struggle to get tickets

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I have friends in Doha who are selling tickets for the England - France QF and a SF. Please PM me if interested and I can put you in touch. (Also let me know if this isn't allowed and I'll delete).

zing

Zingle balls
I have friends in Doha who are selling tickets for the England - France QF and a SF. Please PM me if interested and I can put you in touch. (Also let me know if this isn't allowed and I'll delete).
Damnn I’m leaving tomorrow.