Who is our deadwood now then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Hes scored twice this season in 6 games under ETH. Thr entire squad is getting used to ETH tactics and philopshy of football. How is becoming deadwood?
I guess because we bought him for massive money and wages and yet he’s barely had a good game in over 12 months.

Handré1990

Greenwood (I see he's still on the website) makes me absolutely weep, we've effectively lost an at least 80m player for free.

IF he's proven guilty, will we get some sort of compensation out of insurance etc? IF he's innocent would we even want him to play for us?

Had none of this happened (I know if guilty it's his own fault) he'd probably be a guaranteed starter and coupled with ETH coaching...

It'll be a hard one for the club to decide should he not be guilty.
I know it’s innocent til proven guilty, but I heard the tapes. The sooner we forget he ever existed the better. Fecking scumbag

finneh

Whisper it but could Sancho become deadwood, at least relative to his price and wages, the way he’s going?
It's insanity to think that if Ronaldo and De Gea leave at the end of the season Sancho will be the fourth highest paid player in the league behind KdB, Salah and Haaland.

It's difficult to understand the negotiating process behind that kind of contract, especially with the ramifications It's bound to have when negotiating for example Rashford's renewal.

AlPistacho

Maguire is deadwood. To high profile and to high wages to be a squad player, and if he does become a long term squad player then we lose a substantial fee and have a squad player on very high wages.

Lentwood

We have a huge opportunity next Summer to right some past mistakes. The following players are out of contract and should be moved on, for free if necessary-.

David de Gea - £375K
Cristiano Ronaldo - £500K
Fred - £120K
Phil Jones - £75K

Rashford and Shaw are also both out of contract, and whilst I believe they are worth renewing, it needs to be on our terms. No other club would pay them the salaries we pay so our offer should reflect their actual value.

Tuanzebe also inevitably looks likely to be released which is a huge shame and highlights how we have mismanaged our Academy prospects. We should have been getting £25m for a player of his quality if we had managed his career and value better.

ROFLUTION

We have a huge opportunity next Summer to right some past mistakes. The following players are out of contract and should be moved on, for free if necessary-.

David de Gea - £375K
Fred - £120K
Phil Jones - £75K

Rashford and Shaw are also both out of contract, and whilst I believe they are worth renewing, it needs to be on our terms. No other club would pay them the salaries we pay so our offer should reflect their actual value.

Tuanzebe also inevitably looks likely to be released which is a huge shame and highlights how we have mismanaged our Academy prospects. We should have been getting £25m for a player of his quality if we had managed his career and value better.
The club have +1 year option on Rashford, but yeah should find out what way we should go about Rashford very soon, or else it'll all end up like Pogba.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I see some people are still getting Sancho's wages incorrect :rolleyes:

Lentwood

Maguire is deadwood. To high profile and to high wages to be a squad player, and if he does become a long term squad player then we lose a substantial fee and have a squad player on very high wages.
'Deadwood' is for players nobody would buy and we have no use for. So Maguire ticks neither box.

jesperjaap

There are still several players within the side that are being given a new chance that people have wanted to leave could become deadwood over the season and of coruse a fair few that may wish to loeave anyway from lack of game time.

In terms of deadwood though:

Henderson
Williams
Bailly
J0nes
Telles
Tuanzabe
VDB

These players are all deadwood forme as none of them have a future here, Greenwood of coruse is a different scenario hence leaving him out

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

What has Tuanzabe done to be worth more than £5 to £10m sorry?

In regards to Rashford & Shaw I actually disagree as I do think places like PSG and a few others would hand them a bit contract if they are free agents unfortunately.

tenpoless

David de Gea - £375K
Fred - £120K
Phil Jones - £75K

Cant we add an agreement within their contract? pretty sure ManUnited app has the influencer stats, rating each player that has the biggest impacts from the highest to lowest, thay can be used as one of the metrics.

So lets say that we extend Rashford's contract and pay him the same initially, but we put in an agreement if he performs above specific threshold and/or his productivity is above X total goal and asisst then we will pay him even more. Will help motivate them and they dont have to wait for another extension for an increase in salary.

Hughes35

I wouldn't bother calling anyone with a sub 50k contract deadwood. That takes out Amad, Chong, Tuanzebe and Williams.

In my view the big ones are Bailly, Jones, Telles, AWB, VdB.
Yea this really. The first players mentioned need moving out (at least on loan) but aren't a huge issue. Shifting one of Lindelöf / Maguire wouldn't be the worst thing either (Ideally Maguire as he will be on bigger wages and Lindelöf can play RB if needed).

Other than this, I think all the other players have a role in a 20-25 man squad.

wangyu

Deadwood are all the players that are here, that don’t play and that are not on loan. Being here , collecting money without being competitive is deadwood.
Now I’m not that obsessive about football anymore so I don’t know who these players are but I would love it if someone provided a list of names according to my criteria.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ah, thanks, didn't know that.

He played all of 19 minutes since the start of the season and already injured is not good. Also, is it fair to ask - why the feck are or players picking up "knocks" in training, so often?
I wonder how much of it is going from not pressing/showing any intensity to attempting to become a side who outrun the opponents every game. I’m sure Liverpool had a lot of injuries during Klopp’s early tenure

kthanksbye

Based on performances so far under EtH, unless some players' form changes drastically.
DeGea, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, Fred, Ronaldo

Walking on thin ice.
Sancho, Scott, Rashford.

Hard to tell about AwB as he hasn't played at all, but given what we know about him, he's in the first list.

Edit - VdB in the first list too, he's EtH's player but he has barely featured so far.

eselfor

Sell or release:
Ronaldo
DDG
Fred
Williams
Tuanzebe
Jones
AWB
Bailly
Henderson
Telles
Sign: GK, CM, RB, ST

Last edited:

Lentwood

What has Tuanzabe done to be worth more than £5 to £10m sorry?

In regards to Rashford & Shaw I actually disagree as I do think places like PSG and a few others would hand them a bit contract if they are free agents unfortunately.
I'm talking about what he *should* have been worth if we had managed him properly and maximised his value.

He's now basically worth nothing because he's barely played football for 18-months and his contract is soon to expire but it's just another example of how we take talented young players from our Academy and ruin their careers by not moving them on when it's clear they're not quite top-four standard

Lentwood

Cant we add an agreement within their contract? pretty sure ManUnited app has the influencer stats, rating each player that has the biggest impacts from the highest to lowest, thay can be used as one of the metrics.

So lets say that we extend Rashford's contract and pay him the same initially, but we put in an agreement if he performs above specific threshold and/or his productivity is above X total goal and asisst then we will pay him even more. Will help motivate them and they dont have to wait for another extension for an increase in salary.
A simpler solution is just to hand-out more non-subjective performance-related contracts.

So instead of paying Rashford £250K, for example, you pay him £125K plus a £125K appearance fee + a £50K goal bonus.

That has the added benefit of motivating players to actually want to move if they're not starting games AND enables interested clubs to afford their 'base' wages.

Jericholyte2

DDG - whilst not immediate, I imagine that GK will be 2nd or 3rd priority for the summer window ‘23
Heaton - 1yr on contract, I imagine we’ll sign Dubravka to be No.2
AWB - clearly would have accepted a bid had one come in
Jones - expect to be released without issue or complaint
Tuanzebe - I personally feel could have been a squad player, let down by Ole and decisions to give horrific loan deals
Maguire - aware we’ll keep him due to wages etc, but clearly not on for ETH’s system
Shaw - 1yr on contract (does he have an extension clause?) and I think he’s clearly now no.2 LB. Do we keep as squad player or let go?
Telles - moved even further down the pecking order by Malacia”s arrival
Williams - could be kept as a utility FB for both left and right, but we should let him go if anyone offers a decent figure
McT / Fred - whichever ETH fancies the least
VDB - could be rotation for Eriksen and/or Bruno, but ETH doesn’t seem to be giving him too much time
Amad & Pellestri - panic buys by Ole when we should have used the funds for a DM. No impact during their respective loan deals, just not good enough
Ronaldo - looks a shell of his former self (even compared to last season). Admittedly he didn’t have a pre-season but will surely be let go in the summer

wolvored

Yea this really. The first players mentioned need moving out (at least on loan) but aren't a huge issue. Shifting one of Lindelöf / Maguire wouldn't be the worst thing either (Ideally Maguire as he will be on bigger wages and Lindelöf can play RB if needed).

Other than this, I think all the other players have a role in a 20-25 man squad.
Lindelof was terrible at RB against Sociadad

wolvored

DDG - whilst not immediate, I imagine that GK will be 2nd or 3rd priority for the summer window ‘23
Heaton - 1yr on contract, I imagine we’ll sign Dubravka to be No.2
AWB - clearly would have accepted a bid had one come in
Jones - expect to be released without issue or complaint
Tuanzebe - I personally feel could have been a squad player, let down by Ole and decisions to give horrific loan deals
Maguire - aware we’ll keep him due to wages etc, but clearly not on for ETH’s system
Shaw - 1yr on contract (does he have an extension clause?) and I think he’s clearly now no.2 LB. Do we keep as squad player or let go?
Telles - moved even further down the pecking order by Malacia”s arrival
Williams - could be kept as a utility FB for both left and right, but we should let him go if anyone offers a decent figure
McT / Fred - whichever ETH fancies the least
VDB - could be rotation for Eriksen and/or Bruno, but ETH doesn’t seem to be giving him too much time
Amad & Pellestri - panic buys by Ole when we should have used the funds for a DM. No impact during their respective loan deals, just not good enough
Ronaldo - looks a shell of his former self (even compared to last season). Admittedly he didn’t have a pre-season but will surely be let go in the summer
In reality all need to be moved on. Shaw is the most likely to stay though.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Based on performances so far under EtH, unless some players' form changes drastically.
DeGea, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, Fred, Ronaldo

Walking on thin ice.
Sancho, Scott, Rashford.

Hard to tell about AwB as he hasn't played at all, but given what we know about him, he's in the first list.

Edit - VdB in the first list too, he's EtH's player but he has barely featured so far.
You walking on thin ice section is laughable.

Hes literally playing Scott over Casemiro because his performances have been great. Rashford and Sancho have both scored vs top 6 teams.

They were all poor last year, but you cannot say they are poor under current manager.

galwayfa

Looking at the players that need to be released, jeez we all knew it was hard job but in all seriousness, we could get rid of 10 players that dont make this team any better

Onerealunited

Only Phil Jones.

Everyone else in the team is needed throughout the season minimum as a backup. Once we get better players in the upcoming years some of them might move up the list and be deadweight but hopefully by then their contracts would either expire or they will be sold.

hobbers

Can see from the Prem squad the problems we're going to have next summer. Jones axed and his homegrown spot is taken by a 22 year old 4th choice keeper.

What happens next season if we (fingers crossed) finally get shot of Tuanzebe, Williams and AWB? We'll have 3 homegrown spaces in the squad that can only really go to homegrown players. Elanga will still be too young. Laird might take a one of the spaces if he comes back.

wangyu

imo a squad should only consist of 22 first team players, this means many of them should be versatile. In times of tons of injuries we should look at youth players (18-21 year olds) to fill in the void. This is why we have an academy and it gives them plenty of opportunity over the season to learn and possibly impress the staff. In a 22 man squad there would be no deadwood as everybody gets used frequently.
This would also be good for the wage bill.

I know in times like these where competitiveness is high it is very unrealistic but if teams all over the world do the same then there would be no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.