Who is our deadwood now then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acaipoke

Classifying U21 players like Diallo, Pellistri, Elanga as deadwood is nonsense:nono:
Agreeed. There will always be U21 players who fall short of the qualities required to be in a top level Premier league team. But that's fine as there's always a need for younger bodies in a squad and they don'tweigh the finances down with high salaries.

Its the older players like Bailly, Jones Mctominay and maybe AWB (though he's still quite young) that I'd consider deadwood. The first two especially have spent more time in the recovery room than on the pitch.

aeh1991

Jones
Bailly
Tuanzebe
Telles
Williams
AWB
DVB or McTominay
Chong

Loan:
Mengi
Savage
Shoretire
Elanga
Amad

Alemar

• Eric Bailly- He's going to end up being our 5th choice CB
  • Phil Jones- Our 6th choice CB. So irrelevant no one seemed to notice he's played less minutes in pre-season than Ronaldo
  • Telles- is our 3rd choice LB. Who on earth needs a 3rd choice LB?
  • Wan-Bissaka- the antithesis to everything Ten Hag wants in a full back
  • Brandon Williams- promising start but not going to get anywhere
Everything above is correct. Now also add:
- Tuanzebe - he is our 7th choice CB
- Mengi - our 8th or 9th choice CB
- Chong - extremely poor in what he does, while no longer a youngster either

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
One of the flaws of the last summer window is that Jones, Williams (and Tuanzebe) are still here.. They should have really been moved on, only costing money at the moment.. Perhaps also AWB, the I really dont have a good insight in how far Laird is and whether he is good enough (yet) to get some games..

Baneofthegame

Williams, Tuanzebe, Jones, AWB are currently basically never going to get used unless we have a crisis.

Revan

Assumptionman
Williams, Tuanzebe, Jones, AWB are currently basically never going to get used unless we have a crisis.
Add to that Bailly and Telles. Ideally, we should get rid of all of them. While not exactly deadwood, ideally we get rid of Maguire and Henderson too. It is insane to spend 200k/week on a backup CB and 120k in a backup keeper.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Deadwood (Parts that are no longer useful, i.e. serve NO use)

Any young players for me can't be deadwood as they have a higher potential to improve that we cannot validate so my list of deadwood would be:

Heaton (Now we have DDG & Dubravka)
Henderson (Only on loan)
Bailly (Only on loan although I rate higher than Maguire it's clear his head isn't here)
Telles (Only on loan)
Williams
Tuanzabe
Jones
AWB (Not so much ability but definitely playstyle)

Others I would sell but can't claim they serve no purpose..

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
He's at QPR for the season so it's unlikely we're counting on him.
Yeah indeed, so I agree AWB isnt deadwood now, but he would have been last summer if Laird was far enough in his development..

Right now only Jones Williams and Tuanzebe are really deadwood..

Traub

AWB will be considered deadwood next year when we bring in a new RB. We are in a transition period, so there are a few players that will move to the deadwood pile next year, but for now we need them.

JB7

Deadwood (Parts that are no longer useful, i.e. serve NO use)

Any young players for me can't be deadwood as they have a higher potential to improve that we cannot validate so my list of deadwood would be:

Heaton (Now we have DDG & Dubravka)
Henderson (Only on loan)
Bailly (Only on loan although I rate higher than Maguire it's clear his head isn't here)
Telles (Only on loan)
Williams
Tuanzabe
Jones
AWB (Not so much ability but definitely playstyle)

Others I would sell but can't claim they serve no purpose..
Heaton isn't deadwood, he's useful for our home-grown number and the main thing with him is that clubs like to have 4 goalkeepers in the squad largely for training purposes, which we've got with De Gea, Dubravka, Heaton & Kovar. If he was to leave in the summer, we would more than likely replace him to maintain the balance. Indeed, it could be a very busy summer in the goalkeeping department, given that we clearly already need a new number one and De Gea and Heaton will be out of contract, Dubravka's loan will end (if he doesn't play a large number of PL games which can't yet be completely ruled out) and obviously Henderson appears to have burned his bridges with the club so you'd expect him to be sold.

Also as has been pointed out, AWB isn't yet deadwood due to being the only back-up right back in the squad. I agree he likely will be by next summer though.

wolvored

You are hampered by having to have so many English players as part of the squad. Otherwise one or two others could be moved on as deadwood. I would look at Maguire and Shaw next summer, but would have to hire two more English players somewhere in the squad.

Hal9000

Martial... When fit, healthy and on form I love him as a player but that's few and far between three days..

Lastwolf

The "deadwood" will naturally clear with contracts expiring, why we didn't bite Chelsea's hand off for Maguire I'll never know his value is gonna only drop in the next 12 months if this carries on and it looks like it will. We need to be more ruthless with surplus to requirements players and future planning.

We have 9 players with expiring contracts in the next 12 months.

Ronaldo, Heaton, De Gea, Jones, Shaw, Fred, Rashford, Tuanzebe, Dalot.

We've got options of further year on all of them, but we should attempt to resign what 4? Rashford, Fred, Dalot, maaaaaaybe Shaw. Of those 4 I'd say we have a strong negotiating position, I'd not entertain any nonsense from them if they want silly money, extend and look for a replacement by the time the year is up. De Gea is the same, I'd really worry about even extending him on 300k+ a week, if he'd take a large paycut, I'd consider a longer contract, regardless United should actively looking at keepers right now.

Cloudface

It's weird that we still have a lot of players who could leave without it impacting us too much. Despite having quite a few outgoings this summer. We could conceivably have another big churn of players over the next twelve months.

OUT
De Gea
Henderson
AWB
Maguire/Lindelof
Bailly
Jones
Tuanzabe
Telles
Williams
VDB
Ronaldo
Martial?

Leaving us with about another five to sign:

New GK, Dubravka, Heaton
Dalot, Laird(New RB)
Varane, Martinez, Maguire/Lindelof, Timber(NewCB)
Malacia, Shaw
Casemiro, Mctominay, Eriksen, FDJ (New CM), Fred, Bruno
Rashford, Sancho, Anthony, Elanga, New Striker, Martial?

b82REZ

AWB
DvB
Williams
Tuanzebe
Jones
Lindelof

Some players like Maguire, Fred, Martial are on the their last chance.

I think next summer will see a lot of outgoings.

Revan

Assumptionman
The "deadwood" will naturally clear with contracts expiring, why we didn't bite Chelsea's hand off for Maguire I'll never know his value is gonna only drop in the next 12 months if this carries on and it looks like it will. We need to be more ruthless with surplus to requirements players and future planning.

We have 9 players with expiring contracts in the next 12 months.

Ronaldo, Heaton, De Gea, Jones, Shaw, Fred, Rashford, Tuanzebe, Dalot.

We've got options of further year on all of them, but we should attempt to resign what 4? Rashford, Fred, Dalot, maaaaaaybe Shaw. Of those 4 I'd say we have a strong negotiating position, I'd not entertain any nonsense from them if they want silly money, extend and look for a replacement by the time the year is up. De Gea is the same, I'd really worry about even extending him on 300k+ a week, if he'd take a large paycut, I'd consider a longer contract, regardless United should actively looking at keepers right now.
Heaton should be resigned too. We will be short in homegrown quota with Jones and Tuanzabe leaving, probably one or more of AWB, Maguire and Shaw leaving too.

Essentially, we will have as homegrown players:

1) Heaton
2) Maguire
3) Jones
4) Tuanzabe
5) Shaw
6) Williams
7) AWB
8) Laird
9) McTominay
10) Sancho
11) Elanga
12) Rashford
13) Ronaldo

It is a large number, but the majority of them are useless and hopefully won’t be here too long.

Jones, Tuanzabe and Williams are like our biggest deadwood. AWB has no future here, and Ronaldo will leave in the summer. This essentially means that we can register 25 players next summer, which is totally fine, but if we replace Heaton with some non homegrown player, then suddenly we can have only 24, which while acceptable, is not the best way. In general, having the third keeper (who kind of never plays) as homegrown, is a good idea form homegrown quota.

Lastwolf

Heaton should be resigned too. We will be short in homegrown quota with Jones and Tuanzabe leaving, probably one or more of AWB, Maguire and Shaw leaving too.

1) Heaton
2) Maguire
3) Jones
4) Tuanzabe
5) Shaw
6) Williams
7) AWB
8) Laird
9) McTominay
10) Sancho
11) Elanga
12) Rashford
13) Ronaldo

It is a large number, but the majority of them are useless and hopefully won’t be here too long.

Jones, Tuanzabe and Williams are like our biggest deadwood. AWB has no future here, and Ronaldo will leave in the summer. This essentially means that we can register 25 players next summer, which is totally fine, but if we replace Heaton with some non homegrown player, then suddenly we can have only 24, which while acceptable, is not the best way. In general, having the third keeper (who kind of never plays) as homegrown, is a good idea form homegrown quota.
For the 25man squad only 8 need to be homegrown, so that shouldn't be a big deal, I'm not 100% of Ronaldo's homegrown status, but it's fairly moot as he's gone for sure next summer.

Promoting one of the youth keepers would probably be the best idea, why we keep getting in 3rd place keepers when our second keeper played all of 4 games last season is beyond me. If by some miracle 2 keepers get injured I'm not convinced Heaton or Lee Grant would be any better at the job than someone like Kovar at this point, it's never going to be great for any team to be getting into 3rd keeper is starting games.

Daonico

1) Heaton
2) Maguire
3) Jones
4) Tuanzabe
5) Shaw
6) Williams
7) AWB
8) Laird
9) McTominay
10) Sancho
11) Elanga
12) Rashford
13) Ronaldo

we also need 4 grown at the club for european competitions, so far we have (if I am not mistaken):
Heaton
Tuanzebe
Williams
Laird
McTominay
Elanga
Rashford
Ronaldo

that's eight, but all of them have question marks. Ronaldo, Williams and Taunzebe are surely gone, I have no idea of Laird current level... So I think we will keep the rest.

Jericho

AWB
DvB
Williams
Tuanzebe
Jones
Lindelof

Lindelof surely isn't deadwood. If he's willing to be a squad player he's good to have IMO. I don't know how much better we can expect a CB to be when they're more often than not going to be on the bench.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
AWB
DvB
Williams
Tuanzebe
Jones
Lindelof

Fred was one of our better players last year. He’s fine. Lindelof probably needed for depth.

The rest is spot on.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
One of the flaws of the last summer window is that Jones, Williams (and Tuanzebe) are still here.. They should have really been moved on, only costing money at the moment.. Perhaps also AWB, the I really dont have a good insight in how far Laird is and whether he is good enough (yet) to get some games..
Ten Hag said in a recent press conference about a week or so ago that the first three you mention were all injured, (at least at the end of the window) which prevented any move this summer. I don’t really think anyone would want Jones or Tuanzebe, but Williams could’ve definitely gone for a little bit more than we got for Garner.

b82REZ

Fred was one of our better players last year. He’s fine. Lindelof probably needed for depth.

The rest is spot on.
I agree but I think McT has risen the challenge in a way Fred hasn't. There's plenty of time for him to show his worth and I do rate him. But feel he'd be the first on the chopping block were we moving anyone on.

I feel Lindelof is below Maguire in the pecking order and IMO forth choice CB is generally deadwood and should probably be a position for our most promising youngster.

Personally I prefer Lindelof to Maguire and think he suits ten Hag better. But homegrown quotas are a thing so that has elevated Maguire up the pecking order.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I agree but I think McT has risen the challenge in a way Fred hasn't. There's plenty of time for him to show his worth and I do rate him. But feel he'd be the first on the chopping block were we moving anyone on.

I feel Lindelof is below Maguire in the pecking order and IMO forth choice CB is generally deadwood and should probably be a position for our most promising youngster.

Personally I prefer Lindelof to Maguire and think he suits ten Hag better. But homegrown quotas are a thing so that has elevated Maguire up the pecking order.
I think Fred will be a useful squad option for a pressing style of play. He’s already shown that last season under rangnick, when played in his best position and he’s allowed further up the pitch that’s when he’s at his best. He also showed that last game against arsenal, his pressing high up nearly got us another goal. He failed miserably in a DM position which everyone did under Solskjær.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Smalling, Jones, Schneiderlin, Rooney, Mata, Herrera, Rojo

Wrong transfer window?

Jones, Elanga, AWB, Williams.

Any on big contracts, the tiny contracts can just expire and leave on a free.

JB7

For the 25man squad only 8 need to be homegrown, so that shouldn't be a big deal, I'm not 100% of Ronaldo's homegrown status, but it's fairly moot as he's gone for sure next summer.

Promoting one of the youth keepers would probably be the best idea, why we keep getting in 3rd place keepers when our second keeper played all of 4 games last season is beyond me. If by some miracle 2 keepers get injured I'm not convinced Heaton or Lee Grant would be any better at the job than someone like Kovar at this point, it's never going to be great for any team to be getting into 3rd keeper is starting games.
It is for training purposes; it's better have four senior goalkeepers' day to day given goalkeepers do increasing amounts of their work with the team rather than having individual training plans as in years gone by. It's not unusual and is a theme I'd be amazed if we went away from.

Irwin99

I wouldn't call him deadwood as he's been unlucky with injury but Martial still has it all to prove. It's one thing being good in preseason it's another banging in 20 goals for the season and being consistent. Like Luke Shaw you could probably count two good, consistent seasons in 6+ years which is not great.

Jones, VDB, AWB, Williams, Tuanzebe -hard to see a future for these guys.

Classifying U21 players like Diallo, Pellistri, Elanga as deadwood is nonsense:nono:
Agreed on Elanga, but Diallo and Pellistri have been here for two years now and cost us, what, 40 million euros combined?

That's massive money for two players who, young as they may still be, don't look anywhere near ready to contribute to the team.

RVN1991

Jones
AWB
Shaw
Maguire
Lindelof
Bailly
VDB

I am going to give the younger players the benefit of the doubt and I'm on the fence on whether to include Fred, Martial and DDG.

Strootman's Finger

When has Fred been given the opportunity to rise to the challenge? And he has looked good when he's come on as a sub, but until he gets a run of starts I don't think anyone can determine whether or not he is responding to Ten Hag.

One thing people will learn about Ten Hag is he doesn't like to make changes, he gets a winning team, he sticks to it unless injuries force his hand. Now I do think McTominey deserves his spot at the moment, but considering Fred was one of the few players that could have walked out of last season with his head held high I will afford him a bit of grace until he gets a proper chance this season.

b82REZ

When has Fred been given the opportunity to rise to the challenge? And he has looked good when he's come on as a sub, but until he gets a run of starts I don't think anyone can determine whether or not he is responding to Ten Hag.

One thing people will learn about Ten Hag is he doesn't like to make changes, he gets a winning team, he sticks to it unless injuries force his hand. Now I do think McTominey deserves his spot at the moment, but considering Fred was one of the few players that could have walked out of last season with his head held high I will afford him a bit of grace until he gets a proper chance this season.
Ok.

What's that got to do with anything I said?

Status
Not open for further replies.