Who is our most important player this season?

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Can't choose between Varane, Martinez and Eriksen. But those three are the ones.

Tallis

Seems like we have quite a lot of these (which is another way of saying that our squad is weak).

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Eriksen.

Martial should be nowhere near the list.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Martial? I mean...the guy has played 45 mins all season and he has been injured the rest of the time. I like Martial myself and wish he progressed from that 1st season he had with us but he's shot mentally and cannot function unless he's the undisputed starter. And he ain't good enough to have that privilege.

Anyway, its a long season. Hoping we can win a trophy or two. Otherwise this would be another failure of a season and we've had six of those already.
Martial is there because like I said, theres nobody else in our squad who can do the role Ten Hag wants as a striker. You don't have to be the best player to be among the most important. We shouldn't be in a position where he's so important, but because of a lack of options... He is.

OT1214

Chose Varane because of the acute drop in quality in case he gets injured. Our season really hinges on him staying fit.

Drakul

Martial is there because like I said, theres nobody else in our squad who can do the role Ten Hag wants as a striker. You don't have to be the best player to be among the most important. We shouldn't be in a position where he's so important, but because of a lack of options... He is.
True. He shouldn't be but he is. We really needed a top CF... Have you seen Julian Alvarez? Guy looks like a gem. Quite mature too for his age. The decision to not spend any money last January seems more disastrous every minute. He or even Caicedo would have been great buys.

Coming to Martial, he's our best dribbler and can lay off balls to bring others into the game. Though...I think he has lost some pace. He ain't as fast as he used to be where he seemed to glide past defenders.

AlPistacho

Currently it has to be Varane because the defensive part of our game is the part that is winning us matches and Varane is the glue that keeps it all together.

David Bartley

Its very hard to pick one player. Eriksen has transformed the midfield. Verane has become a leader at the back. LB has become Malacias domain. Mctom, Dalot have improved greatly. Sancho and Rashford have found the back of the net.
Saying all that the one who came here and was looked as a joke signing by opposition fans, and pundits, endured a torrid start, but is now irreplaceable alongside Verane is Martinez. The way he has adapted to a much tougher league and better players is immense. We finally have a back 4 who look the business, and a team im excited to watch again.
So for me Martinez just shades it.
Vida and Evra were the same. Nightmares to start - they supposedly thought about getting a plane home - but both studied this league, trained hard, adapted their games to it and became fantastic players for us. Credit Licha.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Ronaldo being finished or not: 777 votes in

A poll on who is our most important player: 325 votes in.

... qué?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I pretty much agree with the results to be honest as Eriksen, Martinez and Varane have been our best performers so far, lets see how far that lasts.

croadyman

Chose Varane because of the acute drop in quality in case he gets injured. Our season really hinges on him staying fit.
Yeah he's now looking that player I was gutted we missed out on in summer 2011

Daneman

Its weird how you Got exactly what you needed in Eriksen, yet most posts are ‘how do we replace him’

LFG

To me it's between Varane, Eriksen and Dalot. Varane has been player of the season so far in my eyes and the two others have no replacements that can bring what they do.

Honorable mentions to Licha and Bruno

MrSingh2002

Eriksen
Martinez
Varane
Malacia

No1 in our squad can replace them if they're not starting.

CloneMC16

Nobody in the squad can do what Eriksen is doing. If he goes down, we're going to be in major trouble. We downgrade if other players get injured, but I don't think the drop off is anywhere near as severe as if it's Eriksen out. I never expected him to be this important to the team.

wangyu

The top 3 has never been more clearer: Eriksen Varane Martinez and my wild card vote to Rashford

Idxomer

After 3 months of the season, it's so clearly Varane because his absence means playing either Lindelof or Maguire.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
It has to be Martinez, Varane or Bruno. I'm leaning towards Bruno because he's unique, but we can't underestimate the damage of having one out of Maguire or Lindelöf in the team.

Can’t decide, the two centre backs are clearly massive, as are both Casemiro and Eriksson.
We often look shite without Antony or Martial and Rashford is by far our most dangerous player.

The problem is that the drop off from these lads is players who are stuck in an ever lasting hangover from last season, else are spent, or were never remotely good enough.

Shaw is probably the only player with a good replacement option, possibly Bruno too but that’d mean replacing Eriksen in CM. Rashford now has Garnacho as an option, which hopefully puts up in better stead there.

Idxomer

Hmmm… what would Martinez absence mean though? Not sure you’ve thought this through.
I think we could get away with Varane+1 more than the other way around because he's the only one quick enough to deal with any pacey forwards.

You're probably right though that both are equally important, it's just we experience Varane's absence more.

I think we could get away with Varane+1 more than the other way around because he's the only one quick enough to deal with any pacey forwards.

You're probably right though that both are equally important, it's just we experience Varane's absence more.
Oh I dun know, I think we saw enough last season of Varane +1.

A-man

Varane has been very good, but we have been doing ok without him.
Since Varane’s first injury we have played 11 games. We won 8 of them, 2 draws and 1 loss. Varane has played 3 of those matches (2draws, 1 win) -> we have won 7 and lost 1 without him.

Gungne

It has to be Maguire. It is most important that he does not play at all.

Idxomer

Varane has been very good, but we have been doing ok without him.
Since Varane’s first injury we have played 11 games. We won 8 of them, 2 draws and 1 loss. Varane has played 3 of those matches (2draws, 1 win) -> we have won 7 and lost 1 without him.
We've conceded 15 goals without him on the pitch in the league, he's a huge miss.

I don't think the defence has been doing ok without him and not only in terms of goals conceded.

norm87cro

IMO it has to be Martinez and if we dont sign a CF come January Rashford. I like the guy but he is not scoring 25+ goals anytime soon but if there is no decent CF come winter we have to rely on a 38 year old Ronaldo and the "a love the ball waaaay to much but some fans on the CAF think its composure and brilliace" Martial. But yeah our attack needs adressing in the next transfer window

AlPistacho

We've conceded 15 goals without him on the pitch in the league, he's a huge miss.

I don't think the defence has been doing ok without him and not only in terms of goals conceded.
Something a lot of people don’t realise . Especially after the win Vs West Ham

Judas

Open to offers
Said Eriksen orginally but now think Martinez. Varane I expect to miss plenty of games due to his injury issues. We simply can’t be playing Lindelof and Maguire together if we want to achieve anything.

norm87cro

It has to be Maguire. It is most important that he does not play at all.
He isnt and we are still letting in goals. At this point the escape goat train Maguire movement has to stop. We have a brilliant Martinez who is short and needs a taller team mate in the CB partnership, the spineless Lindelof and the injury prone Varane (who is great but is injury prone) in our defence.