Who is our third best player?

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think we can all agree that Bruno has come in and secured top spot as our best player

Overall, I’d say Rashford is our second best player - others may disagree

But I’d struggle to identify who our third best player would be. Rather than throw a few possible names out there, I wanted to see what others think

I think we can all agree that Bruno has come in and secured top spot as our best player

But I’d struggle to identify who our third best player would be. Rather than throw a few possible names out there, I wanted to see what others think
a really difficult question.

we have a lot of good players, but few that stand out. Look at midfield, and we have no idea who starts from game to game.

I’d go with Maguire. Although the forum certainly won’t like it!

SATA

Pogba should be among the top two or three but his popularity has taken a huge hit i guess. Perhaps Shaw for me as i really rate him highly

Red Royal

Not a bad thing to NOT have a definite 3rd, 4th, 5th etc best player. Need everyone to be able to step up and have a good game. Would prefer not to be a one man team.

Thaila-X

I'd agree with Maguire, gets a lot of stick but when he's available he's probably the second or third name on the team sheet.

justsomebloke

Well, do you mean third best as such, or third best in terms of importance to this team? If it's the former, then it's got to be Pogba. If it's the latter.....then you're right, it's a very hard question to answer. It's tempting to say Cavani following the last game, but we've not seen enough of him to really tell how that holds up. If not, Martial, Greenwood and Maguire would probably be the obvious candidates I suppose.

Lynty

Pogba or Martial.

Or are we disregarding the tail end of last season?

El Zoido

On paper it’s Pogba. In terms of value to the team at this current time, either Maguire or Fred.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Maguire. One day he'll start to get the credit he deserves

DavelinaJolie

Fred or Shaw probably. Fred is a dynamo in midfield and Shaw, when fit, is a quality left back.

IrishMcD

Bruno, De Gea and Pogba for sheer abilty. If it was based on current form, you would have to include Fred, so i would go Bruno, De Gea and Fred.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Bruno, De Gea and Pogba for sheer abilty. If it was based on current form, you would have to include Fred, so i would go Bruno, De Gea and Fred.
De Gea? I'm not even sure he's our best goalkeeper anymore.

DarkXaero

Fred has consistently been a top 3 performer in the team when he gets actual consistent playing time like he is now. The votes for Maguire are amusing.

Andy_Cole

Shaw? :lol::lol::lol:

For me it was Martial by a mile but he’s been horrendous this season.

It’s probably Cavani.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Pretty difficult to grade our players like that but I think we agree we have Bruno as top player for obvious reasons then:

- Fred, Maguire, AWB, DvB, DDG, Cavani (obviously a small sample size of games though) and maybe Rashford (certainly not on current form though) as a second level then:

- Shaw, Lindelof, Martial, Greenwood (hopeful he can get up to the next level), Henderson, Matic, McT and Mata on a third level then:

Telles, James, Williams, Lingard, Ighalo on a fourth level.

Last edited:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I would put De Gea, Pogba, Cavani, Rashford, Fernandes, and Maguire at about the same level. Obviously form varies a fair bit but they are all top level players. Martial looked at this level too but he hasn't done much for France and his form hasn't quite been there long enough.

Then the next tier has most of the rest of our first team squad: Martial, Shaw, Wan-Bissaka, Henderson, Lindelof, Telles, Bailly, Fred, Matic, McTominay, Mata, Greenwood.

Then the likes of Tuanzebe, James, Lingard, Williams.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
What a state we must be in if Shaw is seen by some as our 3rd best player

OleBoiii

I still think DDG is a top goalkeeper. He's our second best player, imo.

The problem with our squad is that we have many good players, but only 2 great(Bruno and DDG probably). It's hard to pick number 3 and 4, but for the wrong reasons. You could make an argument for AWB, Shaw, Maguire, Fred, Pogba, Martial and Rashford. The answer is far from clear cut.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
People saying Shaw, he isn’t even our best left back...

I don’t agree Rashford is our second best player either, he’s miles too inconsistent.

In terms of footballing ability Pogba is our best player & Martial is probably 2nd. In terms of overall contribution Bruno is easily our best player & Fred is probably 2nd.

Maguire is hugely overrated on here.

GueRed

Our most important players in my opinion are :

Maguire
Bruno Fernandes

then:

De Gea
Rashford
Fred

then whoever is in form i suppose:

Cavani and De Beek at the moment

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Those saying Pogba may as well mention Lingard. Both have about two good games per year.

OleBoiii

Regardless of who you think is our second or third best player, there should be no doubt that Bruno is at least a whole tier above them.

Those saying Pogba may as well mention Lingard. Both play about two games per year.
Fixed that for you.

without even appraising how good/ bad/ indifferent Pogba is, it’s no good if the guy doesn’t even play, which he doesn’t these days.

People saying Shaw, he isn’t even our best left back...

I don’t agree Rashford is our second best player either, he’s miles too inconsistent.

In terms of footballing ability Pogba is our best player & Martial is probably 2nd. In terms of overall contribution Bruno is easily our best player & Fred is probably 2nd.

Maguire is hugely overrated on here.
when most of the forum are seemingly vocal about saying how crap Maguire is, it’s a strange Statement to say he’s overrated on here.

Negative Red

Bruno, Cavani and Van De Beek are our best footballers I think. I terms of importance Fred and Shaw should have a shout. Not sure why Rashford is a shoe-in for second to be honest.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

when most of the forum are seemingly vocal about saying how crap Maguire is, it’s a strange Statement to say he’s overrated on here.
The haters are always louder then the lovers. He’s very popular on here. People were calling him the second best centre back in the the thread I made about him the other day.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Bruno, Cavani and Van De Beek are our best footballers I think. I terms of importance Fred and Shaw should have a shout. Not sure why Rashford is a shoe-in for second to be honest.
I love Bruno he’s my favourite player & easily our best player in terms of contribution, but Pogba is far more technically gifted on the ball than him.

iHicksy

From a purely talent perspective it should be Pogba second then Martial. However that's not the case. For me, in this team it goes:

Bruno
Cavani (not due to his last game - but because we look like a much better footballing unit with him leading the line) He should become integral for us.
Fred - However I think a month or two down the line we'll be saying that VDB or Telles is in third. VDB will help make this team tick when he's more settled. You can see glimpses in his play, he's one of those players that is progressive and incise with his passing and rarely gives the ball away. You need these players to become top class and handle the press.
Telles because he's the only player in the team that can really, really cross and we'll see how vital this is and how much we've missed it in the coming months.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
2 years ago Pogba topped our stats in every category, from goals to assists to tackles to interceptions.

Short memories.
2 years ago Lingard was dominating every game in London. Before that he scored a cup final winner in 2016 and was our best player in November/December 2017.

Short memories.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I would put De Gea, Pogba, Cavani, Rashford, Fernandes, and Maguire at about the same level. Obviously form varies a fair bit but they are all top level players. Martial looked at this level too but he hasn't done much for France and his form hasn't quite been there long enough.

Then the next tier has most of the rest of our first team squad: Martial, Shaw, Wan-Bissaka, Henderson, Lindelof, Telles, Bailly, Fred, Matic, McTominay, Mata, Greenwood.

Then the likes of Tuanzebe, James, Lingard, Williams.
I’d go with this, only I’d swap Pogba with Fred. Based on form of this season and last anyway.

RoyH1

In a couple of weeks we'll all be on the Cavani bandwagon.

Mihai

Pogba should be among the top two or three but his popularity has taken a huge hit i guess. Perhaps Shaw for me as i really rate him highly
Pogba's entire career in United has been about what he "should be".

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Those saying Pogba may as well mention Lingard. Both have about two good games per year.
He's been non-existent this year and it would've been better if he had never came on the pitch at all but those kind of posts are the reason why there are so many so-called "Pogba fanboys" around here.

A short answer would be this:
2 years ago Pogba topped our stats in every category, from goals to assists to tackles to interceptions.

Short memories.