Who is the best Asian footballer of all time?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This was your initial post.

And your definition of "decorated" is:

Following your definition of "decorated", Park shouldn't even be one because he hardly won any individual awards.

I can tell English is definitely not your first language. Its just the wrong word usage here. Decorated is a word used for a player who has won trophies for example someone like Giggs is decorated because of the 13x PL trophies. Nobody is going to talk about how many times he won Writers' association Player of the Year.
Where did I say decorated is individual awards? I can tell, you are once again cannot read. When I said ‘’Individual discussion’’, it doesn’t point to individual awards specifically. And beside, Park has been nominated in ballon dor nominee and UEFA Firwards nominee. Footballers being decorated is about being iconic, it’s an individual discussion what makes player an icon in Asian football.

thepolice123

The thread is about the best ever Asian player...
Check my posts. I definitely think Son is one of or if not the best Asian footballer.

I just don't think he is decorated that's all. Its a silly discussion over a word anyway.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
"Decorated" is what a player has won. Son has won feck all.
Decorated team is different to decorated player. Thus, you are wrong about team’s achievement to be relevant to individual discussion.

Visit the infidels...

Hakan Şükür maybe? Played for the Turkish team that came 3rd in the 2002 world cup, and scored about 0.5 goals per match on the international level (51 goals in 112 matches). Granted, he did stay in Turkey for large parts of his career, but was surely a greater footballer than Son.

Or any of the many soviet legends. Rinat Dasaev is Asian, and was considered among the best goalkeepers in the world in his prime. Many of the best soviet players were born in Moscow, so I guess they don't count.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
A decorated player has won a few trophies. Thus, you are wrong to consider Son a decorated player.
Is this achievement not enough to label Son as one of the decorative player in Asian football? That's one hell of achievements that at least all Asian Footballers apart from Park & Cha would dream of and willing to take as an example of. You just need to understand how to be decorative, not many Asian Footballer can do what Son has done or achieved and they are all dream about it.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Is this achievement not enough to label Son as one of the decorative player in Asian football?

Most of those are awards based on popularity decided by a another person, rather than objectively winning a trophy.

I wouldn't class most as "achievements" at all.

So no

Son is probably the best Asian player ever. One of the most decorated? Nah.

Eplel

that list would be much thinner if you took out goal of the month/season awards.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Most of those are awards based on popularity decided by a another person, rather than objectively winning a trophy.

I wouldn't class most as "achievements" at all.

So no

Son is probably the best Asian player ever. One of the most decorated? Nah.
Achievements still achievements mate. Majority Asians would be dream to achieve what Son has done so far, that's what makes him decorative. The iconic in Asian football.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I grew up watching football in the 90's, when Seria A was the dominant force! So for me, its Hideotoshi Nakata

Icemav

Son i think as well. Park is great, but talentwise i think Son has him.
Dunno..... I would argue that Park's talent as a central midefielder are easily the equal of Son's as a winger/wideforward. Park has battled with some of the best in the world and of an era and come out on top. Park is provem quality at the highest of high levels.... the only opponents who took the piss a bit were Xavi and Iniesta. Styles make fights as they say.

javanmard

Supports
Liverpool
Talent wise Ali Karimi was by far the best Asian player has ever walked in the pitch but he was lazy az feck in training.

GueRed

Paulino Alcántara's legacy is pretty timeless, probably the first genuine “star” of Asian extraction and a cornerstone of the earliest Barcelona dynasty with Samitier, Liñán and Zamora...

From a vastly different footballing landscape though, preceding even the foundation of the Primera División — so maybe there should be separate nominations for the prewar years (Paulino Alcántara stands head and shoulders above the rest for this category), the middle years (probably Cha Bum-kun) and the post-'80s period (Son Heung-min had done enough to overcome stiff competition from the likes of Nakata, Park and Myung-Bo).
This.

AkaAkuma

Achievements still achievements mate. Majority Asians would be dream to achieve what Son has done so far, that's what makes him decorative. The iconic in Asian football.
Son falls behind many Japanese players in terms of being iconic

Dwight Corke

Regarding goalkeepers from that continent, would Ali Al-Habsi be considered the greatest?

Not counting Australians as Asians.

thepolice123

Dunno..... I would argue that Park's talent as a central midefielder are easily the equal of Son's as a winger/wideforward. Park has battled with some of the best in the world and of an era and come out on top. Park is provem quality at the highest of high levels.... the only opponents who took the piss a bit were Xavi and Iniesta. Styles make fights as they say.
Son is the best winger in the prem currently, if you count Salah as a winger, then a toss up between the both of them. He is probably top 5 or even top 3 in the world.

He has reach a level far beyond Park's. And since when Park was a central midfielder?

Foxbatt

Sunil Chhetri - 72 international goals in 115 games
I would say that Ali Ashfag is as good as him if not better. 52 in 80 games. Plus he carried Maldives all on his own and was voted among the best 11 players in Asia. also the IFFHS International goal scorer of the year in 2013.
A lot of these players mentioned including Ashfag has not played in Europe and did not get the lime light.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Son is the best winger in the prem currently, if you count Salah as a winger, then a toss up between the both of them. He is probably top 5 or even top 3 in the world.

He has reach a level far beyond Park's. And since when Park was a central midfielder?
Son is definitvely not the best winger in the PL.
And he's not even the best South Korean to play for Bayer Leverkusen.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

How about Karim Bagehri? Scored 57 goals in 80 International games. He played as a DM. He surely should be on that list. I would also say Son is the best Asian player. To me he certainly is a much better player than Park.
Cha was a top player too.

Kopral Jono

The disrespect Nakata gets on this thread makes me wonder if some posters had actually ever watched him play. Sure, the hype surrounding him leading up to Japan/Korea 2002 was too much, but stats are not the end all and be all for players like him.

OleBoiii

It depends on what you value. Football is a team sport and Park is the definition of a team player. He's also the most decorated, so there's that. Is he the most skilled Asian player? No. Son probably takes that title.

siw2007

Son is the most talented Asian player I have seen in my life time. Not sure if he has had the same cult following that Park did for us though.

thepolice123

Son is definitvely not the best winger in the PL.
And he's not even the best South Korean to play for Bayer Leverkusen.
I know you like Cha but what has my post got to do with him? Or even Bayer Neverkusen? :confused:

You can add Grealish into the mix but its just matter of personal preference. My original point still stands.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The disrespect Nakata gets on this thread makes me wonder if some posters had actually ever watched him play. Sure, the hype surrounding him leading up to Japan/Korea 2002 was too much, but stats are not the end all and be all for players like him.
Nakata was a great player and the first Asian I really remember impacting on the European game. Probably a lot of people in this thread are too young to really remember him or may have just seen his short stint with Bolton. Didn't he retire at a young age to pursue fashion?

OleBoiii

Shinji Kagawa. IMO he had a bigger influence on his team than Son, and I'd rate both of their squads (2010 Dortmund and current Spurs) similarly, as being European dark horses. Probably rate Dortmund higher since they won a league beating the then emerging Bayern cycle which has dominating BL for the entirety of the last decade.
I agree that Kagawa's highs(2010 - 2012) beats Son's highs. And he's won more major trophies as well. Son clearly beats Kagawa on longevity/consistency, though.

Yasuhito Endo is probably the best Japanese player, just larger unknown as he never played in Europe.
I'm happy to see him mentioned in here! Fecking cool player. Excellent passer, great freekicks, rarely put a foot wrong. It's a damn shame he never played in Europe.