Who is the best Asian footballer of all time?

Dwight Corke

Hakan Şükür maybe? Played for the Turkish team that came 3rd in the 2002 world cup, and scored about 0.5 goals per match on the international level (51 goals in 112 matches). Granted, he did stay in Turkey for large parts of his career, but was surely a greater footballer than Son.

Or any of the many soviet legends. Rinat Dasaev is Asian, and was considered among the best goalkeepers in the world in his prime. Many of the best soviet players were born in Moscow, so I guess they don't count.
Good points. There are no solid criteria stated for considering a player "Asian" for the purpose of this conversation. Most likely because the nearly all the players put forward so far hail from countries that lie entirely within Asia and are members of AFC.

If we were to consider UEFA members that lie mostly or entirely in Asia, Turkish and Soviet players as well as the Israeli Benayoun deserve a mention.

If we were to go by AFC membership, Kewell and Schwarzer are legendary Asian players.

Gasolin

I still think Son is by far the best player among Asian players for me.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Suppose answer are as varied as you would get asking who the greatest European footballer is.

It is C. Ronaldo, by the way.

Dwight Corke

Nah, surely Rinat Dasaev (Soviet, born in Asian part of Russia) was a greater goalkeeper than Al-Habsi. Also Rüştü Reçber, with 120 caps for Turkey.
As I stated, the problem is the lack of well defined criteria for "Asian". We are not sure if Turkish and Soviet players count.

Ibi Dreams

I still think Son is by far the best player among Asian players for me.
He's probably the best, certainly the best I've seen. Hard to compare him with older players though, different eras. Maybe if Cha Bum-kun was playing now he'd be better than Son

Kopral Jono

Nakata was a great player and the first Asian I really remember impacting on the European game. Probably a lot of people in this thread are too young to really remember him or may have just seen his short stint with Bolton. Didn't he retire at a young age to pursue fashion?
As a close follower of the Serie A back then, I can say with confidence that in his prime Nakata was up there with the very best in the league. The problem with him was always consistency and, when at Roma, playing second-fiddle to Totti who was probably the best number ten in the world that time. It also didn't help that Totti linked up very well with Tommasi and Emerson or Di Francesco, all of whom formed the foundation to Roma's midfield in those days.

On bolded: he actually did, it was either fashion or modelling, I can't remember. What I do know is now he owns a sake brewery!

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Nakata was a great player and the first Asian I really remember impacting on the European game. Probably a lot of people in this thread are too young to really remember him or may have just seen his short stint with Bolton. Didn't he retire at a young age to pursue fashion?
I am in my 40's and remember him well. Im still sticking with Son as the best Asian player I have seen

OleBoiii

Cha
Probably the biggest player, overall. Was an absolute force in Germany in the 80's.

Nakata
The biggest name/celebrity. Retired at the young age of 29.

Park
The most successful. Definition of "team player". Skills also very underrated.

Kagawa
Arguably the highest peak. Fairly successful(2 Bundesliga, 1 DFB, 1 PL). Lacks longevity, though.

Son
Very similar to Cha in terms of talent. It's era vs era, though. If you have the opinion that modern football simply is better, then you might pick Son over Cha. There's no "right" answer here.

Endo
The "hipster's choice". A legend who never left Japan, often referred to as "The Asian Pirlo". Still plays at age 41!

Oranges038

From players I've seen I'd go between Park, Nakata or Son.

Nakata was a brilliant footballer. Had the most natural talent of the three. He was a joy to watch during his Serie A days, had a great strike of the ball from range. Scored some absolute crackers.

Park was awesome in terms of technique, stamina, movement and intelligence as a guy who is mainly remembered as someone who just ran around a lot his goals/assists stats for Utd are very good. Ultimate team player.

Son can run all day, his vision, movement, passing and finishing are excellent. His goals and assist output for Spurs is brilliant. Been one of the top forwards on the league for the last few years.

I'm gonna pick Park, I think he was a better all round player, overall he had the better career of the three, won more trophies, played for a better team, held his own in a magnificent Utd team and he got a special mention from Pirlo in his book. And I'm also slightly bias towards him.

OleBoiii

Paulinho Alcantara by a mile probably (Born in the philipines )
395 Goals in 399 Games for Barcelona
Retired at 31 and became a doctor
He moved to Spain at age 3, had a Spanish father, and ended up playing for the Spanish national team, though.

thepolice123

As a close follower of the Serie A back then, I can say with confidence that in his prime Nakata was up there with the very best in the league. The problem with him was always consistency and, when at Roma, playing second-fiddle to Totti who was probably the best number ten in the world that time. It also didn't help that Totti linked up very well with Tommasi and Emerson or Di Francesco, all of whom formed the foundation to Roma's midfield in those days.

On bolded: he actually did, it was either fashion or modelling, I can't remember. What I do know is now he owns a sake brewery!
The very best midfielders in Serie A at that time were the likes Rui Costa, Veron, Zidane, Nedved, Seedorf, Davids. Nakata was a good player but he was not THAT good c'mon. :lol:

Kopral Jono

The very best midfielders in Serie A at that time were the likes Rui Costa, Veron, Zidane, Nedved, Seedorf, Davids. Nakata was a good player but he was not THAT good c'mon. :lol:
Not quite Zidane, Nedved or Seedorf level but he was up there. Like I said consistency was the huge problem with him, but his top level was easily Rui Costa level.

Boavista

Nah, surely Rinat Dasaev (Soviet, born in Asian part of Russia) was a greater goalkeeper than Al-Habsi. Also Rüştü Reçber, with 120 caps for Turkey.
According to wikipedia Dasaev was born in Astrakhan, a city on the Volga river which is still considered Europe nowadays.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He moved to Spain at age 3, had a Spanish father, and ended up playing for the Spanish national team, though.
And afhillipino monther and he was born in the phillipines (and also played for the phillipines internationally) ... If that does not qualift as Asian then what does?

https://www.esquiremag.ph/life/sports/paulino-alcantara-a00304-20191213-lfrm2

In his first game with FC Barcelona, Alcantara hit the ground running by scoring the first three goals of the game, which ended with Barcelona winning 9-0 against Catala SC.

But his initial stint with FC Barcelona wouldn’t last as his parents brought him back to the Philippines in 1916 when he was around 19 years old. It was his return home that marked Alcantara’s legacy in the Philippine world of football.

The Philippine victory
A medical student by day and a Bohemian Sporting Club football player by night, Alcantara was instrumental in the club’s two first-place victories in the Philippines Championships in 1917 and 1918.

His performance in the club didn’t escape national attention as Alcantara was drafted to play for the Philippine national football team in 1917—a decision that led to one of the greatest victories in the country’s sporting history.

In a match against Japan in the Fast Eastern Championship Games, the Alcantara-led Philippine team destroyed the Japanese, 15-2. It was the Philippines' best international win to date, and still remains one of Japan’s greatest defeats. The epic moment would not have been possible without Alcantara.

But while the Philippines was enjoying the powerhouse player on their team, Barcelona was feeling the forward’s absence acutely. Since he left, the team hadn’t won a major trophy. Despite the team’s pleadings for him to return to Spain, his parents were adamant that he continue his studies to become a doctor. But that changed in 1917 when Alcantara became afflicted with Malaria. The stubborn player refused to take any medicine unless his parents let him return to his Barcelona team.

And it worked. By 1918, Alcantara was back in Spain and playing better than ever.

I would add that Di Steffano played for Spain (as well as argentina and columbia) - but personally i dont think that made him stop being south american ... under the modern rules where players cant change the team after representing the national team at senior level Alcantara and di stefano (puskus as well) could not have played for spain and personally i consider them fillipino, argentinian and hungarian... last i checked Phillipines is in Asia isnt it

thepolice123

Not quite Zidane, Nedved or Seedorf level but he was up there. Like I said consistency was the huge problem with him, but his top level was easily Rui Costa level.
If he is not on their level how can he be up there with them? Rui Costa was one of the best passers I have ever seen and was the hub of every team he played in, practically every attack was channeled through him.

Its been a long time but I don't think Nakata has ever displayed that kind of top level. I remember him starting against Liverpool in the UEFA Cup with Totti dropped, the spotlight was on him to shine and he played a very timid game. He was quickly subbed was out at half-time by Capello. Liverpool went on to win their historic "mini" treble :lol:. Not to mention he also had a very crappy WC2002 despite the massive hype.

From what I've seen of him, he was a Van De Beek type of midfielder who needs teammates to compliment his style rather than a Bruno Fernandes type who can take charge of a game by himself.

This was Rui Costa:

OleBoiii

@sun_tzu

I guess it boils down to "nature vs nurture". Personally I put more value in the nurture part. If you spend practically your entire childhood and teens in one country, then that country should get most of the "credit" for making you the player that you are.

Before I get cancelled up in here: this is purely from a sports perspective.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Thought he was good at Perugia, but didn't take that step up at Roma and translate those performances to a higher level. But that was quite a stacked league where most of the best attacking midfielders were in Italy around that time.

Kopral Jono

If he is not on their level how can he be up there with them? Rui Costa was one of the best passers I have ever seen and was the hub of every team he played in, practically every attack was channeled through him.

Its been a long time but I don't think Nakata has ever displayed that kind of top level. I remember him starting against Liverpool in the UEFA Cup with Totti dropped, the spotlight was on him to shine and he played a very timid game. He was quickly subbed was out at half-time by Capello. Liverpool went on to win their historic "mini" treble :lol:. Not to mention he also had a very crappy WC2002 despite the massive hype.

From what I've seen of him, he was a Van De Beek type of midfielder who needs teammates to compliment his style rather than a Bruno Fernandes type who can take charge of a game by himself.

This was Rui Costa:

Of course he can. Robben at his best was up there with Ronaldo and Messi but it doesn’t necessarily mean he was ever as good as them, even in his prime. My opinion stands: Nakata’s top level was world class, whether he performed consistenly at that level is an entire different issue altogether. I do agree with you on one thing, though, in that for whatever reason he was always utter rubbish playing for Japan. If I remember correctly he didn’t even get called up for his country for both the 2000 and 2004 edition of the Asian Cup.

Interestingly enough the same can be said about Rui Costa. Whilst obviously a generational talent, I’ve always felt he had a problem with consistency even at his peak.

Boavista

@sun_tzu

I guess it boils down to "nature vs nurture". Personally I put more value in the nurture part. If you spend practically your entire childhood and teens in one country, then that country should get most of the "credit" for making you the player that you are.

I don't think it's useful making that binary distinction, because it's personal and players can be more than one nationality. Also it's not really about a country getting credit or laying claim to a player. A player could be the greatest Filipino player and Spanish player at the same time. If Wan Bissaka decided to represent Congo at international level, he wouldn't suddenly stop being English too. Although I guess that still supports your nurture point.

Not sure that applies to Diego Costa, because why on earth would you choose to represent Spain when Brazil was about to host the world cup and were severely lacking a good striker. One of the most puzzling decisions.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
@sun_tzu

Giggs is English then I guess?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Easy for me: Hidetohi Nakata. Class, brilliance, flair... too bad he demotivated too soon and ended his career before truning 30 y.o. :eek:

thepolice123

Of course he can. Robben at his best was up there with Ronaldo and Messi but it doesn’t necessarily mean he was ever as good as them, even in his prime. My opinion stands: Nakata’s top level was world class, whether he performed consistenly at that level is an entire different issue altogether. I do agree with you on one thing, though, in that for whatever reason he was always utter rubbish playing for Japan. If I remember correctly he didn’t even get called up for his country for both the 2000 and 2004 edition of the Asian Cup.

Interestingly enough the same can be said about Rui Costa. Whilst obviously a generational talent, I’ve always felt he had a problem with consistency even at his peak.
Of course it is an issue. We are talking who is about the best Asian footballer of all time. Perhaps you are right and that Nakata has the highest peak but it doesn't count for much if he only displayed it sparingly. It will be doing a disservice to Asian players who have consistently played at a top level (Kagawa, Son, Cha) and players who have contributed greatly to their team's success (Park, Okazaki). Both of which were not accomplished by Nakata.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
But AFC has more spots up for grabs. Oceania had 0.5 spots or something I believe. So even though they won against New Zealand and all, they still needed to win the playoffs which was getting tougher. So they took the easy route out of Oceania and made an agreement with "spotless" AFC.
They called it a good thing for AFC to increase competition and quality in AFC.

But then a few countries already used to play in other federations.
Nah, they still had to compete an extra playoff against the South Americans for that last spot which was why they moved to the AFC. Oceania doesn't have a confirmed spot even for their winners.
True but they normally had to play the 5th placed South American side to get the final place and that was always difficult.
I do recall the game against Iran when El Tel was in charge and that was disastrous.
Ohh yeah, totally forgot about that play-off.

simplyared

His name is Pak Doo-Ik and he played in the North Korean side in the 1966 World cup. He scored the only goal against Italy to put his nation through to the quarter finals where they were beaten by Portugal 5-3. The match against Italy was played at Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough's home arena.
Reckon Son is the best though!
I rated Kagawa highly liked him as a player but we just didn't seem to get the best out of him.
Ji-sung Park of course!

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
Omar Abdulrahman.

I'm not serious, but the guy is an exceptional talent.
Talentwise he could have been amongst the best ten players in the world, I'm convinced of it.

To answer the question: The one and only Ali Daei. He still holds the records for most goals scored for the national team, even though C. Ronaldo will catch him soon.

Number32

National team achivement: Ali Daei (insane number of goals and records)
Club achivement in Europe: Hidetoshi Nakata (nominated for Ballon d'Or 3 times, and FIFA best player of the year 4 times)

Club and National team achivement: Park Ji Sung (just look at his trophies cabinet)