Who is the best striker option other than Kane/Osimhen?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Straightforward question really.

There's a high chance that we won't be able to secure either of the two most obvious options, either through being priced out or their club being unwilling to sell.

So assuming that happens, which striker is then your top choice and why?

croadyman

Kolo-Muani because offers some of the attributes from both but easier to negotiate with Leverkusen

Barthez

We need to stop fannying about and negotiate for our top targets. City never settle for second best so why should we

Von Mistelroum

I would say Kolo Muani too. He's top class and possibly as good as the other two even.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We need to stop fannying about and negotiate for our top targets. City never settle for second best so why should we
City literally previously failed to sign one of our targets. Going on to play much of the next season with a false #9. Having previously lost out on other targets, like Alexis Sanchez. So no, they don't always get their top targets.

And that's irrelevant to this thread anyway.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Rasmus Hojlund for me. Think he has huge potential. The big thing is we need someone with elite potential, not just good.

Vlahović is a strong avoid, he's never put up more than above average underlying stats, and doesn't do much outside of his goal threat, which isn't elite.

Kolo Muani looks good but I dunno, wasn't overly impressed when i saw him the few times and could see us looking a bit awkward with him up top for us. Likewise Goncalo Ramos. He seemed good, but maybe not good enough.

bucky

Muani and Ramos, which goes to show that there aren't that many good strikers currently. All 4 of them are too expensive.

peridigm

Because we fanny about the entire summer and end up signing our 3rd choice target for ridiculous money.

DickDastardly

I'd get Vlahović.

Yes his stats might be a little underwhelming.

But, he's big
He's young.
And he's a lefty.

And! If Juventus don't qualify for Europe which looks like it, he's gettable.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Ideally we would sign someone who is a good scorer (or potentially a good scorer) while being a good link-up player and good off the ball.

Two names jump out from the U-21 age brackets: Evan Ferguson and Rasmus Højlund, doubly so if we can somehow convince Benzema to join United on a 2 year contract. Would be risky signings for obvious reasons (on top of being quite expensive), but they are physically up to scratch (Højlund is more explosive but Ferguson is no slouch himself), evidence a decent eye for goal (which will improve with time), can drop deeper to link with the midfielders or set up the others forwards (like Rashford), are above-average pressers (which is important for a ten Hag team) and so forth. In terms of fundamentals, they have a lot going in the favor; just a matter of refining their qualities and harnessing the full extent of their potential (which will take some time as they're young and learning, but the rewards could be immense — imagine being in possession of a really good center forward in his early 20s...would be a complete luxury, and there would be no more agonizing over the medium term!) Rather take a punt on exciting talents (even though they don't boast top-of-the-line statistics at this stage) than older players who are a bit more predictive but seem rather iffy.

Stuff like this doesn't matter of course, but Brazil Scout published a video on Ferguson, and these comparisons are not entirely off the mark...

croadyman

I'd get Vlahović.

Yes his stats might be a little underwhelming.

But, he's big
He's young.
And he's a lefty.

And! If Juventus don't qualify for Europe which looks like it, he's gettable.
Would prefer him over Ramos but still putting Kolo-Muani above both of them

Okey

Vlahovic for me. I'm honestly still baffled by the Kolo Muani hype. He looks just above average every time I've seen him. Both for club and country. The amounts bandied about are surely a wind up.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Lautaro Martinez is the next best option, although he may not be attainable either.

Classic case of a player who goes from probably a bit overhyped to now underrated because he is no longer flavor of the month and had a mediocre World Cup.

Nickelodeon

Presume you are getting younger option too
Tbh, the striker market looks quite bleak. I would hate for us to spend medium money (50-70 million) for a good but not great striker. If it’s Kane, then he’s only attainable in 2024. Whether we get an older stop gap or a younger one with potential or both has to be a decision where our DoF earn their bucks.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
As much as we want/need an elite striker, I think a 15 goal and 5 assist striker would give us a huge lift. We don't have a striker currently, all we need is a threat and a decent link man.

Could be easier and smarter than chasing the huge names and being left with signing Che Adams on deadline day.

croadyman

As much as we want/need an elite striker, I think a 15 goal and 5 assist striker would give us a huge lift. We don't have a striker currently, all we need is a threat and a decent link man.

Could be easier and smarter than chasing the huge names and being left with signing Che Adams on deadline day.
Care to give us a name

Infra-red

The names mentioned above have probably already covered it. However, on the basis that Ten Hag has always quite liked having a big traditional #9 (at least as a squad option), I nominate Bundesliga top scorer Niclas Füllkrug.

L1nk

We’ve entered the market at a pretty rough times where the targets we really want are either unattainable and overpriced (Levy and Napoli president notoriously being the two hardest negotiators to deal with) or there are strikers with potential who I don’t think are quite ready to lead the line fully for us (Hojlund, Ferguson etc)

On paper Goncalo Ramos seems like the best choice but even he will be really expensive it seems. Kolo Muani I don’t get the hype at the prices quoted and if anything I think he will be going to Bayern.

I’ve said it before but I think Hojlund is our best bet this year because of the money it means we can put the rest towards a cheap but experienced striker to help Hojlund along (Like Wout but you know, actually good) and other signings we need elsewhere. We’d be getting a striker with a high ceiling that could lead the line for us for years to come and I don’t see a downside to this other than he may take a season or two to fully get going. But you never know, he has great attributes already to where if you put him ahead of the likes of Bruno he may hit the ground running with the amount of chances we create

croadyman

We’ve entered the market at a pretty rough times where the targets we really want are either unattainable and overpriced (Levy and Napoli president notoriously being the two hardest negotiators to deal with) or there are strikers with potential who I don’t think are quite ready to lead the line fully for us (Hojlund, Ferguson etc)

On paper Goncalo Ramos seems like the best choice but even he will be really expensive it seems. Kolo Muani I don’t get the hype at the prices quoted and if anything I think he will be going to Bayern.

I’ve said it before but I think Hojlund is our best bet this year because of the money it means we can put the rest towards a cheap but experienced striker to help Hojlund along (Like Wout but you know, actually good) and other signings we need elsewhere. We’d be getting a striker with a high ceiling that could lead the line for us for years to come and I don’t see a downside to this other than he may take a season or two to fully get going. But you never know, he has great attributes already to where if you put him ahead of the likes of Bruno he may hit the ground running with the amount of chances we create
Hojlund and Benzema,what about that?

Red Rash

Hojlund and Benzema,what about that?
As fantastic as he is an almost 36 year old Benzema would be a terrible transfer and so short term thinking. It would definitely feel like a step back compared to signing someone like Kane or Osimhen

croadyman

As fantastic as he is an almost 36 year old Benzema would be a terrible transfer and so short term thinking. It would definitely feel like a step back compared to signing someone like Kane or Osimhen
Osimhen looks impossible without Jassim

Munkehboi

I'd take Kyogo from Celtic. Would probably be the cheapest option. Has pace and amazing off the ball runs and an absolute fox in the box. Also runs his socks off and presses from the front.

Red Rash

Osimhen looks impossible without Jassim
Very unlikely maybe but it's the kind of player we should go for. A high quality striker at the right age. Someone like Benzema would have been great 5 years ago but signing him now with a huge salary and maybe just one good year would be a terrible decision financially.

croadyman

Very unlikely maybe but it's the kind of player we should go for. A high quality striker at the right age. Someone like Benzema would have been great 5 years ago but signing him now with a huge salary and maybe just one good year would be a terrible decision financially.
I totally agree but don't see it happening,so outside of him and Kane I go in order

Kolo-Muani
Hojlund
Vlahovic
Ramos

lex talionis

I'd go with the Hojlund as the best fit for us if not Kane/Osimhen. Eyeball test...no xG or other exotic stats to rely on.

Dansk

It's a lot easier to sign your preferred targets when you can offer an extra 50% under the table, or however much City's hidden payments amount to.

Bwuk

Vlahovic is behind Mitrovic in the Serbia pecking order for a reason. Crazy shout imo.

Cloud7

Evan Ferguson seems like the one.

We didn’t hesitate with a young Rooney, why hesitate with him?