Who is the best striker option other than Kane/Osimhen?

Yakuza_devils

With the signing of Mount we may not even need to sign a striker.

Mount play left wing, Antony right wing. The striker option will be Rashford, Martial and MG. MG in today's market is a 100M talent.

It's clear that after Mount signing, our next priority is GK - Onana. Not sure if we have enough left to sign a top striker.

This is the current plan with our FFP restrictions. Unless the club is sold soon don't hold your hope high on signing a top striker. Maybe a young potential striker at best if the Glazers still here.

Kaos

Mount play left wing, Antony right wing. The striker option will be Rashford, Martial and MG. MG in today's market is a 100M talent.

It's clear that after Mount signing, our next priority is GK - Onana. Not sure if we have enough left to sign a top striker.

This is the current plan with our FFP restrictions. Unless the club is sold soon don't hold your hope high on signing a top striker. Maybe a young potential striker at best if the Glazers still here.
So we're essentially playing Rashford and Mount out of position? And Greenwood isn't playing for us next season.

Yakuza_devils

So we're essentially playing Rashford and Mount out of position? And Greenwood isn't playing for us next season.
Yes, it's the budget version. Hope MG will be back. Maybe we will sign a young striker with big potential. After the signing of Mount and hopefully Onana soon we don't have much left for a top striker.

Hope I'm wrong because we can sell well and have more funds in for striker or the club being sold soon.

zaafi

Yes, it's the budget version. Hope MG will be back. Maybe we will sign a young striker with big potential. After the signing of Mount and hopefully Onana soon we don't have much left for a top striker.

Hope I'm wrong because we can sell well and have more funds in for striker or the club being sold soon.
We don't lack money. It's about FFP so we need to sell some players as well.

JPB

Should have bought Haller from Ajax when Ten Hag came. Would still like him here now.

Yakuza_devils

Should have bought Haller from Ajax when Ten Hag came. Would still like him here now.
We could be looking for a striker at this level. Kane and Osimhen are too expensive. Even Hojlund's fees is quoted to be very high too.

doomy20

Ridiculous. Playing players out of position and relying in Martial, a glass bone human with farmers league level, and Greenwood, are you serious? Even Antony is way below the wingers of the other top teams and needs to step up big time.

Last edited:

doomy20

Despite a record season from Rashford we still scored 36 (!) goals less than City, 30 less than Arsenal, 17 less than Liverpool, 14 less than Brighton, 10 less than Newcastle, 12 less than Spurs. Even fecking Brentford scored the same as us.

If anyone thinks we can even be close to the top 5 next season without a new number 9 ist just delusional.

Yakuza_devils

Ridiculous. Playing players out of position and relying in Martial, a glass bone human with farmers league level, and Greenwood, are you serious? Even Antony is way below the wingers of the other top teams ans needs to step up big time.
Relax. Rashford will be the main striker. If not MG, we will sign a "cheaper" striker. Martial is good enough for 3rd choice ST. Mount can play very well on the left.

As I said, this is the budget option. Of course the hope is that we sign a top ST for 100 - 150M after signing Mount and Onana. But I just don't see it with Glazers in charge.

doomy20

Relax. Rashford will be the main striker. If not MG, we will sign a "cheaper" striker. Martial is good enough for 3rd choice ST. Mount can play very well on the left.

As I said, this is the budget option. Of course the hope is that we sign a top ST for 100 - 150M after signing Mount and Onana. But I just don't see it with Glazers in charge.
Hope you are right and we even sign the cheap option.

Doracle

Because he’ll be 33 by the time the season starts and we don’t need another stop gap solution for a player who’s unproven in the league.

We don’t have the luxury of hoping his game can adapt.
To be fair, this is the one season having a stop gap solution is actually the right call.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Think Hojlund is the right profile of striker we can expect. Fbref notes similarities to Vlahovic - while the Serbian is slightly better in the air, Rasmus edges him out with the ball at his feet. PLUS he's 3 years younger at 19.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Mount as a permanent left winger? Eh? :houllier:

lex talionis

It’s mental beyond belief to suggest we don’t need a striker. No explanation required.

Hojlund ticks all the right boxes, assuming the is no path to Kane. And at this point there is no visible path to Kane. Hojlund’s age puts less pressure on him to produce immediately.

Stadjer

It’s mental beyond belief to suggest we don’t need a striker. No explanation required.

Hojlund ticks all the right boxes, assuming the is no path to Kane. And at this point there is no visible path to Kane. Hojlund’s age puts less pressure on him to produce immediately.
However Manchester United does need a striker that can produce right now. Hojlund might be young but people will (rightfully) expect him to produce anyway. Although after coming of a season with CR37, broken Martial and Weghorst surely whatever Hojlund will be able to produce will be an improvement.

OverratedOpinion

Ivan Toney is the best player I imagine we could afford. Unfortunately there isn't a player like Cavani knocking around on a free to tide us over until January.

We will probably sign the lad from Atalanta but that scares me as he is so young for the level of responsibility and hasn't really shown much. Feels like he should be playing the role Alvarez played to Haaland but we don't have a main man up top.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
To be fair, this is the one season having a stop gap solution is actually the right call.
If we’re signing a stop gap solution, it’ll be a player who has a track record of scoring in the premier league. Not someone in his 30s who has mainly played in France.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
However Manchester United does need a striker that can produce right now. Hojlund might be young but people will (rightfully) expect him to produce anyway. Although after coming of a season with CR37, broken Martial and Weghorst surely whatever Hojlund will be able to produce will be an improvement.
Meh, not sure to what extent that's true. Nobody really expects us to win the league next season, a repeat top four finish would basically be fine, and we could finish top four without our CF absolutely murdering it in terms of productivity. And in terms of improving us more generally, the bar has been set quite low by the Weghorst/Martial/Ronaldo collective we were treated to last season.

If a young striker showed a lot of potential and obviously improved us in general play, I don't think people would be overly critical if he wasn't producing like crazy in his first season. Unless he cost a fortune or we had an actual bad season as a team, I suppose.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

We will sign a striker and rightly so. You can quote me if we dont.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I keep seeing in articles, mentions about the striker market - people saying that it often striker transfers happens later in the window because "dominos fall" (maybe Thuram moving to Inter will trigger this? Or Kane to Bayern?)

In any case, I think Ten Hag is happy to wait for the striker transfer to happen, perhaps (hopefully) after the Qatari takeover because they're going to want to make a statement signing. Even Osimhen could be an option. I know there's FFP to consider, but I think the 92 Foundation will find a way (like Boehly with his 50 year contracts)

The Rasmus is heavily linked at the moment isn't he. But he's obviously young and raw.

Andy Mitten has said recently that Ten Hag likes Ramos, so I think him and Kane are the only ones you can say are his certain top preferences.

Yakuza_devils

We will sign a striker and rightly so. You can quote me if we dont.
I also think we will sign a striker. I was just describing the worst case scenario.

This window priority seems to be AM and GK but everyone thought it should be ST. I believe ETH know what he's doing.

With Glazers and FFP, I don't think we will go for a proven top striker.

SAFMUTD

So moving Rashford out of position, who is basically our only source of goals, to play Mount out of position as well.

Doesn't sound as the greatest idea.

Yakuza_devils

So moving Rashford out of position, who is basically our only source of goals, to play Mount out of position as well.

Doesn't sound as the greatest idea.
Worst case scenario with the leeches still at helm and FFP.

OverratedOpinion

Mason Greenwood will not play for us again. We retained him because you don't just throw away a valuable talent when someone else will buy him.

zaafi

Mason Greenwood will not play for us again. We retained him because you don't just throw away a valuable talent when someone else will buy him.
It really isn't that unlikely he'll play for us. All charges were dropped and they are still together while also expecting a child.

[Irrelevant point] for Chelsea killed his girlfriend and injured another while driving under the influence of alcohol and he still played for Chelsea. This is far worse than what Greenwood did imo.

OverratedOpinion

It really isn't that unlikely he'll play for us. All charges were dropped and they are still together while also expecting a child.

[Irrelevant point] for Chelsea killed his girlfriend and injured another while driving under the influence of alcohol and he still played for Chelsea. This is far worse than what Greenwood did imo.
I think the main problem with Greenwood is that he's too good. He would inevitably be a star player here and we are a huge global brand. Him being the face of us would be hugely damaging. If he was a squad player you wouldn't have such an issue.

Maybe "never" was a bit definitive but I'd bet good money he won't play for us in the upcoming season.

JediSith

I think Amad will be given a chance to challenge Sancho (assuming he stays) on the left, also Antony on right, so Rashford will be the main forward. Unless if we sign a big name like Kane or Osimhen

Green Army

Supports
Plymouth Argyle
I don't think it is possible to answer the question as it is posed. If the question was rephrased to be Who is the best Striker for the Premier League then it would be a resounding Kane.

HK, is not only our National Captian, but has delivered season in and season out in a series of poor Spurs teams. I can't help but feel that he would be a 30 goal a year striker in a Utd team with Bruno, Martial et al putting quality in the box. Osihmen looks promising, but the players who come from the Italian leagues into the Premer League don't tend to transition well and whilst there undoubtedly will be some successes, none immediately spring to mind.

Lautaro Martinez at Inter looks quality however, surely the priority this season should be a GK?

Last edited: