Who is the current best player in the world?

leonfl1337

I don’t mean to over exaggerate but based on current form it has to be Tuanzebe.
Lewandowski, with no doubt. He scores so feckin consistently. Its not only the amount of goals he scores, also the way he does. Just impressive. Closely followed by Lingard and Pickford.

Le Red

Feels surreal to ask this, but I legit have no clue who it is.

It can't be Messi with his poor form since the restart. Ronaldo isn't either.

Lewandowski? Probably has the best argument, but he doesn't exactly ooze 'best player in the world' when you watch him.
I think there'll be a general feeling for about 3 seasons that no player is really worthy of the title since Messi and Ronaldo set a ridiculous level of expectation regarding "best player in the world".
Past that stage, people will likely relearn to evaluate players by a more reasonable standard.
It'll be nice having a variety of players contending for this prestigious title once again.
It's a pity that the results will probably be skewed towards UCL/WC winners, always disliked that. At least with Messi and Ronaldo you knew the actual best player was receiving the prize, regardless of the achievements of their teams.

Web of Bissaka

Interesting how we can't come to the smallest consensus.

Right answer is no one.
No single best player in the world currently.

Lewa, CR, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, De Bruyne, Kane, etc are within contentions, the race is so close, no one is truly ahead far better than the rest. None atm.

Khalif_20

Utmost respect for CR7 and Messi, but they're the past. It's time to move on.

There isn't any single player reaching the peak those two had, but there are several world class stars with similar top quality. If one needs to be picked, it should probably be Mbappe.

Mbappe, Sancho, Sterling, Gnabry, Mané, Salah, Pogba, Bruno, TAA, VDV. I realize that KDB's omission is controversial, but in my opinion he's performing far above his actual skill because of Pep's system.

Next generation: Greenwood, Davies, Fati, Camavinga, Bellingham, Mejbri, Mengi, Chekri, Gravenberch. Maybe Haaland... but in my opinion he's just an in-form Lukaku.

theNortherner

On pure skill it is Messi for me, but he does not seem motivated at the moment. So I will go for Lewandowski instead.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Lewandowski
De Bruyne
Messi/Kimmich/Müller/Neymar/Mbappé

Probably something like this. It's insanely close.
Mane/Son/Haaland seem to be somewhere around as well. Maybe Kane in his current form as well.

Schneckerl

Probably Lewandowski right now. However, I think we're going back to how it's usually like in this sport that there is no clear answer to this question.
2008 - 2020 truly has been an anomaly.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Still Messi. Made Ramos look like a pubteam player for a while yesterday. Barcelona are just shite now.

Steven Berghuis a close 2nd.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Going back how far? The past year? Since the start of this season for the major competitions? Based entirely on stats ratings from the start of the respective competitions until now it looks like this. If you believe in stats at all that is ;)

Ligue 1
Mbappe 360mins 8.80
Neymar 360mins 8.25
Ferhat 540mins 7.91
Bamba 630mins 7.73
Di Maria 337mins 7.69

Bundesliga
Lewandowski 367mins 8.77
Kramaric 270mins 8.18
Muller 420mins 8.07
Kimmich 335mins 7.98
Haaland 386mins 7.92

LaLiga
Merino 540mins 7.92
Fati 312mins 7.66
Mereno 437mins 7.63
Oblak 450mins 7.43
Herrera 540mins 7.40

Serie A
Ibrahimovic 180mins 8.93
Lozano 240mins 8.40
Mertens 230mins 8.30
Belotti 360mins 8.19
Ronaldo 180mins 8.08

Premier League
Kane 444mins 8.65
Son 379mins 8.40
Rodriguez 422mins 8.34
Calvert-Lewin 430mins 8.14
Grealish 450mins 8.05

So top 5 are
Ibrahimovic 180mins 8.93
Mbappe 360mins 8.80
Lewandowski 367mins 8.77
Kane 444mins 8.65
Lozano/Son 240mins/379mins 8.40

Idxomer

Kane has been incredible this season, it's him and Lewandowski.

GazTheLegend

Lewandowski for another year.

After that? Probably Mbappé
Do people really see Mbappe as the best player in the world still? Even if you ignore that Rashford had a better game than him just gone and is still only 22 himself, Salah, Lewandowski, Muller surely all have a much more legitimate claim.

RUCK4444

Never thought I’d say it but in current form I would say Kane.

He’s gone up a level with his play making / assists whilst still being a deadly finisher.

Nobody else has really stood out as the definite best at the moment and amongst that I think he’s been incredible.

Interesting how we can't come to the smallest consensus.

Right answer is no one.
No single best player in the world currently.

Lewa, CR, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, De Bruyne, Kane, etc are within contentions, the race is so close, no one is truly ahead far better than the rest. None atm.
It makes things interesting.

bur let’s remember we are right at the start of the season, and it’s so inconsistent at the moment. A couple of players will no doubt come to the fore as the season progresses.

Lyricist

If people are not naming Messi or Ronaldo and want to name a center forward, I don’t see how they could choose anyone else than Lewandowski. The man has been in absolutely insane form, has won everything there was to win, and is an incredible playmaker as well.

Haaland?
Lewandowski is still superior in every aspect of the game.
I'd always side with a young hungry player in an average team over a 32 year old in a totally dominant team. There's not much between them otherwise, if you wanted to bring one player in right now.

GameOn

I'd always side with a young hungry player in an average team over a 32 year old in a totally dominant team. There's not much between them otherwise, if you wanted to bring one player in right now.
This is not about a player you want to build your future on though.

This is about the currently best player in the world.

Like I said: There is no aspect of the game, where Haaland is better than Lewandowski. In fact he's still pretty clearly a notch below Lewandowski's level in most areas.

This is not about a player you want to build your future on though.

This is about the currently best player in the world.

Like I said: There is no aspect of the game, where Haaland is better than Lewandowski. In fact he's still pretty clearly a notch below Lewandowski's level in most areas.
That's what I'm saying. If we were to bring one player into this current Manchester United team for this season only, Haaland would be it.

Blackwidow

One of about 4 Bayern Munich players probably.
It is even difficult when you take the Bayern players...

Neuer is for sure the goalkeeper goat - and he is important off the pitch.
Kimmich with his passing and his will
Müller is not the best with individual skills - but his match intelligence is something else and he is the cheerleader and commander and second coach on the pitch
Lewy for sure is the best forward - his goals tell it but in difference to years ago he is a teamworker now, too.

They are a very good mix and the best is that they fit together very well and get everybody to work together. That is why I actually do not like this individual awards. Bayern right now is so good because of the combination of individual skills and team.

Untd55

De Bruyne, Kane, Mane, Lewandowski, Mbappe, Kimmich, Van Dijk etc.

It is not as clear cut as it was with Ronaldo and Messi.

Can't really think of any standout performers in La Liga. Messi has dropped off a lot.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just wait until Billy Gilmour is back from his injury.
I know you're joking but I'm genuinely interested in the kid's development. Looks like a gem for you guys, when is he back?

GameOn

That's what I'm saying. If we were to bring one player into this current Manchester United team for this season only, Haaland would be it.
No chance at all.

Picking Haaland over Lewandowski for this season would be insanity.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I know you're joking but I'm genuinely interested in the kid's development. Looks like a gem for you guys, when is he back?
Lampard said this in the pre-match conference this weekend about Billy:

“Billy’s working really well, he’s probably three weeks away from his return. He’s working outside on his own with the physios still, we hope that he’ll integrate with either ourselves or the Under-23s to get some training minutes.

“So hopefully three or four weeks, probably the other side of the next international break all being well.”

Such a shame about the timing of his injury, he was coming along nicely.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Lampard said this in the pre-match conference this weekend about Billy:

“Billy’s working really well, he’s probably three weeks away from his return. He’s working outside on his own with the physios still, we hope that he’ll integrate with either ourselves or the Under-23s to get some training minutes.

“So hopefully three or four weeks, probably the other side of the next international break all being well.”

Such a shame about the timing of his injury, he was coming along nicely.
Cheers, will be interesting to see how many minutes he'll get.

neilv93

It's still Messi. He's getting older, game-managing more and surrounding by idiots on and off the pitch but he's still far and away the best individual player.

It's like claiming LeBron isn't the best player in the NBA just because he's now 35. He's still the best and will be until he retires - same applies to Leo.

Honourable mention for (obviously) Cristiano, Lewandowski and Kane (easily two best strikers in the world) and Mbappe - also Kimmich but unfortunately defensive-minded players will never get the same acclaim. Neymar is a fraud.

odrzut

Supports
Górnik Łęczna
- Lewandowski is a fantastic scorer, but I'm not sure he influences games by himself to the extent the other candidates do
Lewandowski had 10 goals 5 assists and 1 key pass in 5 first Bundesliga games this season. That's over 2 goal 1 assist per game. He singlehandedly won Bayern the 3-2 Hertha game despite leaky defence.

In UCL last season he contributed to all 7 goals over 2 legs of Bayern-Chelsea 7-1. He scored 3 and assisted 4. And somehow nobody notices because he doesn't dribble for 5 minutes - he just makes first-contact passes, runs and scores.

Gopher Brown

Utmost respect for CR7 and Messi, but they're the past. It's time to move on.

There isn't any single player reaching the peak those two had, but there are several world class stars with similar top quality. If one needs to be picked, it should probably be Mbappe.

Mbappe, Sancho, Sterling, Gnabry, Mané, Salah, Pogba, Bruno, TAA, VDV. I realize that KDB's omission is controversial, but in my opinion he's performing far above his actual skill because of Pep's system.

Next generation: Greenwood, Davies, Fati, Camavinga, Bellingham, Mejbri, Mengi, Chekri, Gravenberch. Maybe Haaland... but in my opinion he's just an in-form Lukaku.
:confused: