Who is the greater player: Ryan Giggs vs Gareth Bale

Who is the greater player?

• Total voters

OrcaFat

Well, you said you would like Giggs back in ‘this team’, and I imagine LW would be his most favoured role. We don’t play a 433.

And I would be highly disappointed if Rashford doesn’t become a better player than Giggs. I think it is well known that Giggs has more natural ability than most players over the past few decades - but the caf doesn’t put things down to touch, technique and talent when it suits their argument, but it is always what is implicitly used regarding Giggs to say he was a ‘better player’ than others. Rashford should be aiming to put himself in a bracket of the best few players/forward in world football for a large part of his career. Given that isn’t where Giggs spent his, I am hoping Rashford will surpass him.

And Giggs wouldn’t be in the best XI you described for me. I’d have Ronaldo on the left and Beckham on the right. Rashford wouldn’t be in it either of course.
I sure would like Giggs in this team and there isn’t a manager in the world who wouldn’t select him from our current squad.

Most games this season we’ve played with four at the back, three in midfield, a CF and two wide forwards, commonly abbreviated as 4-3-3. In Giggs‘ day, a left footer would usually play on the left but if he was coming through now, he might be played on the right. Either way, he would be in our team.

I agree Rashford is a very promising player and I don’t think it’s crazy to have high hopes for him but he’s got a long way to go.

The idea that Giggs does not get in our team of the last three decades is controversial - I don’t say your opinion is worse than mine but I’m pretty sure SAF would have Giggs in there. I recall he “picked” a dream team from his era and had Ronaldo as one of the front two.

youngrell

Giggs at Real Madrid would be nothing like his United career. Bale took a harder route going abroad to a club that shows literally 0 long term affection to their players or managers - nor particularly is great at planning anything out, just has the name of Real Madrid to always help them get players like the Ronaldos and the best players to win a CL title when they desire. Giggs would have deteriorated through a couple years at Real madrid and him being able to make a pass wouldn't make a difference to that club or fans.

"To win four, to go to Real Madrid, and be so successful, he's got to be [the best]," said Wales manager Giggs. Calls him the best Welsh Player.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44268013
More bollocks from you on this subject.

Ever heard of Raul? Pretty much the Giggs version of Madrid, only he moved on for a few seasons in his advanced years.

Every club is loyal to excellent players who still have an important part to play, Giggs wasn’t given a free ride at all, he contributed right til the end.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I sure would like Giggs in this team and there isn’t a manager in the world who wouldn’t select him from our current squad.

Most games this season we’ve played with four at the back, three in midfield, a CF and two wide forwards, commonly abbreviated as 4-3-3. In Giggs‘ day, a left footer would usually play on the left but if he was coming through now, he might be played on the right. Either way, he would be in our team.

I agree Rashford is a very promising player and I don’t think it’s crazy to have high hopes for him but he’s got a long way to go.

The idea that Giggs does not get in our team of the last three decades is controversial - I don’t say your opinion is worse than mine but I’m pretty sure SAF would have Giggs in there. I recall he “picked” a dream team from his era and had Ronaldo as one of the front two.
Yea tbh coming to think of it, Giggs would get into our current team on the right. As he spent his career on the left, I was looking at a straight Giggs vs Rashford competition, and for me, I’d choose Rashford everyday.

As for Fergie putting Ronaldo as one of the front two - it’s clear that has just been done to fit Giggs in. Ronaldo was not a striker for us (irks me the amount of times I see that written) and he played in the front two a handful of times. LW vs LW - he’s comfortably ahead of Giggs. And there are certainly at least two strikers who I’d put ahead of Giggs too, so Ronaldo should play in his natural position to avoid having to drop Rooney, Cantona, Van Nistelrooy or Cole for me. I think it’s a sentimental choice, and some sort of ‘lifetime achievement award’ more than anything else.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Im talking Spurs though not a different league that Giggs never played in .
Well, we’ll keep distorting the metrics until Bale’s advantages are either disqualified or somehow Giggs’ were accentuated shall we?

Saying that ‘Bale played in a team where he was the main goalscorer’ and ‘Giggs never played in Spain’ are straw man arguments that basically mean Bale’s pluses can’t be used. Bale was not signed as a ‘main goalscorer’ for Spurs. He was signed as a left-back! He himself became the main goalscorer because he was just that good, nothing else. Similarly to when a young Ronaldo was signed to replace Beckham, he wasn’t signed to be our leading goalscorer. He just became that. Giggs just didn’t, because he couldn’t.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
More bollocks from you on this subject.

Ever heard of Raul? Pretty much the Giggs version of Madrid, only he moved on for a few seasons in his advanced years.

Every club is loyal to excellent players who still have an important part to play, Giggs wasn’t given a free ride at all, he contributed right til the end.
Now that is bollocks. Raul is spanish and Giggs is welsh. Sure if Giggs was born in Spain and madrid the chances of him having a career like Raul is great, but he isnt - Giggs is welsh which is the same as Bale - one taking a harder career path than the other. It seems that even Giggs seems to agree with the way he talks about it, so I'm not really sure what else can be done. He says he is the best welsh player he has seen, highlighting his real Madrid career as excellent and rare.

lsd

The Oracle
Well, we’ll keep distorting the metrics until Bale’s advantages are either disqualified or somehow Giggs’ were accentuated shall we?

Saying that ‘Bale played in a team where he was the main goalscorer’ and ‘Giggs never played in Spain’ are straw man arguments that basically mean Bale’s pluses can’t be used. Bale was not signed as a ‘main goalscorer’ for Spurs. He was signed as a left-back! He himself became the main goalscorer because he was just that good, nothing else. Similarly to when a young Ronaldo was signed to replace Beckham, he wasn’t signed to be our leading goalscorer. He just became that. Giggs just didn’t, because he couldn’t.

Bale did not have the players around him at Spurs that Giggs did at Utd . He was clearly Spurs main man in his final 2 seasons .

Stats are meaningless when it comes to playing in teams loaded with superstars who all are capable of goals and assists let alone assists are by and large debateable anyway as you can lay a one yard pass one tona player who then proceeds to blast the ball into the top corner from 40 yards and you get an "assist "

I just think trying to compare players by stats is foolish as there are too many different circumstances to consider

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bale did not have the players around him at Spurs that Giggs did at Utd . He was clearly Spurs main man in his final 2 seasons .

Stats are meaningless when it comes to playing in teams loaded with superstars who all are capable of goals and assists let alone assists are by and large debateable anyway as you can lay a one yard pass one tona player who then proceeds to blast the ball into the top corner from 40 yards and you get an "assist "

I just think trying to compare players by stats is foolish as there are too many different circumstances to consider
I still don’t get your point, or rather, the significance of it. Bale was signed as a LB from the Championship. Spurs has other decent players, players who were meant to be the star players at Spurs ahead of Bale. Bale couldn’t get in the team for a while, and was on the verge of being sold. The fact that he went from that to being the ‘one superstar at the club’ is to his credit. He wasn’t a player they bought for £80m to surround him with £10m players to make him look better.

If not by stats, what do you propose we compare players on? Quality of their touch? Ability to turn full-backs inside out? Basically, any metric which makes Giggs look the better player? But not the impact they had on the game and on their team, of course not?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I have to go for Bale, but I did miss parts of Giggs career, even if I've seen highlights and full games on YT, I didn't follow the Premier league as much back then as I did when Bale first became a star. I think whether you're thinking of which of the two for one game, or for a season, I can't see myself picking Giggs over Bale. I'm not surprised to see Giggs so far ahead in the polls, but I wonder how other neutrals who are more educated than me on Giggs would feel about the comparison.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
If not by stats, what do you propose we compare players on? Quality of their touch? Ability to turn full-backs inside out? Basically, any metric which makes Giggs look the better player? But not the impact they had on the game and on their team, of course not?
I don’t actually agree with that poster’s argument in whole, but he’s right about the stats thing. It’ll of course have to be taken into consideration but it ignores all context.

This isn’t directed at you but I’ll see people jump into a thread and say ‘he’s only scored x amount he’s having a shit season’ having not watched a single game. If I was a mod I’d dole out instant bans. It’s a lazy reductive argument

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don’t actually agree with that poster’s argument in whole, but he’s right about the stats thing. It’ll of course have to be taken into consideration but it ignores all context.

This isn’t directed at you but I’ll see people jump into a thread and say ‘he’s only scored x amount he’s having a shit season’ having not watched a single game. If I was a mod I’d dole out instant bans. It’s a lazy reductive argument
In general, I am not one of the Opta-age fans, and I agree that footy shouldn’t be distilled to stats alone. I just think it’s a little ‘convenient’ to try and eradicate stats in a discussion where one player has scored considerably more than the other in this case.

Personally, stats have some value in these type of comparisons. But only when the difference is massive. For example, I am in no doubt in my mind that Messi is a better player than Ronaldo, and that is just by watching them. I don’t need to count all the goals and say ‘Messi scored 51 and Ronaldo only 49’ to say who is better. Both of them score a shit load of goals, so I couldn’t care less if Ronaldo scored 3 more than Messi in any given season. However, if he scores 23 more than Messi, regularly - then the conversation on stats becomes very valid. I can’t just insist Messi is ‘better’ than him because his game is more ‘beautiful’. That beauty needs to be matched with the substance to make you a ‘better’ player than someone who produces much more. Messi has that.

I think the productivity gap between Giggs and Bale is significant enough for it to not be dismissed in this case. If Hazard scored 35 goals a season, I’d probably put him above Ronaldo. It wouldn’t matter to me that Ronaldo scores 45. 35 is enough to not have lack of productivity used against you. Then you look at the rest, and Hazard is a much more beautiful player to watch. His 15 a season won’t cut it though in competing with Ronnie.

Stats aside, as I appreciate that an argument can be made that stats were not as relevant in Giggs’ prime, or wingers scored less in general - there is also the question of how highly Giggs was held at any particular time (not retrospectively in overall time). By the metrics of his own day, Giggs was not regarded as highly as Bale by the metrics of his day. Which makes the stats argument less relevant. Giggs wouldn’t have needed to score 25 goals to be regarded as the best player in the league in his day. By the metric of that day, he wasn’t that guy. Robert Pires was, for example. Ginola famously managed to win it with only 3 or 4 league goals in 99 (shouldn’t have, but it shouldn’t have been Giggs either). Figo was winning Balon’Dors with less than 25 goals. So the argument about ‘stats not being everything’ do not apply to Giggs for my money. Figo could argue that with Bale, and claim that in his own right - he was the best at his time, perhaps.

Giggs was the Wonderkid who never became the Superman for me.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Seen a few piping up about Bale's peak being higher than Giggs's but they fail to mention his nadir being way lower.

I remember him being hammered during his first couple of seasons at Spurs. Didn't they lose a record number of games in a row whenever he started?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Seen a few piping up about Bale's peak being higher than Giggs's but they fail to mention his nadir being way lower.

I remember him being hammered during his first couple of seasons at Spurs. Didn't they lose a record number of games in a row whenever he started?
His first couple of seasons at Real were far better than Giggs’ nadir. They were good seasons, his lowest points have without doubt been his last two. And last season wasn’t even that bad tbh, but this one has been shite.

Giggs’ has had his share of low points too, and at those points, the same noises that are being made about Bale today were being made about him. Many were questioning his place at United and thought he should be replaced.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
His first couple of seasons at Real were far better than Giggs’ nadir. They were good seasons, his lowest points have without doubt been his last two. And last season wasn’t even that bad tbh, but this one has been shite.

Giggs’ has had his share of low points too, and at those points, the same noises that are being made about Bale today were being made about him. Many were questioning his place at United and thought he should be replaced.
I was referring to his early Spurs years. If we're comparing the two then it makes sense to take their entire professional careers into account, not just the seasons when the stars aligned.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I was referring to his early Spurs years. If we're comparing the two then it makes sense to take their entire professional careers into account, not just the seasons when the stars aligned.
It also makes sense to not take the years where he was a left back into consideration.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
In general, I am not one of the Opta-age fans, and I agree that footy shouldn’t be distilled to stats alone. I just think it’s a little ‘convenient’ to try and eradicate stats in a discussion where one player has scored considerably more than the other in this case.

Personally, stats have some value in these type of comparisons. But only when the difference is massive. For example, I am in no doubt in my mind that Messi is a better player than Ronaldo, and that is just by watching them. I don’t need to count all the goals and say ‘Messi scored 51 and Ronaldo only 49’ to say who is better. Both of them score a shit load of goals, so I couldn’t care less if Ronaldo scored 3 more than Messi in any given season. However, if he scores 23 more than Messi, regularly - then the conversation on stats becomes very valid. I can’t just insist Messi is ‘better’ than him because his game is more ‘beautiful’. That beauty needs to be matched with the substance to make you a ‘better’ player than someone who produces much more. Messi has that.

I think the productivity gap between Giggs and Bale is significant enough for it to not be dismissed in this case. If Hazard scored 35 goals a season, I’d probably put him above Ronaldo. It wouldn’t matter to me that Ronaldo scores 45. 35 is enough to not have lack of productivity used against you. Then you look at the rest, and Hazard is a much more beautiful player to watch. His 15 a season won’t cut it though in competing with Ronnie.

Stats aside, as I appreciate that an argument can be made that stats were not as relevant in Giggs’ prime, or wingers scored less in general - there is also the question of how highly Giggs was held at any particular time (not retrospectively in overall time). By the metrics of his own day, Giggs was not regarded as highly as Bale by the metrics of his day. Which makes the stats argument less relevant. Giggs wouldn’t have needed to score 25 goals to be regarded as the best player in the league in his day. By the metric of that day, he wasn’t that guy. Robert Pires was, for example. Ginola famously managed to win it with only 3 or 4 league goals in 99 (shouldn’t have, but it shouldn’t have been Giggs either). Figo was winning Balon’Dors with less than 25 goals. So the argument about ‘stats not being everything’ do not apply to Giggs for my money. Figo could argue that with Bale, and claim that in his own right - he was the best at his time, perhaps.

Giggs was the Wonderkid who never became the Superman for me.
I agree completely about your points on stats, especially when we are talking about players of different eras. It's the same with basketball, which I'm a big fan of, the pace is so much higher now than it was in the past, that players end up with huge average numbers and we tend to overrate them compared to legends of the past, when the game is completely different. However in the example of Messi and CR7, or any players of any sports playing in the same era, I do feel stats become far more relevant, and the small differences become more meaningful than with players from different eras, especially when you take their roles in the offense into consideration and how they are both the focal point of their teams. They are also two players who are completely aware of their stats and being competitors are looking to always put up insane numbers, which is trickling down to the next generation coming up in a very stat-oriented media representing their sport, so its meaning will be even more emphasized and relevant in the future, whereas that wasn't as much the case in the 90's and prior.

Rossa

So Ryan Giggs is voted as the greatest United player of all time (at least Norwegian fan site), and some people think that Gareth fecking Bale is a greater player?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So Ryan Giggs is voted as the greatest United player of all time (at least Norwegian fan site), and some people think that Gareth fecking Bale is a greater player?
Probably because nobody got together and concluded that any vote held by a Norwegian fan site (which is probably just a United Supporters Club) is conclusive in anything.

I suspect the average Welsh football fan would say Bale is better than Giggs. Calling Giggs better is like saying Okocha is ‘better’ than Gerrard, because he’s more skilful. Yea, and what else?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Probably because nobody got together and concluded that any vote held by a Norwegian fan site (which is probably just a United Supporters Club) is conclusive in anything.

I suspect the average Welsh football fan would say Bale is better than Giggs. Calling Giggs better is like saying Okocha is ‘better’ than Gerrard, because he’s more skilful. Yea, and what else?
:lol: come on, you gotta find a better example than that.

Who do you think was better... Scholes or Lampard?

El Zoido

I wouldn’t disagree with anyone arguing Bale is better, but this statement is false. Also longevity is massive, maintaining the drive to be a professional footballer at the very highest level for more than two decades is incredible. We’re not talking about a player who had a long career at a mid table club, and no disrespect meant to such clubs, but doing at it United, competing for the title in almost all of those seasons. There’s a reason this sort of career is so rare. I’ll add to that, Giggs transitioned his career from a pacey winger to a ball-playing midfielder as successfully as any player I can remember. I don’t think Bale has that kind of ability, though his key attributes are sensational. His performances in major fixtures and finals exceed that of Giggs, and he’s has Wales punching well above their weight. It’s a good discussion because they’re great for different reasons.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
:lol: come on, you gotta find a better example than that.

Who do you think was better... Scholes or Lampard?
Why so?

Okocha is an African/Nigerian cult hero because we love beautiful football, but on the grand scheme of things - he wasn’t anywhere near as good a player as his ability suggested. We can’t claim him to be a great and then proceed to list all things he could do to defenders or with a ball as our defence. I feel that with Giggs, for the most part, he is being rated on excitement factor. Beckham was a better player than him, and he wasn’t as exciting. Giggs was a ‘better’ player than Okocha to be fair, but I think the point is valid.

If you want a different example, you could say Pogba and Scholes. Most of the caf would never have that Pogba is anywhere near as good a player. If the conversation was if he were as ‘talented’, they will probably have more agreement. But they wouldn’t accept a description of all the things Pogba can do with a ball as evidence that he is better, or a YouTube vid of his skills etc. Giggs has nothing on Bale except looking more pleasing, generally speaking, when playing football.

As for Scholes and Lampard, that’s a bery difficult comparison for me, and I’d accept any side of the fence you came down on. I suspect United fans will say it is their player, and Chelsea fans will say it’s theirs. From what I see, fans of neither slightly favour Lampard. Yaya Toure is the best ever PL midfielder to me anyway, and is never mentioned as often as those two (plus the other guy that comes as part of the package).

R0nald0

Under a rug on top of a mountain under the stars.
this basically depends on how you define "greatest".

Giggs was never in the top 5 players in the world whilst for 2-3 seasons, Bale clearly was. Balance that with Giggs' longevity and the ability to re-invent himself when his pace left him. It's like asking who the best player was between Ronaldinho and Robben.

for me, Bale wins this one, as does Ronaldinho in my other comparison.

If you're a United fan and you picked Giggs but also picked Ronaldinho, there is probably a good amount of United bias in your thinking!

El Jefe

I've always thought comparing Giggs and Bale or Mane for goals is just silly. Two completely different eras and two completely different roles.

In the 90s wingers were not expected to score bucket loads, they were creative players first and foremost. If they scored around 10-15 goals and kept creativity high they were top class. I mean Figo won the Ballon D'or in 2000 and scored 14 goals that season. In this era 14 goals is nothing but back then they were great numbers. The best wingers back then hardly ever broke the 20 goals mark because that was not the expectation.

In Bale's first fantastic season at Spurs, he played as a LW just like Giggs and got 'only' 11 goals. After that he changed position to more of a forward and has scored more goals ever since.

If you think Bale is better that's fine but using goals is a daft way of comparing them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For the record, Bale also ‘reinvented himself’ from a left-back to one of the best forwards in the world. And because ‘Giggs later transformed himself into a winger and I can’t see Bale doing that’ - I can see Bale easily transitioning into a centre forward, and all couldn’t see Giggs doing that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I've always thought comparing Giggs and Bale or Mane for goals is just silly. Two completely different eras and two completely different roles.

In the 90s wingers were not expected to score bucket loads, they were creative players first and foremost. If they scored around 10-15 goals and kept creativity high they were top class. I mean Figo won the Ballon D'or in 2000 and scored 14 goals that season. In this era 14 goals is nothing but back then they were great numbers. The best wingers back then hardly ever broke the 20 goals mark because that was not the expectation.

In Bale's first fantastic season at Spurs, he played as a LW just like Giggs and got 'only' 11 goals. After that he changed position to more of a forward and has scored more goals ever since.

If you think Bale is better that's fine but using goals is a daft way of comparing them.
It is no more silly than defining them by their ability to turn a full-back one way then another, which when it is all distilled, I think is happening a lot.

Mane and Bale are not just being placed ahead of Giggs (by me) because they scored more goals. I am aware that the game has changed. Both eras had different metrics. Bu the metric of their time, Bale and Mané have both managed to establish themselves amongst the very best players in the league and beyond. By the metric of Giggs’ time, he was not. We are not comparing Figo to Bale or Mané. We are comparing Giggs to Bale or Mané. A player who, in his own era, by that eras own metrics, was not rated as highly as these two. In an era where Figo won the Balon’Dor without having to score 30 goals, and Pires and Ginola won the PL player of the year without having to score 30 goals, what was Giggs’ excuse then?

adexkola

Supports
Why so?

Okocha is an African/Nigerian cult hero because we love beautiful football, but on the grand scheme of things - he wasn’t anywhere near as good a player as his ability suggested. We can’t claim him to be a great and then proceed to list all things he could do to defenders or with a ball as our defence. I feel that with Giggs, for the most part, he is being rated on excitement factor. Beckham was a better player than him, and he wasn’t as exciting. Giggs was a ‘better’ player than Okocha to be fair, but I think the point is valid.

If you want a different example, you could say Pogba and Scholes. Most of the caf would never have that Pogba is anywhere near as good a player. If the conversation was if he were as ‘talented’, they will probably have more agreement. But they wouldn’t accept a description of all the things Pogba can do with a ball as evidence that he is better, or a YouTube vid of his skills etc. Giggs has nothing on Bale except looking more pleasing, generally speaking, when playing football.

As for Scholes and Lampard, that’s a bery difficult comparison for me, and I’d accept any side of the fence you came down on. I suspect United fans will say it is their player, and Chelsea fans will say it’s theirs. From what I see, fans of neither slightly favour Lampard. Yaya Toure is the best ever PL midfielder to me anyway, and is never mentioned as often as those two (plus the other guy that comes as part of the package).
Because while I agree that Gerrard > Okocha, the gap between the two is so obvious (honors won, peak performance, longevity) that it's obvious I go for Okocha because of other bias (personally Atlanta > Istanbul and feck anyone who disagrees)

Regardless of how you feel about Giggs and Bale, no reasonable person can argue the same gap exists between the two players, in favor of Bale.

adexkola

Supports
I have to go for Bale, but I did miss parts of Giggs career, even if I've seen highlights and full games on YT, I didn't follow the Premier league as much back then as I did when Bale first became a star. I think whether you're thinking of which of the two for one game, or for a season, I can't see myself picking Giggs over Bale. I'm not surprised to see Giggs so far ahead in the polls, but I wonder how other neutrals who are more educated than me on Giggs would feel about the comparison.
Another thing:

There are a few neutrals who i'd trust to have an objective opinion on this topic (@Gio is one of them). Why? Because they actually know their stuff and have an understanding of European Football beyond the few marquee games that occur each season. Being a neutral doesn't mean shit if all you do is tune into a few CL games each season.

If you made a poll on who was the better player between Giggs and Messi on this forum I know what the distribution in results may be. United fans may be biased but I don't think that accounts for the poll results, I just think that having watched Giggs career they are in a better position to understand truly who the better player was. And it's not like Bale played for Sevilla... He played for Tottenham and Real so plenty have seen both.

El Zoido

For the record, Bale also ‘reinvented himself’ from a left-back to one of the best forwards in the world. And because ‘Giggs later transformed himself into a winger and I can’t see Bale doing that’ - I can see Bale easily transitioning into a centre forward, and all couldn’t see Giggs doing that.
He went from a left wing back to a left wing forward. In terms of attributes and disciplines they’re very similar roles.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Because while I agree that Gerrard > Okocha, the gap between the two is so obvious (honors won, peak performance, longevity) that it's obvious I go for Okocha because of other bias (personally Atlanta > Istanbul and feck anyone who disagrees)

Regardless of how you feel about Giggs and Bale, no reasonable person can argue the same gap exists between the two players, in favor of Bale.
Of course, and agreed. The extremity of the gap was just used to highlight the point. If it were too marginal I thought it may lead to some sort of debate as to whether the hypothetical Okocha WAS actually better than the hypothetical Gerrard, which wasn’t the point of my argument. I could have said Gascoigne and Gerrard perhaps.

The thing about this Giggs/Bale comparison is that I’ve been on the caf long enough to confidently say that Giggs would never win this debate if they were too different examples of identical players. The things Bale has in his favour, in any other conversation, are weighted far more than in this conversation. You can probably look at the caf consensus on Pogba as an example, who is a decent equivalent to Giggs in many respects in terms of natural talent vs consistency and impact on games. Nobody is backwards in highlighting those things and making what they see is a clear distinction between talent and potential and the actual player that they think they get. Likewise, many people still think Ronaldo js better than Messi, belittling Messi’s superior ball control etc in the process. Or see how Neymar is spoken about, despite his magical skills. Then there is Giggs, who all the same reason is thrown out of the window for, because of one reason or another, and the fact that he was ‘wonderfully talented’ now counts most after all.

El Jefe

It is no more silly than defining them by their ability to turn a full-back one way then another, which when it is all distilled, I think is happening a lot.

Mane and Bale are not just being placed ahead of Giggs (by me) because they scored more goals. I am aware that the game has changed. Both eras had different metrics. Bu the metric of their time, Bale and Mané have both managed to establish themselves amongst the very best players in the league and beyond. By the metric of Giggs’ time, he was not. We are not comparing Figo to Bale or Mané. We are comparing Giggs to Bale or Mané. A player who, in his own era, by that eras own metrics, was not rated as highly as these two. In an era where Figo won the Balon’Dor without having to score 30 goals, and Pires and Ginola won the PL player of the year without having to score 30 goals, what was Giggs’ excuse then?
I understand your points both of which are valid but you lose me when you group Mane and Bale together. Earlier in the thread I actually said I thought Bale had a much better peak than Giggs and at the rate he was going it wouldn't have been debatable. Injuries and poor decisions staying in Madrid too long have hurt his case.

Say what you want about Giggs but he was a mainstay of 3 of our dynasties under Sir Alex. Now while he wasn't the Alpha in any of the teams it says a lot that he had both longevity and flexibility in his game to play in different ways in these teams. Check his individual awards, they aren't concentrated in the early 90s, its throughout his career and that tells me how good of a player you are. He was just around so long at a good level that people took it for granted, same thing happened with Seedorf.

Mane is excellent and has been on another level for the last year and a half but he'll need far more than that to convince me he's better than Giggs.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I understand your points both of which are valid but you lose me when you group Mane and Bale together. Earlier in the thread I actually said I thought Bale had a much better peak than Giggs and at the rate he was going it wouldn't have been debatable. Injuries and poor decisions staying in Madrid too long have hurt his case.

Say what you want about Giggs but he was a mainstay of 3 of our dynasties under Sir Alex. Now while he wasn't the Alpha in any of the teams it says a lot that he had both longevity and flexibility in his game to play in different ways in these teams. Check his individual awards, they aren't concentrated in the early 90s, its throughout his career and that tells me how good of a player you are. He was just around so long at a good level that people took it for granted, same thing happened with Seedorf.

Mane is excellent and has been on another level for the last year and a half but he'll need far more than that to convince me he's better than Giggs.
Mané has been very good for a lot more than a year and a half. For at least 2.5 years, he’s been a better player than, consistently so, than Giggs ever was in terms of equivalence to me. As for grouping him with Bale, that wasn’t my intention per se, it is two separate conversations that have been grouped together by others. In another thread I was widely ridiculed and most were convinced I was trying to wind others up or joking for daring to suggest that Mané was better than Giggs. So it has been brought into this thread.

I just think the whole longevity thing is a bit if a skew, and is a separate argument rather than who is the better player. For a start, I don’t think Giggs’ spell as a midfielder holds any relevance at all in a comparison with another winger. That isn’t to say it isn’t impressive, but if Giggs was not better than player x while he was a winger, then he’s simply not a better winger than player x. Is he a better central midfielder than Mané? I’m certain he is. So what?

Most players don’t have the same career path as Giggs. Players move about. We had a bunch of players who never wanted to leave home. The vast majority of players won’t stay with their ‘family club’ until they are 40. Most won’t have the luxury of just changing position when they can’t play wide anymore, they’d be sold a lot quicker than a Giggs would. Things were different at United, and it is clear we treated those players a little differently. That isn’t necessarily some sort of slight on them or the others.

I think Giggs was a great player, but the wonderkid never became the superman in my opinion. As talented as Giggs was, our team was often more about the person on the other wing in Beckham and Ronaldo. He was par with Kanchelskis I’d say, and that was also the best period of Giggs’ career I’d say, at least as a winger. He was absolutely frightening in his early years, looked like he could have gone on to be the best player in the world, or one of them anyway. Instead, at different points of what should have been his prime as a winger, he allowed himself to be bettered by the likes of Robert Pires and Harry Kewell (who to be fair to him, was sensational at Leeds).

El Jefe

Mané has been very good for a lot more than a year and a half. For at least 2.5 years, he’s been a better player than, consistently so, than Giggs ever was in terms of equivalence to me. As for grouping him with Bale, that wasn’t my intention per se, it is two separate conversations that have been grouped together by others. In another thread I was widely ridiculed and most were convinced I was trying to wind others up or joking for daring to suggest that Mané was better than Giggs. So it has been brought into this thread.

I just think the whole longevity thing is a bit if a skew, and is a separate argument rather than who is the better player. For a start, I don’t think Giggs’ spell as a midfielder holds any relevance at all in a comparison with another winger. That isn’t to say it isn’t impressive, but if Giggs was not better than player x while he was a winger, then he’s simply not a better winger than player x. Is he a better central midfielder than Mané? I’m certain he is. So what?

Most players don’t have the same career path as Giggs. Players move about. We had a bunch of players who never wanted to leave home. The vast majority of players won’t stay with their ‘family club’ until they are 40. Most won’t have the luxury of just changing position when they can’t play wide anymore, they’d be sold a lot quicker than a Giggs would. Things were different at United, and it is clear we treated those players a little differently. That isn’t necessarily some sort of slight on them or the others.

I think Giggs was a great player, but the wonderkid never became the superman in my opinion. As talented as Giggs was, our team was often more about the person on the other wing in Beckham and Ronaldo. He was par with Kanchelskis I’d say, and that was also the best period of Giggs’ career I’d say, at least as a winger. He was absolutely frightening in his early years, looked like he could have gone on to be the best player in the world, or one of them anyway. Instead, at different points of what should have been his prime as a winger, he allowed himself to be bettered by the likes of Robert Pires and Harry Kewell (who to be fair to him, was sensational at Leeds).
Mane had an excellent first season but it was cut short by injuries. The next season and the first half of 18-19 he spent a lot in Salah's shadow, was still good of course but from 2019 onwards is really when he's truly been one of the best in the league.

When comparing players, of course longevity has to be a part of it. You talk of Kewell and Pires but Giggs was in PFA teams of the year way before and way after their peaks. Greatness is achieved through trophies, performances and longevity. This is why people speak of Giggs so highly.

You speak of Giggs as if Sir Alex was treating him as a charity case. He was here for so long because he merited it and played at a very high level until around 2011. Him changing position also speaks to his greatness. In 2005 we let Keane go and lost Scholes to an eye injury for the whole season. Giggs comes in to play CM alongside O'Shea and was excellent in leading us back on track. Our dominance from 2006/07 onwards doesn't happen without Giggs and Scholes. Rooney and Ronaldo scored but Giggs created so much for the team with 17 assists. He was one of the reasons why this team has so many trophies over his 20 year career.

You are seriously underestimating Giggs' impact on the team and his legacy. He has the most assists in PL history and third in CL history behind the GOAT pairing Messi and Ronaldo. Yes his highest points might have not been enough to win him a Ballon D'or or be in the running for it but what he's been able to do over his career is so impressive because of how hard it is to replicate.

Mane will need a lot more than what he currently has to be in a conversation with Giggs.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The more talented winger/wide forward and better player at his peak is Bale. But if we're talking greater footballer it's Giggs every single day for me.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Mane had an excellent first season but it was cut short by injuries. The next season and the first half of 18-19 he spent a lot in Salah's shadow, was still good of course but from 2019 onwards is really when he's truly been one of the best in the league.

When comparing players, of course longevity has to be a part of it. You talk of Kewell and Pires but Giggs was in PFA teams of the year way before and way after their peaks. Greatness is achieved through trophies, performances and longevity. This is why people speak of Giggs so highly.

You speak of Giggs as if Sir Alex was treating him as a charity case. He was here for so long because he merited it and played at a very high level until around 2011. Him changing position also speaks to his greatness. In 2005 we let Keane go and lost Scholes to an eye injury for the whole season. Giggs comes in to play CM alongside O'Shea and was excellent in leading us back on track. Our dominance from 2006/07 onwards doesn't happen without Giggs and Scholes. Rooney and Ronaldo scored but Giggs created so much for the team with 17 assists. He was one of the reasons why this team has so many trophies over his 20 year career.

You are seriously underestimating Giggs' impact on the team and his legacy. He has the most assists in PL history and third in CL history behind the GOAT pairing Messi and Ronaldo. Yes his highest points might have not been enough to win him a Ballon D'or or be in the running for it but what he's been able to do over his career is so impressive because of how hard it is to replicate.

Mane will need a lot more than what he currently has to be in a conversation with Giggs.
Longevity is certainly a key part of player comparison, but only to an extent. A player needs to play well for long enough for us to establish it as a lev for them. Otherwise, we’d be calling players GOATS off the back of a good month. That said, once a player has held a peak level for a few years - it is enough, for me anyway. What Giggs has done is mighty impressive, but a player is not required to play for 20 years in order to be a great. There are many greater players than Giggs who played at the top for a lot less time, and there are greater players than Giggs today who had established themselves as greater than him years ago, and they haven’t even retired yet. This is why I think it is important to not attach too much of his greatness because of his longevity. His longevity is to be praised separately.

I do realise that my previous post did seem to downplay Giggs slightly, so I retract some of that. I didn’t mean that Giggs was a charity case, nor was Fergie or anyone else who hung arou for that long. But the conditions were unique and different to any most other clubs. Giggs performed over 20 years, on and off, but the conditions to play yourself in and out of form for years were not enjoyed by other players. The manager himself never changed, so there was no added pressure of proving yourself to different men. But most importantly, other players move, for various reasons. They might start off lower and need a couple of moves to make it to a top club. They might want different experiences. All of these moves present a set of challenges that Giggs didn’t face. Which if course is no fault of his own, but that was all I meant previously, and I think is a factor in the conversation of longevity. Maybe if Leeds were not relegated, O’Leary stayed for 20 years, and Kewell didn’t bother to ever leave and try a different environment - he’d have had a lot more seasons like the ones he had just before he left. Pires had to wait until 26 to join Arsenal, and didn’t retire there either. In the time he was in the PL, he was at the very least Giggs’ equal. The whole 20 years thing is a bit of a red herring in these particular discussions I think. Peak level is far more important, as long as we’re not talking about a good 6 months or anything ridiculous like that.

As for Mané needing ‘a lot more than what he currently is to be in a conversation with Giggs’ - how much better does he need to get? It is admittedly a shorter sample, but he’s been a better player than Giggs was for two years I think. I don’t think he needs to do it for 20. Giggs didn’t do that for 20. He just played football at the top for 20. If that is what we are counting, Mane has been an impressive player, consistently, since he came to England with Southampton (and probably before). This right now is a peak for him, but he was playing well before, and Giggs has had seasons that were not as good as seasons Mané has turned out for Southampton himself. He hasn’t had seasons as good as what Mané is doing currently. So the implication would be that Giggs’ longevity is at 20 years, and Mané is at about 2 - which would suggest that Giggs was brilliant for 20 years and that Mané was rubbish before the last couple. Neither are true.

I’m more interested in comparing player’s best form with each others. Providing there is enough of a sample to draw. That is football. I never understand why people want to always get into a ‘bottom level’ debate. It’s not that relevant. Why would you take two great players and rank them based on who can outdo the other when they both decide to be shit, when the purpose of the comparison is because they both happen to be good?

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Bale is clearly the better match winner, better big match player and stats prove it out

Giggs best seasons in the PL:

93/94 - 13 goals 7 assists
95/96 - 11 goals 9 assists
99/00 - 6 goals and 12 assists
01/02 - 7 goals and 12 assists
02/03 - 8 goals and 10 assists

Then compare to Bales best:

15/16 (only 21 starts) - 19 goals and 10 assists
13/14 (only 24 starts) - 15 goals and 12 assists
12/13 - 21 goals and 4 assists
17/18 (off 20 starts) - 16 goals and 2 assists
11/12 - 9 goals and 12 assists

Not only that he's bossed 2 CL finals. If he wasn't so injury prone he'd be seen in a far brighter light

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bale is clearly the better match winner, better big match player and stats prove it out

Giggs best seasons in the PL:

93/94 - 13 goals 7 assists
95/96 - 11 goals 9 assists
99/00 - 6 goals and 12 assists
01/02 - 7 goals and 12 assists
02/03 - 8 goals and 10 assists

Then compare to Bales best:

15/16 (only 21 starts) - 19 goals and 10 assists
13/14 (only 24 starts) - 15 goals and 12 assists
12/13 - 21 goals and 4 assists
17/18 (off 20 starts) - 16 goals and 2 assists
11/12 - 9 goals and 12 assists

Not only that he's bossed 2 CL finals. If he wasn't so injury prone he'd be seen in a far brighter light
Even though using just goals and assists to judge a player is stupid, you’ve not included how many matches Giggs started for any of his seasons.
I can’t imagine why an Arsenal fan would underrate Giggs. :wenger:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Another thing:

There are a few neutrals who i'd trust to have an objective opinion on this topic (@Gio is one of them). Why? Because they actually know their stuff and have an understanding of European Football beyond the few marquee games that occur each season. Being a neutral doesn't mean shit if all you do is tune into a few CL games each season.

If you made a poll on who was the better player between Giggs and Messi on this forum I know what the distribution in results may be. United fans may be biased but I don't think that accounts for the poll results, I just think that having watched Giggs career they are in a better position to understand truly who the better player was. And it's not like Bale played for Sevilla... He played for Tottenham and Real so plenty have seen both.
Personally, I think there are two different things between being better vs greater. Greater, to me, has not just to do with playing ability but the accomplishments that came with it, so in this case, despite the poll numbers being this disparate, I can accept that Giggs is seen as the greater player without thinking there is a huge united bias. However, if we're talking who is the better player as opposed to great (not that Bale's trophy cabinet is anything to sneeze at), then such drastic difference in poll numbers has to be questioned.

And just as you have a hard time trusting neutrals to have an objective opinion on this topic, so do I struggle to trust some of the opinions on this forum. I'm sure there's plenty here who are being objective and going with Giggs, but for the poll numbers to be that far apart, you'd really think it was Messi vs Bale. So it really comes down to whether we are talking about greater vs better. I think it's fair to say Giggs is still the greater player while I'm not as sure it's a slam-dunk case for him being the better player.