Who is the most underrated footballer in modern history?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Puyol. Or Sam from the Dog and Duck. Or Lee Trundle.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Others have already mentioned him, it's Benzema. What a player.

diarm

I saw a headline recently about Samuel Eto'o not getting the credit he deserves. I didn't read the article to be fair but he rarely gets spoken about in the same circles as the great strikers in European football, despite scoring an absolute fecktonne of goals wherever he played.

10 seasons with 30+ hauls is incredible going.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Carrick seems very much under appreciated/rated outside of United fans.
This. Absolute Rolls Royce of a player. With a more extrovert personality he might have stood up and been noticed a bit more but I think that would have made him a different player and likely worse.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
This. Absolute Rolls Royce of a player. With a more extrovert personality he might have stood up and been noticed a bit more but I think that would have made him a different player and likely worse.
I really wonder how non biased football followers (so non United/Liverpool fans) would rate Carrick vs Henderson...

Skills

Snitch
Not underrated as such, but injuries at key times have robbed Marco Reus of a much higher standing in football. Robbed of a world cup in 2014 - and if he was fit he might've been the star player that team.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I honestly feel a lot of people underrate (or refuse to see) how insanely good Neymar is on his day, because most people feel he's such a massive cnut.. The reactions after the recent PSG - Bayern games surprised me as so many people's inintial response was about what a diving crying baby Neymar was again in stead of applauding him for his performance..

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Agreed pex. Even some of our very own fans still underrate him. I was sort of in that camp as well. Always thought he could have “shown a bit more aggression when the chips were down”. But as you mentioned, it’s rarely in that type of playmakers nature. I’ve appreciated him more and more since retirement.

Bertie Wooster

Guti.

He played 542 games for Real Madrid as a classy, creative midfielder (occasionally pushed further forward into attack) as a regular for around a dozen years, winning 3 Champions League titles in teams with 'recognised greats' like Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Raul...

Yet Guti rarely gets mentioned from that era, and for whatever reason only played 13 times for Spain. One of the best passers of a ball I've ever seen - he produced some amazing assists.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Gabi, I think. Him being underrated is even a bit understandable as he was a late-bloomer who did a lot of thankless work for a team that wasn't the most glamorous or aesthetically pleasing; almost like he fell out of the ugly-duckling tree and hit every branch on the way down. Particularly in recent years, a lot of casual football watchers associate Atlético with Simeone, Griezmann, Koke, Godín, Luís, Saúl — and oftentimes, Gabi's name gets lost in the mix, even though his influence within the team (as a leader and a combative lynch-pin type in midfield) was second to none. Finished his career with zero international appearances as well...an unfortunate byproduct of being born in the wrong era for Spain from a functional/stylistic standpoint, and being a bit long in the tooth by the time he hit peak performance levels. What a player, though — a tireless release valve for the harshest defense of the decade, while also dictating the team's overall play.

This goal at Camp Nou was quite symbolic...Gabi with the delivery and Godín with the finish; the two pillars of the team combining to finally disrupt the Barcelona—Real Madrid duopoly, and clinching the first league title for Atlético in close to 2 decades!

Kag

Carrick is rated exactly as he was: a very good player who wasn’t quite a great one. That’s fine. I’m not sure why (some) United are so insistent in their view that he is ‘underrated’.

How so, exactly? Most football fans would recognise that he was an important player for United. Please don’t mention England either; he often underwhelmed for England and that was entirely his fault.

Brightonian

Dider Drogba. Appreciated during his career but has seems to have disappeared from the conversation in a way that Rooney, for example, hasn't. Didn't contribute quite as much to all-round team play as Rooney but was a more consistent centre-forward. He was always the striker from another team who I coveted.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ribery.
Comfortably one of the best dribblers in the game.

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I saw a headline recently about Samuel Eto'o not getting the credit he deserves. I didn't read the article to be fair but he rarely gets spoken about in the same circles as the great strikers in European football, despite scoring an absolute fecktonne of goals wherever he played.
You can probably extend this to any of the players who were part of Barcelona's mid 00s CL winning team but not of the Pep team (although Samuel was there in the first year) except Ronaldinho. Totally overshadowed by the next team.

What counts as modern football? The PL era?

of course we have the most rated, underrated footballer in history in Denis Irwin.

A lot of people have mentioned Benzema. When Ronaldo was there, yes - but think he’s now recognised as the player he is.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I honestly feel a lot of people underrate (or refuse to see) how insanely good Neymar is on his day, because most people feel he's such a massive cnut.. The reactions after the recent PSG - Bayern games surprised me as so many people's inintial response was about what a diving crying baby Neymar was again in stead of applauding him for his performance..
Agree.
Neymar, for all of his theatrics, is still one of my favourites players to watch.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Guti.

He played 542 games for Real Madrid as a classy, creative midfielder (occasionally pushed further forward into attack) as a regular for around a dozen years, winning 3 Champions League titles in teams with 'recognised greats' like Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Raul...

Yet Guti rarely gets mentioned from that era, and for whatever reason only played 13 times for Spain. One of the best passers of a ball I've ever seen - he produced some amazing assists.
I don’t think he ever played in any of their CL finals which is surprising.

Edit: didn’t even make the squad for any of them

Last edited:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
This also for me. Without being biased as a Utd fan, Scholes is criminally underrated. The best footballer I have seen in my lifetime playing for Utd
Why do you think he's underrated? What players should he compare with?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Think Cavani could qualify for this. Despite being one of the most prolific scorers of the last decade or so, I never got the sense that he was thought of as highly as some of the other top players of his era.

We're obviously hearing a lot more about it now because he's playing for us, and the commentators mention his goal-scoring record at every opportunity, but until then he almost went under the radar to a certain extent. Perhaps it's just ignorance on my part, but I never got the sense that he got the credit that his record deserved. Including from me.