Who is the most underrated footballer in modern history?

OleBoiii

Vieira
Keane
Scholes
Lampard
Fabregas
Alonso
David Silva
Gilberto Silva
Modric
I rate Carrick higher than Modric and Alonso in the context of the PL. They are both better players than Carrick overall, though.

Was Gilberto Silva that good? I must admit that I had completely forgotten about him :p

David Silva is more of an AM in my book, even though he spent his last years further down the pitch. Lampard too, perhaps.

KeanoMagicHat

Playing in the French league will have that effect
But Cavani also has an excellent record in Italy, prolific for Napoli, maybe even better there than he was for PSG. And great at international level too. It’s no surprise he’s still going well at United because he’s done well everywhere.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Marcos Senna.

I feel he was among the best players in 2008 Euros, but somehow he has been completely forgotten.

OleBoiii

That's because it's debatable and not because he is underrated the top 10 list in the PL era is extremely good. You have the likes of Keane, Scholes, De Bruyne, Makélélé, Gerrard, Lampard, Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Vieira, Gilberto Silva(who is actually forgotten), Yaya Touré and I'm forgetting a lot of players.
I separate between AM and CM in this case. Players like Gerrard, Lampard, D.Silva, Toure and De Bryune spent the best part of their careers in a more attacking midfield role.

I also judge players purely based on PL performance, which means that length of stay comes into play. Alonso, Mascherano and Modric had a couple of very good seasons before being shipped off and having their best years elsewhere, so I rate Carrick higher than them overall.

At the end of the day it's mostly subjective, based on the criteria you set. But even when using "my" criteria there are some people who wont put Carrick anywhere near a top 10 list, which is criminal, imo.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Modric, though rated quite high (winning Ballon d'Or), belongs to all-time great midfielders, and the best complete CM among modern midfielders, master of all trades really. And has stayed at the top for so long, unlike say Xavi.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Modric, though rated quite high (winning Ballon d'Or), belongs to all-time great midfielders, and the best complete CM among modern midfielders, master of all trades really. And has stayed at the top for so long, unlike say Xavi.
He is rated that way already, imo.

Monkey bus

David Beckham. Recognised globally for being famous more than being one of the best strikers of the ball I’ve ever seen.

Yaya Toure. Became more famous for being a bit of a bell end, but I remember when he was carrying that City team and for me was one of the best complete midfielders I’ve seen.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I separate between AM and CM in this case. Players like Gerrard, Lampard, D.Silva, Toure and De Bryune spent the best part of their careers in a more attacking midfield role.

I also judge players purely based on PL performance, which means that length of stay comes into play. Alonso, Mascherano and Modric had a couple of very good seasons before being shipped off and having their best years elsewhere, so I rate Carrick higher than them overall.

At the end of the day it's mostly subjective, based on the criteria you set. But even when using "my" criteria there are some people who wont put Carrick anywhere near a top 10 list, which is criminal, imo.
Touré played the vast majority of his games as a CM, as have De Bruyne, Gerrard and Lampard. In the case of Touré it's not even close which makes the claim a bit strange. Xabi Alonso spent 5 seasons and Mascherano 4 seasons in the premier league. The problem with your criteria is that they are not based on what actually happened, the time and position players played and you seemingly give more great seasons to Carrick than he deserves.

I rate Carrick highly and could put him at the end of my top 10 but I can easily see that it's debatable and absolutely not criminal to have him anywhere between 11 and 20.

RUCK4444

This also for me. Without being biased as a Utd fan, Scholes is criminally underrated. The best footballer I have seen in my lifetime playing for Utd
Absolutely. I said it jokingly but it’s absolutely true.

Drop prime Scholes into the league today and he’s the best player in the league. Not the flashy stuff like Bruno and others, just the pure ability to control a game.

He could speed up our tempo and slow it when needed almost like he was playing fifa in control of the team.

He would be the first name (without a second thought) on my team sheet in every single United squad I’ve watched in my lifetime.

JPRouve

Scout
Absolutely. I said it jokingly but it’s absolutely true.

Drop prime Scholes into the league today and he’s the best player in the league. Not the flashy stuff like Bruno and others, just the pure ability to control a game.

He could speed up our tempo and slow it when needed almost like he was playing fifa in control of the team.

He would be the first name (without a second thought) on my team sheet in every single United squad I’ve watched in my lifetime.
As top red as it may sound, there is no chance that I pick a different pairing than Keane and Scholes.

RashyForPM

Because they’re rival fans
My point is, you don’t see rival fans telling us how crap Rashford is, or how crap Zlatan was, or how Rooney and Ronaldo were overrated. Aside from us United fans because we absolutely love him, everyone else seems to dislike Bruno himself, even leaving aside club allegiances. It’s strange, thus making him underrated.

OleBoiii

Touré played the vast majority of his games as a CM, as have De Bruyne, Gerrard and Lampard. In the case of Touré it's not even close which makes the claim a bit strange.
If "CM" includes everything from Carrick to De Bryune/D.Silva, then the pool of options became ridiculously large. Playing with 3 midfielders has been the standard for most of the PL era. We should make a distinction between players like Carrick and De Bryune, as their roles are so different. It's like lumping fullbacks and centerbacks together.

Xabi Alonso spent 5 seasons and Mascherano 4 seasons in the premier league.
That's not very long, imo. And if I recall correctly, none of them hit the ground running. The moment they were considered hot commodity, it didn't take very long before they left England and spent their best years elsewhere. That's why I don't think it's wrong to rate Carrick higher than both(and Modric for that matter).

But I feel that we have left my main point now. I would put Carrick in the top 10 based on my (supposedly) weird criteria. But with "your" criteria I can accept that he's potentially as low as 20 on some people's lists, as that would hardly be an insult considering the other people in front.

My main problem are the people who think that Carrick hardly deserves a mention when discussing all-time greats and think that he is nowhere near a top 10 list(or top 15 on your criteria). And that is just not right.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I would say Rooney is the most underrated United player outside of our fanbase.

Dont think many football fans, onshore or off, rate him particularly highly.

JPRouve

Scout
If "CM" includes everything from Carrick to De Bryune/D.Silva, then the pool of options became ridiculously large. Playing with 3 midfielders has been the standard for most of the PL era. We should make a distinction between players like Carrick and De Bryune, as their roles are so different. It's like lumping fullbacks and centerbacks together.

That's not very long, imo. And if I recall correctly, none of them hit the ground running. The moment they were considered hot commodity, it didn't take very long before they left England and spent their best years elsewhere. That's why I don't think it's wrong to rate Carrick higher than both(and Modric for that matter).

But I feel that we have left my main point now. I would put Carrick in the top 10 based on my (supposedly) weird criteria. But with "your" criteria I can accept that he's potentially as low as 20 on some people's lists, as that would hardly be an insult considering the other people in front.

My main problem are the people who think that Carrick hardly deserves a mention when discussing all-time greats and think that he is nowhere near a top 10 list(or top 15 on your criteria). And that is just not right.
4 and 5 years is long in football, it's about a third of a decent professional career, and those years were played at a high level during their respective primes. But my point is that almost everything you said is debatable which is why your claim that Carrick definitely is a top 10 CM in the PL era is debatable. And of course the pool is ridiculously large which again is why it's debatable if you don't accurately discriminate, for example Carrick mainly played the role of DM for United not CM while Gerrard/Touré played more games as CM than any other positions, that's why your point is debatable, you give more leeway to Carrick than you do for other players.

Carrick being a top 10 DM in the PL era is a lot less debatable though.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
Casemrio benzema and other madrid players get enough credit these days. Hardly underrated.

I would go for iniesta. Eveytime his name is brought up it comes as a package with xavi. But iniesta would be brilliant in any team and I can't say the same for xavi.

Brilliant, entertaining and a winner.

JPRouve

Scout
The strange thing about Benzema is that his greatness shouldn't even be debated, he has the stats, the longevity, the trophies and the versality. Unlike many players Benzema showed that he could adapt his game to a more dominant player and still be a crucial part while still exploiting his own qualities. There isn't a lot of strikers in the history of the game that could play with Ronaldo and genuinely thrive. Someone like Rooney comes to mind but he didn't manage to last as long at the top.

I would say Rooney is the most underrated United player outside of our fanbase.

Dont think many football fans, onshore or off, rate him particularly highly.
can’t speak for outside of the UK. But don’t think he’s underrated here at all. He’s England’s top goal scorer.

GlasgowCeltic

Heard Benzema described as a "warhorse" and a "grizzled veteran" by the Beeb over the course of the Liverpool tie. Thought he was David Usworth for a second rather than arguably the worlds best striker.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think by now Busquets has gotten underrated.
Somebody mentioned Elber and I think that was a good shoutout as well.

Walters_19_MuFc

Rooney.

This guy is the all-time leading goalscorer for United and England and still doesn't make the all-time XI in some people's eyes.

OleBoiii

Rooney.

This guy is the all-time leading goalscorer for United and England and still doesn't make the all-time XI in some people's eyes.
England or United all-time XI(or both)?

In the case of United, I think the reason is because Rooney was only really world class for 1 season. Some people just rate peaks higher than longevity. In which case it makes sense to put Rooney behind players like Ruud and Ronaldo. Some also rate the magic of Cantona higher than Rooney's amazing output.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I expect better trolling from you! Now when are you tagging me in your next short (horror) movie? :drool:
Haha. I made one last year during lockdown. Think I shared with you? Hopefully make another this year!

BehemothTerror

Ljungberg is a good shout. I remember back when Arse were our main rivals that after Henry he was the player that made you most uneasy facing them. Maybe he's just been overshadowed slightly by Henry or like Beckham just gets dismissed because of his off the pitch stuff.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Thanks you

A lot of non-Barcelona fans refuse to admit that Puyol was a brilliant defender. All that based on a few clips when Di Maria humiliated him when he was 36 and after several serious injuries.

Puyol circa 2006-2010 was a beast, easily one of the best defenders in the world at that point. He was a big reason why we were rarely/never humiliated back then.

Pique and Mascherano were damn good defenders in his prime too, but they never filled me with the same confidence that Puyol did.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I really liked Marchisio, but seems like nobody cared or talks about him

JPRouve

Scout
I think by now Busquets has gotten underrated.
Somebody mentioned Elber and I think that was a good shoutout as well.
Not even one page and I have been reduced to someone. :(

Edit: I should add Sonny Anderson and Djorkaeff.

El Jefe

People are rightly saying Benzema but I'll add Pepe to the list too. Great defender who has excelled at all levels of football and has the longevity to match.

I think Mascherano is underrated too. A great defensive player whether in midfield or defence and played in many different systems. A lot of the great players Pep signed at Barcelona ended up being bad fits. He was one of the only signings who held his own in that great Barca team albeit in a different position to what he played at Liverpool.

DeGea

Thomas Muller.

The most complete attacking player in modern football, can play in a wide variety of attacking positions, amazing tactical awareness, has won everything there is to win in football, and the most decorated player in German football history (in terms of honours won). When you consider the company that he is in, that is quite a feat.

Still only 31 years old. And yet he rarely gets a mention among fans in terms of “greats of the game”.

JPRouve

Scout
People are rightly saying Benzema but I'll add Pepe to the list too. Great defender who has excelled at all levels of football and has the longevity to match.

I think Mascherano is underrated too. A great defensive player whether in midfield or defence and played in many different systems. A lot of the great players Pep signed at Barcelona ended up being bad fits. He was one of the only signings who held his own in that great Barca team albeit in a different position to what he played at Liverpool.
In that spirit, I wonder how Alexis Sanchez will be remembered, people seem to have already forgotten how good he used to be.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I really liked Marchisio, but seems like nobody cared or talks about him
I also liked him a lot. Great technique, fantastic workrate, good vision, and progressive passer of the ball.

His lack of success outside of Italy is probably why he’s underrated, same as De Rossi.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Think Cavani could qualify for this. Despite being one of the most prolific scorers of the last decade or so, I never got the sense that he was thought of as highly as some of the other top players of his era.

We're obviously hearing a lot more about it now because he's playing for us, and the commentators mention his goal-scoring record at every opportunity, but until then he almost went under the radar to a certain extent. Perhaps it's just ignorance on my part, but I never got the sense that he got the credit that his record deserved. Including from me.
I think his perception in the UK was shaped by a couple of ropey performances against English opposition. Same dynamic applied for Ibrahimovic and Totti.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Seedorf

Seamus Coleman

Ryan Giggs (by United fans due to his personal life)

Fletcher

Suarez

Yaya Toure

Eto'o