Who is the most underrated footballer in modern history?

jesperjaap

I think of Benzema in a similar way I do to Wayne Rooney. Fantastic careers and to lead the line for so long at such big clubs (barlely any strikers lasted that long at real), is testament to the talents.....however, sounds stupidly critical which it probably is, Rooney at Everton and Benzema at Lyon....two players that looked like potentially being the best in the world, though both have been world class, won everything and had seasons where they have challeneged for best in the world, neither have really managed to be consitently the very best of the best such as a Ronaldo for instance who Rooney was just as talented as when both were starting at our club.

As for Carrick, I would agree with the poster who says he was a very good player but not a great one. Think his last couple of years were actually his best for us but how he should be remembered is vry much in the middle of the views of our fans and those outside the club.

Think the person mentions Gary Neville is actually a good shout. Improved every year at the club until age caught up with him, great partnership with Beckham and with Ronaldo. We look at the current Englan dside and a plethora of right backs.....Gary Neville was pretty much the only choice for a decade and that says a lot. I also think his crossing was actually very veyr good and doesnt get the credit it deserved.

But for me the most under rated players.

1) Jay Jay Okocha - SHould have played for the very best in the world. PSG were not big when he played...then Bolton? Still possibly my favourite and one of the very best dribblers and tricksters of all time. In terms of moving with the ball he wasnt far away from Ronaldhino for me, fabulous player to watch for club and country

2) Tugay - First remember him with the really fiery champions league clash when Cantona was near fighting with police in Turkey in the mid 90s, he ran the game. Any time you see ex players on tv doing there all time teams of players they played with.....anybody who played with him names him and raves about him. Again, should have played for the biggest sides n the world, not Blackburn. His awareness of those around him, technique and passing was Scholes like. Probably the best foreign player to play in the premiership that nobody outside of Blackburn and Turkey would ever mention

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Jari Litmanen and Gheorghe Hagi don't get the praise and attention they deserve.

jesperjaap

Seedorf

Seamus Coleman

Ryan Giggs (by United fans due to his personal life)

Fletcher

Suarez

Yaya Toure

Eto'o
Coleman has been excellent in the premiership, definately under rated as Eto has been who was a brilliant player. Not sure you could say the same about the others as all have always been very highly rated....apart from Fletcher, again personally think he was excellent in the big games for us breaking up play, but think because of that we look back at him as fans of the club with rose tinted glasses personally

JSArsenal

I rate Carrick higher than Modric and Alonso in the context of the PL. They are both better players than Carrick overall, though.

Was Gilberto Silva that good? I must admit that I had completely forgotten about him :p

David Silva is more of an AM in my book, even though he spent his last years further down the pitch. Lampard too, perhaps.
He was, people talk about us missing Vieira but we miss Gilberto just as much. He covered midfielder and LB for us whenever Cole was acting like a LW. He was also part of the last Brazil side to win the WC

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I think Di Maria after his stint at United . He's been consistently great everywhere else and always puts in fantastic performances in the big games.

lsd

The Oracle
I would look at this as a player who is clearly world class and who would get into any team in the world yet somehow often overlooked.

Benzema is by far the best example of this.

Hard to think of anyone else. Carrick was never world class but very very good on his day.

Cavani has always been very highly rated hard to make a case for him being underrated.

Staying with Real Modric perhaps would fit the bill

lsd

The Oracle
Carvalho was one of the best defenders in the world for years and carried John Terry in their Chelsea days

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Probably Michael Laudrup. The most classy playmaker of all time and IMO the best passer of all time.

Last edited:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He was, people talk about us missing Vieira but we miss Gilberto just as much. He covered midfielder and LB for us whenever Cole was acting like a LW. He was also part of the last Brazil side to win the WC
It helped to have Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Cafu and Carlos in the team though.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I would look at this as a player who is clearly world class and who would get into any team in the world yet somehow often overlooked.

Benzema is by far the best example of this.

Hard to think of anyone else. Carrick was never world class but very very good on his day.

Cavani has always been very highly rated hard to make a case for him being underrated.

Staying with Real Modric perhaps would fit the bill
Is modric really underrated ?
He was highly thought of at spurs
Sure he had that shaky start and worst signing nonsense when he first went to Madrid but he turned that around and everyone rated him as what he was. A world class footballer

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Surely no-one at a European super power like Real Madrid for a decade like Benzema should be nominated in thread, that's ridiculous. :lol:

Much more likely to be a steady eddie premier league guy who has existed for years in the Premier league.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Someone said Gabi and I very much agree with that. There’s been a few Atletico Madrid players over the years who have been underrated (or at least within the PL circles), Godin was immense, Filipe Luis was quality but underrated by PL fans because of his doomed Chelsea stint, Turan was great but also suffered reputation wise from his Barcelona tenure, Juanfran was a very good player.

Aduriz was playing at a great level well into his 30s

From the PL despite some recognition I always thought Baines was underrated by the average fan.

Marcos Senna.

I feel he was among the best players in 2008 Euros, but somehow he has been completely forgotten.
He was brilliant that tournament, was linked a few years later to Swansea but fell through, I was gutted.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Michael Owen. Won the Ballon D'or and was absolutely unbelievable in his prime. Never really gets mentioned as one of the best strikers in the PL but he was. Unfortunately injuries ruined him.

Hester_manc

Probably Michael Laudrup. The most classy playmaker of all time.

I agree that Michael Laudrup was one of the most classy playmakers of all time. But I do not think he was underestimated. He played for both Barcelona and Real Madrid and was just highlighted for his elegance.

Perhaps one could argue that he should have been in the game to win the Ballon d`or and in that way was not valued enough.

I think more that his little brother, Brian Laudrup, was underrated. He played much of the time in the Rangers and thus in a minor league, even then. He could well have played for a European top club. However, he himself preferred a more "anonymous" life, and many believe that his psyche was not good enough for top football. While his talent was as great as Michael Laudrup's.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Surely no-one at a European super power like Real Madrid for a decade like Benzema should be nominated in thread, that's ridiculous. :lol:

Much more likely to be a steady eddie premier league guy who has existed for years in the Premier league.
It is ridiculous because for a very long time he was slandered. I think that a lot of it had to do with the way Mourinho used to talk publicly talk about him and Higuain. Even Higuain was grossly underrated for a very long time.

And no I'm not trying to add something to my anti-Mourinho shrine.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I agree that Michael Laudrup was one of the most classy playmakers of all time. But I do not think he was underestimated. He played for both Barcelona and Real Madrid and was just highlighted for his elegance.

Perhaps one could argue that he should have been in the game to win the Ballon d`or and in that way was not valued enough.

I think more that his little brother, Brian Laudrup, was underrated. He played much of the time in the Rangers and thus in a minor league, even then. He could well have played for a European top club. However, he himself preferred a more "anonymous" life, and many believe that his psyche was not good enough for top football. While his talent was as great as Michael Laudrup's.
Well from my generation(born 1987), Brian was the idol for most growing up because he was part of the EURO winning squad, younger and better looking. However Michael actually showed the full extent of his abilities at the worlds biggest clubs and best leagues. I think Brian on his best day could be as good as Michael, but he never consistently reached that level. I think both Michael and Brian were naturally quite sensitive individuals, I think Brian found it hard to cope with the pressure of being touted as the greatest Danish talent ever at 10 years old while Michael was playing at Juventus. I think Brian is perhaps overlooked, because at his best he was absolutely world class, but unlike Michael he needed his comfort zone to shine.

Last edited:

Bobski

It is ridiculous because for a very long time he was slandered. I think that a lot of it had to do with the way Mourinho used to talk publicly talk about him and Higuain. Even Higuain was grossly underrated for a very long time.

And no I'm not trying to add something to my anti-Mourinho shrine.
Benzema being underrated is part of the Messi V Ronaldo borefest where downplaying him helps make a stronger case for Ronaldo. Magnificent player, perfect foil who put the team first.

Scholes/Giggs ratings are odd, at this point I think 1 of them is overrated and the other has gone drastically dow

Have read comments that Scholes was better than Zidane, which is madness in my eyes.

Bertie Wooster

Laudrup was a maestro

A passing genius
Yep, loved watching him at Rangers.
His brother Michael was pretty damn good as well. ;)

My earliest world cup memory was 1986. And it's maybe why I love that kind of player - it had the likes of Laudrup, Maradona, Hagi, Francescoli, Platini, Scifo, Hugo Sanchez, etc. All absolutely great to watch.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
People have been praising Benzema to the high heavens pretty much the moment Ronaldo left Real, even if they're right to do so.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
People have been praising Benzema to the high heavens pretty much the moment Ronaldo left Real, even if they're right to do so.
Yet for multiple years prior he was slandard. And the consensus was he could be upgraded. His stats haven't just been good since Ronaldo left. He's been fantastic for years.

He'sRaldo

Mesut Ozil.

One of the best chance creators of his generation (if not the best), as well as being a maestro at controlling the game offensively.

lex talionis

It has to be Paul Scholes. He always played in the shadow of others at United and was criminally disregarded by England managers in favor of Gerrard and Lampard, about whom it can be said without exaggeration both were significantly inferior.

Apart from Ronaldo, it cannot be denied that Scholes was the greatest footballer under Ferguson. Keane was the greater leader of men of course, but Scholes was crucial to our triumphs in 99 and 08.

Spoony

The People's President
It has to be Paul Scholes. He always played in the shadow of others at United and was criminally disregarded by England managers in favor of Gerrard and Lampard, about whom it can be said without exaggeration both were significantly inferior.

Apart from Ronaldo, it cannot be denied that Scholes was the greatest footballer under Ferguson. Keane was the greater leader of men of course, but Scholes was crucial to our triumphs in 99 and 08.

Keane was more crucial than Scholes in 99. Not even close.

stevoc

Dider Drogba. Appreciated during his career but has seems to have disappeared from the conversation in a way that Rooney, for example, hasn't. Didn't contribute quite as much to all-round team play as Rooney but was a more consistent centre-forward. He was always the striker from another team who I coveted.
Yeah he definitely played at centre forward more consistently than Rooney who spent a lot of time on the wing earlier in his career. And then most of the rest of it playing behind the striker.

Drogba much like Rooney bar a few seasons rarely scored more than 20 goals a season. Though in Rooneys case it was because he played much deeper.

Stacks

Carrick seems very much under appreciated/rated outside of United fans.
This. Absolute Rolls Royce of a player. With a more extrovert personality he might have stood up and been noticed a bit more but I think that would have made him a different player and likely worse.
its because he is English and never held done a place or made any impact for the national team, nor had a dominant champions league campaign where he was the difference maker, so its natural. Also for most years he deferred to the superior Scholes and then Giggs and came into his own in our declining period from 2013, as our main guy but was never really talismanic.

Scholes. He was even better than they say :D
This also for me. Without being biased as a Utd fan, Scholes is criminally underrated. The best footballer I have seen in my lifetime playing for Utd
Scholes was underrated while playing but is now being overrated in retirement. All in all I think it balances out. One of the most intelligent and technically sound but never considered talismanic enough to be the best during his playing days.

Carrick is rated exactly as he was: a very good player who wasn’t quite a great one. That’s fine. I’m not sure why (some) United are so insistent in their view that he is ‘underrated’.

How so, exactly? Most football fans would recognise that he was an important player for United. Please don’t mention England either; he often underwhelmed for England and that was entirely his fault.
agreed. They now want him to be spoken as if he was Pirlo. He would be perfect for us now though!

Stacks

David Villa? Don't think it's overrating him to suggest he was as good or better an actual footballer than someone like Ibrahimovic, yet the latter will be remembered a lot more. Top scorer in a Euros, top scorer in a World Cup, scored in a CL final, was generally a brilliant player at his peak. His reputation is hampered first because he probably spent too long at Valencia (where he scored a nifty 129 goals in 225 appearances) and then because a leg-break disrupted his career. He still went on to help Atletico to a league title though, their first in 17 years.
good shout. He won Spain that world cup and many others didn;t reach their normal heights. He rarely gets mentioned in the greatest strikers of all time.

Keane was more crucial than Scholes in 99. Not even close.
Scholes was left on the bench in our FA cup semi final in 99 vs title rivals Arsenal, left on the bench in CL quarter final in 99 and left on the bench in the CL semi vs Juve in a game we had to win, yet he was crucial? Scholes missed half of the 2008 campaign also and was subbed in the final. The revisionism is on a next level. Keane was clear!

Spoony

The People's President
good shout. He won Spain that world cup and many others didn;t reach their normal heights. He rarely gets mentioned in the greatest strikers of all time.

Scholes was left on the bench in our FA cup semi final in 99 vs title rivals Arsenal, left on the bench in CL quarter final in 99 and left on the bench in the CL semi vs Juve in a game we had to win, yet he was crucial? Scholes missed half of the 2008 campaign also and was subbed in the final. The revisionism is on a next level. Keane was clear!
They didn't actually see Keane in his prime and the 99 season.

RUCK4444

Scholes was underrated while playing but is now being overrated in retirement. All in all I think it balances out. One of the most intelligent and technically sound but never considered talismanic enough to be the best during his playing days.
though!
Nah disagree sorry. I still regular hear people compare him to lesser players.

Dude was the Xavi of the toughest most physical league in the world for god knows how long.

The fact many say he’s now being overrated since retiring is proof enough for me that in fact he’s being underrated. :D

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Coleman has been excellent in the premiership, definately under rated as Eto has been who was a brilliant player. Not sure you could say the same about the others as all have always been very highly rated....apart from Fletcher, again personally think he was excellent in the big games for us breaking up play, but think because of that we look back at him as fans of the club with rose tinted glasses personally
Suarez was probably the 3rd best player in the world for a few good seasons. He also had the best ever season for a premier league player. Great for country, Ajax, Pool and Barca. He bites people and used racist language so many hate him. Just like Giggs he should be rated higher than he is.

Giggs is one of the best British players of all time and one of the best performing players in Europe in the Champions League Era. Seeing him be the best player on the pitch v Madrid at 38 with Ronaldo, Rooney, RVP, Modric was a sight to behold.

Fletcher actually had good passing and technical ability, not just a workhorse. He wasn't even a squad player. He was robbed of the prime of his career due to illness.

Stacks

Nah disagree sorry. I still regular hear people compare him to lesser players.

Dude was the Xavi of the toughest most physical league in the world for god knows how long.

The fact many say he’s now being overrated since retiring is proof enough for me that in fact he’s being underrated. :D
Scholes is my dude but he was no Xavi. I'm sorry but its apparent. Xavi was the talisman of both Barcelona and Spain, shoes Scholes could never fill for Man Utd or England. Sorry

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Jari Litmanen and Gheorghe Hagi don't get the praise and attention they deserve.
Great shouts. Litmanen was quality. Hagi was a tremendous player. I remember seeing him at the World Cup and thinking ‘who’s this guy?!’

Ah, the wonder of those days when we naively discovered people at the World Cup for the first time and we didn’t have an MI5 ‘goals, assists and heatmaps’ dossier on every single 16 year old foreigner in world football.......