Who is the most UNDERrated player in PL history?

Andy_Cole

Vardy(how the hell is he still at LCFC). Nani and Robbie Keane, Defoe, Given, Duff, Bruce and I hate to say it....Milner.
He’s so over rated now though. Pundits all seem to use his name as the unsung hero of the league. All singing his name, not unsung anymore.

Bokito

Besides some of the names listed above, I’d like to add Park. Brilliant player, perfect attitude, and he pretty much seems to be forgotten.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It has to be Carrick.

He’s so under appreciated by United fans and other fans. The guy has been playing with Cleverley, 40 years old Giggs, Anderson and Phil Jones in midfield 2 since 2010/2011 season. One man in midfield and we still won 2 league title.

Being ignored by English managers. How is Scott Parker playing ahead of him is beyond me.

Even during LVG era first season I still remember our percentage of (winning or not losing, can’t remember which one) when he played was like 85% or something. I think him being declined due to his age in LVG second season also part of the reason why LVG wasn’t able to implemented his football style.

Another extra why I said he’s the most underrated in PL, people even think Matic is better or on his level. Ridiculous!

The guy was praised as a complete midfielder by one of the best centre mid Xavi. Xabi Alonso also quoted that he is like himself.

Sir Scott McToMinay

It has to be Carrick.

He’s so under appreciated by United fans and other fans. The guy has been playing with Cleverley, 40 years old Giggs, Anderson and Phil Jones in midfield 2 since 2010/2011 season. One man in midfield and we still won 2 league title.

Being ignored by English managers. How is Scott Parker playing ahead of him is beyond me.

Even during LVG era first season I still remember our percentage of (winning or not losing, can’t remember which one) when he played was like 85% or something. I think him being declined due to his age in LVG second season also part of the reason why LVG wasn’t able to implemented his football style.

Another extra why I said he’s the most underrated in PL, people even think Matic is better or on his level. Ridiculous!

The guy was praised as a complete midfielder by one of the best centre mid Xavi. Xabi Alonso also quoted that he is like himself.
Yeah, that post just shows how utterly overrated Carrick had become around these parts at least.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Gerrard going by the other thread.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
All defensive midfielders will get a shoutout, simply because you don't see them talked about during highlights or receiving golden balls. They do a thankless unglamourly job in the shadows of the diving frollicking cnuts in front of them.

Special exception for Busquets who is a diving frollicking cnut himself.

Rito

Supports
Chelsea
I'd say Aguero too. Seems like his fantastic goalscoring record is just taken for granted, while when anyone else puts up similar numbers they get a lot more plaudits (Lukaku, Kane etc)
good shout...incredible scoring record over a long period of time, however, somehow doesn't often get considered to belong to the top echelon of EPL strikers.

PINGUtd

At the moment, probably Heung Min Son
I agree. For me Son is second behind Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
Insane if you think that most people can't even spell his name correctly, this dude scored 24 goals in 34 Premier League games (not even a full season) for a very weak Arsenal side.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Probably just echo some of the names already mentioned... Andy Cole, Jamie Vardy, Xavi Alonso, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Ledley King, Lucas Radebe, Michael Carrick,

I also think Robert Pires is probably slightly underrated... feel like you don't hear his name branded about that much, but he was class.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Andy Cole.

Hoddle ruined him reputation wise with his comments. Fergie really should have rallied back with some barbs that ridiculed them and thus restored order. Alas, was not to be, and now Cole is a footnote despite a storied career with numerous great goals and plays with and without Yorke and that season.

Carrick has been rallied around; he's not underrated anymore, if anything, he's been retrospectively enhanced.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Carrick

Most underrated player ever in English football

Andersons Dietician

Did it really take that long though? He performed prettt brilliantly in his first season with Scholes. After that season his form was very up and down especially at the start of seasons He would find himself heavily rotated. He was more appreciated as the years got on, but his performances improved with his peak possibly 2012/13ish. He wasn’t performing at that level from the moment he signedit was a natural progression. Probably why people think he was underrated. Defiantly underrated for England during his whole career though.
Not sure I would agree, kinda see it more as people just suddenly realised he was good because he was still doing the same things he usually did. I came from Talking Reds and there were still people talking about how poor he was there till the day that it shutdown so maybe my perception is a bit skewed by that. I mean you’ve got Xavi, Pep,SAF and Iniesta singing your praises and saying your underrated so if they are saying it then surely there has to be some truth in it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure I would agree, kinda see it more as people just suddenly realised he was good because he was still doing the same things he usually did. I came from Talking Reds and there were still people talking about how poor he was there till the day that it shutdown so maybe my perception is a bit skewed by that. I mean you’ve got Xavi, Pep,SAF and Iniesta singing your praises and saying your underrated so if they are saying it then surely there has to be some truth in it.
There was one more ManUtd forum, ManUtdtalk or something where so many used to shit on him saying how much better Fellaini is (when he was at Everton). Fellaini was also very skillful player compared to Carrick who was as useful as training cone.

Also in other forum, there were Manutd fans who used to argue Song was better than Carrick.

Last edited:

anant

Alonso, Carrick, Park, Okocha, Milner, Fernandinho, Carvalho

Andersons Dietician

There was one more ManUtd forum, ManUtdtalk or something where so many used to shit on him and say how much better Fellaini is. Fellaini was also very skillful player compared to Carrick who was as useful as training cone.

Also in other forum, there were Manutd fans who used to argue Song was better than Carrick.
I think that settles it then Fellaini and bloody Song :lol:

Feel like he just came about at a time when the British perception was still midfielders crunching in to tackles and going box to box and over his time period it started to change. It’s still criminal to me that we never really got the midfield around him. I know we still did well but I mean Giggs was his partner in a final against Barca.

Lay

If anything Le Tiss is overrated.

Classical Mechanic

I agree. For me Son is second behind Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
Insane if you think that most people can't even spell his name correctly, this dude scored 24 goals in 34 Premier League games (not even a full season) for a very weak Arsenal side.
You can't argue with Auba's record but its his style as a poacher not often involved in general play that makes him a bit forgettable. A bit like Mario Gomez, who was a top striker numbers wise for a while.

Arsenal are not a 'very weak' side either. They are in the top 6 best clubs in the PL and there is a significant drop off in strength below that currently. Arsenal are 10 points clear of Leicester in 7th.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I'd say Milner.

City's squad from a squad perspective could do with him, more so than Delph.

I would've preferred him over Young at the time (although he did move a year earlier).

Mike Smalling

Sergio Aguero for me.

It is very impressive what he has been able to accomplish since coming to City. He has the best goals pr. game ratio of the top 10 all-time goal scorers in the Premier League (slightly ahead of Henry) and he doesn't even take penalties, if I remember correctly. He also comes up with goals against the other top 6 clubs on a very consistent basis. Really he should be talked about in the same breath as Henry, Shearer, van Nistelrooy, etc. but he does not seem to get that recognition yet.