Who is the most UNDERrated player in PL history?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Came in to say him. He's an oft-forgotten player.

Also, James Milner and Michael Carrick are good shouts.
Milner’s a great shout too. Thankfully in his last few seasons Carrick did start getting some credit from the wider footballing world but for most of his career he was criminally underrated.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sergio Aguero for me.

It is very impressive what he has been able to accomplish since coming to City. He has the best goals pr. game ratio of the top 10 all-time goal scorers in the Premier League (slightly ahead of Henry) and he doesn't even take penalties, if I remember correctly. He also comes up with goals against the other top 6 clubs on a very consistent basis. Really he should be talked about in the same breath as Henry, Shearer, van Nistelrooy, etc. but he does not seem to get that recognition yet.
Henry scored just 3 goals from penalties, Aguero scored 22.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Sergio Aguero for me.

It is very impressive what he has been able to accomplish since coming to City. He has the best goals pr. game ratio of the top 10 all-time goal scorers in the Premier League (slightly ahead of Henry) and he doesn't even take penalties, if I remember correctly. He also comes up with goals against the other top 6 clubs on a very consistent basis. Really he should be talked about in the same breath as Henry, Shearer, van Nistelrooy, etc. but he does not seem to get that recognition yet.
Have to agree, he's an incredible player who doesn't get the credit due to him.

Imlegend

I'd say Steve Bruce, was recognized within our club but never at international stage. Hardly put a foot wrong.

Lynty

Hasslebank
Park
Saha
Redmond
Son

Beckham - hugely underrated by football fans, overrated by everyone else. A fantastic footballer and (like Bale) I feel he’ll never have the benefit of notstalgia, because he moved abroad too soon.

Carrick - overrated by United fans, underrated by everyone else. A great midfielder and world class distribution, but nowhere near the level of the true greats.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Just from the top of my head:
  • Shay Given
  • Lucas Radebe
  • Colin Hendry
  • Pablo Zabaleta
  • Leighton Baines (in his prime)
  • Norberto Solano (without physical problems)
  • Gilberto Silva

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I don't think Carrick was underrated. He was praised by managers arround the world and in Football Sim games he was always one of the best midfielders in the game

A-man

Xabi Alonso and Mascherano are two players who I feel always have underrated in media and by fans, but meant so much to their teams. I remember Argentina’s Head coach in a World Cup, when asked how his dream team looked like: 9 Mascheranos and one Messi.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Carrick, it was ridiculous how many years it took a lot of United fans to come round to him. Was the comparisons to Roy Keane I guess and he Carrick was ahead of his time in terms of how he played the game.
It has more to do standards being high at OT and Carrick often lacking authority and personality in his game for prolonged stretches. By any measure, he was, at all times, a very good footballer. But at United he's playing next to Paul Scholes and replacing, in a way, Roy Keane. He did also gain that authority with time for an even better (but shorter) phase but he didn't always have it for the most part

Sergio Aguero
What? Everyone considers him among the best CFs to have played in the EPL. It's not underrating for him to be injured enough every year for someone to upstage him to the PFA awards.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I wonder when his career is over, what type of legacy Fernandinho will have.

In terms of smaller names that maybe weren't the most under rated ever but were still very good, and perhaps under rated on their day as well as today, there are a number of center backs who were quality that were really overshadowed by bigger names at the time and I think they are largely forgotten; Richard Dunne, Sylvain Distin, Brede Hangeland, Christopher Samba. All quality on their day though

Leon Britton as a CM also seems to have been able to go somewhere else and maybe improve his legacy but he seemed to love Swansea. Also, I still find it amazing that Nzonzi played for Blackburn and Stoke City for so long. I wonder if people forget how good he was for both teams

Also, maybe Jussi Jaaskelainen

And personally, I always loved watching Tuncay when he was at Middlesborough. I hated that team, but there was a couple year stretch where he was really fun to watch
Came in to say Britton, a really good player. Went from playing in League 2 with Swansea to playing well in the Prem.

I liked your other shouts as well, most of the mentions in this thread are players from from the big clubs, the more accurate answer (imo) is going to come from clubs outside the bigger ones.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Aguero has also failed, a lot, in the CL and NT stages, which knock him down a notch or two - he's rated exactly how he should be.

Andersons Dietician

It has more to do standards being high at OT and Carrick often lacking authority and personality in his game for prolonged stretches. By any measure, he was, at all times, a very good footballer. But at United he's playing next to Paul Scholes and replacing, in a way, Roy Keane. He did also gain that authority with time for an even better (but shorter) phase but he didn't always have it for the most part
Authority and personality is understandable but as a footballer he was very good in his general all round play for us from the moment he stepped through the door and that is what people underrated. He wasn’t the leader like Keane and I feel like that was what many based a lot of their opinion of him on.

amolbhatia50k

That 2008-09 was impressive through the middle. Very lucky Rafa spent a lot of money on Keane and upset Alonso by trying to replace him with Gareth Berry instead of realizing what he had and spending money on a right winger.

I always thought Terry received all the credit while Carvalho always seemed to be the consistent and calm presence at the back for Chelsea. Not necessarily saying he was better, just that Terry got much more credit then he deserved. United's defense always seemed to be spoken of as a duo, whereas with Chelsea, the media seemed to portray it as the Lion Heart John Terry and everyone else.
Absolutely. He was a brilliant defender in a Chelsea team where all the credit for the defence tended to go towards Terry. Criminally underated IMO.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Park Ji Sung. The guy could play as CM/DM/LM/RM/AM, man mark anyone and run for 2 hours. He's every managers dream. A player who's as good as the tactical instructions being given to him.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Carrick or Alonso not getting their dues is more about folk not rating deep-lying, ball-retaining midfielders when compared to the box-to-box monsters of the four man midfields. It's more about style than anything else. Some people - including two England managers - were behind the curve when recognising that the game had changed and that role had become invaluable in exercising any meaningful control of midfield.

amolbhatia50k

Authority and personality is understandable but as a footballer he was very good in his general all round play for us from the moment he stepped through the door and that is what people underrated. He wasn’t the leader like Keane and I feel like that was what many based a lot of their opinion of him on.
He was really really good but he wasn't special. And I mean, as a footballer rather than leadership. I also believe many United fans tends to try to over compensate for the perceived underrating and make him sound like some all time great level player like Scholes, Busquets, Xavi, Pirlo etc.

Also by authority and personality, I don't mean beating the drum and shouting at your team mates. Scholes had it depsite being a quiet bloke. De Bruyne has it despite not being a leader. It's that fearless confidence in your game and ability to pull others/the play together. Regardless, Carrick was obviously a superb player but it's a point worth noting among the calls of undertating. I mean he's never going to be rated as highly as Lampard or Gerrard and that's fair.

Zlatattack

Defoe - if he was born 5-10 years later, everyone would be taking about him now. Unfortunately he was in his prime when English football wanted a big lump upfront.

amolbhatia50k

Only in the initial period though? "Very good in general" seems well aligned with most people's views on Carrick. Is it purely because of the NT? Because everybody acknowledges that he was a quality footballer for us. I'm sure all rival fans here will agree.

Bobski

Paul Ince among Utd fans. Brilliant player for us, was good for Inter as well, but moving to Liverpool cratered his reputation with Utd fans.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think Demba Ba was a pretty adequate striker who suffered a bit from injuries?

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Juan Sebastian veron
Craig Bellamy
David ginola
Brad freidel
Laurent Robert
Kevin Phillips

We need an rvn

I reckon you could throw in Fernandinho in there. He's only now getting the recognition he should have been getting given how vital he has been to City for the last few years.

I'd also agree with the Alonso one - didn't get the recognition as to how instrumental he was at Liverpool than he deserved.

Possibly Azpilicueta under rated as well. One of the best full backs but hardly gets recognition for it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Based on the overrated thread, Gerrard.
It's a natural reaction really, Liverpool fans spent years shoving Gerrard down United fans' throats at every possible opportunity, he's the club icon for a team despised on this forum and he's the personification of Liverpool, if you're looking for whether or not PL fans over/under rate him then you're in the wrong place. Redcafe is not a representation of general PL fans. Gerrard's overrated by Liverpool fans, underrated by United fans.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It's a natural reaction really, Liverpool fans spent years shoving Gerrard down United fans' throats at every possible opportunity, he's the club icon for a team despised on this forum and he's the personification of Liverpool, if you're looking for whether or not PL fans over/under rate him then you're in the wrong place. Redcafe is not a representation of general PL fans. Gerrard's overrated by Liverpool fans, underrated by United fans.
I think he's the best thing since sliced bread, how's that overrating him?

In all seriousness fair point.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
David James (Last year at Villa onwards he was really good)

Markus Babbel (Shame about the illness, was immense in that 00/01 season)

Lucas Radebe (Monster)

Ricardo Carvalho (The better of the two between him.and Terry)

Denis Irwin (Will never get his due)

Stuart Ripley (Every cross seemed to find Shearer or Sutton, was always a fan, was far better than Anderton)

Carrick (You know ......)

Alonso (Was too good, hated him)

Robert Pires (Faded towards the end and was rather forced out at Arsenal and didn't leave a good impression during his stint with Villa, but was in that "so good I actively hate him" category)

Robbie Keane (Complete forward, could drop off, pick a pass, great finisher as well, electric pace in his Coventry and Leeds days)

Andy Cole (3rd highest scorer in the competition's history, not even talked about as of he were top 20)

I reckon you'd get a title challenge out of that in its day.

Shout outs to:

Jason Wilcox
Colin Hendry
Tuguay
Ronny Johnsen
Matt Jansen (Was starting to really put it together before his accident)
Damien Duff
Ian Harte
Gary Kelly
Harry Kewell (was class before his move to Liverpool)
Paul Ince