Who is the MUTV commentator?

bdecuc

I like Stewart Gardiner. Think he's pleasant to listen to. And I really don't like many commentators.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Is he the guy that is voicing over all the clips the official MUFC twitter put out?

I literally cannot listen to him. He sounds like a kid shocked at a goal "oohhhhhhh what that is a wonderful finish by the Manchester legend"

youngrell

When watching any highlights, it sounds to me like he has already watched the match and knows what is about to happen and is simply trying to sound like he's commentating live, but it's nigh on impossible to match the 'in the moment' tone of watching the match live. The emotions are nowhere near the same.

If he is not doing the above, then he is just truly awful.

macheda14

When watching any highlights, it sounds to me like he has already watched the match and knows what is about to happen and is simply trying to sound like he's commentating live, but it's nigh on impossible to match the 'in the moment' tone of watching the match live. The emotions are nowhere near the same.

If he is not doing the above, then he is just truly awful.
He isn't. Well he might possibly be doing so, but he sounds exactly the same for preseason matches which he definitely is watching live.

stw2022

I haven’t listened to MUTV for a long while but the constant ‘woe is us’ tone to the commentary used to piss me off no end. The main commentator sounding hard done by like a teenager being told to tidy his room and Paddy with a constant bed of:

“Dear me, dear me. That’s a penalty kick. Dear me” every time the ball went out for a throw on the half way line

Yagami

Good post resistant
I won't hear a bad word about Stewart or Paddy. Legends!

tenpoless

Pretty sure he's been here for ages. I remember hearing an MUTV clip back in 2007 and it was him with his melodious voice "ooh my word". And he's still doing it now. Probably the luckiest guy on the planet. I doubt other TVs would even hire him to dub SpongeBob.

Chairman Steve

I imagine Hayley McQueen gets paid a lot more to do Sky than MUTV, hence why she left so fair enough.

You know that massive 9 hour YouTube video of all Utd Premier League goals? I have to mute it when it gets to 07/08 as that’s when Steve Bower left for the BBC and Gardiner takes over. His voice is just so not for commentary and I can’t understand how he’s been lead MUTV commentator for so long. Usually after 3-4 years you get a good national gig like Bower did, but I guess no-ones taking Gardiner?

In comparison to that, I’m pretty sure fecking Rangers have Tyldesley as their in-house commentator. Surprised we didn’t take him up since everyone and their dog knows he favours Utd.

sillwuka

He's not got the voice for commentary, it's not very impactful.

Having said that he's part of the furniture at United now and his voice is synonymous with MUTV.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
It sounds like we have Prince William commentating on our games. I hate it. He’s a Bristol City fan too.

Ixion

His voice is terrible for commentary. I don't doubt he's passionate for United but it sounds so forced and fake whenever a goal goes in.

Big Andy

Bloke
He's no Peter Drury is he. The most one toned commentator I've ever heard. He actually ruins last minute winners with his shit "Oh my word" bullshit.

Uniquim

Yeah think so. Haven’t heard him commentate for a while now. Maybe a couple of years?
About 2 years I think.
Kind of miss Paddy as a commentator. He wasn't great, but he was so blatantly biased, and that was nice sometimes. It was mostly for pre-season games anyway.
If a United player would go in with a red card tackle, he'd claim it wasn't even a free kick, and if a United played dived, he'd say it was a free kick and a booking for the opposition player. :lol:

largelyworried

About 2 years I think.
Kind of miss Paddy as a commentator. He wasn't great, but he was so blatantly biased, and that was nice sometimes. It was mostly for pre-season games anyway.
If a United player would go in with a red card tackle, he'd claim it wasn't even a free kick, and if a United played dived, he'd say it was a free kick and a booking for the opposition player. :lol:
Paddy's a legend. I saw him on Sky once, as a pre match/half time pundit. I think it was a derby match, maybe even the Rooney overhead kick. Either way, he was so ridiculously biased it was obvious he wasn't getting invited back on, but it was just funny seeing someone so unashamedly die-hard red on Sky for once. Screw all that talking down the team just to appear impartial nonsense.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's good when it comes to doing the general play by play / describing the action stuff....but he really struggles to convey the excitement of situations.

Listen to his commentary of the De Gea pen save and the Sky Sports commentary and its night and day

dalriada

I’ve never quite understood the antipathy towards Stewart, l don't have a problem with his commentary, unless you favour the kind of deranged commentary style you get from some of the people on Sky. I've always found him well-informed as well, maybe because he's been doing it for so long.
Paddy disappeared from commentary duties at the beginning of the first lockdown, understandably, as he's 81 I believe. I think they've quietly retired him, which is no bad thing as his memory's going a bit and he's nothing like as sharp as he used to be. I say that with no ill will, I love the guy and he's one of our legends. Ben Thornley does a good job in his place and works well with Stewart.

Coleyoscar

I won't hear a bad word about Stewart or Paddy. Legends!
I'm with you Yagami.

Stewart is knowledgable and has a pleasant commentating voice. I'd much prefer him to so many of the current crop of 'Google Commentators' who, like the pub bore, are desperate to share pointless stats that only anaraks love ("That's the hundreth Manchester United goal against West Ham in the Premier League"!).

Paddy was hilarious on co- commentary. Loved his take on practically every decision against us: "Ah referee!..."

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I sometimes watch foreign sat feeds of the games with MUTV overlaid for the English. It's very apparent that they are watching the game on the video feed as well, even when it's playing at Old Trafford. So really they don't have much to add compared to a gantry commentator. But they are often inadvertently hilarious in the style of #accidentalpartridge .

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I like him but he isn’t made for commentary. Been around a long time now though.

brian017

I sometimes watch foreign sat feeds of the games with MUTV overlaid for the English. It's very apparent that they are watching the game on the video feed as well, even when it's playing at Old Trafford. So really they don't have much to add compared to a gantry commentator. But they are often inadvertently hilarious in the style of #accidentalpartridge .
Stewart and the Co-comm are definitely at the ground. Whether the live audio/radio comms are I do not know. I'm guessing they are for home games

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Stewart and the Co-comm are definitely at the ground. Whether the live audio/radio comms are I do not know. I'm guessing they are for home games
Their commentary is always in sync with what we're seeing on the video feed. It's absolutely clear they are watching on TV.

Judas

Open to offers
Fair play to him being consistent all these years, bloke hasn't improved at all, not even a little bit. Simply doesn't have it.

Should have pushed and got big Clive.