Who is "the right striker" in the transfer market?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ole has spoken of the need for a striker to lead the line, but refuses to compromise on anyone not deemed as "the right" type of player for this club.

Noting the availability in the market right now, how it likely wouldn't change much between now and the summer, does anyone know of any good candidates?

I know Dembele is linked from Lyon. Lots of posts here are less than impressed with that link. But who is out there really? Does Ole even have a short list? Or do we need to hope Rashford/Martial play a blinder next season too :nervous:

Big Andy

Bloke
It needs to be someone who can pretty much guarantee you 20 league goals a season, plus another 10-15 or so in other competitions...we need a prolific, almost a goal every game striker. We need someone who won't take an eternity to settle in, who won't wilt under the pressure.

Basically, we need Harry Kane.

romufc

It needs to be someone who can pretty much guarantee you 20 league goals a season, plus another 10-15 or so in other competitions...we need a prolific, almost a goal every game striker. We need someone who won't take an eternity to settle in, who won't wilt under the pressure.

Basically, we need Harry Kane.
Get Poch and get him to convince Kane ?

redshaw

Would've said Kane but beggars can't be choosers.

Anyone who can generally hit the ball either side of a keeper would do right now.

Eric7C

Vardy as a stop-gap for a season? The impression of him as a mere speed-merchant is inaccurate; he is decent in link-up play as he is currently showing in Rodger's system and he definitely knows how to make runs and finish.

Big Andy

Bloke
Get Poch and get him to convince Kane ?
Poch aint all that...

Stick with Ole and let him build his team. You shift Ole out, you're back at the start again, with another manager with a different idea of how to play football, with differing views on players, with a new style...we're forever in a perpetual stage of transition.

settembrini

He didn't say he wanted a striker to lead the line. He said we needed a forward for 'creativity and goals'. It's pretty clear that right wing and #10 are the biggest weaknesses in our team so that makes sense.

Dybala was one we wanted and he would have been perfect but he didn't want to come.

We're also being linked to Atalanta forward Duvan Zapata, anyone seen him play, is he any good?

romufc

Poch aint all that...

Stick with Ole and let him build his team. You shift Ole out, you're back at the start again, with another manager with a different idea of how to play football, with differing views on players, with a new style...we're forever in a perpetual stage of transition.
I was only saying that because that is the only way we get Kane.

Strikers are very hard to get right, there are not many out there at the moment that will come and score a bucket of goals in the price range we are looking at.

This is why Ole wants to see what Martial / Rashford can do as he can turn round to them at the end of the season saying I gave you both a chance you didn't take it now be happy on the left.

Thaila-X

Timo Werner would be my first choice if we could get him. I still think Andrea Belotti would be worth a shout too.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Given Ole's preference to play Rashford at number 9 over Lukaku last season and the obvious telling of the latter that he's not going to be first choice this season and then playing Martial ahead of Rashford when the season did start am I the only one who doesn't quite buy that the club want to sign a CF? There's also lets not forget a lot of talking about Greenwood as well.

I think the club want to sign an attacking player (not necessarily a striker) and that attacking player is Sancho, that's the one the club wants, that's who the club couldn't get and that's the one they're holding out for

He didn't say he wanted a striker to lead the line. He said we needed a forward for 'creativity and goals'. It's pretty clear that right wing and #10 are the biggest weaknesses in our team so that makes sense.

Dybala was one we wanted and he would have been perfect but he didn't want to come.
We're not being linked to any RW at the moment, we're being linked to strikers. There were some links to Maddison as well.

Johan07

Given Ole's preference to play Rashford at number 9 over Lukaku last season and the obvious telling of the latter that he's not going to be first choice this season and then playing Martial ahead of Rashford when the season did start am I the only one who doesn't quite buy that the club want to sign a CF? There's also lets not forget a lot of talking about Greenwood as well.

I think the club want to sign an attacking player (not necessarily a striker) and that attacking player is Sancho, that's the one the club wants, that's who the club couldn't get and that's the one they're holding out for
Yeah, this is pretty much the answer IMO as well. We will go all in for Sancho next summer.
That we did not do anything this summer before letting Sanchez and Lukaku go hopefully means that we have had positive signals from both Dortmund and Sanchos camp about sealing a deal next summer.

brownyorkshireman

Mario Mandzukic imo. Deal just fell through for a move to Qatar and Sarri has no place for him at Juve. Makes sense for United to go for him and his age means he won't be here long enough to stop the development of Greenwood.

StrettyEnder07

I would personally go for Callum Wilson at Bournemouth, can finish with both feet, head, great movement, pace, in his peak, Premier League proven, can hold the ball up as well, great anticipation, probably get him for maybe £50M ish, god knows in this market.

But he would be my pick.

VanGaalyTime

Any of the following could be signed in January and will prove value for money:

1: Victor Osimhen (speed, finishing - although just signed for Lille in summer)
2. Donyell Malen (finishing, dribbling)
3. Vangelis Pavlidis (hold up play, plan B)
4. Duván Zapata (experience, strength, finishing)
5. Niclas Füllkrug (bench option, hold up play, shooting from range)

It's bizarre we couldn't find ONE striker option who would have improved us this season. There's lots with potential and ability beyond the major teams and common names.

Last edited:

Amerifan

I’d be surprised if we go for a striker. If Pogba leaves, we need three midfielders. Or two if you rate McTominay. That pretty much consumes our transfer budget next summer. I expect some combination of Martial / Rashford / Greenwood next season, with Greenwood being our striker after that.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Goalscoring wideboy. All the rage right now anyway.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Timo Werner

I know he was meant to go to Bayern this summer... but he hasn't, and we should have been all over that like a rash.

7 goals in 7 games so far this season.

settembrini

We're not being linked to any RW at the moment, we're being linked to strikers. There were some links to Maddison as well.
Maddison is believable for the #10.

The press have been linking us to Sancho for the right wing for ages and United are probably in love with that idea. We need more targets though because that's a hard transfer to do and our current options are pathetic.

I would be surprised if United signed an out and out striker in January. It isn't what the team needs and Solskjaer only used that word after a reporter asked him if United should have bought a striker last summer and he said the strikers that he could have gotten weren't ones he wanted.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
No striker worth his salt will be moved by their club in the middle of the season. Next summer will be the time you can buy some quality.

Any of the following could easily be signed in January and will prove value for money:

1: Victor Osimhen (speed, finishing)
2. Donyell Malen (finishing, dribbling)
3. Vangelis Pavlidis (hold up play, plan B)
4. Duván Zapata (experience, strength, finishing)
5. Niclas Füllkrug (bench option, hold up play, shooting from range)

It's bizarre we couldn't find ONE striker option who would have improved us this season. There's lots with potential and ability beyond the major teams and common names.
How would you class Demeble ?

Maddison is believable for the #10.

The press have been linking us to Sancho for the right wing for ages and United are probably in love with that idea. We need more targets though because that's a hard transfer to do and our current options are pathetic.

I would be surprised if United signed an out and out striker in January. It isn't what the team needs and Solskjaer only used that word after a reporter asked him if United should have bought a striker last summer and he said the strikers that he could have gotten weren't ones he wanted.
Yeah Maddison is for the #10

We won't get Sancho in Jan and he's the only RW we've been linked to.

VanGaalyTime

How would you class Demeble ?
Seems to have pace and strength but I wonder if he's consistent enough. Seems to take a little while to make up his mind when finishing too, which could be a problem in a quicker league. The French league has so many brilliant talents. Osimhen is probably the best right now (but has only just moved to Lille to replace Pepe). Hard to believe United couldn't find a high quality right winger and striker in their early 20s from the many playing in France.

AKDevil

Vardy as a stop-gap for a season? The impression of him as a mere speed-merchant is inaccurate; he is decent in link-up play as he is currently showing in Rodger's system and he definitely knows how to make runs and finish.
Yep ... it’s him

ILC

Creativity - James Rodriguez
Goals - Cavani

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Reports of Mandzukic ... I don't think this would be a terrible signing. Physical, experienced, quality and would be great tutor to Rashford and Martial.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Dybalas image right made the transfer impossible. It's the same reason the deal fell through for Tottenham.

As for those wanting stop-gap players. Are we really going through a outspoken rebuild, and now bring in no-term solutions to appease panicked fans? What's the point in bringing in players that might not fit the bill.

I'd throw big money at Aubameyang. Of course the chance of Arsenal selling him in the January window to a top4 rival is about as big as the sun quantum tunneling away to the Crab Nebula.

Haaland as a prospect signing would be very interesting, but I don't think he's ready to tear up the PL just yet.

littlepeasoup

Personally, I think our attacking problems are bigger than that we're missing a top-goal scorer.

We definitely need a 20+ goal-a-season guy, but we also need a cadre of 2-3 players who you can bank on to be getting 10-12 goals a season in the league to support our main goal threat. Basically, we need to be in position where we're not over reliant on one specific player carrying us with goals.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Zapata is your man: gifted, strong & fast enough to score in the more physically demanding PL.