Who potentially replaces Ronaldo?

Walters_19_MuFc

Someone who is actually good with their back to goal. Jonathan David is a neat player, who, funnily enough is linked to Bayern. Not sure how much he'd cost, though.

People may think I'm crazy, but Memphis Depay is also very good with his back to goal.

After that, I'm not so sure. NKunku has been spoken about, but he's not really a striker, although he could also play that false 9 role, with Bruno running in behind. This is something that worked very well a couple of seasons ago with him and Martial, with the two having a very good understanding.

Time will tell but I do think it's best to get rid of Ronaldo if he wants out and start fresh. If not, he'll have a massive influence in the dressing room, which ten Hag can't afford to have happen.

Rojofiam

You joke, but I could see us putting 50m in for him or King or someone like that.
And the drones on here would love their running about skills, and ignore they only score about 10 a season.
Toney is a great player and I'd take him over Ronaldo right now even if the latter didn't want to leave. You listing him as an example along with someone like Joshua King is pure laziness and you assume Toney is mediocre just because he's English and plays for Brentford.

Ted Lasso

You can't replace Cristiano Ronaldo. We need two strikers at least from the names being mentioned to be anything close to making up for his lost presence / goals over the season to come.

SER19

We need a proper goalscorer. Can potentially do ok if rashford or martial get some form but even with that we need a different type of striker. You can't lose Ronaldo, cavani and Greenwood and not replace them,we saw how we struggled to score last season.

I actually think werner would do well here. Belotti, Patrick Schick but he's signed a new contract. Possibly Calvert Lewin but only as back up option

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That doesn't look very good. At all.
I mean it's really not bad at all for most of the team, just missing a striker which is obviously a big thing. The midfield is completely transformed though and I think we'll play well with ten hag regardless, but yeah we need a goalscorer in there somewhere, and Martial/Rashford can't carry the goalscoring burden.

Dante

Average bang
It shouldn't be hard to find a striker who scores only 18 league goals per season, but works harder than Ronaldo and wants only a fraction of his £500k per week.

Godfather

I mean it's really not bad at all for most of the team, just missing a striker which is obviously a big thing. The midfield is completely transformed though and I think we'll play well with ten hag regardless, but yeah we need a goalscorer in there somewhere, and Martial/Rashford can't carry the goalscoring burden.
Bruno on the right I'm not sure can even do a half decent job. McT still in there. No proper striker. Dalot... This won't get us very far. But not all down to Ronaldo potentially leaving. Just shows how many holes we still have even without Ronaldo going. CM (even with FDJ). Right wing. Right back... All positions we need to reinforce. Ronnie leaving would be pretty crap all things considered.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Haller from Ajax? Since we are getting our players from Ajax anyway...

El__Jingo

lewandowski would be my choice if it was possible, wouldnt go near Abraham DLC Belloti or some of the names i've heard, would rather persevere with Martial, there really isnt many top quality strikers available at the minute.

Godfather

It shouldn't be hard to find a striker who scores only 18 league goals per season, but works harder than Ronaldo and wants only a fraction of his £500k per week.
Only 17 players from the top leagues last year managed that and non from teams in such a bad state as ours. So not exactly easy.

AttackAttackAttack

I think Felix would be perfect for ETH. Idk if AM would be willing to sell this year but I’m assuming opening bid would have to be €125mm

Dazzmondo

Can't see the white text

Dante

Average bang
Let's say we sell Ronaldo for £10m. And let's say his replacement earns only £250k per week rather than half a million per week like Ronaldo; that's a saving of £12.5m on the remainder of CR's contract. So right off the bat, United have a transfer budget of £22.5m.

Then, if you want you could dip into the 2023 transfer kitty to take about £60m that we were going to spend on a striker next summer. That would mean Murtough has £80m+ to work with. So Darwin Nunez money. We'll have less to spend next year, but we were going to buy a new CF then anyway. This just speeds up the process.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Patrick Schick might have to be the guy. Affordable, attainable and can score goals.

+ A younger backup.
Dunno about that. He just signed a new contract with Leverkusen without a release clause. They'd probably ask for 80-100m.

Drizzle

How do people see Bruno as a false 9? I just don't get it. He doesn't have the back-to-goal skills at all, can't keep the ball under pressure (hence always trying hero balls), can't dribble, has no explosion of pace or strength.

Yes he's a good finisher and an excellent through ball merchant but false 9s need to be more technical and clever as they need to knit patterns in attack. Just don't see it at all myself.

Bad market for strikers. Of the potentially available opions, Osimhen and Felix are the only ones I like with no reservations. They'd cost a fortune though. Dealing with De Laurentiis at Napoli is never easy.

If we get Calvert Lewin...:lol: Basically confirming our midtable intentions.

I have a strong feeling Jonathan David's going to be a bust too based on what I've seen of him.

Last edited:

redshaw

Very difficult, seems another stop gap is on the horizon, maybe Felix on loan.

The is trouble, clubs want silly money from us and we're struggling to stay in the top 4 to attract good players.

Red Rash

We are in a bit of a tough situation to replace him. The ideal albeit unrealistic solution would have been Haaland but obviously that's now out of the question. It seems ETH wanted Nuñez but he is now at Liverpool.

I think we are in a super difficult position this summer considering we have already lost quite a few players on free transfers and have a number of positions we need to upgrade.

I only hope the Glazers take into account the savings on wages by losing Pogba, Lingard, Cavani, Mata, Matic and probably Ronaldo and increase the transfer budget to make sure we are able to truly replace him

Giggsy13

Bruno will be played as a false 9 and will likely rotate with Rashford. I just don’t see enough room in the budget for a striker.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Nkunku would be great, but don't think that's realistic this season. Maybe a swap of some form for Gnabry, although I think it's unlikely he'd be dying to join us at the moment