Who replaces Martial for Newcastle, Chelsea and Arsenal?

CG1010

Three big games coming up for us.. who plays #9 ?

- Cavani is going to be signed as backup to Martial but the opportunity may have come too soon for him to start

- Rashford is the obvious choice by moving James (ugh) on the left. Unless we miraculously sign a RW and then can play Greenwood on the left

- Ighalo is another option but he seems to be out of favour

- Can we think of more creative options? Like Van de Beek as false #9? Based on his first few appearances, he likes playing as the furthest forward and link up with others and pop-up to score a few. Could be a good experiment against Newcastle perhaps?

Last edited:

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Maguire. Would rather have him up there than sabotaging our season from the back.

Bojan11

5 at the back with Shaw as the LCB. Telles as wing back. Greenwood and Rashford up front.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Change the formation, 442 diamond with Rashford and Greenwood up front

AaronRedDevil

Put rashford up front and james can finally play in his position on the left.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we're paying Cavani 210K a week (rumoured) he is not coming in as a backup. Martial will hopefully have serious competition for his place (if Cavani has not declined massively...). There should be no such thing as an automatic spot just because it's good for your development. There should be a fierce competitive environment at the club.

Hopefully he's fit enough to play 60-70 minutes in those games.

CG1010

Maguire. Would rather have him up there than sabotaging our season from the back.
Cue long balls all day by Bruno to Maguire's head and them flying over the goalposts. Might break our record against Fulham for most crosses in a game :lol:

el3mel

Cavani is going to play all of them. Stars are aligned for him to nail the spot for himself I see.

starman

Maybe he played the front 3 in the second half as a trial with Pogba on the left and Rashford up top, it would certainly be a way of playing Bruno & Pogba together.

Rashford
Pogba Bruno Greenwood​

CG1010

Maybe he played the front 3 in the second half as a trial with Pogba on the left and Rashford up top.
That didn't work out though, doubt it would be repeated in a game where we are allowed 11 players

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Can't we appeal. 3 games for that is incredibly harsh

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I wonder if Cavani can get match fit in 2 weeks. Perhaps, he won't be on international duty I gather.

But still, think we will get Sancho over the line and start with Sancho-Rashford-Greenwood

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
James will start at least one of the games for sure, possibly the Chelsea game.

Think we might see a return of the split strikers though.

Fred - Matic - Pogba
Bruno
Greenwood - Rashford​

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Cavani but might be too soon. Not sure on fitness. Pogba needs dropping regardless for Van de Beek, otherwise I would say go 4-3-1-2. Maybe 3-5-2, but that involves playing 3 of our disastrous defenders... meh.
De Gea
Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Williams Van de Beek Fred Telles
Bruno
Greenwood Rashford​

AshRK

The issue is Ole is not tactically amazing to come with something different. He only has 4-2-3-1 formation. I feel since the lockdown was iver he has become even more rigid. Atleast before that he used to have different formation for big games now he just has one formation.

ShinjiNinja26

When was the last time Cavani played a game? Might be to early for him to just throw in at the deep end. I think we’ll play Greenwood up front, Rashford left with hopefully a new signing on the right, if not we’ll have to play either Mata or James out there. Or we may just switch up the formation completely.

Eddy_JukeZ

Not sure if Cavani is fit.

Now is probably the time to try out the diamond or we'll go to a 5 back with wing-backs.

Mickson

Play a diamond and then two up top.

DDG
Laird, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw
Matic
VdB - Pogba
Fernandes
Greenwood - Rashford

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Newcastle should be a front 3 of Rashford, Mason and Mata.

We'll go from there after that.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Cavani won’t be ready I don’t think, which says something about our business. Probably will be Mason or Rashford with a rejig in midfield.

Zoo

Cavani keeps himself in good condition and he should be able to play some part. Otherwise Rashford.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
With Martial being out, and Cavani unfit to play from the start, I think we can experiment a bit. Maybe try VdB behind Rashford and Greenwood, he finds himself high up the pitch very often and it seems natural to him.

Try Fred - McTominay midfield too, might give it a go as since we're unlikely to score many goals. We absolutely need to make it difficult for opposition in midfield.

Smores

Newcastle should be a front 3 of Rashford, Mason and Mata.

We'll go from there after that.
Yeah think this is most likely.

Cavani isn't even fit enough to join the national team so don't see us dropping him in suddenly.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Rashford, with Greenwood and then Beek as a ‘playmaking winger’ filling the other two spots up top unless Cavani gets up to speed sharpish.

Last edited:

Renegade

We’ll play someone out of position rather changing the system to suit the players we have available in true post SAF tradition.

Some false 9 bollocks with Bruno I bet.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nobody? Surely we’ll appeal that and be successful? That was never a red.

binary bot
We should've been dropping one of the three for an extra midfielder long before this so i think it will work out.

Ralph1386

If we sign a RW, Mason can play up top and the new signing can occupy his previous position on the right. Cavani/Igalho can come on in the last 20-30 mins.