Who replaces Martial for Newcastle, Chelsea and Arsenal?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I don't see the need to play three strikers, since Rashford and Greenwood both aren't really wide players. So I agree with lots of people above who are suggesting to play just Rashford and Greenwood up front, with Bruno and VdB behind them. If those four get to play together for a bit and get used to each other's movement/style, I think that should lead to some eye-catching football with a lot of goals. That's very narrow of course, but there is no law that requires a wide set-up, and all four of them should good in tight spaces.

Red Royal

Still seething that Martial missses > 3.5 games due to that flick.

However, agree with getting VDB and playing a diamond. Perhaps swapping Pogba for Fred or McTfor a solid base.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
I'm not sure why Martial and Ole didn't appeal. It may not have been guaranteed to succeed but it wd have also focused attention on Lamela's own despicable and blameworthy behaviour. Lamela was no angel, that's for sure. I have no doubt Fergie wd have given the case a good shot instead of just rolling over. No appellants ever get their suspensions extended for being frivolous so what's there to lose?

wolvored

Id go with the 352 - 532 and stick with it for the season to be honest
I think we have to. The defence is shocking. God knows whats gone wrong. We could then drop Pogba and play VDB up alongside Bruno. Greenwood and Rashford up front. Slowly bring Cavani in on the 2nd missed Martial game.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The most exciting thing about Van De Beek in a top diamond with Matic on the bottom end is that it could allow our team to play in transition - Matic dropping in to a back 3 when needed or VDB moving in to a front 3 when allowed to.

I need that shape changing team real badly. If Van De Beek has that great game playing behind Rashford and Greenwood; then Ole might finally know the positions Martial should be playing in as well - playing as a player who sits deeper behind Rashford and Greenwood (rather than being the furthest one up) to try initiate plays and/or go on marauding runs.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'd love us to go to a diamond with VdB coming in for Martial.

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Telles
Matic
VdB Pogba
Bruno
Greenwood Rashford

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I'm not sure why Martial and Ole didn't appeal. It may not have been guaranteed to succeed but it wd have also focused attention on Lamela's own despicable and blameworthy behaviour. Lamela was no angel, that's for sure. I have no doubt Fergie wd have given the case a good shot instead of just rolling over. No appellants ever get their suspensions extended for being frivolous so what's there to lose?
Wouldn't failed appeal increase the ban by 1 game?

Canuckred64

My thoughts as well, this red card was a disgrace. We should have least tried to appeal it.

treble_winner

- Can we think of more creative options? Like Van de Beek as false #9? Based on his first few appearances, he likes playing as the furthest forward and link up with others and pop-up to score a few. Could be a good experiment against Newcastle perhaps?
Ole does not do that kind of crazy tactical changes. He has been here for 2 years and most of his formation, tactics...have been well predicted even by the CAFs. He is more about sticking with 1 or 2 familiar positions and expects the players to excel in their specific roles.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Try Ancellotti's Christmas tree formation ala Milan. We don't really have good wide players so that formation could suit us best.

Rashford
Vdb. Pogba
Fred Matic McT
Telles ? ? Williams

Bebestation

Rashford——Greenwood
—————-VDB————
Pogba ————-Bruno
————-—Matic———-
What I like about this is because VDB can play like a CAM/ False 9 player & on the other side Matic can play like a False CB that drops in between the 2 defenders from midfield only when needed. Each tip of the diamond will be constantly moving, with the diamond able to get smaller and compact or longer and spread out.

It will be beautiful to watch in my opinion. When Martial comes back he can take one of the forward positions or even take VDB's position to leave us with our standard front 3 but just shaped in a slightly different way.

TheRedHearted

What I like about this is because VDB can play like a CAM/ False 9 player & on the other side Matic can play like a False CB that drops in between the 2 defenders from midfield only when needed. Each tip of the diamond will be constantly moving, with the diamond able to get smaller and compact or longer and spread out.

It will be beautiful to watch in my opinion. When Martial comes back he can take one of the forward positions or even take VDB's position to leave us with our standard front 3 but just shaped in a slightly different way.
Yep. And if we had a much younger and faster CDM that formation looks even more dangerous. Would be narrow but that’s fine imo

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Rashford——Greenwood
—————-VDB————
Pogba ————-Bruno
————-—Matic———-
Don't think Ole will play this. But Rashford and Greenwood need to defend wide and have to work extremely hard in both offense and defense. Below is decent watch on this.

Bebestation

Yep. And if we had a much younger and faster CDM that formation looks even more dangerous. Would be narrow but that’s fine imo
Ive seen alot of fans talk about the need for the fullbacks to get forward -

However, I actually think defensive fullbacks that hold their channels will allow Pogba & Bruno to be more free on the attack.

In the diamond you mentioned we will be able to attack in a 235 :
Lindelof- Maguire
AWB- Matic - Shaw
This makes us basically have 3 stop gap defensive midfielders when attacking in front of our back 2 in case of a counter attack. AWB covers the right channel, Matic the centre and Shaw on the left. Each one drops in to defence as the opposition attack progresses to form a 532 on defence (the complete opposite of 235) -

AWB-Lindelof-Matic-Maguire-Shaw
Bruno- Pogba
Greenwood -VDB - Rashford
When we have to defend, Greenwood and Rashford widen up to receive the ball and VDB plays inbetween them with the quick touches, backheels and runs from the balls that Bruno and Pogba play from deep.

In my opinion if you use City's defense and midfield set up with Liverpools front line then this is very similar to what you would get.

City - (inverted fullbacks,CDM dropping deep,De Bryune and Silva/Foden playing as attacking minded CM/CAM)

Liverpool- (false 9/CAM player inbetween 2 inverted forwards).

Mix it and it looks like a diamond.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
A 4-4-2 diamond with Fred at the base, VDB and Pogba covering the mezzala role, Bruno as the spearhead and Greenwood + Rashford upfront.

forevrared

Rashford goes up front and slot James in on the left if we want to keep the same shape. It'd be good for James to get a run out at his preferred position, which he rarely gets.

If we want to switch things up, bring in Van De Beek, put him next to Bruno and give Pogba a free role on the left so his lethargy might be a little less harmful. It's where a lot of his success at Juve came, I think.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Rashford——Greenwood
—————-VDB————
Pogba ————-Bruno
————-—Matic———-
It’s terrible. Pogba would have been better in Matic’s role or bench while Bruno in VDB role. It’s similar to Pirlo & Rui Costa in Milan.

The left & right mid will need to have great work rate & stamina to press and cover lot of grounds. Because their duty in defending will be chasing opposition full backs press the midfield. That’s something you expect from Seedorf and Gattuso but not from Pogba & Bruno who are more playmaker. Fred & Herrera/VDB would have been perfect for the left and right midfield of that diamond.

steve.crowford

Three big games coming up for us.. who plays #9 ?

- Cavani is going to be signed as backup to Martial but the opportunity may have come too soon for him to start

- Rashford is the obvious choice by moving James (ugh) on the left. Unless we miraculously sign a RW and then can play Greenwood on the left

- Ighalo is another option but he seems to be out of favour

- Can we think of more creative options? Like Van de Beek as false #9? Based on his first few appearances, he likes playing as the furthest forward and link up with others and pop-up to score a few. Could be a good experiment against Newcastle perhaps?
It's obvious, play 3-4-1-2

georgipep

Don't think Ole will play this. But Rashford and Greenwood need to defend wide and have to work extremely hard in both offense and defense. Below is decent watch on this.

Bruno isn't a dynamic presser and that's why Ole played Lingard in the #10 spot? What a load of BS! Bruno hasn't missed a league game since coming and is one of our best pressers.

I like Tifo Football but sometimes they lie to fit their narrative. Have done so previously when discussing potential transfers too.

UpWithRivers

James----Rashford---Greenwood. Its not the right time to start messing with new formations and new positions. Rashford and Greenwood dont know how to play a diamond. Im pretty sure we played split strikers last season but cant remember the game and it was a disaster. Greenwood has never played number 9 for Senior team and it would be a big ask when we ae playing so sht and there is loads of pressure for a win. Rashford is the obvious more senior choice. Although his form has been sht so thats a bit worrying. But hes the best option. Chelsea and Arsenal need a 5 at the back approach. Lets forget fancy football and grind out some wins to build confidence.

Dan_F

It’ll be James coming in for the Newcastle game and Rashford up top, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see us use 352 at some point in one of the bigger games.

buckooo1978

I'll be a bit frustrated if Van De Beek doesn't come in

he's been impressive

either as a replacement for Pogba or in a change of system as a replacement for Martial

now we have Telles we can play a diamond or a 4-2-2-2 surely

Pogba can't play in a double pivot - either put him in a 3 or as part of a diamond or as an advanced midfielder in the 4-2-2-2

Bestietom

Three big games coming up for us.. who plays #9 ?

- Cavani is going to be signed as backup to Martial but the opportunity may have come too soon for him to start

- Rashford is the obvious choice by moving James (ugh) on the left. Unless we miraculously sign a RW and then can play Greenwood on the left

- Ighalo is another option but he seems to be out of favour

Maybe play a 3-5-2 with Telles as half back/winger. Rashford and Ighalo up front.

Suvvernmanc

De Gea
Bailly maguire shaw
AWB Scott DVDB Telles
Bruno
Greenwood Rashford

Go 3412. Help the defence settle. Get Donny a game. Get Pogba off.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ighalo should play with Cavani getting 20-30 mins at the end. We pay Ighalo enough that he should be able to give us an hour or so.

King Andow

Time for the diamond. Attacking FBs (Laird can play when fit), high energy around Matic, without dross like Ighalo/James/Lingard. Mr. 4-2-3-1 will never try it though.

----------------------Henderson
Williams--Tuanzebe-Mengi--Telles
--------------------------Matic
--------Fred/Scott-----------Fernandes
---------------------------DVB
------------Greenwood-Elanga/Rashford

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Ighalo should play with Cavani getting 20-30 mins at the end. We pay Ighalo enough that he should be able to give us an hour or so.
Ighalo is shit and Cavani is unavailable.

Question is whether Ole makes a formation change going with both Greenwood and Rashford up top or if he plays either in a lone striker role with Jesse/Mata/James taking a spot in the 4231.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ighalo is shit and Cavani is unavailable.

Question is whether Ole makes a formation change going with both Greenwood and Rashford up top or if he plays either in a lone striker role with Jesse/Mata/James taking a spot in the 4231.
So Ighalo is less likely to score a goal than Lingard?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm assuming we won't change formation and will probably put Rashford up top and James out wide. Wouldn't be surprised to see Greenwood switch with him at some point.

It's actually one of the nicest things about our front three - most are interchangable.

Bwuk

I think we'll see Greenwood through the middle vs Newcastle with Mata on the right.

Cavani will start v Arsenal and Chelsea.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So Ighalo is less likely to score a goal than Lingard?
Greenwood is a forward, as is Rashford. Both I'd suspect would be more functional than the current-day Ighalo. I'm not sure either is well served playing as a lone striker, so maybe a formation change is the best course of options. This has nothing to do with Lingard.

You have seen Ighalo recently, right? Looks about as old and mobile as Ole.