Who should be England's #1 Goalkeeper in the World Cup?

haram

Nick Pope plays in a very defensive side so I'd be wary of making him 1st choice.

Canagel

Hart had his opportunities in the past and failed to live up to the expectations so he shouldn't be the first choice. Pope is an interesting prospect but it's a big step to go straight to the World Cup with no international experience. Probably Butland I guess.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
England most likely aren't winning anyway but they have a group of young talented players so they should play one of the young guys to prepare for future tournaments.

A quarter final appearance is completely possible and it would do them good after the past few years.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
They're all bang average but I'd start Hart based on his experience

I say again though they're all bang average and like they said on Sky last night England have the potential to have an XI made up of a lot of players who potentially will have seen very little football during the last few months of the season

-------------Hart-------------
Walker--Stones--Cahill--Rose
-------------Dier-------------
----Lallana------Henderson----
Sterling-----Kane-----Alli

Or some such formation
I disagree about Sterling. He's currently injured now but when fit again he'll go back into the City side.

Paul_Scholes18

tricky situation for England. Hard to pick Hart when he is not even playing. Butland probably the easiest choice as he got experience and plays regulary. Pickford a bit more risky and his form now under Big Sam have not been amazing either. Pope I think a bit too much of a form pick and I think it would be a bit too risky. Same with Tom Heaton.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Pickford for me. Admittedly it could be an inherently risky strategy given the exorbitant amount of goals he's conceded at club level, for confidence purposes. However, when Southgate fielded an experimental team against Germany three months ago, Pickford was one of the standout individuals. Granted its a small sample size, but I was thoroughly impressed with his performance on the national stage.

Deleted member 101472

Joe hart 100%. Been lurking in the shadows quietly for a while now, going about his job with west ham well this season.

Kag

Jack Butland is comfortably our best option.

Hart is abysmal and will be lucky to make the squad. Pickford, well, it's too early. Neville was spot on last night when he said that the World Cup is unforgiving. It's no place to throw in young goalkeepers like Pickford and Pope (who's goal conceded tally is mostly to do with Burnley and Dyche's well drilled machine).

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Such poverty..

None of them are international standard. Have any of them even played in Europe other than Joe "Howler" Hart?

Hart was decent, had potential but he’s massively regressed, once he became billy big bananas, it was all downhill. The story with a lot of English players these days unfortunately.

Massive uphill battle at the World Cup for us again I think.

stepic

Joe hart 100%. Been lurking in the shadows quietly for a while now, going about his job with west ham well this season.
Yeah if you count being second choice to Adrian as going about his job.

Hart is shit. Not sure why experience matters when you let in goals you should be saving. Great experience, that.

Classical Mechanic

England most likely aren't winning anyway but they have a group of young talented players so they should play one of the young guys to prepare for future tournaments.

A quarter final appearance is completely possible and it would do them good after the past few years.
Goalkeeper is the weak spot even in the youth teams. I can't really say any of them in the successful youth sides really inspire much confidence in me.

Classical Mechanic

Hart is abysmal and will be lucky to make the squad. Pickford, well, it's too early. Neville was spot on last night when he said that the World Cup is unforgiving. It's no place to throw in young goalkeepers like Pickford and Pope (who's goal conceded tally is mostly to do with Burnley and Dyche's well drilled machine).
Burnley concede the most shots on goal per game in the league.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...amStatistics/England-Premier-League-2017-2018

If you look at his rating on here, he is good at saving long rang shots, close range shot and reflex saves

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/105720/Show/Nick-Pope

stepic

Butland, Pope, Pickford all ahead of Hart please. Baptism of fire maybe but Hart is not going to do any better than those three. Take a risk, England.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Any lower league keepers worth a shout?

What's David James doing

saivet

Was an interesting discussion on MNF regarding this. I agree with Neville that it's a difficult decision. I wouldn't consider any of them to be bad goalkeepers, but all of them are pretty average and nothing stands out about any of them.

I'd probably go with Butland, but I'll back Southgate with whoever he chooses as I think it's a tricky choice.

Classical Mechanic

What's David James doing
Sam Johnstone, United player still. Very solid keeper at the top end of The Championship with Villa. I think he will play for England one day.

The Villa fans want him to stay with them anyway

Scarecrow

Having a week off

What's David James doing
Funny you should ask that. He's managing in India and Berbatov declared him "the worst wannable coach ever" yesterday, having played under him for a couple of months. :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We would be seriously in trouble without Pickford. He's been shaky at times but it's only his second top flight season and his first for us behind an absolutely atrocious defence.

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
I do rate Butland (he’d be my pick) Hart will probably be No.1, despite not playing much at West Ham.

Not seen a great deal of Pope, Heaton is due back soon, so will be interesting to see if he ends up back as the Burnley first choice, which I think he will.

Pickford I feel is a little overrated. Forster I doubt will make the squad and not a great keeper imo.

They all seem to have a real howler in them, definitely England’s weakest area.

No matter who gets the nod, Southgate will be vilified by the press.

Kag

Burnley concede the most shots on goal per game in the league.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...amStatistics/England-Premier-League-2017-2018

If you look at his rating on here, he is good at saving long rang shots, close range shot and reflex saves

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/105720/Show/Nick-Pope
I didn't know that. Looks good for him. I still think that throwing him in at the World Cup is an altogether different beast, especially when Butland and Pickford are good albeit inexperienced options themselves. I know Scott Carson wasn't up to much generally, but throwing him in against Croatia (I think?) that night still irks with me. If that happens to somebody like Pope or Pickford then it will be an unforgiving time for them.

Classical Mechanic

I didn't know that. Looks good for him. I still think that throwing him in at the World Cup is an altogether different beast, especially when Butland and Pickford are good albeit inexperienced options themselves. I know Scott Carson wasn't up to much generally, but throwing him in against Croatia (I think?) that night still irks with me. If that happens to somebody like Pope or Pickford then it will be an unforgiving time for them.
I agree. I think he should get a shot in the next set of friendlies though as he has been one of the best keepers in the league this season. We have Holland and Italy at the end of this month so it is a couple of good games to get a bit of an impression.

I think Southgate will go with Pickford though and Hart will get some game time.

Zoo

If Southgate really is committed to a new style then Pickford is the best choice. He has to improve a lot but plays regularly, is quick off his line, has good reflexes and can use his feet.

What makes no sense is that he will leave out Smalling but has continued to back Joe Hart who has been awful for years.

luke511

Butland has proven to be error prone, that combined with his inexperience of playing in a competition like the World Cup spells disaster.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
None of them have great claims really.

Hart and Forster- Both on the bench.

Butland- Plays for team with worst defensive record.

Pickford- Everton conceded nearly as many as Stoke have.

Foster- Plays for bottom club.

Pope- Doing well but never been callled up.

Heaton's probably unlucky he's been injured otherwise he'd have a great shout to be number one.

Of the above options I'd go for Pickford as I just think he's better on the ball than Butland (if England want to continue this passing from the back idea), he showed in under 21s he can save penalties and despite having a difficult season his potential level is higher than the other options.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Butland isn't actually that much more experienced than Pickford at premier league level. He was made first choice for Stoke in August 2015, Pickford in August 2016.

However remember Butland was out for practically a year after he picked up an injury v Germany in March 2016 so if you're going down the experienced route there's little between them.

Coxy

Why are people suggesting Hart? He’s not even playing for West Ham is he??