Who should be England's #1 Goalkeeper in the World Cup?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Would have to be Pope. No idea how he'll do outside the Burnley system though. Pickford is too error prone atm and isn't even that good. Butland is one of those that looks solid but statistically he's almost as bad as Hart.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Butland hasn't regained his pre-injury form.

Pickford makes too many errors.

Heaton has been out injured.

Hart is shite and not playing.

Pope I guess?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think with Pickford you have to look beyond the errors (has he really been chucking them in every week).

Southgate is claiming England will play from the back at this world cup. Pickford is the best ball playing keeper of the options, his kicking is generally good from pass backs. From what I've seen Butland's kicking and composure under pressure isn't all that.

Obviously Hart got kicked out of Man. City for lacking these skills.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Most PL clean sheets this season

Clean sheets (Save %)

David de Gea 15 (81%) :drool:
Thibaut Courtois 13 (68%)
Ederson 13 (71%)
Hugo Lloris 13 (70%)
Petr Cech 9 (62%)
Nick Pope 9 (79%)
Picking a keeper off save percentage is pretty pointless, it tells you nothing of the quality of shots faced.

Burnley play extremely defensively meaning they're have a lot of shots against them (the most in the league) but usually from poor positions, long range shots and improbably angles and such. The entire point of Dyche's gameplan is he's happy for the opposition to have it and do what they like, just not in the key areas. This leads to lots of shots against, but shots of poor quality.

You put any average keeper in the Burnley team from this season and they'd end the season with a high save percentage. They're a solid, very well drilled unit, who play to a very specific style that England will not play. They are not great players. Take them out the system and they'll be exposed. Look at Keane this season.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I think with Pickford you have to look beyond the errors (has he really been chucking them in every week).

Southgate is claiming England will play from the back at this world cup. Pickford is the best ball playing keeper of the options, his kicking is generally good from pass backs. From what I've seen Butland's kicking and composure under pressure isn't all that.

Obviously Hart got kicked out of Man. City for lacking these skills.
Counterproductive when he selects a double pivot of Henderson and Dier to be the next phase of midfield. Awful to watch.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We know Hart is a complete headcase that goes to pieces in the big tournaments.

He is also a shit goal keeper so shouldn’t be anywhere near being selected.

luke511

Nick Pope has a blinder and Hart concedes 3 and cocks up big time for one of the goals, no talk on MOTD about how well pope is doing or the current England goalkeeper keeper problem. This is why people haven't even heard of Pope yet, pretty frustrating.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I like Pickford, he's been a bit done over by Everton's shite defending. Obviously still has plenty of things to improve on himself but at least, unlike Hart, he can actually dive to his left. And he's a work in progress so the experience should do him good.

Pope's had a very good season at Burnley though, certainly deserves a couple of starts in friendlies to see how he gets on.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Tom Heaton or Angus Gunn
Bit of a bump, maybe thread title could change to be who should be England number 1?

I'm surprised that these two have only just got their places in the team, still England's best two keepers for me although Pickford did a decent job in the world Cup.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Apologies for the long random bump but couldn't find a Butland thread so this will have to do.

He conceded this tonight:

People talk about Joe Hart but this guy hasn't half had a massive decline aswell although I never thought he was as good as being hyped (after Stoke relegation he was getting linked with Chelsea and Liverpool which seems laughable now).

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Apologies for the long random bump but couldn't find a Butland thread so this will have to do.

People talk about Joe Hart but this guy hasn't half had a massive decline aswell although I never thought he was as good as being hyped (after Stoke relegation he was getting linked with Chelsea and Liverpool which seems laughable now).
Yeah, after seeing that earlier it got me thinking about how Butland went from being the most coveted young keeper in England to potentially going down with Stoke.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Yeah, after seeing that earlier it got me thinking about how Butland went from being the most coveted young keeper in England to potentially going down with Stoke.
I'm going to put this out there, he wasn't that good in the first place. My best mate at the time was a Birmingham fan and he was making far too many errors even then. He had one season where he overperformed his level (think it was 15/16) but that was it.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I'm going to put this out there, he wasn't that good in the first place. My best mate at the time was a Birmingham fan and he was making far too many errors even then. He had one season where he overperformed his level (think it was 15/16) but that was it.
Possibly. I suppose when you aren't watching certain teams game after game you rely on the word on the street to appraise players, and once you've heard something you repeat it along with everyone else until it becomes gospel.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Even back then when you took a look at Butland’s numbers they weren’t that impressive. He’s an average keeper.

Nickelodeon

I think neither of Pickford, Henderson or Pope has proved to be an outstanding candidate. Each of them has a unique factor which is going in their favor. Pickford had a good WC and is the default No.1 for now. Henderson seems like the highest potential among the three but has only one top flight season under his belt. Also, has no experience in performing in extremely high pressure environment. Pope has been the most consistent of the three in the previous three years (even though he missed the previous one completely) and is leading the clean sheet charts this season.

Considering that their may not be a lot of international football between now and till the start of Euros, Pickford might end up clinging to his place.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think neither of Pickford, Henderson or Pope has proved to be an outstanding candidate. Each of them has a unique factor which is going in their favor. Pickford had a good WC and is the default No.1 for now. Henderson seems like the highest potential among the three but has only one top flight season under his belt. Also, has no experience in performing in extremely high pressure environment. Pope has been the most consistent of the three in the previous three years (even though he missed the previous one completely) and is leading the clean sheet charts this season.

Considering that their may not be a lot of international football between now and till the start of Euros, Pickford might end up clinging to his place.
For all of Pickford's feck up's at club level he's (so far) done fine for England. Unless/until that changes he'll keep his place and rightly so.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Possibly. I suppose when you aren't watching certain teams game after game you rely on the word on the street to appraise players, and once you've heard something you repeat it along with everyone else until it becomes gospel.
I think The Olympics in 2012 is what got him on the hype train, i must admit i probably wouldn't have been any the wiser either if i didn't watch Birmingham a fair bit for the season that followed. I remember the goal he conceded at 0:57 on the below vid particularly sticking out.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I think The Olympics in 2012 is what got him on the hype train, i must admit i probably wouldn't have been any the wiser either if i didn't watch Birmingham a fair bit for the season that followed. I remember the goal he conceded at 0:57 on the below vid particularly sticking out.

That was very poor. I have (I think :nervous:) seen him play well for Stoke but I don't doubt I was caught on a hype train thinking he'd be England's number one and fighting for a place at Chelsea these past few years.

Also in that video I heard mentions of Lee Clark (a big lower-league manager destined for great things who just left Blyth Spartans by mutual consent), and Nikola Zigic.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That was very poor. I have (I think :nervous:) seen him play well for Stoke but I don't doubt I was caught on a hype train thinking he'd be England's number one and fighting for a place at Chelsea these past few years.

Also in that video I heard mentions of Lee Clark (a big lower-league manager destined for great things who just left Blyth Spartans by mutual consent), and Nikola Zigic.
Yep Clarke was the manager at that point and Zigic was still holding on. The former was a beyond poor manager though, did okay at Huddersfield but never hit a win percentage above 30% from Birmingham onwards, infact at Blackpool his win ratio was 9.1% (for perspective Paul Jewell's ratio at Derby was just over double that) :houllier:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Aaron Ramsdale as an outsider.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not going to be popular but some guys just suit national tournaments, I'd back players like Pickford to shine again.

With that being said there's plenty of time till the next tournament, would see how Henderson does in some national games.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
@Nickelodeon

Agree with your post pretty much. I think that Pickford and Henderson have a better higher level than Pope but he's very consistent whereas the other two have shown to be prone to feck ups. Pickford has performed very well for England though whenever he has played and he suits Southgate but if Henderson reduces the errors he has made this season he's in a great position due to the tournament being moved to 2021. I've resigned myself to accepting that I don't think Pickford will ever be able to iron out his calamities. He's too hot-headed.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Despite his 2 howlers, Henderson has been the most consistent English keeper this season. Although having a settled back 5 is important, which makes me think it’ll be Pickford.

The decline of Hart and Butland has been absolutely shocking. They were both being talked about as Englands starting goalkeeper as recently as two years ago!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He reminds me of Ben Foster. Can have a game where he's unbeatable so looks good on the highlights reel but also felt he's weak on crosses (according to Stoke forum he's glued to his goalline most games) and his kicking is pretty poor which is what the elite clubs look for in terms of starting off attacks.

We were linked to him for 20m but signed Tom Heaton for 7m instead who's a superior keeper. Thought a Bournemouth or Crystal Palace might've been interested.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He reminds me of Ben Foster. Can have a game where he's unbeatable so looks good on the highlights reel but also felt he's weak on crosses (according to Stoke forum he's glued to his goalline most games) and his kicking is pretty poor which is what the elite clubs look for in terms of starting off attacks.

We were linked to him for 20m but signed Tom Heaton for 7m instead who's a superior keeper. Thought a Bournemouth or Crystal Palace might've been interested.
Yes Heaton's a solid keeper. He was always thought high of at United, even though he didn't get a chance in the first team, and was good once he established himself at Burnley.

The comments from the Stoke forum make him sound like De Gea lite. I have to say I recall very little of the detail of his game when I was watching him in the PL and have seen next to nothing of him this year, but his fall from grace is certainly notable.

Red Keane

Pretty bizzare that all 3 of England's main Goalkeepers (Hart, Butland & Forster) back in 2016 have had significant career declines over the last 4 years. So much so that if you told someone in 2016 that by the next Euros, Preston North End's 1st Choice GK (Pickford), Grimsby Towns 2nd Choice GK (Henderson) & Burnley's 2nd Choice GK (Pope) will all be England's Main GK's by the next Euros, no one would have believed you, including myself...

Honestly other than Hart between 2012-2016 (and even he struggled to keep Butland on the bench at times), I don't think we have had an outstanding candidate for England No.1 since Seaman began to decline in 2002. Regardless while I feel that both Pope & Henderson are both better than Pickford; so long as he avoid's letting England down in a Major Tounement, I would agree that I can't see him being dropped anytime soon.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Henderson is Englands best keeper.
He’s riding a hype train a bit due to being a United keeper. Pope is at the least fashionable team in the PL, but he’s easily better for me.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pope is pretty solid but I wonder how he'd cope thrust into the spotlight for a major tournament, feels a bit like Rob Green going under the radar for years for mid table prem clubs and we saw what happened when he started a high stakes world cup match.

Cert for the squad though.