Who should be our #10 or Advanced AM?

manunited1919

We need a creative player to play the attacking football we all want to see. Who should be our #10 for the 2019/2020 season?

Our choices:
  1. Lingard. He seems to be favored by Ole. Despite multiple opportunities, his goal/assists over the last year speaks volumes about his usefulness. He also rarely is able to provide a killer pass, he just doesn’t have the skill. Most pases he provides nowadays are backwards passes.
  2. Mata. What Lingard lacks in technique, skills, and football intelligence, Mata has in abundance. But Mata is slow, doesn’t have a strong physical presence, and perhaps his legs are just about gone.
  3. Gomes. He looked impressive in preseason, but hasn’t figured at all during the start of the season, even though many fans want to see him in action. Are coaches seeing during training which tells them he isn’t ready? Or is his contract situation affecting his playing opportunities? In any situation, he is very young for him to be a starter for MUFC.
  4. Pereira. This is supposed to be his best position but we have seen him mostly on the wing or as an 8. Even though he played in this position at youth levels, unlocking defenses in the EPL requires much better vision and skills. Does he have the skills we need or is he Lingard, mark 2? We have still not seen him get a run of games in the team, so it’s difficult to judge.
  5. Pogba. He could play as the advanced attacking midfielder, but so far our midfield has looked weak and Ole has preferred to use him further back. But if McT and Fred both step up, Pogba could play in that advanced position, specially against teams that park the bus.
  6. Rashford. Does he have the vision for a creative attacking position in the center? Or is he better suited as a second striker or as a winger, and not really in contention for the #10 position regardless of his shirt number?

In my opinion, we should use 3, 4, 5, & 2, more or less in that order. I would like to not see Lingard playing centrally again because he just doesn’t have the vision and kills our attacks, but am afraid he still remains firmly in Ole’s plans.

Sterling Archer

Gomes. Because I wouldn't lose any sleep to never see Lingard, Pereira and Mata start for us again. Pogba and Rashford categorically should not be played in the role to begin with.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Pogba.

The most creative player in the squad, he had the most assists last season, player with both world class vision & passing ability. If we want to ensure that he doesn’t cost us in the game with him taking too many touches in dangerous area then we need to play him in advanced role not deeper role to get the best out of him.

I just don’t understand why Ole or some people don’t think it’s a good idea to let him play in no 10. He has the tools. We already have Maguire who can play from the back and definitely has the ability to deliver the ball penetrate the midfield area to our attacking mid. I just don’t see the point to play Pogba deep now, beside I always thought we signed Fred so we can release Pogba further forward. And having Fred in deeper role with Pogba as no 10 is more effective than having Mata or Lingard or Pereira as no 10 with Pogba playing around in deeper role.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pogba, not as #10 but more as 3rd midfielder in 4-3-3.

caid

I'd start Mata at the moment.
Gomes will get his chances but i wouldn't be rushing him in.
Lingard can run and press on the wing, getting him on the ball would be a distinctly low priority for me.
Pereira i'd sub in and use as cover for Mata, not expecting much tbh. He does the basics pretty well and if he was braver with his use of the ball he looks capable of creating something. Takes a decent free kick too which would be nice to avoid seeing Rashford among others taking them.
Using Pogba at 10 presumably means using Matic deeper. Who i think is weaker than our weak 10's so i woudn't do that.
I'd use Mata because you'd have bags of pace and mobility around him, he's clever, he's creative and he's a good passer all of which are in short supply. Best set piece taker in our squad too by a fair distance imo.

Hawks2008

Pogba. He is our only midfielder with match-winning quality, there really isn't much point sticking him deeper when be does his best work closer to goal.

meamth

I'd start Mata at the moment.
Gomes will get his chances but i wouldn't be rushing him in.
Lingard can run and press on the wing, getting him on the ball would be a distinctly low priority for me.
Pereira i'd sub in and use as cover for Mata, not expecting much tbh. He does the basics pretty well and if he was braver with his use of the ball he looks capable of creating something. Takes a decent free kick too which would be nice to avoid seeing Rashford among others taking them.
Using Pogba at 10 presumably means using Matic deeper. Who i think is weaker than our weak 10's so i woudn't do that.
I'd use Mata because you'd have bags of pace and mobility around him, he's clever, he's creative and he's a good passer all of which are in short supply. Best set piece taker in our squad too by a fair distance imo.
Mata is finished mate. I'm the most patient supporter but his last performance means his legs are 100% gone this season.

kiristao

I would go with Mctominay in a holding role, Fred next to him and Pogba at 10 with Fred and Pogba having the freedom to swap places during the game as required.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Why do people keep saying #10? We're playing either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, neither formation uses a conventional #10, we're basically playing a #6, #8 and a #8½, the only system that uses/needs a #10 is 4-4-2

But in reply to the op:
1) Lingard
2) Gomes
3) Mata
4) Pereira
5) Rashford
13) Pogba

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Gomes. He's diminutive but I think he combines the running and tenacity of Lingard, with the creativity and intelligence of Mata. He is young, inexperienced and basically untested but we have to give him a chance sometime and it's up to him to step up.
I think he's got what it takes.

Failing that, I'd be going with Fred, Sir Scott and Pogba as a 3, with the latter playing as an 8.5.

My other suggestion would be to buy Fernandes in January. Played in a 3 with him playing as an 8.5, with Pogba and Sir Scott.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Nobody. We should be playing a 433, which suits both of our main midfielders (Pogba and McTominay) more than trying to get them to play in a 4231. Of course the problem is finding them the third partner, so hopefully Fred or Gomes step up over the next month or two.

Varun

Staff
No one.

Play a 3 man midfield with Pogba as the most advanced midfielder.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
We need a creative player to play the attacking football we all want to see. Who should be our #10 for the 2019/2020 season?

Our choices:
  1. Lingard. He seems to be favored by Ole. Despite multiple opportunities, his goal/assists over the last year speaks volumes about his usefulness. He also rarely is able to provide a killer pass, he just doesn’t have the skill. Most pases he provides nowadays are backwards passes.
  2. Mata. What Lingard lacks in technique, skills, and football intelligence, Mata has in abundance. But Mata is slow, doesn’t have a strong physical presence, and perhaps his legs are just about gone.
  3. Gomes. He looked impressive in preseason, but hasn’t figured at all during the start of the season, even though many fans want to see him in action. Are coaches seeing during training which tells them he isn’t ready? Or is his contract situation affecting his playing opportunities? In any situation, he is very young for him to be a starter for MUFC.
  4. Pereira. This is supposed to be his best position but we have seen him mostly on the wing or as an 8. Even though he played in this position at youth levels, unlocking defenses in the EPL requires much better vision and skills. Does he have the skills we need or is he Lingard, mark 2? We have still not seen him get a run of games in the team, so it’s difficult to judge.
  5. Pogba. He could play as the advanced attacking midfielder, but so far our midfield has looked weak and Ole has preferred to use him further back. But if McT and Fred both step up, Pogba could play in that advanced position, specially against teams that park the bus.
  6. Rashford. Does he have the vision for a creative attacking position in the center? Or is he better suited as a second striker or as a winger, and not really in contention for the #10 position regardless of his shirt number?

In my opinion, we should use 3, 4, 5, & 2, more or less in that order. I would like to not see Lingard playing centrally again because he just doesn’t have the vision and kills our attacks, but am afraid he still remains firmly in Ole’s plans.
I think we can be successful with Lingard in the 10, if we play a young team that presses on defense. We'd need to win a defensive game, with Lingard harassing whoever the opposition wants to sit deep to start the offense. Obviously we'd rely on Pogba to unlock defenses for the most part.

I'd rather we play Pereira, I thought he showed enough creativity in pre-season, and he's also young and quick and able to press, and should help us keep us keep scores low.

I'd also be fine with playing 433 with McTominay holding and Pogba further forward with whoever, Fred or Pereira or Lingard. It would entail a more offensive approach, which would at least be fun to watch. That would be my first choice.

We just haven't seen enough of Gomes against EPL opposition to say.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think we can be successful with Lingard in the 10, if we play a young team that presses on defense. We'd need to win a defensive game, with Lingard harassing whoever the opposition wants to sit deep to start the offense. Obviously we'd rely on Pogba to unlock defenses for the most part.

I'd rather we play Pereira, I thought he showed enough creativity in pre-season, and he's also young and quick and able to press, and should help us keep us keep scores low.

I'd also be fine with playing 433 with McTominay holding and Pogba further forward with whoever, Fred or Pereira or Lingard. It would entail a more offensive approach, which would at least be fun to watch. That would be my first choice.

We just haven't seen enough of Gomes against EPL opposition to say.
That’s only if he performs like Messi Lingard from now until rest of the season. However, it’s been almost 2 years he hasn’t hit that form and we know it ain’t happening anymore even if it is happening, i won’t call it successful because the form will only last long up to 2 months. Move on and get Pogba in the role.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Why do people keep saying #10? We're playing either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, neither formation uses a conventional #10, we're basically playing a #6, #8 and a #8½, the only system that uses/needs a #10 is 4-4-2

But in reply to the op:
1) Lingard
2) Gomes
3) Mata
4) Pereira
5) Rashford
13) Pogba
4-2-3-1

------------------------#1-------------------------
#2-------------#4-------------#5---------------#3
----------------#6-------------#8-------------------
#7---------------------#10-----------------------#11
-------------------------#9---------------------------

If anything, this is the formation in which a #10 is used. Some will refer to him as an attacking midfielder (Ozil type player) or others may refer to him as a forward (Kaka, Ronaldinho, etc). With Yorke and Cole neither was a #10 and mostly just played off each other. Sometimes one would drop and the other would run and vice versa. Or sometimes they just played the "old school" way of staying within 10 feet of each other. But either way....back to topic, I thought that this was a position that perhaps Sanchez could have excelled in. He's been horrible on the left wing, but there is a footballer in there somewhere. Guess we'll probably never find out. So for me, it would have to be Mata, Pogba or Gomes

Amerifan

No one.

Play a 3 man midfield with Pogba as the most advanced midfielder.
This. Needing a number 10 and not having a suitable one is a problem we’ve created for ourselves. We have better candidates in Fred, Pereira, or Lingard as the third midfielder in a 4-3-3.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Most obvious choice: Pogba
He is by far the most creative player in our squad, it’s no brainer really.

Ole choice: Lingard or Pereira
Ole system prefer his no.10 to press a lot, hence it’s either Lingard or Pereira.

Fans choice: Gomes
He is young and unproven, but talented. Based on limited number of minutes in preseason and some reserves or youth game, he looks like a player with great ball control and works really well in tight space, the type of player we really lacking in our team to unlock tight defense.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If Fati who is 16y old can play for Barca full game in La liga then i don't why we should not give Gomes run of games. Second choice is Mata for me

Footyislife

Depends on how we line up. Long term i think you want Pogba as the number 10 with Fred & Scott behind him. Not sure if Fred is there yet.

Pogba with a front 3 of James (LW) Martial (CF) & Rashford (RWF) would be deadly. Bring Lingard (Park Ji Sung 2.0) on late for Fred, Jones for Scott (or Pereira depending on if we're at home and how much we're down by) for extra energy legs, and pull Rashford/James for Gomes or Mason. This is the model i'd use.

Tony247

Dylan Levitt. The best inhouse option we have right now for this season.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Pogba. End of discussion.

He's been largely shite all his United career playing deep. His best run of form for us came last season when he was deployed further forward. The guy scores and makes goals. His defensive work is not good enough.

Fosu-Mens

Dylan Levitt. The best inhouse option we have right now for this season.
Definetively among the best passers at the club, not that it is saying much.

Both him and Gomes offers more than the likes of Mata, Lingard(having a 10 that is better when the team is defending is sad) and Rashford as potential 10s. Pereira is a good passer when given time, but his positioning centrally is what lets him down.

red4ever 79

Pogba or Gomes. I really dont understand why Gomes cant be given an opportunity and be allowed to play there say 10 games in a row to see what he can do. He cant be worse than Lingard or Mata

Tony247

Dylan's passing range for his age has surprised me. That kid has adventure and ambition in his game. A perfect recipe for no. 10. Only if Ole gives him some chance. I would like to see him do 15-20 mins appearance and see how he influences the game. And then slowly move him to regular starter.

This is the ONLY natural #10 option. Rest all options we are discussing here are makeshift, workarounds. Not going to work.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If Gomes isn't seeing any minutes there is probably a good reason for that.

Pogba is the obvious choice, but not as a 10, just as the more advanced of a three. He makes things happen for us.

Valuedrug

Depends on the game in question to some extent.

If we’re playing on the break and trying to press, Lingard still has a role to play given the limitations of our squad. A player like Mata might be useful to unlock smaller teams, though he’s the one I have the least patience with these days. And then Pereira. He’s like a knock off version of a Swiss Army knife - can do a lot of jobs, and will occasionally save you, but given other options you’ll rarely want to use him.

I would love someone like Gomes to be good enough, but if he was, he would playing already. I hope we see him in Europe, though I think we need points on the board before he is given any starts.

For now, anything we can do to get Pogba closer to goal has to be the best option in general. Who knows - get some goals and assists in him, and maybe he’ll even start thinking of himself as a United player again.

red4ever 79

If Gomes isn't seeing any minutes there is probably a good reason for that.

Pogba is the obvious choice, but not as a 10, just as the more advanced of a three. He makes things happen for us.
Out of cuurosity what do you think that reason could be? Bear in mind both Tuanzebe and Greenwood have also barely seen any playing time. Is it they are not ready, not good enough or Ole doesnt fancy them?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If we persist with a 4231 then a number 10 needs to be a priority in the summer because quite obviously we have no one good enough right now. A number 10 needs to be intelligent enough to always be in-between the lines and in space and this is why Pogba cant play that role.

Mata and Lingard probably have the intelligence to do it but Mata's go to move is to turn back rather than forwards and Lingard just wants to play 1 touch and pop the ball off as soon as he gets it rather than look for a killer pass (which he doesn't have the ability to play anyway)

Andreas is awful at everything
Gomes I see more as a wide number 10 like Bernardo at City and seems to have done something to someone as is being overlooked completely

Problem is not many sides play with an out and out number 10 at the moment so there's not an abundance of them who are available.

ArjenIsM3

If Fati who is 16y old can play for Barca full game in La liga then i don't why we should not give Gomes run of games. Second choice is Mata for me
Yeah because our situation is very comparable to that of Barca. They have a well functioning team filled to the brink with superstars. They have arguably the best midfield in world football right now. Yes, they can afford to give a youngster a chance. There's hardly any pressure on him because if he doesn't perform someone else will. Plus, he'll be on the pitch with some of the best players in the world guiding and coaching him throughout the game. Our youngsters don't have that luxury.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Out of cuurosity what do you think that reason could be? Bear in mind both Tuanzebe and Greenwood have also barely seen any playing time. Is it they are not ready, not good enough or Ole doesnt fancy them?
We'd need to be closer to the inner workings to be able to answer that. It isn't talent. Perhaps physically they are seeing in training that he isn't quite there yet, or maybe mentally. Clearly he is viewed as not quite ready right now - the stage is perfectly set to bring in exactly the type of player that he looked to be in pre-season, but we've seen lots of young talent look impressive pre-season and then not figure.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Lingard is the best of a bad bunch until we see whether Gomes would be up to the job in the cups.

It's a priority signing for next summer.

Son

For all the stick I’ve given Fred looking at our last game we are gonna need him to cover for Pogba alongside McT.

Mata and Lingard shouldn’t even be in our squad going forward. Lingard is given a free pass by many because he runs around. Patience is wearing thin due to him picking up over £100k a week wages and not contributing where it matters.

I doubt Gomez is ready atm but Barcelona have a 16 year old tearing it up in La Liga. Maybe their kid is the second coming of Neymar, who knows.

Skills

Snitch
We shouldn't play with a number 10 because none of the options are productive enough for that system.

If we have to, just stick Rashford there and go two up top.

romufc

For all the stick I’ve given Fred looking at our last game we are gonna need him to cover for Pogba alongside McT.

Mata and Lingard shouldn’t even be in our squad going forward. Lingard is given a free pass by many because he runs around. Patience is wearing thin due to him picking up over £100k a week wages and not contributing where it matters.

I doubt Gomez is ready atm but Barcelona have a 16 year old tearing it up in La Liga. Maybe their kid is the second coming of Neymar, who knows.
Mata is a decent player and had a good game on the weekend.

So a player who has played 3 games and done well is classified as tearing up a whole league?

TRUERED89

Pogba's best games under Ole came when he was behind the strikers with Matic & Herrera further back. So its the way to go for me, if not Pogba, then give the Angel a go at CAM. I noticed he got his first unused bench appearance against Leicester! I hope to see him in Thursday's EL opener.