Who should be our #10 or Advanced AM?

Greck

We don't have one. Why force it? If I'm being honest playing Lingard as one because of pressing is one of the things that makes me wonder about Ole's tactical acumen. The 10 isn't primarily a pressing role, it's an interlinking and facilitating role first and foremost. You don't play donkeys in the hole because of energy and running. There are ways to improve pressing down the middle without dulling the attack

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Pogba. If we ain't playing a 4-3-3 then just play Pogba in the hole. He is a liability as a CM

Allas8

Pogba. If we ain't playing a 4-3-3 then just play Pogba in the hole. He is a liability as a CM
How is Pogba a liability as a CM? I get that its not his strongest role, but he is fully capable of playing as a DM. You don't get past Pogba 1v1 with the ball at your feet, and its not like his workrate is that much lower then Matic.

Cliche Guevara

I’d say Fred at this stage. He’s an energetic presser and can play creative through balls.

Pogba is far better coming from deep with the game in front of him.

RedAlert27

I think that is one problem we have, is we have too many advanced central midfielders, and we end up sticking at least one of them on the right. Probably why the board didn't go for another one in the summer too and probably why we won't go for one until at least 2 of those players are offloaded.

I'd have pogba as an advanced midfielder with Fred and Mctominay behind him. He doesn't look like he has the discipline or energy to play in a DM/CM role. I'd also have James/greenwood on the right. He needs runners off the ball and mata/lingard/Pereira don't provide that.

I'd like to see Gomes given his chance this season, I'm sure he'll get it these next 2 months with the cup games coming up.

Unless Lingard and Mata make a huge improvement and starts producing top quality performances they should be moved on next summer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This, Pogba just going to be marked out of the game as a #10, and he does not have the mobility to shake his mark.
If he plays deeper then he will be marked & pressed quickly, end up losing the ball in very dangerous position. #10 has 2 different type. Modern & Traditional. The modern one is obviously a player like Griezmann at France, Reus at Dortmund, Muller at Bayern, & Messi which more mobile & looking for to score.

While Pogba can be viewed in the category of traditional #10 which his primary role will be supplying the final third ball because his main asset is passing & vision. The role might not need to be as mobile as the modern #10 role but he's strong at shielding the ball & great technique & flair to beat & get away from his markers or the opposition players. With a lot of runners on the wings like James or Rashford, he can be the key for this #10 role.

SaintMuppet

Why is everyone calling for Fred, a player who can hardly get a kick?

It sounds a bit like ‘hope’ rather than judgement. There is a reason he hardly features and it’s probably because he is not very good compared to our other quality players.

scoi

I want to see McT, Fred and Pogba get 5 starts together in a row to give them the chance to develop a relationship. I see this as the best potential given the squad we have.

Matic, Pereira, Mata, Gomes to rotate in for the cups and strategic resting.

Allas8

If he plays deeper then he will be marked & pressed quickly, end up losing the ball in very dangerous position.
I don't think Pogba has a habit of losing the ball though, not more so then anyone else. The problem is if he is marked, then he will be out of the game, he won't be able to influence the game. If you mark him deep, then you commit a defensive player far up the pitch, which will create space for our attackers. While if Mata or Lingard plays as #10, you can mark them all game long, its just going to give more room to Pogba in a deeper role.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think we can be successful with Lingard in the 10, if we play a young team that presses on defense. We'd need to win a defensive game, with Lingard harassing whoever the opposition wants to sit deep to start the offense. Obviously we'd rely on Pogba to unlock defenses for the most part.
The trouble is that Lingard really delivers almost nothing in terms of goals and assists, and yet a #10 role is your main attacking fulcrum, and once again, we are relying solely on Pogba as our only creative spark

I really think that Gomes is the only player that we currently have, that is ideally suited to that #10 role, but obviously, he is untried and inexperienced. If we really want to play in that #10 style, then it has to be flexing the cheque book.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't think Pogba has a habit of losing the ball though, not more so then anyone else. The problem is if he is marked, then he will be out of the game, he won't be able to influence the game. If you mark him deep, then you commit a defensive player far up the pitch, which will create space for our attackers. While if Mata or Lingard plays as #10, you can mark them all game long, its just going to give more room to Pogba in a deeper role.
If he's marked then that will open more space for other players like McTomminay/Fred, Martial & 2 our wingers. I can't remember who's quote was that, one of United player said that Pogba told me like this: "if you don't know where to pass, pass the ball to me even if I'm being marked on."

As what I said before, Pogba is strong at shielding the ball & great technique & flair to beat & get away from his markers or the opposition players. He has the ability to handle that kind of situation especially against teams outside the top 6. There will be a game he won't be able to handle it but it's normal, even player like Hazard couldn't when he was being marked on by Herrera.

If you don't think Pogba has a habit of losing the ball then you have missed greatly our games this season where he's been caught off losing the ball near our penalty box.

Allas8

If he's marked then that will open more space for other players like McTomminay/Fred, Martial & 2 our wingers. I can't remember who's quote was that, one of United player said that Pogba told me like this: "if you don't know where to pass, pass the ball to me even if I'm being marked on."

As what I said before, Pogba is strong at shielding the ball & great technique & flair to beat & get away from his markers or the opposition players. He has the ability to handle that kind of situation especially against teams outside the top 6. There will be a game he won't be able to handle it but it's normal, even player like Hazard couldn't when he was being marked on by Herrera.

If you don't think Pogba has a habit of losing the ball then you have missed greatly our games this season where he's been caught off losing the ball near our penalty box.
If we play Pogba as #10 against West-Ham, it will be really easy for their DM Rice to mark Pogba out of the game, there is no extra space created for anyone, and it will be like we are playing without our best player. Pogba needs space and time, and in a CM role he is able to move forward naturally when given space and time with the ball at his feet. Even as a CM, when Pogba gets the ball, you often can see two players closing him down really quick, which in turn gives McTominay a lot of space to work with when Pogba does a sideway pass to him.

Also Maguire misplaced a pass in dangerous area, should we stop playing him as a CB too? Sometimes players make mistakes, that does not mean we should stop playing them, kind of a ridicules standard to hold them to. A habit is described as "a settled or regular tendency or practice, especially one that is hard to give up" by the way.

Allas8

As a #10, you want someone hardworking that is good at link-up play, as 1 touch on the ball might be all that you get before you are closed down. This is not Pogba, who need time and space, but once he is given time and space, there is no one better at picking passes. Why does #10 need to be hard working, to shake the defensive midfielders and create space for them self. Also they want to be close to the action, which means they need to be constantly moving as the ball is moving, more so then any other role in the team. This is atleast based on my understanding of 4-2-3-1 in Norwegian football, which you can see in Solskjaers game plan, as that is where he is coming from. Hopefully we can develop a #10 with more flair, and offensive qualities, but we might have to wait for Gomes on that one.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Shouldn't be Lingard. I'd love it if Gomes gets and takes his chance.

But atm, I don't think we should be playing with a 10. A 433 with Pogba out on the left worked for a fair bit last season.

flappyjay

This, Pogba just going to be marked out of the game as a #10, and he does not have the mobility to shake his mark.
But that's was the one time. Herrera used to mark Hazard out of games. We have used Jones for the same purpose before when fellaini used to torment us. Basically it happens but 9 times out 10 it's pointless. And if it happens it should give our other players more time on the ball

Drz

Pogba. There's a reason it was PSG who did that and not every tom, dick 'n 'arry.
I agree it was that one game, but the issues as to why he struggled can prove to be the same against weaker opposition as well. As Gomes has not had a chance to prove his worth in that position, sure let's try Pogba there.
There is no argueing with Pogba being our most creative player. I, however, think he is ill-suited to be either a #10 or a CDM.
And there lies the problem with Pogba for me, you can't play him in a midfield two without at least a CDM next to him, and I have reservations about his pressing game as an out-n-out #10.
I can totally understand playing him as a 10 if it brings better balance to the team, I just hope our creativity doesn't end up shackled if he is shackled in that position.

Johan07

Pogbas strength is on the ball. He will not see nearly enough of it as a No10. Its another square peg in a round hole. Hope it never happens.
If we are going to play a double pivot Pogba has to be one of the "DMs". Its more of an issue of finding a proper partner for him. That should have been addressed in the summer window but for now we have to live with not having the type of DM that can free up Pogba.
So for now its up to the other players like McT or Fred to prove that they can take a more of a defensive responsibility or for Matic to go all Benjamin Button on us.
Pogba as a pure No 10; no thanks.

Tony247

Pogba is in and out no. 6. He starts the build up and then near final third he cuts from left to middle. That's his game. He is not no. 10, in fact if we have a specialized 10 or 8 then he can have a great partnership with them.

Just because he is our only creative player doesn't mean he will be creative in any position. Each position need expertise, even above average will do if not world class. But this approach of playing players out of their position doesn't work.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The trouble is that Lingard really delivers almost nothing in terms of goals and assists, and yet a #10 role is your main attacking fulcrum, and once again, we are relying solely on Pogba as our only creative spark

I really think that Gomes is the only player that we currently have, that is ideally suited to that #10 role, but obviously, he is untried and inexperienced. If we really want to play in that #10 style, then it has to be flexing the cheque book.
I think that's all fair. Another reason I want to play 433 is to take some attacking responsibility away from the #10/AM by bringing them a bit deeper while bringing Pogba a bit further forward. But it would seem that we're playing 4231 precisely so Pogba can sit deeper and help McTominay defend. It makes sense, Pogba has such great range that he can do damage from deep, but it seems pretty clear we're not getting the best from him there.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If we play Pogba as #10 against West-Ham, it will be really easy for their DM Rice to mark Pogba out of the game, there is no extra space created for anyone, and it will be like we are playing without our best player. Pogba needs space and time, and in a CM role he is able to move forward naturally when given space and time with the ball at his feet. Even as a CM, when Pogba gets the ball, you often can see two players closing him down really quick, which in turn gives McTominay a lot of space to work with when Pogba does a sideway pass to him.

Also Maguire misplaced a pass in dangerous area, should we stop playing him as a CB too? Sometimes players make mistakes, that does not mean we should stop playing them, kind of a ridicules standard to hold them to. A habit is described as "a settled or regular tendency or practice, especially one that is hard to give up" by the way.
If that’s the concern then don’t play Pogba as a no 10 against west ham then. He has more than 15 teams in the league he can play against as a no 10 that Pogba himself can easily outmuscle or outskills the marker. It’s not easy to mark players like Pogba who is both strong & skilful and capable to get away from defenders. Some few games need different approach not the same approach applied to all the 19 teams. At PSG game he was playing in 433 formation as CM advanced role and it didn’t work. So I don’t know what you want here, you want him to play as CM and yet moaning about how liability he was in PSG game.

Your comparison to Maguire is very biased, player could misplaced pass because the option isn’t there. Maguire is well known with his ball playing ability while Pogba is well known with he takes too much time on the ball instead of release the ball quicker. You just said that Pogba needs space and time, that’s exactly why Pogba has been losing the ball so often because at EPL, you won’t get enough space & time. That’s in this PL game best for him to play further forward as traditional no 10 so we can use his ability to pick up the final third pass. If someone was able to mark him then credit due to the marker, not easy to stop strong & skilful player like Pogba by just man mark him.

Web of Bissaka

1) Pogba - have we ever properly tried him as #10? bar the few minutes of rare tactical change under Jose, nope. I think he can excel there.
2) Andreas Pereira
3) Angel Gomes
---
4) Fred - if we have to.
5) McTominay - if we have to.
---
6) Lingard
7) Rashford - if we have to.
8) Mata

dabeast

Pogba or Gomes.

Nobody else should be getting near it.
Angel Gomes is the only true No 10 we have in our squad other than Mata (whose legs are gone). He is going to be fantastic if and only if we play him now.

The issue is how will he play with Pogba. In a 4-2-3-1 Pogba is too indisciplined to play as one of the two holding midfielders and we probably waste him a little. We could play Pogba as the No 10 but the problem currently is that we don't have a deep-lying playmaker. Gomes may not be robust enough to play with Pogba in a 4-3-3 unless the third midfielder is a force of nature like Kante (McT, Fred and Matic are not possibilities currently).

We are lucky that Angel is coming through now and, hopefully, with some game time he will fill in his defensive deficiencies.

Last edited:

ricky-romeo

Pogba in a 3 man midfield with McTominay and Fred behind him.

the only situation i am okay with Pogba as a deep lying midfielder is if Gomes is playing as a no.10

Allas8

If that’s the concern then don’t play Pogba as a no 10 against west ham then. He has more than 15 teams in the league he can play against as a no 10 that Pogba himself can easily outmuscle or outskills the marker. It’s not easy to mark players like Pogba who is both strong & skilful and capable to get away from defenders. Some few games need different approach not the same approach applied to all the 19 teams. At PSG game he was playing in 433 formation as CM advanced role and it didn’t work. So I don’t know what you want here, you want him to play as CM and yet moaning about how liability he was in PSG game.

Your comparison to Maguire is very biased, player could misplaced pass because the option isn’t there. Maguire is well known with his ball playing ability while Pogba is well known with he takes too much time on the ball instead of release the ball quicker. You just said that Pogba needs space and time, that’s exactly why Pogba has been losing the ball so often because at EPL, you won’t get enough space & time. That’s in this PL game best for him to play further forward as traditional no 10 so we can use his ability to pick up the final third pass. If someone was able to mark him then credit due to the marker, not easy to stop strong & skilful player like Pogba by just man mark him.
Pogba losing the ball often, what are you going on about mate? Im fairly certain Pogba is our best player with the ball at his feet, and our best passer, be it short passes our long passes. I have no idea where this narrative is coming from, like who is not losing the ball often if Pogba is losing the ball often. Yeah he need time and space, but that is to pick creating passes forward, not sideways passes.

If Pogba does not play as #10 against West-Ham, do you want him benched? In regards to the PSG game, just look at every game after the PSG game where Pogba have played in a advanced role, its like the opponent figured out how to take Pogba out of the game.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Pogba losing the ball often, what are you going on about mate? Im fairly certain Pogba is our best player with the ball at his feet, and our best passer, be it short passes our long passes. I have no idea where this narrative is coming from, like who is not losing the ball often if Pogba is losing the ball often. Yeah he need time and space, but that is to pick creating passes forward, not sideways passes.

If Pogba does not play as #10 against West-Ham, do you want him benched? In regards to the PSG game, just look at every game after the PSG game where Pogba have played in a advanced role, its like the opponent figured out how to take Pogba out of the game.
You just realised that I said that on and on? Well clearly you don't read my post. If you disagree with that then you clearly have missed our games this season.

Pogba is our best player with the ball at his feet, best passer especially on his final third and that's why he suits more on the traditional no 10.

We never play 4231 last season. We primary play 4312 or 433. You weaken your argument about opponent figured out how to take Pogba out because the fact is he played in CM 433 role last season not in a no 10 role of 4231.