Who should be the new England U21 manager?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Very sad about that. World class managers are hard to come by these days.

I'd try to get Woy back if Palace let him go this summer. Otherwise, literally any other vaguely experienced coach than Aidy Boothroyd would do.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Chelsea's assistant manager (Joe Edwards) should be near the top of their list.

He's only 34 but was part of Chelsea's youth setup as a coach from 2004 to 2019, when Lampard appointed him assistant manager. Tuchel kept him on after Frank got the boot.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Lampard might be a decent shout? More time with his one month old and his record of supporting young players as a manager is generally pretty good (treatment of Tomori aside).

Dante

Average bang
Isn't he head of your academy? Tough to leave that job.
He quit when Murtough was appointed as our Football Director a few weeks ago.

I don't pretend to know how good Butt is. But his familiarity with young players (including lots of scouting, I presume) plus his availability make him an easy option.

0le

Lampard is a good shout to be honest and I'd think it would work well. Some might consider it a step down but I think having the opportunity to manage your country at any level as well as managing some of the special talent that England currently have would be attractive for him.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Lampard is a good shout to be honest and I'd think it would work well. Some might consider it a step down but I think having the opportunity to manage your country at any level as well as managing some of the special talent that England currently have would be attractive for him.
Be a good way to build his rep up but if he does shit, then he'll seriously struggle to get a proper manager's job.

Southgate has also shown it can be a fast track to the big job.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Butt would be a great choice actually, but they surely can't pick a worse appointment again than Boothroyd.
Too early in his career, IMHO. It coldb be a total mistake to waste their managerial golden years of improvement in a national team job. That means minimum two years doing occasional training session with players, and having 8 to 20 days to prepare a major tournament. It's a world apart from club management.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I can understand the Lampard shouts but I can’t see it, after recently managing Derby and Chelsea and coupled with being a big name I think he’ll get better offers.

Steve Cooper got the Swansea job on the back of managing England’s U17s despite being relatively unknown, and Southgate benefitted from managing the youth team so it could be a good opening for somebody. I think Nicky Butt does make more sense than Howe or Lampard especially if he has his eye on management.

Deery

Dreary
Can’t believe Boothroyd wasted 7 years of his career on England under 21’s he was a premier league manager wasn’t he?

SamVimes

Can’t believe Boothroyd wasted 7 years of his career on England under 21’s he was a premier league manager wasn’t he?
You got that wrong, it should be I can't believe England wasted 7 years with Boothroyd as U21 Manager. He was a disaster. Perfect example of the Peter principle.

Deery

Dreary
You got that wrong, it should be I can't believe England wasted 7 years with Boothroyd as U21 Manager. He was a disaster. Perfect example of the Peter principle.
Well if he spent 7 years in the premier league he’d be regarded much higher feel he’s done now who’d want him.

paulscholes18

Well if he spent 7 years in the premier league he’d be regarded much higher feel he’s done now who’d want him.
Before becoming the England U20 manager he was sacked by league 2 club Northampton, no premier league team was going to touch Boothroyd

GlasgowCeltic

May be completely wrong about him as a coach but he was a plodder of a player who learnt from the best under Moyes, Bruce, Strachan and Jim Smith, surely this is just more of the same shite as under Boothroyd, Southgate, Pearce etc

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
For about six months.

After he went to Coventry and lasted six months and his last football league job was Northampton. Got them to 2013 league two play off final but they lost that and he then left them bottom of league 2 a few months later (Chris Wilder replaced him).

His next job will be somewhere around that level.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
May be completely wrong about him as a coach but he was a plodder of a player who learnt from the best under Moyes, Bruce, Strachan and Jim Smith, surely this is just more of the same shite as under Boothroyd, Southgate, Pearce etc
Think he's served as a youth coach at Man. City and Brentford in recent times so got decent amount of experience in that field and was also with England under 20s a few years back.