Who should leave this summer?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Obviously a lot of the focus is on who might come in but that will at least partially dictated by our outgoings.

So who do you think should be sold/let go to cut wages, raise funds and free up squad space? And who do you think will be sold/let go?

Apologies if there's already a thread for this I didn't see.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Mata
Matic
Lingard
Williams
One of Henderson/DDG
Martial (only if we get another forward in)

Devil81

Mata, Periera, Jones, James, Romero.

Maybe Matic but that could be a pretty dramatic cull for one summer.

And one of Henderson and De Gea, I think we need a clear plan with the keeper situation.

Edit...

Added Lingard, forgot all about him.

Last edited:

Martialfc

Fred, Jones, Lingard,Mata, Lindelof, Brandon Williams, Martial and Dan James.

Stacks

Mata
Matic
Lingard
Williams
One of Henderson/DDG
2nd that bar Martial. He can play CF different to all our forwards and can compete with Rashford for LWF. Unless we get an offer of £50mill plus I say we keep. Everyone else can be sent to the chopping board as I cannot recall them contributing much this season. If we were a decent selling club we could received
Mata - 5mill (
Matic - 5 mill (9 on transfermarkt)
Henderson - 20mill
Brandon - 10-15
Lingard - 25 million
so should be about £65 mill but we'll get about 25 mill for the lot

AgentSmith

Very unrealistic for one window but I think these would be the right moves to make for the players in question. The final cull of the squad, only the strong survive.

Sold or released:
  • Henderson or De Gea - pick your no.1 and make bank off the no.2
  • Romero
  • Dalot
  • Jones
  • Matic
  • Mata
  • Pereira
  • Lingard
  • James
  • Chong
Loan:
  • Williams
  • Laird
  • Garner
  • Pellistri

Devil may care

Should
Henderson
Matic
Mata
Lingard
Pogba

Will
De Gea
Matic
Mata
Lingard

I'm not counting Pereira and Dalot as they are already gone imo, and we couldn't sell Jones, if he goes it'll be a release.

ForeverRed1

Sell - pogba, martial, lingard, mata, matic, dalot, pereira, Jones, Romero, James, Chong

200million there, to reinvest in the squad on top of the already placed budget.

could potentially give us 300/350million to spend on squad.

get grealish - 90mil. Sancho - 80, ings- 20mil, rice - 70mil and a centre back 50/60mil, trippier -15mil, ings 20mil back up for Cavani

might sound like I’m playing football manager but all these players are gettable for the right price. We just have to pay it.

Cavani, grealish, Bruno, sancho, Greenwood, rashford, Ings and amad would give us possibly the best attack in Europe? Name one defence in world football that would cope with that...

Someone like varane next to maguire, trippier to push and rotate with AWB and rice sat infront of them, we win trophies!

sounds ALOT but how do we catch city if we don’t do this type of business? We have to go big.

Last edited:

Alemar

Mata
Matic
Lingard
Williams
One of Henderson/DDG
Plus Pereira, Dalot and Grant. Also Joel Pereira in case he is still here. Obviously Romero as well. Phil Jones would be a nice bonus

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Pogba should 100% be sold if he doesn't sign a new deal before the Euros. No way can we let him stick around and leave for free.

slored1

Dalot
Williams (loan)
Diallo (loan)
Mata
Lingard
Pereira
Matić
Grant
Romero
Jones
One of Tuanzebe/Bailly
One of Henderson/De Gea

Also Pogba if he doesn't extend.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Out:
DDG 15m
Romero free
Dalot 5m
Williams 10m
Jones bag of crisps
Tuanzebe 15m
Beek 30m
Mata free
James 15m
Chong 5m
Pereira 5m
Martial 35m
Lingard 20m
155m + a bag of crisps

In:

Heaton free
Varane 40m
Rice 55m
Sancho 70m
Kane 100m
265m

Net: 110m - a bag of crisps

Henderson (Heaton)
AWB (Laird) - Varane (Lindelof) - Maguire (Bailly) - Shaw (Telles)
Rice (Matic) - Pogba (McFred)
Sancho (Greenwood) - Bruno (Hannibal) - Rashford (Diallo)
Kane (Cavani)​

Oranges038

First team players Fred & Pogba.

Fred is crap and Pogba can't be trusted to play centrally, so he's being shoe horned in out wide. After that - James, Romero, Lingard, Jones, Bailly, Chong, Perreira, Matic, Mata , Dalot, De Gea would be my picks to go.

Could make the guts of 200m there and your only losing 2 real first team players.

Then sign 5 decent players and leave space for a couple of the younger players to fill in as back up if needed.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Don't think there will be as many as some posters think.
Reallistically I can see Pereira being made available, possibly going to a lesser league team, so won't get a lot for him, Dalot has done reasonably well at AC, think they may well plead poverty to get him cheaply, but I think he will leave.
Matic I think will want a good final deal and the chance to play most weeks, so can see him going, Roma has been mentioned, but that may just be the Jose connection, but Italy would suit him better I think.
Lingard also will also want to play more regularly, so can't see him coming back to United to sit on the bench.
Those are the definites I think, now of players who may go.
Pogba I would certainly make available, very talented player, but just don't see him fitting in anywhere in this current United team, and does disappear in some games, but, who would buy him I'm not sure, Real Madrid possibly? Which brings in a possible swap deal with Varane, if he indeed, wants to leave (always doubtful with players/agents using United as a tool to get pay rises), if that does somehow materialise, or we do get another CB, then I would allow Lindelof to leave, never thought he was quite up to Prem standard, gets bullied too often, and doesn't seem too great in aerial battles.
De Gea also I would put on the market, as I just see a gradual decline in his abilities over the next couple of seasons, is Henderson better than De Gea? Probably not at this moment in time, and is prone to odd mistakes (similar to De Gea when he first joined), but I can see Henderson improving in all departments over the next couple of seasons.
I also think Jones, James, Mata, Martial will be staying at least half a season, Jones will cover CB whilst Tuanzebe possibly gets a season loan, James will stay if Pogba goes, Mata is well liked by players, and may be one of those guys who is instrumental in helping younger players integrate into the first team environment, also helping on the coaching side. Martial I think will stay as cover for striker and left side.

bsCallout

Out:
DDG 15m
Romero free
Dalot 5m
Williams 10m
Jones bag of crisps
Tuanzebe 15m
Beek 30m
Mata free
James 15m
Chong 5m
Pereira 5m
Martial 35m
Lingard 20m
155m + a bag of crisps

In:

Heaton free
Varane 40m
Rice 55m
Sancho 70m
Kane 100m
265m

Henderson (Heaton)
Kane (Cavani)​
You want to keep Matic?

Bondi77

Apart from the obvious ones I cannot believe how Lingard is on so many lists after his recent form at the Hammers and if we do not get Pogba on a new deal I am sure Lingard would be able to cover his attacking role on the left and looks a lot better option as back up for Bruno than VDB.

sparx99

Out:
DDG 15m
Romero free
Dalot 5m
Williams 10m
Jones bag of crisps
Tuanzebe 15m
Beek 30m
Mata free
James 15m
Chong 5m
Pereira 5m
Martial 35m
Lingard 20m
155m + a bag of crisps

In:

Heaton free
Varane 40m
Rice 55m
Sancho 70m
Kane 100m
265m

Henderson (Heaton)
Kane (Cavani)​
I did it a bit different but same idea.

Sell/Release - £165m

De Gea - part exchange
Henderson - £40m
Romero - free
Lee Grant - free
Matic - £5m
Bailly - £15m
Jones - Free
Mata - free
Martial - £35m
Lingard - £30m
Pereira - £10m
Dalot - £10m
James - £20m

Buy - £342m
Oblak £20m + De Gea
Heaton - free
Trippier - £12m
Varane/Kounde/Torres - £40m
Rice - £70m
Sancho - £70m
Kane/Haaland - £150m

Net - £197m

Oblak/Heaton

AWB/Trippier
Varane/Lindelof
Maguire/Tuanzebe
Shaw/Telles

Rice/Fred
Pogba/McTominay
Bruno/VdB

Sancho/Greenwood
Kane/Cavani
Rashford/Diallo

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The problem with selling players in our position is that they only then add to the list of positions we then need to buy for. Realistically the 6 players we can let leave this summer without worrying about replacing them are

Romero - out of contract, been back in South America all season anyway
Mata - out of contract, his minutes will likely go to VDB here on out
Andreas - he's been out on loan all season and not been missed
Lingard - he's been out on loan for half a season and not been missed
Jones - obviously
Grant - retiring?

Other players you would let go would be

Williams/Dalot - you can't allow both to leave without signing a replacement though. Williams needs to go for the sake of his career even if it's only a loan for a season. Dalot's had a seemingly successful loan in Milan who may want to keep him
De Gea/Henderson - one will leave meaning a number 2 needs to be signed, is that Heaton on a free and if so are we ok with him potentially being number 1 in case of an injury?
Matic - his legs have gone but he's still an option, let him go and you're relying on McFred to play twice a week for the entire season

Then you have the academy players who all need to go out on loan

Garner - Forest for a full season
Mengi - Derby
Levitt - somewhere
Laird - somewhere
Pellistri - somewhere

That's a lot of players potentially leaving the club but in reality it's never that many that actually do

RobertoBaggio99

Martial - Inconsistent, especially as 2nd fiddle CF.
James - Mid-table quality. No room for him if Sancho joins, which I expect to happen.
Mata - Legs gone, barely plays + on fairly high wages. Done a lot for our club.
Chong - Disappointing loan spells in Germany and Belgium. We have better youngsters in his position.
Lingard - Worth a lot more to West Ham than he is for us as a squad option. Essential to fund new arrivals.
Beek - Doesn't fit anywhere in our system. Current 6th choice midfielder which says a lot considering we start McFred. Can't see him break through.
Pereira - No explanation needed.
Dalot - Decent fullback but clearly not rated by Ole. Cash in and sign a better RB to compete with AWB.
Bailly/Tuanzebe - Not good enough, not fit enough. The much anticipated new CB arrival pushes them to 4th/5th choice. Sell one to make room.
Jones - One can hope.
De Gea - Same level as Henderson but 7 years older and on crazy wages, a no-brainer for me. Finding a buyer will be tricky.

Looks dramatic but none of these players except maybe De Gea gets into our current best XI. Total income would probably be €150m +/-, but that's if we sell all of them. This is unrealistic but we should at least be looking to make around €100m to fund 4-5 new signings.

OleBoiii

I see people suggest that we sell 10 players and put another 2 or 3 on loan.

Isn't that a little excessive? We'd need to make at least 5 signings and promote another 5 players from the academy then. Not impossible of course, but you know... The Glazers and all that. Plus our club is just as useless when it comes to selling players.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

"I can't see too many outgoings" perhaps relevant to this thread.

Stacks

Out:
DDG 15m
Romero free
Dalot 5m
Williams 10m
Jones bag of crisps
Tuanzebe 15m
Beek 30m
Mata free
James 15m
Chong 5m
Pereira 5m
Martial 35m
Lingard 20m
155m + a bag of crisps

In:

Heaton free
Varane 40m
Rice 55m
Sancho 70m
Kane 100m
265m

Henderson (Heaton)
Kane (Cavani)​
I likes this

Red_toad

Agreed. He will need to sell to make positions available in the squad, before he can bring people in. Always so easy for people to state who needs to go, but in reality contracts are binding. I can see a few will sit on the last year of their deal unless they get a better offer.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Joel Pereira - contract expires
Sergio Romero

David de Gea
Dean Henderson
Lee Grant - contract expires

Aaron Wan-Bissaka
Alex Telles
Luke Shaw
Phil Jones
Harry Maguire
Axel Tuanzebe
Victor Lindelöf
Brandon Williams
Eric Bailly
Diogo Dalot

Fred
Scott McTominay
Nemanja Matic

Juan Mata - contract expires

Marcus Rashford
Mason Greenwood
Paul Pogba
Amad Diallo
Donny van de Beek
Bruno Fernandes
Daniel James
Jesse Lingard
Andreas Pereira

Facundo Pellistri
Tahith Chong

Edinson Cavani
Anthony Martial

I actually think we might see a few different changes despite what Ole said. I'd say all the players marked in red could well leave depending on the circumstances. Imagine we'll keep hold of everyone else as they all have their uses, i'd sell Bailly but given he's just extended his contract I think it's unlikely he'll leave now. If big offers came in for Martial/DvB then I could see us cutting our loses and accepting. Likewise I imagine one of Henderson/De Gea will leave this Summer but hard to know which, I honestly think it's a coin toss right now.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
DDG - 30 million
Romero -10 million
Grant - Released
Jones - Released
Dalot - 20 million
Mata - Released
Pereira - 15 million
Matic - Released
Martial - 30 million
Chong - 10 million

Thats one Sancho and one Danny Ings. Wont happen though

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
McT
James
Henderson
Lingard
Jones
Williams
Matic
Mata
Pereira
Tuanzebe or Bailly
That is roughly 130 mil from fees and around 15-20 mil saved on wages. For that we can buy 2 first 11 players.

But this is not FM and we sucked in selling players even before covid so i don't see anybody leaving.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
To the posters saying De Gea...

Who will realistically buy him this Summer?

SER19

Mata
Matic
Lingard
Williams
Id agree with this and add James also on the basis we'd get sancho. Sancho, rashford, Greenwood and diallo should be enough for 2 wide roles considering pogba occasionally goes to left too

I think with James you might get in and around 100-110m for those. If we had about 100m as it was 210m is a good budget for 3 top additions and maybe likes of trippier at RB.

Gandalf

A lot of fantasy football going on in this thread. The people thinking we are getting fees for Mata, Romero etc. need to give their heads a wobble. We should be able to do some cheap deals but the fact is COVID has wrecked the finances of most clubs and there just won't be a lot of money floating around in this window.

Realistically I think that outside of the players who are out of contract we can probably only expect to move on the true fringe players such as Pereira and Dalot. I don't see us selling a CB unless we buy one first and the likes of James will be kept around as squad cover for at least another season. Probably no more than 5 or 6 players out and 3 in if we are lucky.

DickDastardly

Why would anybody want to get rid of Juan Mata???

Pay him a one year extension and let him be.
Next year he can easily retire, get him a coaching job, or an ambasador of the club.

Juan is the kind of people we should keep at this club.
The same way we should have never let Van der Sar leave.

Eric_the_Red99

I think a lot of it depends on who we bring in. For once I’d like us to complete our signings early on, then we’ll be in a better position to decide who is surplus to requirements.

Players like Mata and Matic are probably past it either way (and I desperately hope that we will be signing a DM as a long term replacement for the latter).

But I’m not sure we should be shipping out the likes of Williams, Tuanzebe, Bailly, Martial, James, etc until we have brought in replacements. Otherwise we could end up with an even weaker squad than we have now.

Zhagzi

Sell - pogba, martial, lingard, mata, matic, dalot, pereira, Jones, Romero, James, Chong

200million there, to reinvest in the squad on top of the already placed budget.

could potentially give us 300/350million to spend on squad.

get grealish - 90mil. Sancho - 80, ings- 20mil, rice - 70mil and a centre back 50/60mil, trippier -15mil, ings 20mil back up for Cavani

might sound like I’m playing football manager but all these players are gettable for the right price. We just have to pay it.

Cavani, grealish, Bruno, sancho, Greenwood, rashford, Ings and amad would give us possibly the best attack in Europe? Name one defence in world football that would cope with that...

Someone like varane next to maguire, trippier to push and rotate with AWB and rice sat infront of them, we win trophies!

sounds ALOT but how do we catch city if we don’t do this type of business? We have to go big.
Is this a joke? Not only is he an ex-scouse bastard, but he is no where near the level we should be expecting.

Also; "We have to go big.". Really? Like we have been for the past 7-8 years now? Falcao, Di Maria, Depay, Martial, Mkhitaryan, Mata (at the time a big player), Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez... I think it's painfully clear that "going big" isn't the approach we need.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Martial - Inconsistent, especially as 2nd fiddle CF.
James - Mid-table quality. No room for him if Sancho joins, which I expect to happen.
Mata - Legs gone, barely plays + on fairly high wages. Done a lot for our club.
Chong - Disappointing loan spells in Germany and Belgium. We have better youngsters in his position.
Lingard - Worth a lot more to West Ham than he is for us as a squad option. Essential to fund new arrivals.
Beek - Doesn't fit anywhere in our system. Current 6th choice midfielder which says a lot considering we start McFred. Can't see him break through.
Pereira - No explanation needed.
Dalot - Decent fullback but clearly not rated by Ole. Cash in and sign a better RB to compete with AWB.
Bailly/Tuanzebe - Not good enough, not fit enough. The much anticipated new CB arrival pushes them to 4th/5th choice. Sell one to make room.
Jones - One can hope.
De Gea - Same level as Henderson but 7 years older and on crazy wages, a no-brainer for me. Finding a buyer will be tricky.

Looks dramatic but none of these players except maybe De Gea gets into our current best XI. Total income would probably be €150m +/-, but that's if we sell all of them. This is unrealistic but we should at least be looking to make around €100m to fund 4-5 new signings.
Having looked at the various options posted in this thread, this particular post is the most realistic to me.
In addition, while I would prefer Pogba to properly and fully commit himself to United, if he is in any doubts, let him leave. We need much better teamwork and Pogba sometimes plays for Pogba.

croadyman

I totally understand him saying that when we have two more games this season and wants to keep everyone feeling like they are still a part of it, just remember that Alexis quote and we all know what happened there

kundalini

Realistic:

Lingard £20m to £25m
Dalot £8m to £12m
Andreas Pereira £6m to £8m
Mata released
Romero released
Grant released

Loans:

Garner (might stay to provide midfield cover)
Laird
Mengi
Pellistri
Chong
Mejbri (possible)
Williams (providing we have right-back cover)

Unlikely:

van de Beek £20m to £25m
James £15m (if Sancho arrives)

After that, I struggle to see clubs being willing to pay the type of fee that United would consider acceptable. Very few clubs can afford the salaries that most United players earn, and they tend to have been hit very hard by Covid 19.

Last edited:

croadyman

Interesting that Whitwell didn't talk about Pogba in that article so obviously thinks he either signs a new deal (unlikely) or just stays next season and runs his contract down then leaves as a free agent

Gog

Obviously a lot of the focus is on who might come in but that will at least partially dictated by our outgoings.

So who do you think should be sold/let go to cut wages, raise funds and free up squad space? And who do you think will be sold/let go?

Apologies if there's already a thread for this I didn't see.

Out: 82m

Romero 0m
Grant 0m
Jones 0m
Dalot 9m
Matic 9m
VDB 31m (or swap with Varane*)
Pereira 7m
Mata 0m
Lingard 22m (only to West Ham for special fried price, if we are getting Rice for #)
Chong 4m

* Swap Varane for VDBeek- Longshot! (Zidane/Real Madrid wanted him!) If Varane is serious about a new challenge, he will tell them they can get VDB, a young player with future value, who they wanted a year ago, or nothing, as he will run down his contract.

In: 194m

Heaton 0m (Keep both, De Gea and Henderson, for at least one more season).
Varane 31m (or swap with VDB)
Tripper 18m
Rice 60m #
Sancho 85m (Top Priority. Effective across all 3 Attacking Mid.Positions).

Net: 112m

.............................................De Gea (Henderson)
Wan.B (Trippier) - Varane (Lindelöf) - Maguire (Bailly) - Shaw (Telles)
.................................Rice (McTom) - Pogba (Fred)
................Greenwood (Diallo) - Bruno (Sancho) - Rashford (James)
............................................Cavani (Martial)

Senior Squad: Heaton, Tuanzebe & Williams (Loan, if we get Trippier).

Also Available: Mengi (L), Laird (L), Garner (L), Mejbri, Shoretire, Elanga, Pellistri (L