Who should leave this summer?

krentz

(1) Any player who overstayed their welcome
Phil Jones, free.

(2) Any player with big wages but minimal outcome
David De Gea, loan
Juan Mata, free
Nemanja Matic, 10M

(3) Any player who still fetch good money in the market.
Jesse Lingard, 25M
Daniel James, 25M

There are also some young players i want to get off our books for their own career-sake:
Axel Tuanzebe, 8M
Tahith Chong, 3M
Diogo Dalot, 5M

These are young players i deem as good enough for PL in the future, unfortunately we cant give them proper game time for them to develop to fulfill their potential so I'd rather sell them for lower fees with buy back clause or large percentage of future sale.

so that's 76M from the sale of our (mostly) fringe players which isnt really bad if the rumoured of 150M net spend circulating in the media is true.

owlo

Phil Jones and the manager as a matter of priority.

Neither will happen obviously. Sadge.

now, what was interesting is your comment around Trippier. Does this apply to every non EU country? So British, Norwegian, Switzerland national all count as ‘foreigners’? How many are they allowed, is it 3 from memory?
Each country has their own rules. There's no EU mandate. In the case of Trippier it wouldn't apply anyway. (And no obviously it doesn't apply to those within Schengen.)

Last edited:

Mark Pawelek

i think there’s always far less ‘churn’ than we think/ hope will happen.

I can’t argue with any individual sales - but can’t see being able to move that number on.

now, what was interesting is your comment around Trippier. Does this apply to every non EU country? So British, Norwegian, Switzerland national all count as ‘foreigners’? How many are they allowed, is it 3 from memory?
I think I need to answer this in the Kieren Trippier thread.

Devil may care

With a month left of the transfer window hopefully we'll start seeing some strong links to players leaving, the Pogba situation feels like it'll rattle on into next year and the keeper mess won't be resolved this window, plus we kept Mata when he should have been let go, but hopefully we can still make at least 4 sales.

Lingard - the player we are likely to get the most for, he's simply not good enough and has had his chances here, this is our last opportunity to cash in.
James - he's fast and runs about a lot but we have Amad, Elanga and Pellistri who should be getting his minutes, if we can recoup what we paid that'll do.
Pereira - nothing needs saying and he wants to go.
Matic - legs are gone, barely used last season, selling him for €15M and getting a new CM in should be a priority.

I haven't listed Jones as nobody would buy him, if he goes it'll be on a free, and we might keep Dalot if Atletico don't lower their Trippier price.

RopersReturn

In no particular order, but should bring in a few quid for a decent DM?

1:De Gea
2:Jones
3:Martial
4:Williams
5:Chong
6:Bailly
7:Tuanzebe

Matt851

I expect we will continue to ask for a relatively high fees for players and end up being stuck with a lot of dead wood and wont raise the funds to buy a dm etc

Dominos

This is becoming a bit of a joke now surely? Summer after summer we cannot get players out the door, there's a good half dozen players we'd love to offload and yet again absolutely nothing is happening with the season set to start next week.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What we really need to stop doing is giving players who don’t play, new 5 year contracts on wages higher than any other team could afford. It’s no wonder we can’t find any takers.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
What we really need to stop doing is giving players who don’t play, new 5 year contracts on wages higher than any other team could afford. It’s no wonder we can’t find any takers.
So basically, don't renew Phil Jones contract.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It makes me laugh when we heard spiel such as the Board getting tough, and warning the manager, you have to sell to buy....
That task is made almost impossible by those idiots handing out overly lucrative renewal contracts to fringe players, and rejecting reasonable offers that actually do come in.

I think United could trim at least 6 senior players from this squad, by selling them off, and that would hardly cause a ripple of disruption.
Jones - Free
Pereira - £5m
Matic - £5m
Mata - £5m
Dalot - £15m
Lingard - £20m
James - £20m
Bailly - £20m
Grant - Free

What would you guess is the annual wage bill for those 9?
I'd reckon its at least £25m per year.

Bwuk

Seems like we are struggling to shift players on.

Id of thought we’d have more outgoings by now.

AndersB

It makes me laugh when we heard spiel such as the Board getting tough, and warning the manager, you have to sell to buy....
That task is made almost impossible by those idiots handing out overly lucrative renewal contracts to fringe players, and rejecting reasonable offers that actually do come in.

I think United could trim at least 6 senior players from this squad, by selling them off, and that would hardly cause a ripple of disruption.
Jones - Free
Pereira - £5m
Matic - £5m
Mata - £5m
Dalot - £15m
Lingard - £20m
James - £20m
Bailly - £20m
Grant - Free

What would you guess is the annual wage bill for those 9?
I'd reckon its at least £25m per year.
I'd keep Bailly. We need more than just one CB for cover, and his top level is still good. Showed some signs of stability last season too.

Edit: Could be a little early to let James go too; the young 'uns are still raw, and he may develop further

Judas

Open to offers
I'll be honest, still a bit miffed and peeved with Mata still being around. Clearly a great bloke, but him taking up a spot on the bench most weeks just seems a shame with some of the brilliant young talent we have trying to breakthrough.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Edit: Could be a little early to let James go too; the young 'uns are still raw, and he may develop further
The way I see it, we play with two wide attacking positions (I'm not going to say Wingers)
On the Left, first choice would be Rashford, but we also have Martial and James.
Additionally, Sancho can play on the Left, so can Lingard and even Pogba can.

That's potentially 6 players for one position, and doesn't even take into account the youngsters just breaking into the first team squad.

On the Right, obviously Sancho will be first choice, but what about game time for Greenwood?
Even if both Diallo and Pellisti go out on loan, you'd still have both Lingard and James available, meaning 4 senior players for that position, and again, this isn't even taking into account other youngsters just breaking into the first team squad

If we have to 'sell to buy' then we have to make tough decisions and be ruthless.
There is no way that we need Martial, James and Lingard, one if not two of those could go, and there would still be ample cover for those two wide positions, and we'd have raised at least £40m to spend in Midfield.

ghagua

I would like to see the following sold for various reasons:

Out:

1) Pogba
2) Martial
3) Jones
4) Bailly
5) Tuanzebe
6) Lingard
7) Henderson
8) Mata
9) Matic
10) James
11) Chong
12) Periera

Would love to see the following come in:

1) Kane
2) Grealish (Yes, we can make room for him of City can)
3) Benjamin Sesko
4) A defensive midfielder (Ndidi would be the top choice followed by Rice or Zakaria)

From the Youth team:

1) Elanga
2) Pellestri
3) Diallo
4) Mejbri
5) Garner
6) Laird

Dosse

I'll be honest, still a bit miffed and peeved with Mata still being around. Clearly a great bloke, but him taking up a spot on the bench most weeks just seems a shame with some of the brilliant young talent we have trying to breakthrough.
Remember reading he was a runner up for a job behind the curtains?

lysglimt

Scout
Imo - Jones on a free transfer, Andreas, Garner (on loan) Dalot, Williams (if we get Trippier), Tuanzebe or Bailly. I actually am leaning towards keeping Lingard from what he showed at West Ham.

Apart from that - I would keep everyone else. We could still lose the odd player to Covid, Rashford is out injured etc - so I want a big squad. We can release a few more players in january if everything else looks good

DomM

Players to leave permanently:
Jones
Lingard
Andreas
Matic, mainly due to age.
De Gea, due to obscene wages

On loan:
Garner
Mengi
Williams, if Trippier arrives.

Tallis

We have decided that we will never let a player leave until he retires or if he wants a move to Inter. Let’s close this thread.

theklr

With the wages we are giving to players im suprised we just dont release some of them

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I don't get, let say if we sell De Gea, and Henderson gets injured in the October is out for 6 months? Then we will play Heaton and have Grant as the second choice, any have hope that we will be able to fight for PL, CL or even EPL of the FA cup?

I'm still not even sure that Henderson is good enough to be our first choice, it's like many of us United fans are still leaving on the hype train from the Sheffield United time. I can't say he impressed me last months that much that I am even sure i rather see him target then De Gea against Leeds if both are available.

The best scenario is unfortunately to them both and pray that Henderson develops more and really gives the staff and the players and most of all himself the confidence and proof that he is good enough to be Uniteds nr 1 for years to come.

If not, i would try to sell De Gea 2022, maybe to Inter, they like to buy our old star players and they actually pay good. Even though they have Handanovic, De Gea is more status for them so they would probably go for it, give us 20m euros and take his salary and i would be more then happy. I googled and googled, and what i could find is that Bilbaos (and the Spanish national team) goalkeeper Unai Simone Signes a 5 year deal 2020 with a salary of 22k/week. They'll wouldn't be up for a trade if that is true because even if De Gea takes a 50% cut join them, it would be 10 Unai Simons salary. Bilbaos whole troop is like De Gea and Pogbas salary, so impressive. Iñigo Martínez on 155k/week, Raul Garcia 100k, Berchiche 77, Inaki on 60 and rest squad is on 17k-40k.
And no one has a buyout clause, which i thought was a rule in Spain even though you can put unrealistic fees like 800m euros for 17 years talent if you like to, but apparently not.

Back to my point, keep De Gea är least one more year and then use the money to raise Pobas salary with 125k/week and give the rest of the 300k that is left of it to Haaland (Chelsea buys Lukaku for €140m, City gets Kane for €150m, Real wants Mbappe and we will be the only realistic choice next summer for Haaland - and i believe he prefer us over PSG by looking at the steps he has taken so far in his carrier, the fact that we have something special going on here now, the relationship with OSG, born in England etc etc). And if Henderson shows us this season that he is not good enough to be the number one without any doubts, we offer them Mata in januari plus 40m euro for Unai, have him here for 6 months to settle in and then sell De Gea in the Summer next year. We offer Unai same salary as Henderson, around 100k, he is only 24 years old and will give our game a new dimension because he is very good with both feet's (yes i remember the Euros), strong in air and already one of the best stats in La Liga.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
SELL:

Dalot to Milan if we can get 20m euros for him and get Trippier for around 25m euros. People talking about Williams, i really don't see him ever being a player a United team that wants to fight for the biggest trophies, and I don't believe AWB feels he is offering him any cause to even think he will loose he plays if Brandon Williams is our second option for the RB position, and yes all three Lindelöf, Bailly and Tuanzebe have played RB but that is like just putting them out there to cover the defense, none of them would offer 1% in the offense, so if A Madrid Santa wants to play games and wanting 40m for Trippier, let him play out his contract, keel Dalot this season to see if he has something to offer or else just sell him next year. Even if Milan doesn't need him, Mourinho would fake him for 15-20m euros next summer.

Jones - Give him to whoever wants to pay us 1m euro or even nothing, just get rid of him and his contract.

Bailly - Older then Tuanzebe and not better. Higher salary and we will get more money for him, rumours about Villarreal wanting him back for 20-25m euro. Win win situation.

Matic - If we can get 8-10m euros then sell, otherwise let him play the games that doesn't matter anything or if we get a lot injuries

Andres Perreira - Fenerbache willing to offer 15m euros + 5m euro in bonuses. No brainer, i like him but is soon 25 and we still waiting for him to take the finals steps, as we have since he was 19-20 years old. It's time to let go

Not much money but it will give us Saul, Neves or Camavinga - and wouldn't risk buying Camavinfa if he really wants to join and we can get him 30m euros, he is such an talent (and yes i have seen him play 15-20 times) and if he stays focused and puts in the hard work, he will be one if the best in the world in his position.

Renato Sancho would be a great signing as week (also available for 30-35m euros, unfortunately i think Liverpool will get him because we bought de Beek last summer that we need to give a real chance and they are both very similar as players, and with de Beeks body transformation, maybe he will be able to out in a shift for us this season).

But again, IF there is any chance in the world that Camavinga would Accept to join us and is not already in contact with Real Madrid about running out his contract so he can join for free next summer when they will go all in for Mbappe, and Haaland as their second option, we should buy Camavinga this summer and start talking to Haalands camp (Ole with his father, not Raiola) so we don't sleep on Haaland and PSG refuses to sell Mbappe and Haaland joins Real, which would put in the same position again like we were before Cavani joined and showed us what difference a world class number 9 can do.

Camavinga 2021
Haaland 2022 (cross your fingers that City buys Kane, Chelsea Lukaku and Real Mbappe). Then Haaland should be ours.

Bestietom

Seems a lot of players that Ole don't need and will get little or no game time under him, are refusing to leave.
They are getting too much money here and will have to take a pay cut elsewhere.

AndersB

I would like to see the following sold for various reasons:

Out:

1) Pogba
2) Martial
3) Jones
4) Bailly
5) Tuanzebe
6) Lingard
7) Henderson
8) Mata
9) Matic
10) James
11) Chong
12) Periera

Would love to see the following come in:

1) Kane
2) Grealish (Yes, we can make room for him of City can)
3) Benjamin Sesko
4) A defensive midfielder (Ndidi would be the top choice followed by Rice or Zakaria)

From the Youth team:

1) Elanga
2) Pellestri
3) Diallo
4) Mejbri
5) Garner
6) Laird
How can I say this succinctly?

:houllier:

AndersB

Sorry mate, a cheap one there.

But you want to see 12 players gone, and to get several players in, including two very expensive stars that one of our nearest rivals is already looking to sign, whilst also promoting a bucketful of youngsters to compensate for the loss of personnel? It feels very FIFA fun world to me, but both unrealistic and like a bad idea in reality.

croadyman

Seems a lot of players that Ole don't need and will get little or no game time under him, are refusing to leave.
They are getting too much money here and will have to take a pay cut elsewhere.
Yeah we are absolutely lumbered with these players on far too much money and long contracts to boot, get the impression that Utd want the lowest prices they can get for Jadon & Raphael but not prepared to lower their valuations on our own deadwood.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Sell:

Pogba

We have to try to sell him if he doesn't extend. He's too careless with the ball and too weak defensively for the PL in his natural CM position. Don't think he's more than a squad player in a more forward role. Clearly not a priority upgrade. I'd rather get a RB, GK and upgrade on Matic next year.

Martial
Unlikely given his wages and recent injury. I'd much prefer a hungry kid like Elanga from the bench

De Gea
Think it'd be impossible given his wages, but he's clearly not good enough

Lingard
He's gonna go back to his usual self after sitting next to Donny. We should stick with Donny and move him on as well if he has another disastrous season

James
We're too stacked now that we've bought Sancho. He's useless as a sub against a parked bus

Dalot
Not good enough, but if we can't get a RB in, I'd prefer him over Williams

Pereira
Not an EPL player

Williams
Not good enough

Jones

Loan
Henderson
I don't think he's better than De Gea right now. Ideally we loan him out, sell De Gea and get a new GK

Tuanzebe
I rate him so I would never sell him without a buy back clause

Pellistri
A 2nd season at Deportivo where he has the chance to claim a starting spot in La Liga is perfect

Amad
With Sancho, Greenwood and even Mata, he won't get the minutes he needs

Haven't seen enough of Laird/Garner/Levitt/Mengi/Fish. I'd keep Shoretire and Hannibal around.

Cavani
Sancho Bruno Greenwood
Fred DM(Pogba)
Shaw Maguire Varane AWB
GK(De Gea)

Rashford Elanga Mata Shoretire
VDB McTominay Matic Hannibal
Telles Lindelof Bailly RB(Dalot)
Heaton Grant

ghagua

Sorry mate, a cheap one there.

But you want to see 12 players gone, and to get several players in, including two very expensive stars that one of our nearest rivals is already looking to sign, whilst also promoting a bucketful of youngsters to compensate for the loss of personnel? It feels very FIFA fun world to me, but both unrealistic and like a bad idea in reality.
12 players gone out which 10 won't even see the pitch and are worthless. We won't even be able to give them away. Yes, Pogba and Martial are included in there as they really won't serve a purpose either. We need better quality in order to compete, or at least some hungry players to fight for their places.

ghagua

@gahgua You’d sell Henderson and keep De Gea!?
Absolutely. Henderson looks like a deer caught in the headlights. I know he is the flavor of the month, but I would take De Gea over Henderson any day of the week. Henderson is not as good as people are making him out to be.

Red00012

(1) Any player who overstayed their welcome
Phil Jones, free.

(2) Any player with big wages but minimal outcome
David De Gea, loan
Juan Mata, free
Nemanja Matic, 10M

(3) Any player who still fetch good money in the market.
Jesse Lingard, 25M
Daniel James, 25M

There are also some young players i want to get off our books for their own career-sake:
Axel Tuanzebe, 8M
Tahith Chong, 3M
Diogo Dalot, 5M

These are young players i deem as good enough for PL in the future, unfortunately we cant give them proper game time for them to develop to fulfill their potential so I'd rather sell them for lower fees with buy back clause or large percentage of future sale.

so that's 76M from the sale of our (mostly) fringe players which isnt really bad if the rumoured of 150M net spend circulating in the media is true.
That’s some crazy numbers you’ve thrown out there