Who should leave this summer?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
That’s some crazy numbers you’ve thrown out there
More realistic:

Jesse 20+
James 15+
Dalot 5+
Tuanzebe 8+ (wouldn't sell him personally)

= 50M
  • Chong will be out of contract after his loan
  • No one can afford De Gea on a loan, he's one of the highest paid footballers in the world
  • Phil Jones will never leave with those wages. We'd have to pay him to feck off
Matic
  • earns 120k/w
  • has one year left on his contract
  • is clearly happy being a squad player
  • is past it
1m max or with a terminated contract (which is pointless).

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Oh man Kane is totally fecked now. It's all getting too Messi for him and his antics.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
More realistic:

Jesse 20+
James 15+
Dalot 5+

= 50M
  • No one can afford De Gea on a loan, he's one of the highest paid footballers in the world
  • Phil Jones will never leave with those wages. We'd have to pay him to feck off
Matic
  • earns 120k/w
  • is past it
I'm fairly sure Matic has 2 years left on his contract, he signed a 3-year deal last summer.

laughtersassassin

Doing very poor on the selling front.

Really should bin a few lads who will essentially never play and buy a DM

Redcy

More realistic:

Jesse 20+
James 15+
Dalot 5+

= 50M
Matic
  • earns 120k/w
  • is past it
Realistic:

James 10+
Dalot 5+
Tuanzebe 5+

= 20m

Lingard is clearly going nowhere atm

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Sorry , I meant made them available for a free transfer (e.g. not demanding any fee for them)
its lots of cases the players won't agree to this though as they will not get the same wages elsewhere. Jones, Matic are key examples but there are others too.

theklr

Can you name me 1 club? Just 1, that has ever, in the history of football, made a player available for free, when they are under contract with the club? Please, just 1.

FM doesn't count.
Alexis Sanchez. Even paid him to get out of contract.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Can you name me 1 club? Just 1, that has ever, in the history of football, made a player available for free, when they are under contract with the club? Please, just 1.

FM doesn't count.
I mean I think we have done it a few times. Rooney & Anderson come to mind. I mean we paid Sanchez 10 million to leave so I'm sure there are more if I sat and thought about it.

SirAnderson

Alexis Sanchez. Even paid him to get out of contract.
I mean I think we have done it a few times. Rooney & Anderson come to mind. I mean we paid Sanchez 10 million to leave so I'm sure there are more if I sat and thought about it.
Fair enough, however I do not think the situations of the players mentioned here and the players we want to ship out are remotely similar.
In the case of Sanchez we actually made money from letting him go AND it was a move he wanted, that is key.
No player in their right mind would forfeit their contract for a lesser payout without something concrete lined up next...Lingard, Jones, Bailly, and whoever else you want to lump in the ship out category would certainly not. Maybe Lingard with the West Ham, but it would still be silly.
Additionally, the club will definitely not let them go if they will lose money in the process and not recoup something from them.

I can't remember what happened with Rooney and Anderson, so will have to read up on that to remember what happened there.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Our outgoings will likely be late in the window, when buying clubs have a bit more leverage and the players know they're not likely to get a huge amount of playing time this season.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Jones, not good enough.
Lingard, get some money now he's hot.
Would have said De Gea pré the Henderson injury.
Lindelof/Bailly, one of them as backup is good enough.
If non of Lindelof/Bailly leaves we should loan Axel to get more gametime.
Daniel James on a loan, let hem prove at a midtable team he is more than an average PL player.
Andreas Pereira, not good enough.
Pogba if he doesnt sign a new contract.
Juan Mata, I think he deserves to play out his carreer at a club where he is valued and important.
Brandon Williams, let him prove he is a reliable defender we can count on elsewhere.

Last edited:

theklr

Fair enough, however I do not think the situations of the players mentioned here and the players we want to ship out are remotely similar.
In the case of Sanchez we actually made money from letting him go AND it was a move he wanted, that is key.
No player in their right mind would forfeit their contract for a lesser payout without something concrete lined up next...Lingard, Jones, Bailly, and whoever else you want to lump in the ship out category would certainly not. Maybe Lingard with the West Ham, but it would still be silly.
Additionally, the club will definitely not let them go if they will lose money in the process and not recoup something from them.

I can't remember what happened with Rooney and Anderson, so will have to read up on that to remember what happened there.
Yeah, agree with that.

What i meant wasnt that we should ask the player to just forfeit the contract, I meant that if they wanted to go somewhere (like Pereira with Lazio/Fenerbache) we should really just let them go and look at what we save in wages instead of beiing so adamant on unrealistic transfer fees.

James35

Lingard, James and Pereira. Then this will be the best transfer window in years.

SirAnderson

Yeah, agree with that.

What i meant wasnt that we should ask the player to just forfeit the contract, I meant that if they wanted to go somewhere (like Pereira with Lazio/Fenerbache) we should really just let them go and look at what we save in wages instead of beiing so adamant on unrealistic transfer fees.
Yeah that I can understand, but it really needs to be a win-win for both parties for it to be viable. I would think Pereira would be the only one that really wants to make something of his career still and wants game time, but I think something like this is a last resort the club would take. Does suck that we constant struggle getting decent fees when trying to sell our players.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust

I mean with Sanchez we didn’t make money, we lost money, just didn’t loose as much as if we hadn’t paid him to leave. That contract still makes me angry and the fact most people in here and most pundits called it a bargain when we signed him still makes my blood boil… but anyway …

But your right of course very few players are going to accept a move that reduces their wages (it’s amazing Rooney reportedly did) But it’s more likely a club will match a players wages if there is no transfer fee involved and so more likely a player will be happy to leave.

really it’s only Perriea which this may apply to this year.He may secure the same wages elswhere without a fee.

players like Dalot, James and Lingard would expect some kind of fee for it would be wasteful to give them away for free.

But players like Jones, Matic, De Gea Martial are on just player friendly contracts that they arn’t going anywhere even if the club wanted them to.

so not asking for a fee is not really what’s stopping moves this summer. Maybe we are asking to much for Lingard in the current market, but beyond that I just think football is pretty scint and it’s hard to sell players.

croadyman

There is no doubt we need a clear out but a combination of no one seemingly wanting our deadwood and them not being willing to take a significant pay cut makes me think our outgoings look very difficult to do indeed

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yet again United has seemingly failed to shift players that Ole doesn't plan to use. Andreas is off to Flamengo on loan with no obligation to buy, United subsidising his wage, because nobody will buy him off us.

Will this, at last, signal the end of United renewing contracts to 'protect value'?

Honestly, at this point, just the wages some of our players are consuming is an obstacle to the club moving forwards.

Zlatattack

Hopefully we can still shift Lingard. It's our own fault for giving Jones a contract. Hopefully we can stop renewing crap players now.

croadyman

Yet again United has seemingly failed to shift players that Ole doesn't plan to use. Andreas is off to Flamengo on loan with no obligation to buy, United subsidising his wage, because nobody will buy him off us.

Will this, at last, signal the end of United renewing contracts to 'protect value'?

Honestly, at this point, just the wages some of our players are consuming is an obstacle to the club moving forwards.
Yeah hopefully we have seen the end of that strategy

DSG

It is a buyer’s market right now. Many, many clubs are trying to sell players. Barca and Real are trying to sell at least 3 to 5 high earning veterans. Man City wants move some wingers. Chelsea trying to sell, Inter selling, Juventus is in trouble…. I blame United for not selling the likes of Lingard, Mata, Matic, Dalot, Jones and Andreas sooner, but realistically, these are all tainted goods. The sheer number of players on the market has diluted their value, and made it extra hard to even offload them at half their market value. Too few buyers out there.

If we sell 3 of those, say Lingard, Andreas and Dalot, we will have done very well indeed. Matic will stay as extra cover at DM, Mata is loved at the club and won’t move as he is a great example for younger players. Jones will leave on a free, eventually.

At this point, the only realistic buyers for Pogba are PSG, and the Messi deal sabotaged that opportunity.

we’ll be lucky to get £25-30m back, and it will most likely be 15m….

Diabovermelho

We got £5 million for Tuanzebe loan, £4 million from Lukaku sell-on clause, and £1 million for Andreas loan. Thats £10 million already. With loan fees from Brandon, Elanga, Amad, and the potential of a Lingard sale, we can gain another £25 million, to make up £35 million total. We can use this money to buy a midfielder (Camavinga or Tchouaméni or Saul or Neves).

If we don't sign anyone else, that means we've spent £110 million on Sancho and Varane, and got £35 million from loans and sales. A nice £75 million net spend.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Happy we got a whopping 28m for James.
Not too happy both Lingard and Martial didn't want to leave. I hope we won't see much of either except for an injury crisis. I'd much rather see Elanga or Amad in the cups.

Dalot would have been silly without Tripp (or another RB) coming in.

Pereira's, WIlliams' and Tuanzebe's loans are positives as well. I think only the latter has a small chance to come back and be useful for us.
I guess we'll find out if blocking a VDB (loan) move was a wise decision before the winter.