Who should partner Pogba in a 4-2-3-1?

ManchesterYoda

Carrick - Positive:Negative ratio = 75.86.
Positive - Interceptions: 582 Tackles won: 565
Negative - Dribbled past: 229 Fouls committed: 136

Rice - Positive:Negative ratio = 72.52.
Positive - Interceptions: 83 Tackles won: 136
Negative - Dribbled past: 61 Fouls committed: 22

Gueye - Positive:Negative ratio = 70.02.
Positive - Interceptions: 730 Tackles won: 991
Negative - Dribbled past: 304 Fouls committed: 433

Kante - Positive:Negative ratio = 69.15.
Positive - Interceptions: 540 Tackles won: 742
Negative - Dribbled past: 299 Fouls committed: 273

Ndidi - Positive:Negative ratio = 65.78.
Positive - Interceptions: 235 Tackles won: 434
Negative - Dribbled past: 178 Fouls committed: 170

Capoue - Positive:Negative ratio = 64.30.
Positive - Interceptions: 742 Tackles won: 753
Negative - Dribbled past: 308 Fouls committed: 522

Matic - Positive:Negative ratio = 63.85.
Positive - Interceptions: 437 Tackles won: 612
Negative - Dribbled past: 289 Fouls committed: 305

Herrera - Positive:Negative ratio = 62.19.
Positive - Interceptions: 529 Tackles won: 869
Negative - Dribbled past: 398 Fouls committed: 452

McTominay - Positive:Negative ratio = 55.56.
Positive - Interceptions: 36 Tackles won: 34
Negative - Dribbled past: 19 Fouls committed: 37

Longstaff - Positive:Negative ratio = 55.10.
Positive - Interceptions: 10 Tackles won: 17
Negative - Dribbled past: 15 Fouls committed: 7

Fred
- Positive:Negative ratio = 54.50.
Positive - Interceptions: 72 Tackles won: 128
Negative - Dribbled past: 85 Fouls committed: 82

Pogba - Positive:Negative ratio = 51.51.
Positive - Interceptions: 302 Tackles won: 584
Negative - Dribbled past: 248 Fouls committed: 586

Pereira - Positive:Negative ratio = 46.76.
Positive - Interceptions: 56 Tackles won: 81
Negative - Dribbled past: 66 Fouls committed: 90

If you play 4-2-3-1 and one of the 2 is not particularly strong defensively, the other MUST be very strong defensively. Otherwise the team will struggle defensively. If none of your midfielders are particularly strong defensively, it is better to play a 3 man midfield. We will struggle defensively if we attempt to play 4-2-3-1 regardless of which 2 midfielders we play there because the defensive strength of our midfielders is not good enough. Playing Pogba as one of the 2 will only make it worse.

Fosu-Mens

The only reason PP is playing that deep is that we lack midfielders that are able on the ball.

If we had a spielfuhrer and a B2B with high intensity and work rate, then the need for PP to drop deep every time we tried to play out of defense would not be vital for us to create an attack.

Unfortunately, a number of the players that would have improved and suited our need in midfield have already moved clubs... And we are instead going to buy Bruno Fernandes for some reason. Not going to help the balance of the team one bit.

stevoc

The only reason PP is playing that deep is that we lack midfielders that are able on the ball.

If we had a spielfuhrer and a B2B with high intensity and work rate, then the need for PP to drop deep every time we tried to play out of defense would not be vital for us to create an attack.

Unfortunately, a number of the players that would have improved and suited our need in midfield have already moved clubs... And we are instead going to buy Bruno Fernandes for some reason. Not going to help the balance of the team one bit.
A what?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
One more thread where "dribbled past" will be misunderstood and misused

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If this is the formation we will persist with, I am more concerned about the 10 position. If a team is to play with one, it is such a crucial position to get right. Everything suggests that Lingard is the first choice in this role, but my concern is that he creates absolutely no chances for his teammates. Time and time again, Jesse lets himself down with a poor, underhit final pass. Mata is more trustworthy in this department, but behind in every other one.

It remains to be seen if Gomes is seen as a genuine first team option in this role yet. He’s yet to start on tour yet, and every indication is that he’s third choice in this role (at best) to me.

IrishRedDevil

—-——McTominay - Fred
Greenwood - Pogba - Martial
——————Rashford

Pogba as a No. 10 doing his thing further forward.

Bwuk

—-——McTominay - Fred
——————Rashford

He’s better deeper with more space to hit long balls.

McTominay - Pogba for me.

Fosu-Mens

First time i've heard that one mate. Usually it's just the fancy Italian names for positions like Trequartista etc. on here.
Well, it is not the best to translate as outside of the "football language" it refers to the team captain, but then again the germans have had some influential and controlling captains over the years.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not sure why anyone would say Pogba shouldn't be playing in a deeper position. Did you not watch the world cup last year? France played a 4-2-3-1 with Pogba and Kante in the 2. This is why I have wanted us to go after Kante. But if Kante isn't available (as he isn't) then I thought we should go after Gueye from Everton...

Walters_19_MuFc

Not sure why anyone would say Pogba shouldn't be playing in a deeper position. Did you not watch the world cup last year? France played a 4-2-3-1 with Pogba and Kante in the 2. This is why I have wanted us to go after Kante. But if Kante isn't available (as he isn't) then I thought we should go after Gueye from Everton...
With France, Matudi plays on the left and often comes inside to make a three, with Mbappe staying forward on the right.

We could try and replicate that by trying Fred there.

Rashford
Fred Number 10 Greenwood
Gueye Pogba​

Canagel

We are only limiting ourselves by playing him at deep. Why would you want your most creative player picking the ball from the defenders? He should be right at the front of the midfield supplying the attack with his goals and assists like the first period when OGS started. If we had ball playing CB and CM to bring the ball out there would be no need for it but we are in a desperate situation with barely no midfield that's why.

Walters_19_MuFc

We are only limiting ourselves by playing him at deep. Why would you want your most creative player picking the ball from the defenders? He should be right at the front of the midfield supplying the attack with his goals and assists like the first period when OGS started. If we had ball playing CB and CM to bring the ball out there would be no need for it but we are in a desperate situation with barely no midfield that's why.
Maybe Ole has plans to bring in a creative 10.

Canagel

Maybe Ole has plans to bring in a creative 10.
I don't see what's the point of a new 10 unless he's leaving. We hit our best run last year with Pogba getting covered by Herrera and Matic with Rashford, Lingard and Martial infront. In that period Pogba was the best midfielder in the world and arguably the best player of the league . It's basically what got Ole in the job. Then we had injury crisis and he started playing deeper and deeper to get the ball.
Our aim should have been to upgrade the position behind him to let him focus on what he does the best infront. He can do a job at deep but it's just that - it's never going to unleash his full potential.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He’s better deeper with more space to hit long balls.

McTominay - Pogba for me.
100% agree with this. The main question is number 10. I think Martial, Rashford, and Greenwood as the other 3 of the attacking quartet seems a no brainer. I’d like to play a ten that will press. My choice would be Gomes, but that’s unrealistic just yet. So we’ll probably start Lingard or Mata in the role. Bruno Fernándes would be a shoe in if he signed.

sherrinford

I don't see what's the point of a new 10 unless he's leaving. We hit our best run last year with Pogba getting covered by Herrera and Matic with Rashford, Lingard and Martial infront. In that period Pogba was the best midfielder in the world and arguably the best player of the league . It's basically what got Ole in the job. Then we had injury crisis and he started playing deeper and deeper to get the ball.
Our aim should have been to upgrade the position behind him to let him focus on what he does the best infront. He can do a job at deep but it's just that - it's never going to unleash his full potential.
Moving him back is upgrading on the position behind him. He can do much more than just a job deeper - he’s in the Thiago/ Verratti class in that position. We would absolutely not have been able to get a player of his quality for that position this summer. Basically, Pogba operating in a double pivot behind a new no.10 is better than Pogba as the advanced no.8/ no.10 beside/ in front of the no.6 and a new no.8.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
In France, Pogba plays in deeper role because he’s good with his passing & he still has some work rate unlike those no 10 like Ozil & James Rodriguez.

In Juve, Pogba played in advanced role because they had Pirlo who can do the deep playmaker job.

We were trying to sign Longstaff so probably we can play him in advanced role. And now that he’s out of our list due to ridiculous amount of fees that Newcastle asked for means Pogba will operate like when he was with France.

Mctominay - Pogba
———--AM———-

Really don’t want to see Matic playing in two man midfield with Pogba. We need someone with more fluid, better workrate, quicker & play more simple than giving the ball away too much which Mctominay not Fred or Matic. Although I fancier Fred above Matic to play next to Pogba as he ticks in everything apart from not giving the ball away too much.

It’s very important to have a ball playing centre back if we really want to take away some of Pogba’s responsibility. Without ball playing CB, Pogba is becoming the obvious choice for us to be relied on for bringing the ball from the back and also the obvious target for the opposition for high press.

Last edited:

ManchesterYoda

Preferably Ruben Neves.

From that list, Idrissa Gueye.

Can you do one for Neves @ManchesterYoda?
Neves 60%, Moutinho 56.5%. This is decent enough for 2 CMs playing in a 3-5-2 system because of the extra defender. In 3-5-2 you don't want ANOTHER defensive player in midfield, unless you are a negative defensive manager. The 3-5-2 we played under van Gaal would have worked better if we didn't play 3 CBs AND a DM, which we did many times. If we were forced to sign a player from Wolves, I would choose Boly, very strong CB statistically, on the ground and in the air. It's a shame we don't always go for players that are strong statistically, like we recently have with Wan-Bissaka. Look at Darmian or Fred for example. Completely average statistically, we sign them and surprise, surprise, they are completely average. On the other hand, Van Dijk, statistically very strong for Southampton and now regarded as one of the best CBs in the world.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Of that list the answer is so obviously Kante regardless of the silly numbers.

ravi2

In France, Pogba plays in deeper role because he’s good with his passing & he still has some work rate unlike those no 10 like Ozil & James Rodriguez.

In Juve, Pogba played in advanced role because they had Pirlo who can do the deep playmaker job.

We were trying to sign Longstaff so probably we can play him in advanced role. And now that he’s out of our list due to ridiculous amount of fees that Newcastle asked for means Pogba will operate like when he was with France.

Mctominay - Pogba
———--AM———-

Really don’t want to see Matic playing in two man midfield with Pogba. We need someone with more fluid, better workrate, quicker & play more simple than giving the ball away too much which Mctominay not Fred or Matic. Although I fancier Fred above Matic to play next to Pogba as he ticks in everything apart from not giving the ball away too much.

It’s very important to have a ball playing centre back if we really want to take away some of Pogba’s responsibility. Without ball playing CB, Pogba is becoming the obvious choice for us to be relied on for bringing the ball from the back and also the obvious target for the opposition for high press.
Surely there are other options than Longstaff we can sign in order to let Pogba play in that advanced role?

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

Mctominay - Pogba
———--AM———-

You’re spot on. Maguire is the key to Pogba’s “freedom” if our plan is to go with a 4231 formation with him in the midfield combo.

Against teams at the bottom half maybe using Pogba as a 10 is worth trying with McTominay/Matic - Fred in midfield. Pogba’s aerial ability and physical strength is a huge asset when he arrives late into the penalty area, similar to what we saw from Lampard.

RedDevilRoshi

One name I’ve not seen mentioned is Thomas Partey from Atletico Madrid. Always impressed me whenever he has played. Apparently has a £40M release clause.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Scott and Fred. Not one. Two.

cyril C

—-——McTominay - Fred
——————Rashford

Yes, Pogba is not discipline enough to be a 2-men CMF and whoever is the home-alone MF will not be able to cover the entire pitch no matter how deep lying he is. When we are chasing a goal then perhaps we can take the risk of an extra attacking player but otherwise it should always be 433 or 4231 with PP as #10.

AkaAkuma

—-——McTominay - Fred
——————Rashford

I think that midfield might develop further into the season. Fred needs games though to get rid of the mistakes.

NoPace

I'm not a big N'Didi guy at all but I can't deny he would fit well as Pogba's partner covering space in this 4-2-4 type pressing tactic we've played so far this pre-season. Tyler Adams at Leipzig too. Basically someone with pace and aggression, a middle class Kante.