Who should replace Lingard?

manunited1919

Keeping in mind Ole sees Lingard as a key player due to his running around in the press system, who else could we use instead of Lingard?

-Mata has much better quality on the ball, but doesn’t have the legs or speed for what Ole wants to see.

-Greenwood and Gomes certainly have the speed and seem better players than JLingz, but they are still too young and they need to develop more.

-Would Dalot be a better choice than Lingard? Or do we need someone else?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Wish people didn't call him Jlingz

Kostur

海尔的老板
Wish people didn't call him Jlingz
Yeah it's pathetic.

It's JLingz14boiiiiiiiii.

As for the OP - depending on the setup and against whom we play, if we're persistent with a #10 then it's definitely Mata, if it's JLingz14 as a winger then Greenwood for me, provided we don't sign another winger/wide forward.

Andersons Dietician

In a 4231 it looks like Lingard would play centrally as a 10. Since it looks like Ole wants to play with this high press someone with Lingards workrate would be needed there but his lack of quality on the ball and his poor attacking movement is a detriment to the team.

I imagine this is why there is interest in Bruno to take that position if there is actually any interest. Someone with a good workrate and quality on the ball would do wonders for us there. If that’s Bruno I’m not sure.

WireMUFC

Lingard isn’t great but he’s worked hard this pre-season and still gets loads of shit. We obviously could do with a new no.10 but Jesse gets way too much hate for me. He actually did have some good link up play today, made some good tackles, worked hard.

He can still do a job for us. Fernandes would be the obvious choice to come in though.

Stadjer

Lingard isn’t great but he’s worked hard this pre-season and still gets loads of shit. We obviously could do with a new no.10 but Jesse gets way too much hate for me. He actually did have some good link up play today, made some good tackles, worked hard.

He can still do a job for us. Fernandes would be the obvious choice to come in though.
If that job is sitting on the bench and not playing a lot of games, i am fine with him staying for another season. I just really hope he isnt going to be a starter this season.

WireMUFC

If that job is sitting on the bench and not playing a lot of games, i am fine with him staying for another season. I just really hope he isnt going to be a starter this season.
If Ole is going to use the 4-2-3-1 though he can be part of the squad we only have Mata and Jesse who are actually 10s and Mata is fading, people act like he’s a championship player. United fans on the internet need a scapegoat a few months ago it was Rashford now it’s Lingard. After every single game, People will say Lingard was shit even if he plays well.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Even a half in form Sanchez would offer us more

billybee99

Is there a single person on this forum that doesn't think that Greenwood, given the same minutes that Lingard got last year, wouldn't match his paltry 4 League goals? I mean, Harem aside, is there anyone?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
My issue is with his quality on the ball in that 10 role. His final pass is atrocious. Off the ball, he’s very good, but that isn’t good enough. Can’t trust his finishing or final pass, so he’s not good enough for that position.

Gomes can’t play that role weekly. I’d go Alexis from the current bunch.

RedPhil1957

If Ole is going to use the 4-2-3-1 though he can be part of the squad we only have Mata and Jesse who are actually 10s and Mata is fading, people act like he’s a championship player. United fans on the internet need a scapegoat a few months ago it was Rashford now it’s Lingard. After every single game, People will say Lingard was shit even if he plays well.

They all know more than all the managers who have wanted him in their squad.

IrishRedDevil

Bruno Fernandes. He has a good engine and high work rate which Ole likes from Lingard, but he also offers much more of a goal threat.

Last edited:

haram

Well if we set up like we did against Inter, Bruno as he is a big threat with his shooting ability. If the forwards are making runs to split the defenders and it gives him space to fire it could be devastating. One fullback might hang deeper in case Pogba also gets forward and a CB has to step into midfield and stop a counter. Would be important to have CB's who can drive with the ball and make a pass (like Maguire and Lindelof).

NoPace

There's probably not a player on the team as of now who can press like Lingard and also make a good decision on the counter (which Lingard cannot), but there are players like that around Europe we coudl sign, sure.

Van De Beek, Jota, Emil Forsberg and maybe Correa at Atletico come to mind, though there are obviously a lot of others.

Fridge chutney

Looks like we'll need a replacement for JLingz sooner rather than later.

manunited1919

My issue is with his quality on the ball in that 10 role. His final pass is atrocious. Off the ball, he’s very good, but that isn’t good enough. Can’t trust his finishing or final pass, so he’s not good enough for that position.

Gomes can’t play that role weekly.
I’d go Alexis from the current bunch.
You are spot on with your train of thought here, up until the last sentence. It does look like Bruno Fernandez should be our target, but I have doubts about whether our interest is true or just made up be the Portuguese press (the new Gaitan). If we’re not getting Bruno, I would hope Gomes at least gets more games. This is a problem we need to resolve quickly, as Lingard’s lack of passing skills is holding back our whole forward line.

slir32

They all know more than all the managers who have wanted him in their squad.
All the managers who have wanted Lingy in their squad have not mounted a title challenge and have mostly struggled to get in the top 4. What does that tell you?

ManRed

Working hard is the minimum one can expect from an athlete. If he was a squad player then there wouldn't be as much hatred. I guess fans hate more the fact that he is considered as a starter and that handicaps us in games.

Agree with the rest of the post Fernandes would be the obvious choice.

foolsgold

Lingard isn't going anywhere; he'll get a new contract and be here for the rest of his career

Bwuk

I’m not convinced he’ll be out of the starting 11. I’d want him as a squad player at best, but he’s the best at pressing in the squad.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Most of the shit he got was after the Leeds game where he was absolutely dreadful. He's gotten some shit after the other two games but certainly not so much.

If we continue playing Matic in the midfield we probably do need the extra workrate and pressing ability of Lingard. But I'm hoping that McTominay continues his growth and takes that spot, and that will then have the knock-on effect of allowing us to play Gomes or Mata ahead of them.

JK-27

Is it just fans who wan him out at this stage? Ole seems to want a pressing style of football this season and has praised Lingard as the best presser in the team. Would seem weird for Ole to get rid of his best player for his new system.

Bestietom

If Fernandes comes in, he will play furthest forward, most likely in the front 3 behind Rashford.

manunited1919

Is it just fans who wan him out at this stage? Ole seems to want a pressing style of football this season and has praised Lingard as the best presser in the team. Would seem weird for Ole to get rid of his best player for his new system.
Yes, this is the only reason he is on the team, and unfortunately it’s his only good attribute. So we need someone who can run around pressing other teams when we don’t have the ball, but who will have much much better quality on the ball, and will be able to pass and assist. Do we have someone on our team that can do that? Maybe Fred, or Gomes? Or do we need to find someone?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
At the moment no one suits the set up better than Lingard, so despite some of the caf thinking he's the worst player ever to wear the shirt, he's rightfully first choice. I'm sure he'll be replaced some time soon and then he'll go on to be a valuable squad player.