Who should we be watching for?

mista john

TonyPark said:
Many of the players mentioned will probably go out on loan.....Jonny Evans, Gibson, Simpson, Martin, Campbell.....so it's hard to say who will make the step up.......

Watch out for the young Northern Ireland defender Craig Cathcart......has looked very impressive in central defence....
From the Antwerp viewpoint, it looks like Simpson and Jonny Evans will be there next season. Martin will not be, but he looked a good prospect to me - fast and clever on the ball. Also very confident. What can people say about Evans? Who is he like at Old Trafford (past and present)?

BezsMaracas

From what I remember of Evans he's basically a huge, very imposing defender. Looks to have a good future ahead. I hope we can get some of our youngsters out on loan in the Premiership this year

Gabe

I came across this review on another forum, posted by one 'Macari', he rates Johnny Evans very highly, also rates Simpson very highly too.
Seems we have a glut of talented defenders coming through;
Pique, Evans, Simpson, Eckersly

Jonathon Evans
Nationality: Northern Irish
Height: 6’1 positions played: CB, SWE

What I wrote at the start of the season:

He’s only 17 and has been promoted from the u-18 where obviously he was exceptional. He’s not a player I know much about and he doesn’t get much exposure beings as he is in a no thrills position. Will have to comment on him later in the season to see how he has coped with his first season at reserve level. He has looked good so far..but that is hardly enough of a review so I’ll give him his due mid-season.

Mid-Season

Easy to see why he was promoted from the u-18 team. He is mature beyond his years in all aspects of his game. His forte is reading play and intercepting balls without going to ground. He’s taller then I estimated as well I’d say he’s about 6’ tall and he knows how to use his body strength well. Not sure about his pace, he has never had reason to be all out in a sprint as he often positions himself well enough to not have to over exert himself. I like this player, he has a way to go and has to grow quite a bit, but at 17 what would you expect. As soon as Pique is done with the reserves Evans will step into his role as the ball playing CB who likes to break rank and take the ball up field.

End of Season Review

Rossi Non-withstanding, Jonathon Evans is my Player of The Half Season by a huge distance. This kid is an amazing talent at CB. It’s quite literally disgusting to watch him shackle striker after striker he comes up against in the reserves. I even gave him a 9.5 out of 10 his performance in the 6-0 demolition of Citeh. He is better than Pique, for a start. Very much in the way you can say Campbell is better than Blake despite doing less. You can see Evans’ class immediately. He is the player I wouldn’t tell you about if I took you to a game and you’d ask me who he was within 30minutes. He oozes the kind of class I last saw in Danny Simpson, D.Jones and Rossi. I can not recall him putting a foot wrong this term. Mistakes do not seem to be part of repertoire. He is ‘too’ calm! He is assured, precise, intelligent and extremely confident starting attacks out of the back.

He was paired up with Heinze and Pique this season once he got his full reserve break and he has always looked the better player! He has the air of a player that does not need to learn, but rather just needs to grow and fill out. I’m quite certain you can’t teach a player to move and be positionally and defensively aware like that. It’s a gift and it’s certainly part of why he oozes class. I have as much confidence he will make it here as I reserve for D.Jones and Rossi exclusively. Unlike Pique, Evans can play as both a conventional, proactive CB or a reactive and laid back Sweeper type without a fuss. He has taken on and switched to both roles in accordance with who he is partnered with. When he played with Heinze he took the sweeper-type role. When he is paired with Pique he either alternates (as the player who breaks from defence and carries the ball up-field) or plays the proactive player. I haven’t seen a striker get the better of him yet and it’s why I can’t put a weakness to his game yet. Obviously, they’ll be revealed as he goes up the ranks, but at reserve level he’s shutting down his side of the pitch so much so that strikers naturally lean towards Pique’s side to get change. Even with Heinze on the pitch it is him they try to take on rather than going at Evans.

I expect him to be fast-tracked either to a loan next season or to some kind of interactions with the first team next year in the Carling Cup (if we take it lightly in the 1st few rounds). By his age alone he has no business as a CB being anything to do with the 1st team for a few years yet, but I’ll make the call now and say I expect to see him get a CC run-out. I’m pretty sure if he carries on with this level of performance, or dare I say it, above it, at the start of the next reserve season the club is going to have to loan him out (just as they fast-tracked Simpson this year) just to find out what weaknesses he has and how he copes if he needs to go up a level still.

I mentioned he was ‘too’ calm earlier in his write-up. What I mean by this is that he just doesn’t seem bothered when he’s up against it, perhaps that’s his style, but to me it looks like he’s playing well within himself. He sometimes let’s his man go past him on purpose and I’m thinking ‘but you could’ve made the tackle there’ almost ready to curse him and then he’ll scoop the ball off the striker’s foot, turn and just jog away as if he’s playing against a child. He’s done that quite a few times this season and it always gets a round of applause from the crowd and a gasp of amazement from me. You can’t teach a CB to play like that. In fact, I’d think he’s breaking a few of the basics in the CB manual sometimes with the things he does. It may have him caught out one day, but that day has definitely not come to him in the reserves. He’s only been playing at this level for 5months and already it looks like he needs to move on for a (bigger) challenge! I’m not talking about his physical build either, he obviously needs to fill out a bit, I’m talking about his technical level, I have yet to see his mask of calm even disrupted. What I want to see is him get really, really pushed by some strikers to see if he can play how he does in the reserves against them. I basically want to see him get mauled a few times…

a) to see how it affects him and he copes with it.
To see if he can adapt to a player he knows has the beating of him
c) For my own piece of mind.

I’d like to see him get the worst of it all: Rooney, Henry, Ruud, Drunken Ferguson. Just to know this kid, is in fact still a kid and does have more to learn. It’s a bit odd to make a review of a teenager and have nothing bad to say about him, but what can I say? I haven’t seen him beaten by anyone in the reserves where I have seen Bardsley, McShane, Pique and co get absolutely mauled by Agbanglahor, Miller, BWP at one time or another. Evans has breezed through all his games as you would expect someone like Rio to do at a level far beneath his talents. His path reminds me a lot of Simpson and how he got fast-tracked. He had no equal in the league and he was not going to develop at that level. This seems to me to be Evans’ path as well. If Rossi wasn’t on the pitch with him (since the influx of new kids came up after the other reserves were loaned out) he would have won MoM from me for around 80% of the games he’s played this half-term.

Acceleration – Very good
Pace – Unsure (he has never gone at full pace as far as I can see, so I can’t call it)
Build – Thin, tall, not PL ready. Quite strong.
Constitution – strong
Preferred foot – Very comfortable on either foot.
Chance of making it here (imo) – Very high.

mista john

Gabe said:
I came across this review on another forum, posted by one 'Macari', he rates Johnny Evans very highly, also rates Simpson very highly too.
Seems we have a glut of talented defenders coming through;
Pique, Evans, Simpson, Eckersly

[/I]
Remarkable review on Evans by "Macari". Looks to be an excellent player. My only concern is that Simpson gets lots of good mentions there and he struggled to hold down a place at antwerp last season. If they are both there in coming campaign - and Simpson has found his feet - it could be a good defensive line-up. And Evans should get roughed up a bit. Thanks ...

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
mista john said:
Remarkable review on Evans by "Macari". Looks to be an excellent player. My only concern is that Simpson gets lots of good mentions there and he struggled to hold down a place at antwerp last season. If they are both there in coming campaign - and Simpson has found his feet - it could be a good defensive line-up. And Evans should get roughed up a bit. Thanks ...
Simpson was a regular in the Antwerp side.......he played in 14 out of the 16 games during his period there...........hardly struggling to hold down a position!

But I agree Simpson and Evans are both good talents...

mista john

TonyPark said:
Simpson was a regular in the Antwerp side.......he played in 14 out of the 16 games during his period there...........hardly struggling to hold down a position!

Maybe I phrased that wrong but he did a few of those appearances as sub. I did see him aboiut three times. Once when I saw Antwerp, he was on the bench. I guess I was comparing him to Martin and Eckersley who were automatic picks. Hope Simpson has a great season at Antwerp in near future ...

oskarutd

mista john said:
Maybe I phrased that wrong but he did a few of those appearances as sub. I did see him aboiut three times. Once when I saw Antwerp, he was on the bench. I guess I was comparing him to Martin and Eckersley who were automatic picks. Hope Simpson has a great season at Antwerp in near future ...
Simpson said on MUTV after the tuesdays game that he will go out on loan, he didn´t no yet which club he would go to......

BezsMaracas

I think with Rene at Brondby now we could see us set up a loan agreement with them, and hopefully a few more going to NEC. It would be a huge step up from the Belgian second division.

red thru&thru

i said campbell was the one to watch for last year and this year it will be cathcart and corry evans (jonny evans brother).

although theres been mentioned that the kid eikrem is meant to be good

RedTom

A player i've been really impressed with is Kieran Lee.

This coming season it still to soon for the lad but he did make an apperance in Keano's testamonial and the manager has praised him a few times so you never know he could get a game.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Afraid that Evans should be going to a higher level. The level in Antwerpen might be far to low for him to develop in the way we would want him to.

Mr. MUJAC

andersj said:
Afraid that Evans should be going to a higher level. The level in Antwerpen might be far to low for him to develop in the way we would want him to.
Not sure......he is still making elementary mistakes.......easier to learn from them in Belgium than in the Premiership/Championship......

Let's wait and see.......although he is clearly a talent...I think he is a seriously good player and European experience at this stage of his career will do him no harm at all........

BezsMaracas

I think the moving to a foreign country is as big a stage in the youngsters development as is playing first team football every week. Even if its a poor standard, its still competitive games against older professionals, which beats the academy sides.

I'm still looking forward to us developing relations with Brondby and NEC as these will further help our youngsters develop.

Parks Life

Is anyone else disappointed that the likes of Gibson and Frazier Campbell are going to Antwerp?

Surely the standard in the Championship would be better.

Gibson, I have high hopes of. The guy is a UNIT and his passing is excellent.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
TonyPark said:

I know you've got decades of experience watching the reserves and so on, so I understand when you call talents good when others perhaps go a little overboard, but, I am curious to know when was the last time you saw a player you considered 'excellent' at reserve level, rather than good? And who was it?

Mr. MUJAC

Fortitude said:
I know you've got decades of experience watching the reserves and so on, so I understand when you call talents good when others perhaps go a little overboard, but, I am curious to know when was the last time you saw a player you considered 'excellent' at reserve level, rather than good? And who was it?
Rossi stood out a mile........before that David Jones....

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
TonyPark said:
Ok, glad to hear that. I thought the same. Was half expecting you to say someone from the class of '92

BezsMaracas

TonyPark said:
Thats why im so disappointed that Jones isn't being given a fair go at the first team, he's shone at every level and every club he's been at, yet he's being played behind Liam Miller who is transfer listed. He'll probably be sold if it goes on much longer.

zappauk2003

Well for me out of all the really excellent prospects we currently have, Keiron Lee has done nothing but impress me immensely evrytime I've seen him. Could probably do with filling out a little more but is naturally two footed, absolutely glides past opponents, a neat and tidy passer of the ball and instinctively seems to know the right time to go forward. Is a converted left back but I feel he could play left or right wing or central midfield just as easily. I honestly feel this kid is destined for great things and have thought so for several months now.

Mr. MUJAC

zappauk2003 said:
Well for me out of all the really excellent prospects we currently have, Keiron Lee has done nothing but impress me immensely evrytime I've seen him. Could probably do with filling out a little more but is naturally two footed, absolutely glides past opponents, a neat and tidy passer of the ball and instinctively seems to know the right time to go forward. Is a converted left back but I feel he could play left or right wing or central midfield just as easily. I honestly feel this kid is destined for great things and have thought so for several months now.
He is normally a midfielder but has played left back most of last season as Ecks has been on loan........

Bearded but no genius

KaiserSoze666 said:
Thats why im so disappointed that Jones isn't being given a fair go at the first team, he's shone at every level and every club he's been at, yet he's being played behind Liam Miller who is transfer listed. He'll probably be sold if it goes on much longer.
That's a bit pessimistic.

For some reason Jones is being wrapped in cotton wool by Fergie it seems.

He should get some chances this season, and that will make Fergie's mind up.

Perhaps he feels a bit burned by Fletcher, who he saw/sees as a potentially truly great midfielder who has not shown it consistently yet.

BezsMaracas

jasonrh said:
That's a bit pessimistic.

For some reason Jones is being wrapped in cotton wool by Fergie it seems.

He should get some chances this season, and that will make Fergie's mind up.

Perhaps he feels a bit burned by Fletcher, who he saw/sees as a potentially truly great midfielder who has not shown it consistently yet.
Is he though? Hope your right but the longer it goes on the more I think Fergie doesn't rate him as highly as most, despite previous comments to the contrary. He was a player who before preseason I expected to get more of a chance this year than Rossi would, but it doesn't look that way. The fact that Miller has been getting games ahead of him speaks volumes to me.

beergod

KaiserSoze666 said:
Is he though? Hope your right but the longer it goes on the more I think Fergie doesn't rate him as highly as most, despite previous comments to the contrary. He was a player who before preseason I expected to get more of a chance this year than Rossi would, but it doesn't look that way. The fact that Miller has been getting games ahead of him speaks volumes to me.
I think it has more to do with getting miller in the shop window and hoping someone will take him off of our hands before the start of the season.

Motterman

Gabe said:
Good on you Gabe for having the class of crediting the source for this opinion piece. However, "Macari" did no such thing, which is bad form. The original author of that piece is the poster "Dark Savante" who is a well-respected regular on the BigSoccer.com boards. Thanks.