Who to buy to address the attack for next season

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Absolutely. The underrating of our players or overrating of our rivals' depending which angle you look at it is really bizarre. Obviously if the new addition is Ronaldo or Neymar, that can probably make a difference on its own but there are about 3 or 4 players of that quality in the world, they are not realistic targets. The level after that is like you say will just end up like what we have already because the level after that needs more help tactically and coaching wise.
I disagree. You’re basically saying after CR7/Neymar/Messi, everyone else is practically on the same level which absolutely isn’t the case.

There are lots of world class players but even within that “world class” label, there are tiers within it. Not everyone has to be CR7 or Neymar or Messi to be considered world class because it’s obvious the likes of Griezmann, Dybala, Lewandowski, Pogba, Kane, KDB, Suarez, etc (...the list goes on and on...) are also world class. Would those players end up like what we already have with players such as Martial, Rashford, Mata? Not in a million years. So to say such a thing is very far fetched imo.

Aniefiok

We need to stop hyping Rashford, he can have a good day and impress but he's not nearly as consistent enough to be a fixture in the first team.

Let's buy Dybala, buy a left footed left winger and play to swing in croses if we are hoping to use Lukaku for a long period.

Wish we got Perisic.

Cantonagotmehere

It's not a simple question of who we buy. Its more of who wants to come that is good enough to improve us. Most of the top talents seem to not want to come here and we pay the highest wages.
I don't get this. Money will talk even if the winning mentality is sadly missing.

Look at Pogba coming here for one.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If I had my way, i would not wait till the Summer.
I'd say f*** it, break the bank and sign Perisic in January, for the left. And on the right, bring in Mahrez.
These are 2 players who are at their physical peak so won't need much coaching. They should make instant impact and finally give us width, creativity and some quality crosses.
IMO, we need to bed in the players this season, so that next season, those new players can hit the ground running, so that we can win the title and not lose any ground.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's not a simple question of who we buy. Its more of who wants to come that is good enough to improve us. Most of the top talents seem to not want to come here and we pay the highest wages.
Perisic would definitely come. He wanted to come in the Summer.
And Mahrez was desperate to leave LCFC in the Summer. He'll definitely join us.

Ekeke

I disagree. Just look at Pogba.

It’s a case of United not cheaping out anymore and paying the price to acquire available players. It’s the only thing preventing us from getting those players. Reach the fee and clubs will accept, as we did with Juventus for Paul. As Liverpool did with VVD. As City have done for the players they’ve got. And as José has suggested being the case for us missing out and settling for lesser players.

Pogba is a special case because he felt he had unfinished business here. I'm sure we're considered an option when we go for the more expensive players, but other Premier League teams can and will be picked above us, let alone foreign teams with more sun.

Distracted Steward

While there are clear issues in the squad, the shortfall in the attack more comes from coaching than personnel. The patterns of play just aren't there. It's pretty much ad hoc going forward, and that's just not enough at this level. Plenty of times Mourinho got away with that in his career, but that hasn't happened for him in his time here--with the brief exception of the start of this season.

For me, he needs to bring in a Rene Meulensteen type of assistant. Famously, Ferguson always assembled staffs to offset his weaknesses. Mourinho isn't doing this, and it shows. Until the team is well drilled on how to go forward together, they're going to keep coming up short against organized Premier League defenses. Right now, the attack is less than the some of it's parts. It doesn't come together well. It's underwhelming and down to management/coaching.

The best person Mourinho could bring in to help the attack is the right coach, not a world class player.

Ash_G

While there are clear issues in the squad, the shortfall in the attack more comes from coaching than personnel. The patterns of play just aren't there. It's pretty much ad hoc going forward, and that's just not enough at this level. Plenty of times Mourinho got away with that in his career, but that hasn't happened for him in his time here--with the brief exception of the start of this season.

For me, he needs to bring in a Rene Meulensteen type of assistant. Famously, Ferguson always assembled staffs to offset his weaknesses. Mourinho isn't doing this, and it shows. Until the team is well drilled on how to go forward together, they're going to keep coming up short against organized Premier League defenses. Right now, the attack is less than the some of it's parts. It doesn't come together well. It's underwhelming and down to management/coaching.

The best person Mourinho could bring in to help the attack is the right coach, not a world class player.
Agreed, feels like we just rely on individual talent rather that a clear game plan geared to get the best out of what we actually have.

Bwuk

Don’t think we should be buying a #10.

A controlling midfielder, someone to dictate the game.

A right sided forward.

Two full backs.

Move to 433.

Devil may care

Don’t think we should be buying a #10.

A controlling midfielder, someone to dictate the game.

A right sided forward.

Two full backs.

Move to 433.
I agree, but it will likely be 2019 before we get the RB as I imagine we'll use Valencia and Young rotating there next season.

Theonas

Scout
I disagree. You’re basically saying after CR7/Neymar/Messi, everyone else is practically on the same level which absolutely isn’t the case.

There are lots of world class players but even within that “world class” label, there are tiers within it. Not everyone has to be CR7 or Neymar or Messi to be considered world class because it’s obvious the likes of Griezmann, Dybala, Lewandowski, Pogba, Kane, KDB, Suarez, etc (...the list goes on and on...) are also world class. Would those players end up like what we already have with players such as Martial, Rashford, Mata? Not in a million years. So to say such a thing is very far fetched imo.
I actually think all the players you mentioned are world class. I am not going to get involved in semantics because to me Messi is not world class, he is something else entirely. But as I said, that's semantics. My argument is that the level after that is not all the same, but that the difference between them is more about profile and ability to fit in into a system and or a tactic. The likes of Pogba or let's say Verratti are both brilliant players in my book but not so brilliant that they can't look average in the wrong setup, formation, tactic and what have you. When I mention someone like Messi, I mean that they are less dependent on such things and can elevate your team almost single handedly, that's a very tiny small category of players though.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
I actually think all the players you mentioned are world class. I am not going to get involved in semantics because to me Messi is not world class, he is something else entirely. But as I said, that's semantics. My argument is that the level after that is not all the same, but that the difference between them is more about profile and ability to fit in into a system and or a tactic. The likes of Pogba or let's say Verratti are both brilliant players in my book but not so brilliant that they can't look average in the wrong setup, formation, tactic and what have you. When I mention someone like Messi, I mean that they are less dependent on such things and can elevate your team almost single handedly, that's a very tiny small category of players though.
Ah I see what you mean. However, I still think if we were able to get a Griezmann or a Dybala it’d be worth it and they’d gravitate others around them to up their games naturally due to their talents.

Thing with Pogba is he just can’t be the lone wolf at United and carry the team. He can’t do that. However, surround him with another world class attack minded player and he’ll start clicking, having someone on his level to make the most of what he brings to the table. As it stands right now, he doesn’t have that on United but it’s clear as day when playing on France his talents are utilized by having such players to work with and vice versa.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I've said it before, but It's not just about who we buy. Our problems run deeper than that in my opinion.

Our attack do not seem to be; in-sync / on the same wavelength / aware of what the feck they're doing, and it all seems a bit disjointed.

Adding a new player in to the mix isn't likely going to be an instant fix. Our coaching and training needs serious work.

Saying that, we do need an extra player or two. No idea who to go for really, but I hope we buy sensibly and look for players that are the right fit, rather than simply a blockbuster name e.g. Bale.