Who was worse - Rangnick or Ole?

Who was worse - Ragnick or Ole?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scholsey2004

Ragnick was worse but at least theres the knowledge that he's going to be grassing up all the fakers in the squad to ETH.

Jericholyte2

Ralf, but entirely Ole’s fault.

For comparison: unemployment under Trump (pre-Covid) was better than under Obama, because the improvements under Obama continued under Trump. Trump was not the reason for the increase, he just didn’t change anything.

Likewise, Ralf failed to stop the slump, but far too much damage had already been done.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I voted Ralf, but it's a hard one.

Rangnick didn't really have a hope of doing anything to be fair. Ole had left him with a majorly broken squad with lots of unhappy players and huge inflated egos. I'm pretty sure the club were never going to support him in the transfer window either, especially knowing we'd have someone new coming in soon. It was mission impossible for him

AndySmith1990

Both terrible. Thankfully one of them was only temporary, but why the hell we gave a rookie from Molde 3 years to learn on the job is beyond me.

Redfrog

Now that clusterfeck of a season is over, I think we can properly judge the two. Both were absolute shite but who was worse?
We can’t judge them in the same manner. Rangnick inherited a broken team who wasn’t his. But even then, I don’t think he was up to it.

Ole did well.

Rangnick was incredibly bad.
Did he feck.

Ole was horrendous, utter shite, and as expected since day one, set us back years and hundreds of millions of pounds.

Ragnick was incredibly even worse, absolutely horrendous interim spell. He didn’t get a single player of his own mind, but still, complete crap.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Recency bias will swing the poll.

This should have been done next month.

SER19

Rangnick didn't get to manage United. He got to manage a toxic mess of ego who had packed it in and got even worse when he called them out. I'll find it hard to ever respect all but a handful of them

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Ralf is a bit crap as a coach, but Ole is the reason the squad is in this state in the first place. So much for the famed "cultural reboot".

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
This season? Ole. It's not even close.

Ole
12 matches
5 wins, 2 draws, 5 losses = average of 1.42 points per game.
18 scored, 21 conceded.

Rangnick
24 matches
10 wins, 7 draws, 7 losses = average of 1.54 points per game.
33 scored, 33 conceded.

All while this was the team that Ole has built and trained over the last three years. Rangnick had a terrible last two months of the season, but before that he'd helped get us back into a decent position. He's also had to deal with a far worse injury crisis than Ole had. I realised during this match that of the five attackers that at the start of the season we would have expected to play most of the games, for one reason or another none of them were available for this match (or most of the last month or so). Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Martial. Add Cavani also barely being fit in the second half of the season, Pogba being out, Fred being injured for a while, Shaw missing almost the entire second half of the season, Maguire, Lindelof and especially Varane all picking up injuries and constantly being in and out of the team. He's had a shit squad of players with an obviously broken dressing room, then had huge portions of the players out on top of that.

Ole had a relatively clean bill of health, with a team of players that he largely built and trained over the last three years. Yet he still managed to do worse.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
Rangnick is the first and hopefully only manger to leave me feeling apathetic about the club. During Rangnick's time in charge, United games became an obligation rather than a delight during the week.

AgentSmith

Ole was the surgeon who sliced us open, made misguided slash after slash, leaving us on life support in our hospital room.

Ralf was the on the brink of retirement nurse who came along to change our bandages, tripped on a wire and pulled our life support out through pure accidental incompetence.

I blame the Dean of Medicine for employing either.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If you talk about this season, then both were equally bad. But if you wanna take whole of Ole's tenure then I don't see how anyone can say with a straight face that Ralf wasn't worse. Under Ole we were "Moments FC" but we weren't even that under Ralf. Yes our squad sucks but he managed to get all of them to turn on him in less than 6 months, something even Jose couldn't achieve.

He has proven himself a competent DoF and I hope he stays associated with us in a comparable role, but as a manager he is easily the worst we've had post SAF. Just knew one way of playing and once it became clear our players weren't up to that style physically he had absolutely no clue.

I can point to actual really good big game performances ( not only results but performance) under Ole (PSG, Spurs and City away last season, Roma home, Chelsea and Arsenal in the Cup in his interim tenure, Chelsea and City away in his 2nd season, among others) but can't point to a single one under Ralf. The best result we got under him was 3-2 over Spurs but I wouldn't call it a great performance.

I know people on here have absolutely decided to blame Ole for everything, but once you set that bias aside, I can't see by what metric Ralf was better.

Red_toad

Ralf‘s saving grace, he signed no one and hasn’t lumbered the next manager with issues they need to resolve. Ole was a disaster this season as was Ralf.

Chairman Steve

While Ralf had worse results, I do think he had the awareness to know this squad was ultimately shit.

Whilst I think Ole genuinely thought this squad that he built was good enough to win things. McFred as central midfield? AWB as starting fullback? Maguire as a centre back in a high line? :houllier:

VP

Ole had a far bigger role in the mess we're in so it's quite obviously him

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us

Ole
12 matches
18 scored, 21 conceded.

Rangnick
24 matches
33 scored, 33 conceded.

All while this was the team that Ole has built and trained over the last three years. Rangnick had a terrible last two months of the season, but before that he'd helped get us back into a decent position. He's also had to deal with a far worse injury crisis than Ole had. I realised during this match that of the five attackers that at the start of the season we would have expected to play most of the games, for one reason or another none of them were available for this match (or most of the last month or so). Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Martial. Add Cavani also barely being fit in the second half of the season, Pogba being out, Fred being injured for a while, Shaw missing almost the entire second half of the season, Maguire, Lindelof and especially Varane all picking up injuries and constantly being in and out of the team. He's had a shit squad of players with an obviously broken dressing room, then had huge portions of the players out on top of that.

Ole had a relatively clean bill of health, with a team of players that he largely built and trained over the last three years. Yet he still managed to do worse.
The Rangnick is terrible "brigade" will conveniently ignore all of that though. Apparently he can't coach and it's all his fault he's being ignored by our shower of cnuts of players that I hate more than anything right at this moment, thank you good bye.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This team is ole's team.
This team was coached by ole for 3 seasons.
Ole spent hundreds of millions on this team.
Rangnick inherited ole's team mid season.
Rangnick inherited an uncoached, disjointed team with cliques.
Rangnick was not backed in the transfer window.
Rangnick also had greenwood being sent to jail and cavani injured with only a 37 yr old ronaldo as our forward
But somehow rangnick is more at fault than ole ? Feck off!

Varane around town

Rangnick was worse.

Making him first team manager was like appointing an impressive University Professor to take charge of a unruly Y8 class.

There's no getting away from the fact that Ole had to go and single biggest factor in f*cking up this season was not replacing Ole after the Europa League final.

Tavern in the town

It’s like asking which of two shits smells better. At the end of the day it’s still shit, and it still fecking stinks.

Kopral Jono

This thread...which compares a manager who was give half a billion and three years with an interim manager who had to deal with the most toxic dressing room since SAF left and most turd-filled squad since SAF left and who was also not allowed to sign any forward in January.
This.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This team is ole's team.
Rangnick also had greenwood being sent to jail and cavani injured with only a 37 yr old ronaldo as our forward
I'm not saying you are not right in some aspects but it also depends on the POV of our whole situation.
Ole, as bad as it was, still managed a 3rd and 2nd place, an EL final and some other semifinals. Would you see Rangnick achieving that no matter what support, time and money he got ?
When you have a mediocre manager followed by a terrible one, right one after the other that's what you get, what we have now.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
If you take away the last 4 matches for Ole he has been our best manager since SAF. Understand, he had to go because it was obvious he lost the the players this season. However, Ole at least had the players for a couple of years, I don't think RR ever earned respect from the players and it showed.

Given RR abysmal record I don't see how he can be an effective consultant. Who in the organisation would want to listen someone who was a complete failure as a manager?

Really, hiring RR is just another poor decision by the MU leadership along with all the other poor decisions in the past 10+ years. I'll go into the season with hope with the new manager, but it will be tempered in reality.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Ole was the surgeon who sliced us open, made misguided slash after slash, leaving us on life support in our hospital room.

Ralf was the on the brink of retirement nurse who came along to change our bandages, tripped on a wire and pulled our life support out through pure accidental incompetence.

I blame the Dean of Medicine for employing either.
:lol:

AndySmith1990

If you take away the last 4 matches for Ole he has been our best manager since SAF. Understand, he had to go because it was obvious he lost the the players this season. However, Ole at least had the players for a couple of years, I don't think RR ever earned respect from the players and it showed.

Given RR abysmal record I don't see how he can be an effective consultant. Who in the organisation would want to listen someone who was a complete failure as a manager?

Really, hiring RR is just another poor decision by the MU leadership along with all the other poor decisions in the past 10+ years. I'll go into the season with hope with the new manager, but it will be tempered in reality.
No he hasn't. There are two other managers who actually won trophies here

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Rangnick didn't get to manage United. He got to manage a toxic mess of ego who had packed it in and got even worse when he called them out. I'll find it hard to ever respect all but a handful of them
I feel the same. Those toxic players quickly decided they were going to down tools and after that, he did not stand a chance.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This thread...which compares a manager who was give half a billion and three years with an interim manager who had to deal with the most toxic dressing room since SAF left and most turd-filled squad since SAF left and who was also not allowed to sign any forward in January.
You expect too much.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Ole
12 matches
18 scored, 21 conceded.

Rangnick
24 matches
33 scored, 33 conceded.
Ralf played twice against Brighton, Palace, Brentford, Burnley and Norwich. Two relegated teams.

Try again.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I feel the same. Those toxic players quickly decided they were going to down tools and after that, he did not stand a chance.
Just have a look at ddg's comments to see how toxic the dressing is.

Eplel

There is a guy who create a massive pile of crap in 3 years, and a guy who didn't manage to clean it up in 6 months.

I guess the first one is worse.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This team is ole's team.
Funny how Ole inherited the exact same scenario when he took over from Mourinho and did things RR could only dream of

It'll also be funny when ETH shows things aren't as bad as RR have had his disciples would have people believe

Teja

All Ralf did was air out the dirty laundry in public. He was just completely out of his depth trying to manage the dressing room with so many egos and his public comments didn't help at all.

It doesn't matter if you're the world's greatest tactician if no-one listens to you or takes you seriously.