Who was worse - Rangnick or Ole?

Who was worse - Ragnick or Ole?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BaneIsPain

Full-time manager vs interim. It doesn't sound like a fair fight.
I'll go for the overall impact by ole.
Rangnick doesn't seem able to bring motivation to the players but he did well in exposing how toxic the dressing room.
Tbf, I always felt rangnick reign is irrelevant result wise.

Firstouch20

Ralf might be in contention as the worse manager in premier league history. At least with Ole there were spells where the team had genuine belief and showed desire to win and were capable of stringing wins together. Ralfs team was devoid of every type of ingredient a team requires to perform at the highest level. No belief, no heart, no fight, zero tactical nous, shape and IQ. What also made him so bad was something that fans strangely gave him credit for and that was his mindless honesty and i call it mindless because he created an environment where the trust between himself and players must have been completely eroded because you cant really give your honest views and be open to a guy with a track record of blurting out private matters to the media. Without trust how can you have any sort of desire to give everything for your manager? A manager is suppose to protect the dressing room but he put all of the dirty laundry on display for everyone to see, maybe to try and deflect attention away from his own incompetence as a manager. Usually when a new manager comes in there's atleast some kind of honeymoon period but he was a disaster from day one.

Last edited:

Kurton

Is fergie to blame for Moyes 7th place. Seems like same situation. Did fergie leave a rot that it was impossible for Moyes to operate under. Or is Moyes responsible for results that took a squad that was better than 7th to 7th.
:lol: comparing a manager who started from the start of the season and failed to one who started in the middle with major issues, way to go

el3mel

So you were dead against all of those signings when we made them?? Why are you still vexed? The fecker's history now. Are you upset he's not with us next season?
Pretty much all his signings had question marks over them when we signed them.

And by your logic, people should stop blaming Mourinho for his signings. Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku..all were approved by fans and over hyped when we signed them.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Pretty much all his signings had question marks over them when we signed them.

And by your logic, people should stop blaming Mourinho for his signings. Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku..all were approved by fans and over hyped when we signed them.
No, by your logic we should blame Mourinho for Ole's failings and you never answered my question, but never mind. Time to move on.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Solskjaer's problem is we kept him a season too long, I still think his reign would've been viewed as an overall success had we parted ways amicably after the Europa League final and then got in a better coach in preparation for this season.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Solskjaer's problem is we kept him a season too long, I still think his reign would've been viewed as an overall success had we parted ways amicably after the Europa League final and then got in a better coach in preparation for this season.
That's a great way to run a club. Fire the manager who improved from 3rd to 2nd and got to a final. I guess if ten Hag comes in 4th and makes the final of the FA we should thank him and find someone else.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Since Athletico, Ralf's stint has been absolutely dreadful. There's no getting away from it. Nevertheless, you really can't compare to Ole who a) had the permanent role and the authority to sign players and impose his will on the team, b) spent £400m and c) did this over 3 seasons d) ability to get near to his first choice coaching set up etc. It's just a non-comparison. Ralf's recent form with the team is just appalling though and he can't escape from being the one in charge of the most pitiful run of performances I think i've ever seen from us, including all of Ole's worst runs.

el3mel

No, by your logic we should blame Mourinho for Ole's failings and you never answered my question, but never mind. Time to move on.
Mourinho was already blamed for that here multiple times, and LVG was blamed for Mourinho's poor performance during Mourinho's first season as well, but no, we shouldn't blame Ole for Ralf's failing, because God knows why.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Who cares. It's not important. And it's nonsense to compare them in such simplistic terms.

Ole had a lot of time to work, he wasn't actually terrible at all considering what a moronic hiring he was, but ultimately, as everyone in world football could have guessed, still not good enough for the expectations a club like United should have.
Rangnick's spell was very unfortunate and unsuccessful but that carries little significance as it was short and always only meant as interim.

Time to look forward. Clean slate, unite behind the new team, look forward.

Last edited:

AltiUn

That's a great way to run a club. Fire the manager who improved from 3rd to 2nd and got to a final. I guess if ten Hag comes in 4th and makes the final of the FA we should thank him and find someone else.
A ruthless club would’ve known that he wasn’t up to the job and sacked him. Easy to forget, he was only in that tournament in the first place because he cocked up the Champions League which should've been a sackable offence in its own right. He had a miles better team than Villareal and he choked it. It was clear he wasn't going to win anything with us, I get the club might have felt he'd earned the right to a 3rd season but it was ultimately the wrong decision. Real Madrid would've sacked him the second he dropped out of the CL.

el3mel

You mean losing Europe League final after getting KOed from CL group and finishing 2 seasons in a row trophyless ?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
A ruthless club would’ve known that he wasn’t up to the job and sacked him. Easy to forget, he was only in that tournament in the first place because he cocked up the Champions League which should've been a sackable offence in its own right. He had a miles better team than Villareal and he choked it. It was clear he wasn't going to win anything with us, I get the club might have felt he'd earned the right to a 3rd season but it was ultimately the wrong decision. Real Madrid would've sacked him the second he dropped out of the CL.
The truth is that a properly run top club would have never appointed him in the first place, so it's kind of moot to debate exactly when those same people should have sacked him.

AltiUn

The truth is that a properly run top club would have never appointed him in the first place, so it's kind of moot to debate exactly when those same people should have sacked him.
Yeah, that's very true. Was a hilarious experiment in hindsight, we even extended his contract at one point.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Yeah, that's very true. Was a hilarious experiment in hindsight, we even extended his contract at one point.
Well, he did better than anyone could have expected (from a coach with no business whatsoever managing an European top 10 club).

Raven

Easily Rangnick. Unless we're only considering this season, there's not even a conversation to be had on the matter.

OffThe Post

Ole. Set the club back years with his signings and management.

Rangnick was not any good by any means, but the tools he was given and the lack of support from the board played a part
We put in a decent performance in Ralf's first game against Palace at Old Trafford presssing and forcing the opposition into errors. After that it was all downhill again back to the Ole days. In saying that I do believe Ole would have managed to get us Champions League qualification albeit by the scruff of the neck. Just my opinion.............

city-puma

Since Athletico, Ralf's stint has been absolutely dreadful. There's no getting away from it. Nevertheless, you really can't compare to Ole who a) had the permanent role and the authority to sign players and impose his will on the team, b) spent £400m and c) did this over 3 seasons d) ability to get near to his first choice coaching set up etc. It's just a non-comparison. Ralf's recent form with the team is just appalling though and he can't escape from being the one in charge of the most pitiful run of performances I think i've ever seen from us, including all of Ole's worst runs.
It is an delusion to feel the downfall started after the athletic Madrid games. It’s from the beginning and has never been good. We were dreadful during the easy run. At that time, I felt his naive approach in the game is probably because he was new to EPL and therefore I hoped he learned quicker. But he never got it. He was simply not good enough as an interim manager.

lex talionis

I realize some may not understand the logic of being ruthless with an underperforming manager who did alright but not really all that great, but every one of us knew that Ole was not up to the job of taking United to the next step of winning the PL or even sustaining a credible run at the PL trophy.

As for who was "worse", there's no wrong answer but Ralf was handed a pile of steaming shit filled with players soon to be out of contract and was not allowed to buy in the one transfer window during his tenure. Ole had everything handed to him and cocked it up.

haru krentz

Rangnick was not any good by any means, but the tools he was given and the lack of support from the board played a part
are you telling me had we hired antonio conte instead we would be in this same predicament??? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I realize some may not understand the logic of being ruthless with an underperforming manager who did alright but not really all that great, but every one of us knew that Ole was not up to the job of taking United to the next step of winning the PL or even sustaining a credible run at the PL trophy.

As for who was "worse", there's no wrong answer but Ralf was handed a pile of steaming shit filled with players soon to be out of contract and was not allowed to buy in the one transfer window during his tenure. Ole had everything handed to him and cocked it up.
The cult is really strong here... :wenger:

RoyH1

I don't thing Rangnick ever had a chance. He was always a placeholder with no long term authority and the players never responded to that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ole built this cluster feck of a squad.

Mmm-Qatarian

In terms of this season (which is the only sensible way to make this comparison), it sort of feels like asking who was worse out of the arsonist who set the house on fire or the fireman who replaced all the water in his hose with petrol.

This season has been an absolute shambles almost from start to finish but if Rangnick can measurably improve the structure of the club and help lay the foundations for success under ten Hag in his role as a consultant then his abject stint as a manager will have been a price worth paying.

Telsim

Solskjaer spent 400 million euros and 3 years building the worst squad I have ever seen.

And before someone points out his vaunted second place - there is no trophy for second place. Just as there is no trophy for EL runner-up. He failed.

This isn't even a contest.

Bondi77

We finished 3rd and 2nd under Ole and played some decent stuff at times.
How is this even a thread for flecks sake!

Kopral Jono

Ole and quite comfortably so. His incompetence set us back years. Do people still remember how atrociously bad we were in the back end of the 2018/19 season?

TuzlaUnited

Ole.400 millions down the drain and not even one trophy to show. He failed twice to win EL with best squad in tournament.
Ralf was bad but at least did not spend any money.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Both were as positive or bad as each other, but the real underlying factor is Woodward the twat

b82REZ

The lauding of Ole's "achievements" really highlight our slide into mediocrity.

Both managers were shite, but the one that started the rot, spunked the best part of half a billion; but he also beat Pep a couple of times but came a distant second to him do he must have been great.

GazTheLegend

I took the time to vote Ralph but I think it's an unfair question.

Ralph did extremely poorly results wise, the players looked utterly demoralised the entire time he was here, and ultimately he failed in every competition.

And yet Solskjaers failures (refusal to address central midfield, keeping players that needed shifting immediately to stop the toxicity) were far worse, and the way he set up Vs Liverpool with Matic and Pogba there ultimately destroyed our entire season.

Ralph was brought in as a business style hatchet man and look at who has gone from the coaching and scouting depts. Even Woodward. That is where he will be judged. And he has at least left a platform Ten Hag can begin the groundwork with.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Both managers were shite, but the one that started the rot, spunked the best part of half a billion; but he also beat Pep a couple of times but came a distant second to him do he must have been great.
This is the problem with United fans, still to this day for some reason believe that it’s the managers who are the root to all evil. The rot was started by the Glazers when they took over and Woodward when Fergie retired. No one else.

Smores

We finished 3rd and 2nd under Ole and played some decent stuff at times.
How is this even a thread for flecks sake!
Because he had 3 seasons, spent a fortune and left us in this mess whilst winning feck all.

You can't judge one man on the platform of the sorry state left by their predecessor and then judge them based on their prior years. That wouldn't make sense for any club/sport/business

RR goes into the Moyes bucket for me, bad situations where they weren't good enough to address it. The long term ruiners are separate and Ole is the worse of that bunch.

R'hllor

Ole folk leveled up, before we had to hear only about 2nd place after JM, now they included 3rd place as well for Ole, guess when your guy won feck all, you dont have a choice.

Love the desperation, kicking as much as they can so Ole doesnt end up at the bottom in post SAF ladder, their only hope is that ETH and managers after do even more damage, tough task.

SirAF

Ageist
OGS was obviously worse - this is his squad after 3 years and millions and millions spent. Rangnick sucked big time, but he was always just going to be the substitute teacher.

b82REZ

This is the problem with United fans, still to this day for some reason believe that it’s the managers who are the root to all evil. The rot was started by the Glazers when they took over and Woodward when Fergie retired. No one else.
Give over.

I depise the Glazers as much as the next man, but they're as hands off as they come.

Ole allowed the dressing room situation to fester and grow throughout his tenure. He was more concerned with being pally with the players than enforcing any discipline.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
People always come up with "interim manager" and "he inherited a mess", ofcourse it's always a mess. That's the reason manager is sacked in the first place and interim is appointed.

Van Gaal left the mess to Jose, Jose left the mess to Ole and Ole to Rangnick.

When the manager is sacked, squad is always a mess because managers are sacked due to poor results.

stevoc

Lack of support. Feck me.

Rangnick is becoming another Moyes martyr like figure with a complex victim narrative being spun around him who people will make excuses for for years. Instead of just stating the fecking obvious. He tried his best but wasn't good enough and failed miserably it happens.

Lyng

Lack of support. Feck me.

Rangnick is becoming another Moyes martyr like figure with a complex victim narrative being spun around him who people will make excuses for for years. Instead of just stating the fecking obvious. He tried his best but wasn't good enough and failed miserably it happens.
Players downing tools. No signings in january despite clear issues.

Rangnick hasnt worked out, but he had all odds against him.

Ole has damaged us a great deal, both by his signings: Maguire, AwB and by being way to lenient with the players and not really coaching them.