Who was worse - Rangnick or Ole?

Who was worse - Ragnick or Ole?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

el3mel

Ole got second and third. Ralph got feck all. Not one player improved under him. How has he done better than Ole?
One managed us for 168 games. The other managed us for 29 games. The comparison is ridiculous from the start. The sample of games available for comparison isn't even enough.

Irwin99

Both were pretty terrible. Ralf had no idea how to work with this squad or implement the one playing style he's actually known for. Ole built the squad however that was only good for counter attacking football and left us in a terrible state after some 400 billion spent.

Only way is up from here.

AndySmith1990

Ole got second and third. Ralph got feck all. Not one player improved under him. How has he done better than Ole?
Solskjaer spent £400m and had 3 seasons, Ralf spent feck all and had 6 months. Neither are better, both have been a waste of time. This thread is as pointless as arguing over whose piss would taste better

R'hllor

There is no way you just mentioned league positions in 3 years (which means feck all specially when you include context behind it) as achievement to compare vs failed caretaker manager of 6 months. How he is done better? He didnt waste a dime on transfers like Ole, Jones type of contract extensions didnt happen during these 6 months, he didnt build this squad... actually in short, unlike Ole, he didnt send us in stone age after wasting 3 years of our lifes, he just failed his short interim period thats all.

Woodzy

This is Ole’s team and his mess left to clean up. Ralf hardly impressed but it’s unfair to judge based on half a season with players who have already decided they didn’t fancy it.

AlexiV

Supports
FCB
They were both shit but Ragnick left the bigger turd having achieved feck all and actually regressed us.

With Ten Hag we finnaly have a manager who can turn this shitstorm around with positive football and a clear philosophy.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
This is a pointless comparison because Ragnick’s role was only part about winning football games. The success of Ragnick’s appointment is in large part about what happens in the next 3 months.

Paul_Scholes18

Rangnick has been awful. Have we had a single good game under him?

I guess the Brentford and Spurs game are the only good ones I can think about.

It was mostly Ronaldo having a good day though.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
ole bought so many shit players for stupid sums of money. Wan Bissaka for 50m, Maguire 80m, Telles 20m, donny 35m, old man Cavani and Ronaldo etc. I think oles 3 years in charge has set us back by years

Ralph came in to steady a sinking ship and he didn't manage to do it because the players completely gave up on him. he was in a impossible position

Coy Keane

You can't really compare them. Ole was obviously better overall, but he also got almost 3 years and multiple transfer windows.

As an interim I have to say that Rangnick did a pretty poor job, though. I don't think I have a single good memory from his spell.

bleedred

Ole spent three years and half a billion to assemble possibly our worst squad in the PL ever.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Rangnick's tenure was like having to have your leg amputated and waking up to find they took the wrong one!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ole was worse, the board gave Rangnick no support then the players took the fecking piss.
This is a discussion that will reach no consensus, but at least we had a bunch of MUFC all time records under Ole (positive ones) in the league, as well as a bunch of very memorable nigths of football.

There was every reason to be extremely optimistic about things going into this season, especially when we started off with murdering Leeds. Everything since then has been a huge letdown and I blame the players first and foremost.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Why are you comparing the next 2 seasons of Ole to Ralf's interim period. Last I checked, Ralf only stayed for a half a season. He got to spend feck all while Ole got 2 windows to spend ton of money on the team.

Ole's first half of a season saw ending it with a disastrous run of 2 wins in 10 matches and finishing 6th, and similar to the 4-0 loss to Brighton, we also lost 4-0 to Everton. Same shambolic results.

Also, how old are you ? Try to grow up a little bit. I thought this forum is for adults ?
Yeah and look at the damage he has done in that time compared to Ole's first interim period. He couldn't even put a winning run together and he is officially the worst post-Fergie manager...fact! I don't get why you're so upset about a shit manager. You should be pleased that Wreck-It is history now.

united for life

Rangnick. he came wanting to gegenpress. No one gegenpressed and he was like feck it, let them do whatever they want. I’ll just talk shite about them in my interviews.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
In my opinion Ole’s 3 years have done such insane damage to UTD and Ralf couldn’t deal with it as the quality is just bang average.

King Eric 7

Don't think it's easy to compare the two. Rangnick came in with very few options in terms of coaching staff and recruitment of new players. He was also quite clearly an interim manager.

We've had some terrible results under Rangnick and I think there are several factors at play rather than just him being a poor manager. Both managers lacked world class coaches and I think Rangnick was much worse off in this respect.

CloneMC16

This is Ole's squad and it has utterly failed. He was supposed to have built a better foundation. That has clearly not been the case. Rangnick walked into complete shit and couldn't do anything about it. We were already doing very poorly under Ole and it continued under Rangnick.

jm99

Indeed, just terrible. 33 goals conceded in 24 games is some going.

Games24
Wins10
Draws7
Losses7
GF33
GA33
GD+0

N.B. PL Stats
But we conceded 57 goals all season which means Ole conceded 24 goals in just 14 games, isn't that worse?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Rangnick. he came wanting to gegenpress. No one gegenpressed and he was like feck it, let them do whatever they want. I’ll just talk shite about them in my interviews.
This reflects worse on the squad built by Ole than it does Rangnick.

el3mel

Yeah and look at the damage he has done in that time compared to Ole's first interim period. He couldn't even put a winning run together and he is officially the worst post-Fergie manager...fact! I don't get why you're so upset about a shit manager. You should be pleased that Wreck-It is history now.
What damage ? :lol: He produced shit results but he bought no players, sold no players, changed nothing in the squad he inherited. He managed us for 29 games, ffs.

The other one got to spend 400m and bought a bunch of awful signings, assembled a squad that won feck all over the last 3 years, and left us in need of a rebuild.

Again, grow up with these silly nick names.

united for life

This reflects worse on the squad built by Ole than it does Rangnick.
no it doesn’t. Not all managers build their squads for high pressing. My issue with Ralf is that he tried 4222, it failed miserably and nothing worked out after that. The team’s performances were so poor it was painful to watch

captaincantona

Or was he put in a position that was untenable....ie. they wouldn’t press, or buy into tactics, or put in any effort, because of the fuking stupid temporary manager/consultant agreement that was put in place. No one gave a shit what he said because they were all used to being hugged and kissed by Ole and didn’t like the cold truth of being called out. Look what happened to Mourinho when he called out some of our players?

So Ralf said, two can play at that game...if you are that unprofessional you can fuk yourself, I’ll tell the press and the board that you don’t follow basic instructions and that you want out and you can be replaced by players with better attitudes.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Both failed but Ralf was meant to be some sort of footballing guru and he clearly wasn’t. Terrible interim appointment

Wilt

Both managers were out of their depth…. but this squad is Ole’s squad.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
One managed us for 168 games. The other managed us for 29 games. The comparison is ridiculous from the start. The sample of games available for comparison isn't even enough.
Compare Ole's interim runs with RR's then? They both apparently inherited a toxic dressing room, difference being one got a tune out of the players until they burnt out whereas the other got the much fabled 30 minutes against Crystal Palace

Turkleton

Different flavours of crap. Ralf couldn't fix the mess but Ole made it and I think that's worse.

tomaldinho1

Ole hands down. Meandering for three years and letting players run the club, the fallout from which is so evident and, frankly, embarrassing. Ragnick is irrelevant - an interim hired for his DoF background - it’s been shocking season by all accounts but a necessary one to see real change implemented.

Thiagoal

We could have appointed a better interim that would have boosted the squad and (maybe) achieved top 4!

However, we all know that it would have been short lived before the players decide to down tools 6 months later!

At least Ralf has exposed the viruses in the camp and will hopefully allow us to move forward with a clean slate

Ole'sattheWheel

Ole every time - got it wrong from the start. Didn't buy a goal scorer, bought poor defenders, never affected games when it wasn't going right. Left RR with very little hope
Disagree with a few of these points (ignore my username I'm not biased honestly :angel:).

Didn't buy a goalscorer: Literally bought the best goalscorer of all time
Never affected games when it wasn't going right: How many comebacks did we have over his first 2 seasons?

Overall I'd say Ole was worse out of the 2, only because Rangnick didn't have long enough to screw it up even more. At least Ole's first 6 months earned him a new contract. Rangnick's first 6 months haven't really changed anything in the slightest

united for life

Or was he put in a position that was untenable....ie. they wouldn’t press, or buy into tactics, or put in any effort, because of the fuking stupid temporary manager/consultant agreement that was put in place. No one gave a shit what he said because they were all used to being hugged and kissed by Ole and didn’t like the cold truth of being called out. Look what happened to Mourinho when he called out some of our players?

So Ralf said, two can play at that game...if you are that unprofessional you can fuk yourself, I’ll tell the press and the board that you don’t follow basic instructions and that you want out and you can be replaced by players with better attitudes.
i put the blame on players as well for sure. They massively underperformed. But I can not let go of the fact that Ralf wanted to implement an impossible system at united when he first joined. 4222? What was that? No one knew what they were doing, players were running like headless chicken. You can’t just come in and implement a theory without looking at the tools. Wouldn’t say the players weren’t listening, you’ll get 2-3 players who might do that; but the squad under him got so dysfunctional it became a joke

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What damage ? :lol: He produced shit results but he bought no players, sold no players, changed nothing in the squad he inherited. He managed us for 29 games, ffs.

The other one got to spend 400m and bought a bunch of awful signings, assembled a squad that won feck all over the last 3 years, and left us in need of a rebuild.

Again, grow up with these silly nick names.
Unless you can say hand on heart that you weren't gassed when we got Cavani, Sancho, Bruno, Ronaldo and Varane etc., you're chatting shit. It's easy to slander when the horse has bolted but most fans were optimistic when we got these players through the door. The Pogba and Sanchez transfer threads were mental.

So get over yourself and stop moving the goalposts. And he will always be Wreck-It because it is absolutely appropriate.

Hawks2008

Ralf was crap but Ole set us back years. Ralf may have done the same with time but Ole has caused too much damage to the club .

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Both managers were out of their depth…. but this squad is Ole’s squad.
What about what he did with Mourinho's squad? Enough to secure a 3-year deal. The board wouldn't give Wreck-It three weeks, let alone three years based on his shitshow of a tenure.

el3mel

Unless you can say hand on heart that you weren't gassed when we got Cavani, Sancho, Bruno, Ronaldo and Varane etc., you're chatting shit. It's easy to slander when the horse has bolted but most fans were optimistic when we got these players through the door. The Pogba and Sanchez transfer threads were mental.

So get over yourself and stop moving the goalposts. And he will always be Wreck-It because it is absolutely appropriate.
He spent 130m on Maguire and AWB, whom weren't worth the kind of money back then and even during their first season had doubts all over their abilities and mixed opinions by the fans since day one.

He signed Cavani and Ronaldo, two +34 years old strikers who were clearly short term signings that were going to leave in 1-2 years max. Hardly got them in their prime. Similar to Ighalo's deal who was only a short term plan.

He signed Varane, a player who has been on decline for some time now and had problems with injuries, and now we're stuck with him.

He signed Sancho...whom he threw on the bench and was about ruin his career completely and the lad only started to play regularly under Ralf. Embarrassing to mention him as someone worthy to praise Ole for.

That's not to mention his other shit signings like Telles, James, VDB..etc.

3.5 years and 2 windows with 400m spent and the only player whom he signed and can actually be considered a success is Bruno and even this one has been absolute shit this season.

That's the team Ole's built and left us with.

Apart from Sancho (who was thrown on the bench since day one by Ole as I mentioned), none of the players he signed were as good or in their prime as Pogba when we signed him.

There's no hindsight about this. These were the state of the players we signed.

Now, what damage did an interim manager who managed us for 29 games do ?