Who was worse - Rangnick or Ole?

Who was worse - Ragnick or Ole?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Revan

Assumptionman
Ole. Massive long-term consequences and spent half a billion to buy more deadwood and garbage players.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Ragnick will rightfully go down as our worst manager in modern history.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He spent 130m on Maguire and AWB, whom weren't worth the kind of money back then and even during their first season had doubts all over their abilities and mixed opinions by the fans since day one.

He signed Cavani and Ronaldo, two +34 years old strikers who were clearly short term signings that were going to leave in 1-2 years max. Hardly got them in their prime. Similar to Ighalo's deal who was only a short term plan.

He signed Varane, a player who has been on decline for some time now and had problems with injuries, and now we're stuck with him.

He signed Sancho...whom he threw on the bench and was about ruin his career completely and the lad only started to play regularly under Ralf. Embarrassing to mention him as someone worthy to praise Ole for.

That's not to mention his other shit signings like Telles, James, VDB..etc.

3.5 years and 2 windows with 400m spent and the only player whom he signed and can actually be considered a success is Bruno and even this one has been absolute shit this season.

That's the team Ole's built and left us with.

Apart from Sancho (who was thrown on the bench since day one by Ole as I mentioned), none of the players he signed were as good or in their prime as Pogba when we signed him.

There's no hindsight about this. These were the state of the players we signed.

Now, what damage did an interim manager who managed us for 29 games do ?
So you were dead against all of those signings when we made them?? Why are you still vexed? The fecker's history now. Are you upset he's not with us next season?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
We went from 29 away games unbeaten under one manager to 6 consecutive away losses under the other.

Delano

Ultimately, Ralf couldn't clean up Ole's mess. I honestly believe Ole's naivety about the CMs in our squad killed us in the end.

Trequarista10

Rangnick was obviously worse.

Ole was tactically inept and far off the coaching standards required at the top level, but he clearly had the support of most of the squad and could galvanise some remarkable second half comebacks.

Tactics and detailed coaching are one hallmark of great managers, but man management and leadership will always be more important. You could have the best tactical masterplan known to man, but if your players don't like you and down tools you won't win anything.

Orange Tree

Rangnick is an intern. He couldn't get the staff he wanted and no signings. Hard to judge him properly, but based on our games, he has been a disaster.

Quinze

Ole has been far more damaging to the club. We were never getting top 4 the way we were playing anyway.

Eddy_JukeZ

Accidentally voted for Ralf.

Both terrible.

I think Ole's reign set us back a lot.

It was all a bunch of nothing.

ExoduS

Ole is Pep+Klopp compared to Rangnick. I've never seen a more clueless guy. I stopped wattching United totally, while I had some hope under Ole. Ultimately players sabotaged both.

Foxbatt

Ole was a manager for three years. Ralf was interim for 6 months. Never had any opportunities to sign or sell any players while Ole wasted a lot of money. Both have failed.

foolsgold

Ole. Massive long-term consequences and spent half a billion to buy more deadwood and garbage players.
This. with Ralf we knew it was a short term thing, he was given a hospital pass but he's called out the rot in the dressing room. The events on the pitch were dreadful but i think in the longer term we'll look back on it as a important period of change.

I don't think you can judge him as a manager that never signed a player or had a pre-season.

themanguydude

From purely footballing performance, Ralf is definitely worse.

But Ralf is exposing a lot of the cracks that Ole has been papering over.

Ole (or someone like Conte) could potentially salvage this season, suck up to some of the troublemakers and made us play better in the 2nd half of the season like how Ole always has, maybe even squeezing into top 4. But that's just papering over the crack, is that really what we need or want?

I don't think Ralf's time here can be consider even remotely successful, but we need this candidness to pave way for the next manager. Ten Hag now knows who are the culprits he needs to get rid of. No more papering over the cracks, Ralf basically rip open the crack.

Ralf is not the manager we wanted, but Ralf is the manager we needed. We need this season to happen for Ten Hag to clear house.

Last edited:

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I think they were both equally bad. But...while RR had clear difficulties motivating the players, his outspokenness to call out mistakes from the team and highlight technical problems was imperative in setting forth the scope of work ETH had at hand. This season was always going to be a write-off

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Also the 29 game unbeaten run under Ole should be interpreted with a few caveats, one being COVID and the lack of crowds.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Excuse for everything is "Interim coach" :lol:. If that's the excuse for everything why did we even hire him. Carrick gave memorable performance in 3 games than Rangnick gave in 6 months.

SAFMUTD

Purely from a coach perspective Rangnick is way worse, he was so focused on showing the team deficiencies and problems that he just didn't care about performances. Last games were a total disgrace, the squad is broken and instead of trying to bring the moral up and fix some problems he exposed them instead. Which ultimately just made it way worse.

On the long run I think Rangnick's approach will help us as problems became way too evident , but let's not forget that his job was to get results and quality for top 4. We felt incredibly short and I get the impression he didn't care wether we make it to top 4 or not, he was more focused on exposing our problems rather than fixing them.

Ole on the other side had a better squad harmony but was a time bomb, he hurt us a lot wasting time and money on poor players, ultimately leaving us with a shit overpaid squad of entitled over hyped weak mentality players.

Tallis

The same group of players that Ragnick guided to 6th place finished 2nd under Ole. I watched most of our matches under Ole even if we didn’t get a result - there was some fight in the team. The teams that RR put out were the most uncommitted teams without any fight that I have seen and I couldn’t stand to watch in many cases

AFC NimbleThumb

It really is arguing the difference between a turd & a crap. Both played their roles in this season’s failures.

babablue

Ole might not have been good enough, but can we stop insulting him by calling him shite? We'll probably have continued being trophyless under him, but I firmly believe we would have got 4th with him. The spirit and togetherness the team showed the last 2 years cannot just have disappeared because of a rough few weeks.

haru krentz

Anyone who voted Ole might want to answer this simply question: "Had we instead hired Antonio Conte, where do you think we will finish at the end of this season?"
come on dont chickened out.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
OGS is the worst manager we have had since SAF. No manager left the club in a worse state. Winning mentality destroyed, millions down the drain, no real squad culling done, entire discipline inside dressing room gone, players on a perma holiday mode, zero tactics and training, the players being at the worst fitness levels and zero trophies to show for. But yes blame the interim manager who was not given an iota of control by the board.

haru krentz

He spent 130m on Maguire and AWB, whom weren't worth the kind of money back then and even during their first season had doubts all over their abilities and mixed opinions by the fans since day one.

He signed Cavani and Ronaldo, two +34 years old strikers who were clearly short term signings that were going to leave in 1-2 years max. Hardly got them in their prime. Similar to Ighalo's deal who was only a short term plan.

He signed Varane, a player who has been on decline for some time now and had problems with injuries, and now we're stuck with him.

He signed Sancho...whom he threw on the bench and was about ruin his career completely and the lad only started to play regularly under Ralf. Embarrassing to mention him as someone worthy to praise Ole for.

That's not to mention his other shit signings like Telles, James, VDB..etc.

3.5 years and 2 windows with 400m spent and the only player whom he signed and can actually be considered a success is Bruno and even this one has been absolute shit this season.

That's the team Ole's built and left us with.

Apart from Sancho (who was thrown on the bench since day one by Ole as I mentioned), none of the players he signed were as good or in their prime as Pogba when we signed him.

There's no hindsight about this. These were the state of the players we signed.

Now, what damage did an interim manager who managed us for 29 games do ?
Elite manager like Conte will make Maguire work. RR was more busy finding excuse and blaming everyone else instead.

OGS is the worst manager we have had since SAF. No manager left the club in a worse state. Winning mentality destroyed, millions down the drain, no real squad culling done, entire discipline inside dressing room gone, players on a perma holiday mode, zero tactics and training, the players being at the worst fitness levels and zero trophies to show for. But yes blame the interim manager who was not given an iota of control by the board.
easy to forgot how awful the situation was when Jose left us. Also RR took over from Carrick with the latter unbeaten against Chelsea and Arsenal and got us qualified to CL knock out stage. Heres simple questions for you:
1. Why didnt we experience new manager bound with RR at all?
2. Where do you think we will finish had we hired Conte instead?

Foxbatt

The same group of players that Rangnick guided to 6th place finished 2nd under Ole. I watched most of our matches under Ole even if we didn’t get a result - there was some fight in the team. The teams that RR put out were the most uncommitted teams without any fight that I have seen and I couldn’t stand to watch in many cases
Didn't Ole finish 7th after Jose finished 2nd too with the same team? This rewriting of history should stop.
Ralf can't be judged on his 6 months without any new players. Everyone knew he was only going to be here until the end of the season.

R'hllor

Like i said, you cant really compare them with a context behind them both but folk is so desperate for it because thats the only path for any chance of Ole not being marked as a manager who did most harm to United post SAF. What pains me is admitting that he even did more harm than that fecking classless cnut JM and thats some achievement.

Even with a forcing this comparison with recency bias, people having hard on for CL with zero care of our situation, you can pile all shit on failed interim manager, he still didnt do worse because his harmful impact cant even be compared with the damage Ole and his fecking wheel did in his 3 years tenure, the amount of shit he dumped on us that someone else needs to shovel out is something else.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
Totally agree the mere fact people are actually voting for Ralph is a joke. Ten haag will struggle next year of course he will. What are we going to do blame him and sack him after we lose a few? This right there is the reason why the glazers win. They’ll switch the blame to someone shiny and new and we’re too idiotic to remember what had gone before. I remind everyone that over 1 billion has been taken out of the club, want a ground like spurs? We could have already had one if we weren’t a farming system to these vulture owners of ours. They’re worried now because the milk has dried up and the super league failed and profits have plateaued. I’d take a yearin the championship I really would to get these out, the club needs ten new players and the stadium has fallen apart all under the glazers our training ground whilst ok isn’t up to other teams anymore either, and we’re getting left behind. We’re still trying to emulate what we did under Ferguson football like any sport moves on, and if you aren’t up to date with systems training and smart ways of doing things you get left behind which is what we’re seeing now.
Yes Ole is to blame but let’s not pretend that it is all his issue, I dread to think of what the club looks like behind the scenes. It’s mourinhos biggest achievement getting second with Man Utd. That should tell you everything you need to know right there.
Wholesale change not minor revamp only way of moving forward. Get football people in to make footballing decisions, problem with ole he was a yes man and masked the problems so much he eventually fell on his Sword. It still doesn’t taint the fact he’s an absolute legend in our club and scored the winner in 99 and is a hero of ours. Legend in every sense of the word as a player as a coach and a yes man sorry he should never have been appointed.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This. with Ralf we knew it was a short term thing, he was given a hospital pass but he's called out the rot in the dressing room. The events on the pitch were dreadful but i think in the longer term we'll look back on it as a important period of change.

I don't think you can judge him as a manager that never signed a player or had a pre-season.
Sure you can.

The guy is an “old manager” now and his honors are showing his ability as a manager.

Welbeckham

Ragnick. Ole made horrible signings and seemingly had no tactical impact but at least he occasionally got some decent results, mainly bottling things when it meant something, not every single week.

If Ole had just won one trophy (we should have obviously won that UEL final), he would top Van Gaal in this conversation, because his league form was much better during the honeymoon era and the early Bruno era.

We’ve had absolutely terrible signings during all post-SAF managerial eras. Obviously you can argue that a good manager would make these players better, but missing out on Van Dijk and Fabinho while signing Lindelöf and Matic is just pathetic. And there are plenty of similar examples. Big problem is also giving new contracts to everyone, when nobody deserves one. Get rid when you have the chance. Business logic does not work in football.

haru krentz

Didn't Ole finish 7th after Jose finished 2nd too with the same team? This rewriting of history should stop.
Ralf can't be judged on his 6 months without any new players. Everyone knew he was only going to be here until the end of the season.
The difference is that ole took over the team with 11 points deficit from top 4, meanwhile we only 2 points away from top 4 when RR took over. See the difference?

Micky Targaryen

I can't believe that we are comparing a shite manager against an interim manager who literally inherited all the shit from said shite manager.

How much did Ole spend vs Ralf's spend? How much time was afforded to Ole vs Ralf?

Some of you are even saying that at least our players liked Ole more. Big feckin whoop mate.

Seij

Ole.

Ralf had just about everything against him - incompetent board who refused any winter signings and fought to keep the likes to Lingard who added nothing but more discontent to the locker room, Greenwood the scumbag, Cavani who didn't want to be here and basically used us to warm up for his international games, Pogba who was completely checked out and injured for most of the time Ralf was managing, etc. A ton of mess left by his predecessor.

Most importantly, the squad who was used to Ole treating them with kid gloves to a point they complained about having to train until 5pm and not being allowed to go party in Dubai whenever they're injured, and knew that Ralf was only interim so undermined him.

None of this completely absolves him though. He was obviously out of depth and his regime completely fell apart toward the end. There is a reason he's never been a top coach at his age. It's easy to talk the talk. Ole was also very good at talking the talk ("United way, young squad, British, DNA, progress", etc.)

RopersReturn

Rangnick arrived with a footballing philosophy only to soon realise that our players simply weren’t capable of playing the high press system.
Ole achieved better results in the short term, but was failing with his poor signings and lengthy contract extension policies, probably to curry favour with the senior squad?
Overall I’d say Ole gets the vote for simply blowing the transfer budget, assembling the glorified championship squad we’re now stuck with.

Nickelodeon

Going by the Athletic articles, Ralf couldn’t get in any of his preferred staff due to Brexit regulations or his own interim status. The existing staff didn’t stay, he couldn’t get any signings in January even after the Greenwood situation and the toxicity of the dressing room is well defined.

Ralf, for me, can’t be judged properly. If anything, his stint should be judged with Ole’s first 6 months including the caretaker phase. While Ole’s had flashes of hope and some highs, both ended in the same situation. Trophyless and 6th.

Meanwhile the guy who spent half a billion and couldn’t get us close to competing for the title or any other trophy is a monumental failure. No point comparing his failure with another manager.

Kostov

Rangnick makes Ole look like Klopp. Absolute dog shit, I only like his straight forward talking and exposing the players, otherwise, the coaching, the tactics, subs everything else is absolute shocking.

padzilla

Hipster
The greatest trick our board ever pulled was making the fans focus on the failings of others.

goalscholes

Ole was a great interim manager who never should have got the job. He then started a gradual rot that has made the dressing room what it is today.

Ragnick was a much worse interim manager, but his spell will be far less damaging in the long run.