Who/what in your opinion is currently holding the club back?

UnitedFan93

The fanbase for giving up protesting/raising awareness of the Glazer ownership. The power is with the people; the problem is the fanbase isn't determined/collective enough to force change like the Scousers were with Hicks and Gillett. The likes of MUST need to do a lot more also.

RyRy11

The huge injection of money into the sport has ruined our financial advantage we gained during SAF’s tenure. Now that we do not have the financial might to bully teams into selling their best players for peanuts we can’t outspend to extent that we did before. 10/15 years ago you used to be able to spend £60m and get 4 decent players (maybe 2 first team, 2 squad) now £60 struggles to get you a first team centre back. It costs too much to overhaul a team in the current climate and the owners now won’t spend the initial overlay to do as such.

Strelok

Their owner is extremely intelligent/savvy - think literally the polar opposite of the Glazers in every way.

One of the pioneers of data-anaylitics in sports in American Baseball, for example. And by extension, very possibly a huge influence in the eventual usage of said methods in football.
I see, thanks for the info.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
So who are you leveling that at ? As you can leave ole out (as much as it may or may not kill you too) and there's no point including dozy Dave as he only got his boy from Everton, so these top players have all come under supposed top top managers and stagnated, like mata, rvp, Angel, Alexis, Fred to a degree but has improved a fair bit under Ole, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Depay, Martial, Lukaku.

Ole has gotten the players he got in playing well and even ones here who stagnate under the so called top top managers lvg and jose, like Martial, best case to use.

So that's two top managers and major winners that haven't being able to get the best out of "good players" with different coaching teams and styles, ever think it time to start look at these "good players" and the clowns ed and glaziers who gives them stupid high wages as the reason they "stagnate" ? Long term contract, wages you get no where else, where's the motivation coming from to improve or play at the level that got you here.
Who. The current coaching set up.
I am not talking about the past. Can't do anything about that.
But the current coaching team are in my opinion failing to:
Get the best out of the squad and individual players. What has happened to James, DDG, Pogba to name just a few.
Transform United into a high performing team. 66 points is hardly high performing.
Evolve the tactics before and during the game. What is our playing style? And why do we find it almost impossible to break teams down.
We are certainly not better than the sum of our parts.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Imo the Glazers.

Their ultimate objective is to make money, not silverwares nor beautiful football. With our super large fanbase they don't need any of those to make money anyway.

After they squeeze out the last drop they will just sell the club. It didn't cost them much in the first place anyway. I still remember they bought United for £790m but with £660m debt in the club name. So barely £130m was their money. How much United would cost now? At least £3bn I think.

Has any club with such owners win a big silverware? No I guess. And I don't think there'd ever be one.

P/s: I forgot we did win big silverwares under the Glazers. But imo it was because the sheer brilliance of SAF. And the market and football back then was very different. Plus someone like SAF, imo was a one time wonder and won't happen again. Especially in the current circumstances.
Which is the same for 99% of all clubs, across all sports, the only ones that it doesn't apply to; PSG, Chelsea, City et al, are all backed by dodgy money.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
SAF.

As much as we love the man, and he was a genius, he left is with a league winning squad that should never have and a new manager who... Well should never have

We have been playing catch up since

Ole has bought a bit of calm back and seems to have steadied the ship.

I do believe it was a 3 year plan hence Oles contract.

We have slowly git the players but will we get a new manager after Oles tenure or will it be Ole for the future?
I don't understand why fans insist that title winning side wasn't good. We blew City away that season and finished on our record points total. It was a good team but of course an aging side. There was definitely enough there to work with. Is it SAF's fault Woodward and Moyes fecked up the first summer?

SAF left Moyes with talented players to develop too. He bought Zaha in January for the next manager to work with and Moyes never gave him a chance.

Last edited:

Strelok

Which is the same for 99% of all clubs, across all sports, the only ones that it doesn't apply to; PSG, Chelsea, City et al, are all backed by dodgy money.
No imo not. Barca, Madrid, Juve, Bayern, ATM, Inter etc. their objective is silverwares.

I don't know about other sports but imo for most football clubs their main objective is football. They make money to pay for their projects, to aim for a higher place in the football world. Actually very few set money is their primary objective. Unfortunately we're one of those.

patty123

Who. The current coaching set up.
I am not talking about the past. Can't do anything about that.
But the current coaching team are in my opinion failing to:
Get the best out of the squad and individual players. What has happened to James, DDG, Pogba to name just a few.
Transform United into a high performing team. 66 points is hardly high performing.
Evolve the tactics before and during the game. What is our playing style? And why do we find it almost impossible to break teams down.
We are certainly not better than the sum of our parts.
True you can't change the past, but far so called better top managers have also failed with some/most of these players in the points you make out, so hence why I said its time too start looking at the players.

As for the players you mention, DDG decline started well before Ole came, look at his woeful performances leading up to and including 2018 wc, James, well look at when he was good, first month he was here, he was on fire, a time when most players are getting use to playing at a higher level, a month a bit later is when the decline in him started, when players are back up to standard, Pobga was not great either under serially winner Jose.

So again, begs the question, if two top winners like LVG and Jose couldn't do it and now to some, ole is not also able to, when are the attitude of the players going to be question or are we on a never ending policy of blame whoever the manager is ?

Last edited:

Slik

We have a big fan base, one of the biggest fan bases and you expect everyone to sing from the same sheet?

I have also seen Ole out trending on twitter alot of times, does that mean the board is going to be forced to sack him?

I have seen sign messi trending, does that mean we will sign him?

You do realise the board is meant to employ people to work on United and decisions are made there and not because twitter fans said so? Are you that naive into thinking that decisions are made from looking at twitter?

Sancho, it's because the club has shown interest in the player, Ole wants him, we all know he is the perfect fit on the right. Pressure or not he is 20 so there is re-sale value just like Pogba.

Did you see sign Dybala last season? No because the club had said no, this is not happening.

Our fan base is toxic if you think all twitter fans are United fans. That is only a portion of fans.
If you think the pressures the fans put on the club online does not influence decisions then you must be even more naive.

clarkydaz

The fanbase for giving up protesting/raising awareness of the Glazer ownership. The power is with the people; the problem is the fanbase isn't determined/collective enough to force change like the Scousers were with Hicks and Gillett. The likes of MUST need to do a lot more also.
i agree, the fanbase is too broad and divided. it was reaching feverpitch earlier this year when Woodward was getting stick, as soon as we signed Bruno it completely disappeared. Then you see fan channels saying Glazers out while wearing the latest utd shirt

FatherWolff

Toxic online fandom.
Disagree. They are in a small minority and being vocal on the CAF, Reddit and Twitter. They are not important. Right now, it is 100% the Glazers! We are being parked with indecisive ignorance. And the only one who is going to pay is Ole. And the Club.

Mark Pawelek

Wrong strategy.

Glazers strategy is to stay in the top 4 so we qualify for champions league. They only spend significant transfer money when United drop out of the top 4. When United finish in top 4 position they will save funds to pay dividends or pay off debt. All the time they give fans the impression that loads of players are about to sign or that signings were just missed. Given this strategy, United will not get to the top again only targeting top players like Jadon Sancho. We need a director of football to plan and manage player resources for the very long term (5 years). Glazers don't really know what they're doing.

A) One approach United could take could be to turn the club into a loan warehouse, like Chelsea are and City and Liverpool seem intent on becoming. But this is not the only approach we could take.
B) We could also target top world youth and play them like Dortmund. But instead of selling them when they reach top level we'd keep them. Having said that, selling Dembele was surely a wise move by Dortmund.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The decision makers at the club, they got it wrong in the first place from SAF's successor, allowing SAF to pick his successor. No other club does that even when replacing a legend. A lot of that was down to not having football people involved in running the club. Would Bayern have allowed their previous manager to pick David Moyes. No chance.

Mark Pawelek

The decision makers at the club, they got it wrong in the first place from SAF's successor, allowing SAF to pick his successor. No other club does that even when replacing a legend. A lot of that was down to not having football people involved in running the club. Would Bayern have allowed their previous manager to pick David Moyes. No chance.
If Glazers replaced Woody with CEO who understood football, like VDS at Ajax, could this be fixed? Maybe split the CEO job between football and commercial side giving VDS responsibility for running football side of things, and Woody keeping his banking expertise for commercial contracts & debt management. Woody could set things like budget for player & technical staff salaries & fees. VDS would spend the money and run a transfer kitty pot which Woody wouldn't be able to steal from.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If Glazers replaced Woody with CEO who understood football, like VDS at Ajax, could this be fixed? Maybe split the CEO job between football and commercial side giving VDS responsibility for running football side of things, and Woody keeping his banking expertise for commercial contracts & debt management. Woody could set things like budget for player & technical staff salaries & fees. VDS would spend the money and run a transfer kitty pot which Woody wouldn't be able to steal from.
Yeah it could probably be put right pretty easily.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
A year on, the question remains.

It's easy to point to Ole - he is holding us back on the pitch ultimately.

However I think he's merely a symptom of the bigger problem - the poor running of the club. Successive poor managerial appointments, no sense of planning in footballing structure or recruitment. The aura of stability, or the acceptance of mediocrity, leading to delayed decisions in replacing staff and players.

Where does the buck stop? It's probably the Glazers right?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
A year on, the question remains.

It's easy to point to Ole - he is holding us back on the pitch ultimately.

However I think he's merely a symptom of the bigger problem - the poor running of the club. Successive poor managerial appointments, no sense of planning in footballing structure or recruitment. The aura of stability, or the acceptance of mediocrity, leading to delayed decisions in replacing staff and players.

Where does the buck stop? It's probably the Glazers right?
All of the above, yeah. I think we've somewhat tried to rectify some of the above with Murtough's appointment, but we're playing catchup and left it far too late.