Who will be our first choice #9 next season?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
With Cavani signing a new deal and actually being a #9, do people think it's Mason as his understudy with Martial shifted back into competition with Rashford for the wide attacking left slot?

Hard to imagine us breaking the bank for a striker now, but a wide right attacker as first choice with Amad as his understudy would be quite pragmatic.

What do people expect in terms of the pecking order and potential rearrangement of roles in the final third?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Martial certainly has it all to do to get a game next season.
His only saving grace is Greenwood is still too young to regularly be the Number 9, and Cavani too old to be :)

Raveneye

Based on what we've been seeing lately, Cavani has a strong claim to starting the highest stakes games for the club when fit. But he'll need to space his games out and I'd be shocked if he doesn't get injured again at some point next season.

After that, Mason is showing he's learning so much. He's gotten better at making space for himself and finding ways to be relevant. Scrappy goals and headers are now within his repertoire. He's comfortable drifting out wide to disrupt the defense and make space for others, plus he knows how to deliver crosses from the wing too. And he just looks like he's bulked up more muscle which will let him cope with the physical aspect of the game.

Anthony Martial has the best hold up play. I hope he comes in next season taking advantage of every chance and clawing his way back into contention. But he's certainly going to begin the season as third choice.

Bwuk

I’d probably sell Martial and James, and sign Sancho.

Rashford/Pogba for the left, Cavani/Greenwood upfront and Sancho/Amad on the right.

Most of those options can play across the front 4 too. We have plenty of depth in the youth side who can provide further cover if required.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Obviously, Cavani based on this season but he cannot start more than 50% of games, so rotate him with Greenwood and let him learn the role under less pressure.

Depending on how Martial comes back, I'd play him left wing with Pogba in the advanced position (Bruno behind) because he just offers more than Rashford in terms of general play. Rashford I'd keep as an impact sub, due to his ability to produce moments of brilliance (we know this won't happen because Ole's in love with Rashford).

I would also consider selling/swapping Martial. Personally, if Dortmund are up for it, maybe a Martial + money deal for Bellingham would suit us great. Or even a swap with Kane if we still think we need a striker since Spurs were interested a few seasons back.

We are more desperate for a right winger and Sancho favours the left, even if he's also great on the right, so that's where we should focus our attention in the attacking department this summer.

tjb

With Cavani signing a new deal and actually being a #9, do people think it's Mason as his understudy with Martial shifted back into competition with Rashford for the wide attacking left slot?

Hard to imagine us breaking the bank for a striker now, but a wide right attacker as first choice with Amad as his understudy would be quite pragmatic.

What do people expect in terms of the pecking order and potential rearrangement of roles in the final third?
I think Pogba permanently has that role. Rashford would be competing with Sancho on the right, occassionally getting game time on the left if Pogba is tired

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But he's obviously our number one striker until someone proves otherwise.
Indeed.

Greenwood 2nd choice.

Martial a distant third at the moment, would be a clear 4th if Rashford hadn't looked so uncomfortable playing that role.

tjb

Martial certainly has it all to do to get a game next season.
His only saving grace is Greenwood is still too young to regularly be the Number 9, and Cavani too old to be :)
Martial will either be gone or used as a back up to Pogba/Rashford. We will sign Sancho this offseason and Cavani is now first choice. It's obvious that we have the now and the future with those two. Since Pogba isn't leaving, sell Martial and use that money to get Fred's partner.

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's easy to say sell Martial when he's had a bad season and ended it with an injury but he's still comfortably better than Greenwood and Rashford at ST.

032Devil

Ole needs to adopt SAF's strategy and play two strikers (Cole n' Yorke, Shiringham n' Solskjaer), Cavani n' Greenwood.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Solskjaer recently said Greenwood was years away from becoming a central striker. He isn't suddenly going to be Cavani's backup in that role next season. He'll continue playing in what is currently his best position.

It will be Cavani as first choice and Martial as second, with Martial playing quite a lot because Cavani is old and can't play that many games back to back.

I'd much prefer we sold Martial, brought in a top class #9 and weren't going into the run in of what we hope will be a title winning season with a 35 year old striker leading the line. But I suspect that's where we'll be as we have other areas to strengthen this summer too.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Ole needs to adopt SAF's strategy and play two strikers (Cole n' Yorke, Shiringham n' Solskjaer), Cavani n' Greenwood.
I was speculating on here about that recently - it does require a particular midfield though and pace in the backline.

Seems some think Martial is out, I think to be a true top side we're going to need high level depth, and having Martial and Rashford for one position is ideal. Definitely do not see Rashford being shunted out to the right to fit Pogba in on the left, people really think Pogba will be our attacking outlet on the left with everyone fit?

With the right type of midfielder (with a passing range and defensive nous) we could be playing Bruno and Pogba in the same midfield, with them interchanging in the #10 position. If Pogba ends up signing a new deal that is.

oz insomniac

If we are being honest, Cavani is not an every game player at their stage of his career. The direction of the club is again back on the Glazers willingness to sanction investment across a few players, particularly a 9,7 and 5. Rashford needs to step up and finally move his play from promising to the level his talent deserves.

Have the protests propelled the owners into action , firstly by appointing someone like Van Der Saar to underpin the football side, and then invest enough in the team to actually move closer to challenging City and even Chelsea who will no doubt improve next season.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I have a feeling we either buy someone like Ings or Rashford goes back to playing centrally if Pogba stays and plays on the left.

tjb

We are essentially playing a lopsided 4222, so that would work.

Dominos

Even if Rashford or Greenwood had a good spell as a striker while Cavani was out, they'll probably just be moved out wide when Cavani returns.

If we can get 19/20 version of Martial back then it's not beyond him to play himself into the team as first choice with Cavani playing a more bit part role, but I've no faith in his return to form and not even sure if he'll still be here next year.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Cavani will 1000% be the first choice next season, he won't play every game but I'd imagine his minutes will be managed to ensure he's available for the most important game on any given week

Idxomer

It's gonna be rotated between Martial and Cavani which is the most realistic option.

Luke1995

I don't think there will be a first choice 9. Cavani and Greenwood will rotate. As people mentioned, both of them can't play every single match from the start due to being too young/too old

Although Greenwood being young shouldn't really be a problem. Rooney was starting every game at 19/20.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't think there will be a first choice 9. Cavani and Greenwood will rotate. As people mentioned, both of them can't play every single match from the start due to being too young/too old

Although Greenwood being young shouldn't really be a problem. Rooney was starting every game at 19/20.
Rooney was a freak of nature, in fairness.

Luke1995

Rooney was a freak of nature, in fairness.
I feel like Greenwood is adapting very quickly. He may not become a Rooney, but he's not too far below.

Wasn't Rashford trusted with starting most of the games under Mourinho ?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I feel like Greenwood is adapting very quickly. He may not become a Rooney, but he's not too far below.

Wasn't Rashford trusted with starting most of the games under Mourinho ?
Did he? He drafted in Zlatan, so he played up top. Can't remember if there was rotation on the left between Tony and Rashford, at the start. Not that it matters, I'm not saying Greenwood can't play a lot, I definitely think he can, I just don't think any player really compares to Rooney who was more of a grown man at 17 than grown men are at any point in their lives.

Kag

Cavani and Martial will share league duties and Greenwood will get games all across the front. This is provided we finally sign a right bloody winger.

Teja

Bruno basically plays like a second striker anyway. You can't really get away with:

------ Cavani --- Greenwood -------
-- Pogba -------------- Sancho -------
-------- DM ----- Bruno ------------------

Midfield will get overrun in 2 seconds.

Alemar

Ipeople really think Pogba will be our attacking outlet on the left with everyone fit?
If we buy a world class CDM then maybe he will play more in the middle. But if not, then it’s best to play Pogba from the left, and of course no one displaces a fit and motivated Pogba

phenry

I like the idea of Cavani and Greenwood up top if we sign Sancho. If we're getting Sancho, a DM and CB while waiting a year for Haaland then we'd be better off hanging on to Martial for next season to keep some strength and depth in our forward positions.

Luke1995

Did he? He drafted in Zlatan, so he played up top. Can't remember if there was rotation on the left between Tony and Rashford, at the start. Not that it matters, I'm not saying Greenwood can't play a lot, I definitely think he can, I just don't think any player really compares to Rooney who was more of a grown man at 17 than grown men are at any point in their lives.
Fair point. So do you think Cavani should start most of the matches or rotate with Greenwood ? I'm assuming Rashford and Martial won't be tried as number 9's so they would compete for the left spot.

Martial and Cavani will have equal shares. Martial in form is brilliant and Cavani has gone through some very poor patches this season even if he is ending it on a high. Neither are guaranteed, and neither are really good enough to challenge City. We need to find somebody new this summer.

StBruno

Cavani could injured in the blink of an eye and at 34 will take longer to recover.

Martial is sublime on his day .poise speed and balance. Only problem is that his day is once in a month of Sundays .

We need a full on striker in his prime.

032Devil

Take a leaf out of SAF's book. We need four strikers.

At the moment, we have two: Cavani and Greenwood. Which means we need three more. Martial needs to go.

kundalini

Solskjaer recently said Greenwood was years away from becoming a central striker. He isn't suddenly going to be Cavani's backup in that role next season. He'll continue playing in what is currently his best position.

It will be Cavani as first choice and Martial as second, with Martial playing quite a lot because Cavani is old and can't play that many games back to back.
This.

Though the picture may change during the course of the season, depending on the form of Cavani and Martial. If Martial can rediscover his form of last season, then he could win back his starting role.

Since Solskjaer selects the team, his opinion is far more important than anyone else's.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Take a leaf out of SAF's book. We need four strikers.

At the moment, we have two: Cavani and Greenwood. Which means we need three more. Martial needs to go.
Maths don't add up here. 3+2=4?

Fergie played two up top and therefore needed four strikers. We don't do that anymore. There is no way of keeping four strikers happy/satisfied when you only intend to play one.

jem

Indeed.

Greenwood 2nd choice.

Martial a distant third at the moment, would be a clear 4th if Rashford hadn't looked so uncomfortable playing that role.
Why would he be 4th behind Rashford when he has looked much better in that role than Marcus?

Crashoutcassius

Martial will hit some form at some point. People forget the things he has done in his career. If we got cash for him i wouldn't miss him personally but if he stays I'm sure he will hit form again

Teja

Cavani could injured in the blink of an eye and at 34 will take longer to recover.

Martial is sublime on his day .poise speed and balance. Only problem is that his day is once in a month of Sundays .

We need a full on striker in his prime.
Greenwood exists and will probably be #2 behind Cavani next season. Afterwards, if he starts banging them in we might not even need a #9.

032Devil

Maths don't add up here. 3+2=4?

Fergie played two up top and therefore needed four strikers. We don't do that anymore. There is no way of keeping four strikers happy/satisfied when you only intend to play one.
Cavani's gone at the end of next season. We already have four strikers.

hobbers

Cavani first choice by a clear mile. Greenwood second choice #9 and (right now, pending new signings) first choice on the right. Pogba or Rashford on the left.

Martial is Rashford's back up. He's on too high a wage and has been too abysmal for any club to be interested in signing him, he'll be stinking up the wage bill a while yet.