Who will be our Right Back next season?

dutchred

No im not. Are you an Ajax supporter who thinks only Ajax can have good players? Why would he play American football? He is playing normal football at a top 10/15 European club and doing well for them. It is just ridiculous to claim that Laird, a player who could hardly get into the team at the number two of the championship, is better than Dumfries.
Let's agree to disagree on this. I never said Laird was better

Stadjer

Let's agree to disagree on this. I never said Laird was better
You are right. You said he is as good. Which i only find slightly less ridiculous.

Laird is as good as Dumfries, who can't defend to save his life
But who knows, maybe you are right. I would be happy if the Manchester United right back would be as good as Dumfries because i dont think the current options are. It would be a nice suprise if Laird turns out to be as good as Dumfries.

dutchred

You are right. You said he is as good. Which i only find slightly less ridiculous.

But who knows, maybe you are right. I would be happy if the Manchester United right back would be as good as Dumfries because i dont think the current options are. It would be a nice suprise if Laird turns out to be as good as Dumfries.
Final word, but I think long term, Elenga will be our right back

georgipep

Doesn't mean it's a good idea. Too cumbersome to play as a midfielder and has never actually shown the passing ability we thought we were getting. The occasional long ball yes, but mostly just sideways safe passing that is fairly slow.

With Elanga I see some qualities for a full back. Probably more ideal as a wing back, but still, a top coach can probably drill some of the defensive side into him.
I don't get the cumbersome comment, considering Matic has probably been our best midfielder when not overused. But anyway, Lindelof will not play DM so no need to entertain this idea

Avero

Why would you even mention Elanga in this thread?

Hughie77

Hopefully a new signing. Dalot is a weak defender against top opposition. AWB is better defending and poor going forward. Both have a chance with ETH. We need to play a more possession based game for either of those to prosper, if We do do that Dalot would be the one.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
What makes you say that?

Was/is Trent Alexander Arnold a defender? or did he learn it?

There's no such thing as isn't or is anything in football.
Trent Alexander-Arnold was an attacking right back for Liverpool's youth team and ever since promotion to the first team.

Anthony Elanga has played pretty much exclusively in the three attacking positions.
That is quite a difference.
I am not saying it is impossible but it seems quite a reach to suggest it.

It is also quite unusual for a left footer to play at right back, where crosses are usually swung in from deep.

sparx99

I don't think Elanga is the dumbest idea either. Maybe would need to strengthen up a little to be better in physical confrontations but he has the recovery speed, the energy to get up and down and has the ability on the ball to be a right back. Would need a lot of nurturing but it's far better than suggestions like AWB as a CB or Lindelof DM.
Elanga would have so much to learn. Its the back post crosses and positioning that’s the biggest issue. Just look at AWB as to how it looks when a winger is converted to a full back

EtH

Really think ETH will like the cut of Laird’s jib.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Good Q, massive gaping hole we havent filled since Rafael left. At this point i'd take Ashley Young back!
Weird to omit Valencia who was not only one of the best RBs in the league, but was also miles better than Rafael too.

sparx99

I don’t see this at all. Dalot is generally a decent defender, though obviously not an outstanding one.

It’s his crossing that’s absolutely terrible, made all the worse by the fact that he gets into promising positions a lot. If anything can be improved by one to one coaching, surely it’s this?
The key thing is having the tactical play to get Dalot and say Shaw crossing from better positions or hopefully passing the ball into and across the box. That’s what City do generally with only really KDB delivering seriously high quality crosses. Liverpool obviously have two of the best crossers from full back around so it’s not as important.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Trent Alexander-Arnold was an attacking right back for Liverpool's youth team and ever since promotion to the first team.

Anthony Elanga has played pretty much exclusively in the three attacking positions.

It is also quite unusual for a left footer to play at right back, where crosses are usually swung in from deep.
TAA was a CM I believe, he only got tried at RB by Klopp as they had an injury to Clyne and he spotted he had great delivery.

Converting young players isn't as unusual as you'd think.

croadyman

Certain it's Dalot/AWB, not any serious smoke whatsoever of signing one either

Adam-Utd

Unless Klopp managed England u16s and Liverpool u16s then that isn’t even remotely true.

Perhaps he'd already switched permanently by that point, i'm no expert. He definitely did play a lot of CM before that though.

That isn't really the point anyway, just because Elanga came through as a winger doesn't mean he will stay there.

Modern fullbacks in possession/attacking sides usually are more winger than defender anyway.

As I've said previously, there is a lot more competition for Elanga on the wings but at RB he could make it his own, I won't be surprised to see him give it a try.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Perhaps he'd already switched permanently by that point, i'm no expert. He definitely did play a lot of CM before that though.

That isn't really the point anyway, just because Elanga came through as a winger doesn't mean he will stay there.

Modern fullbacks in possession/attacking sides usually are more winger than defender anyway.

As I've said previously, there is a lot more competition for Elanga on the wings but at RB he could make it his own, I won't be surprised to see him give it a try.
You could try watching videos before you post them, he isn’t playing CM in virtually any of that. Most the clips he’s on the right touch line and wearing #2 or 7. :lol: He definitely didn’t play a lot of CM or they wouldn’t fill a video about him supposedly being a CM with all footage of him playing on the right.

He’ll become a fullback the same way this place claimed Chong, Lingard and basically every academy player would. Or in other words, he won’t.

Dr. StrangeHate

Where does the idea of Elanga at RB come from? Has it been mentioned by ETH or has he every played there?

Revaulx

The key thing is having the tactical play to get Dalot and say Shaw crossing from better positions or hopefully passing the ball into and across the box. That’s what City do generally with only really KDB delivering seriously high quality crosses. Liverpool obviously have two of the best crossers from full back around so it’s not as important.
Yeah. Shaw needs to improve in the final third as well, for all that he’s great progressing the ball up to that point.

Adam-Utd

Where does the idea of Elanga at RB come from? Has it been mentioned by ETH or has he every played there?
It's my own opinion for a few reasons.

1. He perfectly suits the role of a modern fullback.

He works very hard, defensively trustworthy (hence why Rangnick kept him on the wing a lot over Rashford) and has blistering pace when running into space.
He's a decent crosser of the ball, can beat people if left 1v1 and has shown decent link up play. He's a goal threat too, which can never be a bad thing from a fullback. Aerially we've seen him chip in with a few headers now, I can forsee him arriving onto the back post and giving us more threat than AWB or Dalot.

Obviously he might need to work on his positioning and 1v1 defending, but AWB was a winger until only about 1 year before he made his Palace debut. If Elanga takes it seriously any intelligent player can play the role of a fullback. It's more about concentration than anything. There is also plenty of suspect fullbacks defensively who make up for it with being better going forward.

2. We will have a lot of competition on the wings.

From what I've seen of Elanga so far, although he's very young he is more about hard work and speed than skill and individual brilliance. Up against the likes of Rashford (if he gets himself together), Sancho, Amad, Antony (if we do sign him) and then we've got Garnacho breaking through, he might find himself a little down the pecking order.

I think Elanga fits a similar profile to Mazraoui who ETH loved, and unless he can work a miracle on AWB or Dalot, I think he will be looking for other options.

Elanga did play RB under Ole in one match for a period when we went hail mary and he looked good, but obviously that was an isolated situation so can't really be used as great evidence.

It's more of a gut feeling from experience, it might not happen, but lets just say it's something i'd keep an eye on.

Last edited:

Dr. StrangeHate

He works very hard, defensively trustworthy (hence why Rangnick kept him on the wing a lot over Rashford) and has blistering pace when running into space.
He's a decent crosser of the ball, can beat people if left 1v1 and has shown decent link up play. He's a goal threat too, which can never be a bad thing from a fullback. Aerially we've seen him chip in with a few headers now, I can forsee him arriving onto the back post and giving us more threat than AWB or Dalot.

Obviously he might need to work on his positioning and 1v1 defending, but AWB was a winger until only about 1 year before he made his Palace debut. If Elanga takes it seriously any intelligent player can play the role of a fullback. It's more about concentration than anything. There is also plenty of suspect fullbacks defensively who make up for it with being better going forward.

From what I've seen of Elanga so far, although he's very young he is more about hard work and speed than skill and individual brilliance. Up against the likes of Rashford (if he gets himself together), Sancho, Amad, Antony (if we do sign him) and then we've got Garnacho breaking through, he might find himself a little down the pecking order.

I think Elanga fits a similar profile to Mazraoui who ETH loved, and unless he can work a miracle on AWB or Dalot, I think he will be looking for other options.

Elanga did play RB under Ole in one match for a period when we went hail mary and he looked good, but obviously that was an isolated situation so can't really be used as great evidence.

It's more of a gut feeling from experience, it might not happen, but lets just say it's something i'd keep an eye on.
Thanks for the detailed answer, looks worth a try for the role if all else fails. If LVG was here, this would have happened as you are right he is a hard worker and LVG tried Lingard there for a game. But I don't know how easy it is to learn the defensive aspect of the game considering he has never had to consider it before. I also don't if ETH likes to change people's primary roles.

sincher

TAA was a CM I believe, he only got tried at RB by Klopp as they had an injury to Clyne and he spotted he had great delivery.

Converting young players isn't as unusual as you'd think.
Pretty sure that is wrong. Certainly played RB on his debut. Sometimes he is moved further upfield for obvious reasons but he has a core position.

sincher

I find the idea of Elanga as a right-back or right wing back really quite odd. Left wing back... maybe, though I have not seen much indication that he can defend.

Avero

Agree, but Elanga is right footed

Red_toad

€25 million and go get Gusto from Lyon, he’s one of the next big things to come out of France. Has a fair amount of flair and good engine and the physical attributes you’d want in a right back.

SAFMUTD

Im actually amazed that were bringing Malacia for the left back but there are no rumors for right back. I mean it's clear Wan Bissaka won't even get a chance and Dalot is clearly not good enough.

EtH

I’d love for us to go for Mæhle. Such a threat from the fullback position.

Scholsey2004

Pretty sure that is wrong. Certainly played RB on his debut. Sometimes he is moved further upfield for obvious reasons but he has a core position.
He means at youth level. He was certainly a midfielder before he broke into Liverpools first team.

Scholsey2004

He was complaining about playing out of position on the right wing or up top not long since. Theyve got to be open to the idea to switch position like Valencia and Young were and i'm not convinced he would be.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Can he actually defend though?? It's very different pressing forward and another tracking runners, intercepting through balls, winning defensive headers and not getting toyed with by wide players.

Paul778

€25 million and go get Gusto from Lyon, he’s one of the next big things to come out of France. Has a fair amount of flair and good engine and the physical attributes you’d want in a right back.

After gazumping them for Malacia this isn't going to happen

EtH

Think EtH will take a liking to Laird.
I think so too as I said before in this thread. But relying on Laird and Dalot seems a bit mad. We really need another senior RB who fits EtH’s style so Laird can be eased in and we actually have some depth at the position.

Adam-Utd

He was complaining about playing out of position on the right wing or up top not long since. Theyve got to be open to the idea to switch position like Valencia and Young were and i'm not convinced he would be.
source? i’ve not seen that
Can he actually defend though?? It's very different pressing forward and another tracking runners, intercepting through balls, winning defensive headers and not getting toyed with by wide players.
i’m sure he’s capable of defending to a certain degree, but that’s pretty impossible for us to answer until we actually see it happen.

Somebody said he played the 2nd half at RB against palace already, but i’m not sure he had a lot of defending to do in that game.