Who will be our Right Back next season?

Scholsey2004

source? i’ve not seen that

i’m sure he’s capable of defending to a certain degree, but that’s pretty impossible for us to answer until we actually see it happen.

Somebody said he played the 2nd half at RB against palace already, but i’m not sure he had a lot of defending to do in that game.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/anthony-elanga-man-united-sweden-27158854
'complaining' might be an over emphasis, but still, he seems to want to play on the left.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/anthony-elanga-man-united-sweden-27158854
'complaining' might be an over emphasis, but still, he seems to want to play on the left.
A lot of competition up against Rashford,Sancho and Garnacho.

If he wants to play regularly he needs to either make the RW slot his own, or accept trying elsewhere. I think ETH will prefer an inside forward on the right side.

Modern fullbacks are essentially wingers now anyway, there isn't much more difference apart from having to keep the defensive line.

If he wants to play regularly he needs to either make the RW slot his own, or accept trying elsewhere. I think ETH will prefer an inside forward on the right side.

Modern fullbacks are essentially wingers now anyway, there isn't much more difference apart from having to keep the defensive line.
Back post defending from low and high crosses? Not getting beat 1v1 vs a Vinicius, Mbappe or Mane? There’s a lot of difference.

Adam-Utd

Back post defending from low and high crosses? Not getting beat 1v1 vs a Vinicius, Mbappe or Mane? There’s a lot of difference.
Obviously there are certain things he will need to work on, but aerially he is quite good. Very fast and strong so 1v1 defending should be fine as long as he doesn't dive into challenges.

Alexander Arnold manages just fine, if Elanga can reach even a basic level of defending he will be alright.

Anyway, it's purely speculative. For all we know he might be our next striker!

Scholsey2004

I dont disagree at all. Obviously the player needs to be willing and enthusiastic to make that transition though for it to work. Obviously Valencia and Young were older and struggling for relevance in the team. Selling it to a 20 year old that he wont be good enough to play in his favoured position might be a little harder, especially when he's getting games there for his country.

Teja

Dunno if there's a better thread but:

Maybe we found a buyer for AWB?

Also

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Any other options than Dumfries? What's the rumoured price?

sillwuka

I could be wrong but Dumfries is not that impressive on the ball. Still a good option to compete with Dalot if we sell AWB.

GMoore23

Anybody with any understanding of the game could see that Bissaka had nowhere near the technical qualities needed at a top side.
I've gone on about this before but I just can't understand how so-called top footballing staff could think he would be a good fit.

Infra-red

I could be wrong but Dumfries is not that impressive on the ball. Still a good option to compete with Dalot if we sell AWB.
His passing game is not very good at all. He's really strong and is like a freight train up and down the right-hand side, but he's crap in small spaces. Strikes me as more of a Conte wingback than a Ten Hag one. I wonder if the links to him were as simple as, "he's Dutch, so United must want him".

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I know technically he is not good enough but Wan Bissaka always seemed like an inverted full back than one that was keeping his width.

Id like to see him get one chance at that before he leaves.

croadyman

Well won't be signing one so would be interested to see Laird given a proper go

croadyman

I know technically he is not good enough but Wan Bissaka always seemed like an inverted full back than one that was keeping his width.

Id like to see him get one chance at that before he leaves.
Had enough chances for me, Erik isn't gonna be able to magic an attacking RB out of him

Stadjer

Had enough chances for me, Erik isn't gonna be able to magic an attacking RB out of him
He might be able to improve him by creating a system that AWB can use to offer something going forward. Awb wont be a Trent but with a clear system and clear instructions he might be able to fill in the RB role in a more attacking way until a new one is bought. He has chances to play, Dalot isnt exactly a fantastic player either and it seems like no new RB will be signed this summer.

MUFC OK

Why is that gimp being quoted as any kind of source on literally anything?
Have noticed he's trying to be some sort of ITK or source on transfers. He seems incredibly toxic from the little I've seen.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Anybody with any understanding of the game could see that Bissaka had nowhere near the technical qualities needed at a top side.
I've gone on about this before but I just can't understand how so-called top footballing staff could think he would be a good fit.
Our scouting network (as well as all other areas of the club) are incompetent. AWB was bought when our policy was to look for players who were tried and tested in the EPL - that didn't work out too well and we have now reverted to looking for foreign players who have never played in the EPL.
I actually think it'll be Dalot, who is still very young. ETH will probably attempt to coach him into being a better RB. Whether he achieves this or not is another matter.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I haven’t given up on AWB. He actually has pretty good raw skills, and his crossing was getting better at the end of 2020-21.

His problem seems to be knowing how to use his skills, so hopefully with some decent coaching we could see something close to a 50m player (maybe a bit overly optimistic).

WirralRed

It is a shame Laird’s swap in loan to Bournemouth never paid off. I’d happily sell both AWB and Dalot and sign a decent experienced right back (still thought we should have gotten Trippier) and let Laird be back up.

There really doesn’t seem to be too many great options around thought so wouldn’t know who we could get and maybe we would be better letting one stay instead of wasting time trying to sign someone and hope Laird impresses on tour.

saivet

A Dutch or current Eredevise right back...

I think as it stands Dalot is most likely but do think we'll bring someone in to challenge rather than be an automatic starter over Dalot.

davidmichael

Well won't be signing one so would be interested to see Laird given a proper go
I’ve been saying this for a while, I want us to give Laird and Garner a chance next season instead of loaning them out. They will learn more playing in the PL with the first team under ETH than playing a different system under someone else’s tactics.

From what I have seen Laird is a modern right back and the kind of attacking full bsck that an inside forward like say Antony would love to play with, we’ve wasted so many players that have come through the academy by loaning them out every season so let’s go with Laird next season.

croadyman

I’ve been saying this for a while, I want us to give Laird and Garner a chance next season instead of loaning them out. They will learn more playing in the PL with the first team under ETH than playing a different system under someone else’s tactics.

From what I have seen Laird is a modern right back and the kind of attacking full bsck that an inside forward like say Antony would love to play with, we’ve wasted so many players that have come through the academy by loaning them out every season so let’s go with Laird next season.
Yeah would love to see Erik have Laird attacking at RB and Malacia at LB, however fear Dalot/AWB are getting the nod over him

davidmichael

Yeah would love to see Erik have Laird attacking at RB and Malacia at LB, however fear Dalot/AWB are getting the nod over him
I don’t see AWB getting any game time under ETH as AWB is basically the anti thesis for an ETH full back, AWB can’t trap a bag of cement and you’d think the ball had the plague with how scared he looks with it near him.

If anyone is going to be brave enough to play Laird and Garner it’d be ETH, from what I’ve seen of Garner he’s a lot like Carrick which would suit ETH as back up to De Jong if he does sign. If we were to get Antony then Antony and Laird on the right with Sancho and Shaw or Malacia on the left is a very modern set up on the flanks.

croadyman

I don’t see AWB getting any game time under ETH as AWB is basically the anti thesis for an ETH full back, AWB can’t trap a bag of cement and you’d think the ball had the plague with how scared he looks with it near him.

If anyone is going to be brave enough to play Laird and Garner it’d be ETH, from what I’ve seen of Garner he’s a lot like Carrick which would suit ETH as back up to De Jong if he does sign. If we were to get Antony then Antony and Laird on the right with Sancho and Shaw or Malacia on the left is a very modern set up on the flanks.
Would be a show of trust if he could give Ethan a chance against scousers/Palace/Villa but not confident it happens

davidmichael

Would be a show of trust if he could give Ethan a chance against scousers/Palace/Villa but not confident it happens
If ever there was time to look at a player it’s in pre season, if De Jong isn’t done in time for the first pre season game I’d put Garner in the role earmarked for De Jong and also Laird at right back.

NLunited

I would not mind Dumfries at RB. Despite his limitations. At every step in his career he has proven doubters wrong, with his mentality and physicality.

It is good to have a mix of different types of players.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Probably dalot, can’t see us signing a rb. We signed the wrong sided fb in my opionion… thought rb should of been before a lb.

Abraxas

I haven’t given up on AWB. He actually has pretty good raw skills, and his crossing was getting better at the end of 2020-21.

His problem seems to be knowing how to use his skills, so hopefully with some decent coaching we could see something close to a 50m player (maybe a bit overly optimistic).
What raw skills? The whole reason we have had this hopeful narrative of "Wan-Bissaka can improve" from our fans since the moment he joined is precisely because he is lacking fundamental ability for a Manchester United footballer and our eyes were telling us that quite clearly.

We were pretty much hoping upon hope he would improve his control, passing, final third play, and I'd even add in defensive positioning and concentration. The latter two are very much coachable, but basic on ball ability is not so easily coached. So he's actually lacking fundamental skills more so than he has them.

ThanksBoss26

If ever there was time to look at a player it’s in pre season, if De Jong isn’t done in time for the first pre season game I’d put Garner in the role earmarked for De Jong and also Laird at right back.
Certainly feels worth taking a good look at both.

Dante

Average bang
Right now, it's looking like Dalot.

If you watch the training videos on the official Man Utd website, AWB seems to be in the same group as the youth team players whereas Dalot is in together with the seniors.

Blood Mage

Let's see how Dalot does under a proper coach, I think he could surprise many.

van Persie

Perhaps he'd already switched permanently by that point, i'm no expert. He definitely did play a lot of CM before that though.

That isn't really the point anyway, just because Elanga came through as a winger doesn't mean he will stay there.

Modern fullbacks in possession/attacking sides usually are more winger than defender anyway.

As I've said previously, there is a lot more competition for Elanga on the wings but at RB he could make it his own, I won't be surprised to see him give it a try.
I doubt you'll see as many comments on having players switch positions on other clubs forums. Sad state of affairs.

McTominay > CB
Elanga > RB
Lindelöf > DM
Fernandes > ST
Shaw > CM/DM

Probably more :lol:

Adam-Utd

I doubt you'll see as many comments on having players switch positions on other clubs forums. Sad state of affairs.

McTominay > CB
Elanga > RB
Lindelöf > DM
Fernandes > ST
Shaw > CM/DM

Probably more :lol:
of course you will. Forums are here to talk and discuss ideas.

If you don't agree that's your choice but why do you have to be the fun police?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Ashley Cole and Patrice Evra was left wingers. Of course Elanga could follow a similar pattern. But I’m not sure he is ready to give up on playing striker/LW. Maybe as part of getting minutes like Gerrard or even Roy Keane? Milner also played LB for a while.

Does he have the motivation or even tactical awareness for it? Maybe! Playing full back these days are more fun than it used to. I guess it depends alot on EtH and how he wanna play. If he use «inverted fullbacks», almost playing like CMs, I’m not sure Elanga is the answer for us.

Regardless, I do think we have more than enough players who should be able to fill in at RB. Considering the options at hand (KWP?!), and the need for players in other positions, I hope we wait to next summer.

Polar

Matic has probably been our best midfielder when not overused.
Almost funny. When that’s said it isn’t a hard competition :D Among Fred, McT and Matic I’ll argue Fred has been our best CM.

McT can probably become an descent CB and I think Elanga can become a very good RB. It doesn’t happen overnight and the question is also if someone think he can be a world class offensive player. If so it will be stupid to develop him into a RB.

Last edited: