Who will be our starter on the left side of attack?

ShoePolish

Rashford, when on form he's unplayable. Case can be made for Sancho too, if he actually starts showing the level he was at Dortmund.

georgipep

Ole found it really hard to drop Rashford at all last season even when he was clearly not fit. I’d expect him to be first choice even in bad form.
That was because an injured Rashford was more dangerous against a low block than James or Martial (as LW). Now we have other options.

Lentwood

This is why the relentless pursuit of Sancho seems slightly strange to me...

I'm not for one minute suggesting Sancho won't be a fantastic player for us, however, every man and his dog knows we're desperate for a CM, and we have once again neglected that position for about the 15th season running!

In my opinion, the CF HAS to be Ronaldo or Cavani. Even if Greenwood is going to become a CF in-time, right now those two are more experienced and will score more goals at CF.

That being said, Greenwood is one of our best players already in my opinion, so also has to play. I see no reason not to continue with him at AMR.

That leaves Sancho, Rashford and Pogba to go into one position, which seems nuts given how weak our CM is! It's like living in someone's garden shed but buying three Ferrari's!

Personally, we can't play Pogba centrally if Bruno is playing, but we can't leave Pogba out...so that leaves me no choice but to leave out Rashford and our £73m summer signing...again...bonkers!

Granted, we will play 60 games and there is room for them all...but did we target the wrong Dortmund player? Would £73m have been better spent on Bellingham? (Again, I caveat that buy saying I love Sancho...but is he what we need right now)

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
An abundance of options is a good thing, I wish people would realise that. There’s plenty of game time for all of the attacking players.

A few central players would be great now— annoying to see that it’s only Chelsea and Juve being linked with the Monaco boy at the moment.

georgipep

When in fact, from our squad, it's only Cavani and Ronaldo anyone would actually have ahead of him.
Well, Martial (up until last season) and Greenwood are far more clinical in front of goal and I'd argue everyone in the club knows it too.

But Rashford is the one most likely to end up in that position through his movement and speed, so... Who cares? Ole will figure it out!

Bertie Wooster

It's very good to have options in the squad, and versatile players, but I think it's also good for a manager to have a fair idea of their strongest line up for the biggest games.

So far, I'd say 9 of those positions are fixed for the 'big' matches:

De Gea - AWB, Varane, Maguire, Shaw - Fred, McTominay - Fernandes - Ronaldo

With just the wide attacking options up for grabs - which are the best positions for that as they're a lot more flexible and have more freedom rather than tactical responsibilities which are better to have a fixed person you can trust.

Pogba or Rashford for the left, and Greenwood or Sancho for the right, are great dilemmas to have and, so long as Ole can keep everyone happy (with Lingard and Martial also options), then it's a great position to be in and whichever we start with is a strong option.

For easier games, especially at home, I'd also expect to see Pogba played CM at times to get both him and one of the many other left sided options into the team.

red_de_pologne

I'm not for one minute suggesting Sancho won't be a fantastic player for us, however, every man and his dog knows we're desperate for a CM, and we have once again neglected that position for about the 15th season running!

In my opinion, the CF HAS to be Ronaldo or Cavani. Even if Greenwood is going to become a CF in-time, right now those two are more experienced and will score more goals at CF.

That being said, Greenwood is one of our best players already in my opinion, so also has to play. I see no reason not to continue with him at AMR.

That leaves Sancho, Rashford and Pogba to go into one position, which seems nuts given how weak our CM is! It's like living in someone's garden shed but buying three Ferrari's!

Personally, we can't play Pogba centrally if Bruno is playing, but we can't leave Pogba out...so that leaves me no choice but to leave out Rashford and our £73m summer signing...again...bonkers!

Granted, we will play 60 games and there is room for them all...but did we target the wrong Dortmund player? Would £73m have been better spent on Bellingham? (Again, I caveat that buy saying I love Sancho...but is he what we need right now)
That's my sentiment, I wanted us to sign Bellingham instead of Sancho, even when I thought he'd be nailed on to start at RW, I preferred us to have a class CM and rotate Greenwood and Amad.

At the left I have a feeling until Pogba contract renewal is at stake we will overplay him there at the cost of Rashford, and now also Sancho.

it's great we have so many class options in attack, it's a shame same can't be said about midfield.

Denis79

The expectations are high this season and if we are to compete on all fronts we will have to rotate anyways. With that said whoever is on form should play the more important matches.

tomaldinho1

That was because an injured Rashford was more dangerous against a low block than James or Martial (as LW). Now we have other options.
Let’s see. I think Rashford will get the lion’s share of game time there.

Oldyella

Rashford if he comes back in good health and regains his form. I can see Pogba playing in some big games if Ole wants to play with an extra midfielder tucking in.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

This.

Tarrou

I can see it taking a while for Rashford to displace Pogba as the main starter on the left

and wouldn't be surprised if Pogba keeps it for most of the season

RC89

A lot will depend on form, but at the moment it's hard to look past

--------------------Ronaldo-----------------
Pogba----------Bruno-------Greenwood

Giggsy13

Have to give it to Rashford. His pace along with Ronaldo could be devastating. Rashford, Ronaldo and Mason/Sancho. Great to see genuine competition for places.

georgipep

Let’s see. I think Rashford will get the lion’s share of game time there.
Same. Marcus is explosive and such a spark in attack, something that Sancho could turn into but not there right now. Shame for him because the time for Rashford to rest after surgery was the perfect opportunity for him to nail down one of the wing spots.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Both Pogba and Greenwood are undroppable. You start with your best players and these two have had a very good start to the season productivity wise. Sancho will come good but at the moment he doesn't make our best starting 11 for me. Greenwood is deserving of a starting berth on the right at the moment.

I agree with the views about the selection on the left changing depending on the opposition but I think a fit Rashford and Pogba will get the most minutes down the left
If Greenwood or Pogbo lose their place now that could be a disaster in the locker room. There is little worse for a team when deserving players lose their starting role, it's something all players notice and become disgruntled. Greenwood is better than Sancho right now and should start. Pogba is our best LW now and should start.

EtH

We had no idea Ronaldo would even be available when we pursued / purchased Sancho. I think the plan at the time was to alternate Greenwood between CF and RW this season. But obviously plans changed.

GlasgowCeltic

Would solve so much if Rashford could blossom as a striker, would open up Sancho for the left in the long term and Greenwood for the right, and probably start to open the door for Amad.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
In answer to the OP: Marcus Rashford.

AgentSmith

Against teams where we’ll look to dominate the ball:

McTominay - Pogba
Greenwood - Bruno - Rashford
Ronaldo​

Against teams who will look to dominate the ball against us:

McTominay - Fred
Greenwood - Bruno - Pogba
Ronaldo​

dal

Sancho has done nothing yet to bench greenwood.
Yes but he will bench Greenwood by October.

Greenwood for me still needs a few years before he starts as he always seems to be on the periphery.

He could prove me wrong and start by I’m 99 percent sure he won’t.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
What is certain is that we have the most ridiculous depth for that position. I dont see us having a guaranteed starter there unless one player truly becomes undroppable for LW.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Yes but he will bench Greenwood by October.

Greenwood for me still needs a few years before he starts as he always seems to be on the periphery.

He could prove me wrong and start by I’m 99 percent sure he won’t.
It's already October next week.

Ole doesn't drop an in form player unless they're injured.

As excellent as Greenwood's been so far, Sancho will be better for the team balance on the right when he gets going. Better creator and more likely to be involved in the game. The aim should be to give Greenwood as much time as Foden got for City last season.

And Rashford should be on the left against most teams when he's back. I don't trust Pogba to keep this mad assist streak going - think having Rashford's direct threat will benefit both Shaw and Ronaldo more.

Last edited:

Flytan

Greenwood's my favorite player so I have him nailed on the right side. Obviously Sancho will come good but if we're competing for a title he's going to need to find better form pretty quickly to compete with Greenwood there.

So that means Sancho/Rashford/Pogba competing for the left. Pogba needs to be in the team right now. Against lesser opponents maybe he can play with McTominay or Fred but against big teams I think he takes that spot. Sucks for Rashford that he chose to get the surgery so late, really think he'll have to earn his spot back.

SoCross

Think we’ve been missing Rashford’s directness and pace a bit actually.

If we play Greenwood on the right, will prefer Pogba on the left.

If we play Sancho on the right, will prefer Rashford on the left.
Also came here to say that this is my choice on paper. Theoretically, makes sense to have a balance of a “creator” and a “goal-scorer” on either wing.

Might have been the thinking behind Sancho’s pursuit - we only had Bruno and to a lesser extent Pogba last year as our main sources of creativity before the fullbacks started to get heavily involved. Another creative type was needed.

Tallis

It’s a tough one - can make good argument for either of Lingard, Rash or Pogba.
Lingard seems to be in a little bit of a run at the moment. We should make use of it - if he can hit 10-12 goals in the next 10-15 games like he did for West Ham, we would be in pretty good shape with each of Ronaldo, Bruno and Mason in good form too.

I feel like we should rotate Bruno and Pogba a little so they remain fresh and play them both if we are playing someone who is going to park the bus or if we want Pogba to tactically start on the left (this is like 5-10 game a season in my view). Then, I would rotate Rash and Lingard for left and Mason Sancho for right. I presume Amad will go on loan at some point.

Martial is starting to look surplus and we should endeavour to get rid in the winter window and sign a MF.

Kag

I expect Rashford will play most of our games there provided he’s scoring. He offers goals in a way that Pogba or Sancho won’t. If he isn’t scoring then he’s fairly redundant, however.

We’ll rotate depending on form, ultimately. It will be interesting to see who gets the nod in the big games.

wolvored

As others have said 'Rashy' is Oles favourite and I dont see him dropping Pogba whilst he is trying to sign a new contract, so Rashford will start on the right, to the detriment of the team.

Deusex

When in fact, from our squad, it's only Greenwood, Cavani and Ronaldo anyone would actually have ahead of him.
Martial, Lingard, Pogba, Bruno, Sancho...
So I will concede he is, in fact, in the top 9 finishers at the club.

Confirming that we're talking about the same Lingard here that's averaged 6 goals a season in all competitions in his United career to date.

Definitely someone you'd rather have one on one with the keeper than Rashford, yup. Way better finisher.

SplitzMagic

Doesn't it still feel so surreal to mention Ronaldo ST.

So used to watch him slapping goals elsewhere that him being with us just doesn't seem real.