Who will be the surprise inclusion in the team?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bailly.

Good on the ball, very quick, brave and batshit crazy.

ETH seems eccentric too, I think he will like him a lot.

Kag

I think McTominay is going to get a shit load of game time. I think he’s horrible, but managers like him.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It’s got to be ganarcho surely? Think garner has a good shot aswell if we don’t Loan him out again seen as though we’re short of quality in the middle of the pitch.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If we don't sign defender i expect that Bailly will be Varane's partner.
Also Martial. He will be backup for Ronaldo and first choice left winger IF we don't sign Antony (so Sancho will go right in that case).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm going with Laird. RB is the weakest position and Laird is good young player.

daveskimufc

I don't know I think this, but I have a feeling he will get frustrated with ddg. So potentially a young keeper getting a few unlikely starts

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
...dare I say it...Greenwood?!

Surely the bail can't keep being extended for ever more! What more evidence can there be in a simple relationship domestic matter. The intern must be making their way through the thousands of messages by now!

Note: Please no commenting on specifics, as this is an ongoing case.

Anyway..the title says surprise and Greenwood certainly would be.
The biggest surprise would be him getting off on charges of rape, assault and threat to kill. Another surprise is that some fans still have a hope that he’s going to play again next season.

Dr Foo

Scott Mctominay in CB

Amad

But I have to admit, I haven't watched enough of EtH's Ajax play to have a better sense of his obsessions/possibilities

UnitedFire

The biggest surprise would be him getting off on charges of rape, assault and threat to kill. Another surprise is that some fans still have a hope that he’s going to play again next season.
We need to be careful of talking about case specifics given its ongoing but generically...

When you consider the seriousness of rape and threats to kill you would have to assume that in such cases bail would not be granted if there was a material threat to the public. If this doesn't exist it suggests the current evidence is not strong enough to back the most serious offences. The initial arrest and ongoing bail related to this suggests there is still the openness/ theory that evidence could confirm this.

Otherwise assault aspects might be what requires more evidence, I.e. some proof of how injuries are sustained, rather than an accusation.

In either case, if there was a strong and serious enough case already you would expect charges to be forthcoming at that point, as this may also trigger the threat to public aspects.

Where there is a case with a high degree of confidence of a crime being committed, but a need for more evidence to make it stick this could very much be a reason for a bail to keep going onwards.

A high profile case with a wealthier individual might be a reason for an investigation to be extended. Ordinarily the police may have concluded that there is insufficient evidence, as they don't have unlimited resources or will go with what they have as a lower success rate case. A wealthier individual is likely to have the resources to win such a case. Sad but true and thus the burden of evidence will be higher.

A police officer has told me directly of a domestic incident involving three individuals (two guys and a girl) where the girl was murdered, the two guys accused each other and there was insufficient evidence to prove who did it. Both were free. So even in far more extreme situations a 100% known confirmed criminal can get away with a crime purely based on not being able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that a crime either happened or could be pointed to one individual.

The longer a case goes on the longer you have to wonder if there is enough evidence, but also you have to assume there is plenty of suspicion thus a desire to find the slam dunk evidence. Where that evidence is not forthcoming the cloud that comes with that might be hard for someone high profile to recover from.

But anyway my point was it would be a surprise regardless of outcome. If there is a charge I'd be very surprised if it is even possible to play again this season as I'm sure the case timing would be extensive. No idea what kind of time frame this might be.

If there is no charge its a hugely sticky situation for the club to consider, but with a generational talent (and employment/ contract laws) you have to suspect the benefit of the doubt and innocent until proven guilty would be the stance. I'd hate to be the Board making a call on how to deal with that. One of those situations you'd hope to never face in your career.

golden_blunder

Staff
We need to be careful of talking about case specifics given its ongoing but generically...

When you consider the seriousness of rape and threats to kill you would have to assume that in such cases bail would not be granted if there was a material threat to the public. If this doesn't exist it suggests the current evidence is not strong enough to back the most serious offences. The initial arrest and ongoing bail related to this suggests there is still the openness/ theory that evidence could confirm this.

Otherwise assault aspects might be what requires more evidence, I.e. some proof of how injuries are sustained, rather than an accusation.

In either case, if there was a strong and serious enough case already you would expect charges to be forthcoming at that point, as this may also trigger the threat to public aspects.

Where there is a case with a high degree of confidence of a crime being committed, but a need for more evidence to make it stick this could very much be a reason for a bail to keep going onwards.

A high profile case with a wealthier individual might be a reason for an investigation to be extended. Ordinarily the police may have concluded that there is insufficient evidence, as they don't have unlimited resources or will go with what they have as a lower success rate case. A wealthier individual is likely to have the resources to win such a case. Sad but true and thus the burden of evidence will be higher.

A police officer has told me directly of a domestic incident involving three individuals (two guys and a girl) where the girl was murdered, the two guys accused each other and there was insufficient evidence to prove who did it. Both were free. So even in far more extreme situations a 100% known confirmed criminal can get away with a crime purely based on not being able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that a crime either happened or could be pointed to one individual.

The longer a case goes on the longer you have to wonder if there is enough evidence, but also you have to assume there is plenty of suspicion thus a desire to find the slam dunk evidence. Where that evidence is not forthcoming the cloud that comes with that might be hard for someone high profile to recover from.

But anyway my point was it would be a surprise regardless of outcome. If there is a charge I'd be very surprised if it is even possible to play again this season as I'm sure the case timing would be extensive. No idea what kind of time frame this might be.

If there is no charge its a hugely sticky situation for the club to consider, but with a generational talent (and employment/ contract laws) you have to suspect the benefit of the doubt and innocent until proven guilty would be the stance. I'd hate to be the Board making a call on how to deal with that. One of those situations you'd hope to never face in your career.
I don’t think he will be playing this coming season either way.
my personal feeling is that if he gets convicted he gets fired straight away.
If he gets off i suspect it’s on a technicality or the girl doesn’t want to push charges. In which case the club will possibly come to an agreement for release with him and he buggers off abroad to try and build some kind of career
I personally don’t envisage seeing him turn out for united again, for various reasons including bad PR, morals, and sponsor pressure

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
If he gets off i suspect it’s on a technicality or the girl doesn’t want to push charges. In which case the club will possibly come to an agreement for release with him and he buggers off abroad to try and build some kind of career
I personally don’t envisage seeing him turn out for united again, for various reasons including bad PR, morals, and sponsor pressure
He can't possibly play for us again surely. I would personally feel disgusted at the club and would absolutely question my support of the team.

golden_blunder

Staff
He can't possibly play for us again surely. I would personally feel disgusted at the club and would absolutely question my support of the team.
I agree with you. But there appears to be a section of our fans who can’t wait to get him back in the team. United over everything it seems

Maticmaker

The player who everyday turns up for training at 9.00am, eats his lunch with the rest of them, stays behind practicing (whatever he needs to do), does exactly what he's told, when he's told, and calls ETH 'boss'. Keeps his mouth shut outside the club, respects his elders, gives everything when he steps over that white line!

Oh yes and he's good to his mother!!

UnitedFire

If convicted in court then yes for sure he'll be fired and probably sued under terms of his contract.

Getting off will be lack of evidence. Photos needing substantiation and voice clip arguably only passing harassment thresholds. I.e. rapey suggestion rather than action.

The pushing charges aspect is less relevant. The law has been changed. As soon as domestic violence or the like is reported there is no ability to withdraw charges, but naturally these cases still struggle without a key witness.

I'm sure there are plenty of technical aspects as well with the very public leak of evidence.

Whilst I don't doubt the commercial risk of him continuing you have to ask how different it is to Ronaldo. The latter clearly being allowed the benefit of the doubt.

Thiagoal

I’ve really got a strong vibe that Shola Shoretire is going to really come to prominence this year. I think that he’s played above his age group since like U11’s so has somewhat gone under the radar! He has all the attributes to be a ETH player.

golden_blunder

Staff
If convicted in court then yes for sure he'll be fired and probably sued under terms of his contract.

Getting off will be lack of evidence. Photos needing substantiation and voice clip arguably only passing harassment thresholds. I.e. rapey suggestion rather than action.

The pushing charges aspect is less relevant. The law has been changed. As soon as domestic violence or the like is reported there is no ability to withdraw charges, but naturally these cases still struggle without a key witness.

I'm sure there are plenty of technical aspects as well with the very public leak of evidence.

Whilst I don't doubt the commercial risk of him continuing you have to ask how different it is to Ronaldo. The latter clearly being allowed the benefit of the doubt.
I don’t really know enough about the Ronaldo case but from what I’ve read, including an apology from him.. I’d better not comment in public what I think..

MG will be a very lucky boy to play football again but if he does I bet it won’t be for us.. or in England

NLunited

McTominay will be Ten Hag‘s Fellaini. A Midfield destroyer. He‘ll get coached to make better decisions/use his brain.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I agree with you. But there appears to be a section of our fans who can’t wait to get him back in the team. United over everything it seems
There's a lot of fans who still hold Giggs in high esteem because he put the years in for United. Just sayin'.

dinostar77

Donny. Will link up with frenkie again and start purring. Goals and assists aglore amongst the endless 1-2s

Annouchez

The Harry Maguire we paid 80 million for.

We’ve all been waiting for a glimpse.

All of us.

Well not all.

Most have given up to be fair.

So I lied. But a small percentage are still waiting.

Some less patiently than others.

Hoping that one day… one day… he might finally show up to work.

EtH

Ugh. This just reminded me of my username and what it stands for. “Mason van Greenwood.” I was his biggest fan but I want him nowhere near the club now. Bizarre that anyone could feel differently but then not exactly surprising either.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Maguire. But it will only be a surprise to the muppets here who think they know more about football than they actually do. Those of us who actually know a thing or two about this game also know that he will be the first name on the team sheet when it comes to our back 4...

golden_blunder

Staff
Ugh. This just reminded me of my username and what it stands for. “Mason van Greenwood.” I was his biggest fan but I want him nowhere near the club now. Bizarre that anyone could feel differently but then not exactly surprising either.
Pm me, given the circumstances I’ll change it for you