Who will be United's big signing this summer?

Wombatking

Eriksen. I know he would cost a ton, but I think he would be perfect. In a midfield 3 with Pogba and Matic, covering the right flank and allowing our right-sided attacker to drift in (what they all do and do best: Lingard, Mata, Sanchez ;) ). He has a mean cross and A. Pereira could be his understudy.

patty123

Considering this is a World Cup year, it might very well be that United buys one (or more) of the players who will absolutely shine during the tournament - someone who might be totally out of the loop now
I was thinking the same, as lets be honest who knew of JR prior last WC and can those saying Kane leaving out the fact the lad himself has said its not about money, its playing and his dream of staying there for life like a giggsy, gerrard, now never mind all that, so explain why Levy would sell his best player the year they are opening their new ground having no doubt use kane to sell his corporate boxes etc

Mr Smith

I was thinking the same, as lets be honest who knew of JR prior last WC and can those saying Kane leaving out the fact the lad himself has said its not about money, its playing and his dream of staying there for life like a giggsy, gerrard, now never mind all that, so explain why Levy would sell his best player the year they are opening their new ground having no doubt use kane to sell his corporate boxes etc
Almost everyone paying attention to that stuff new of James. In fact, Fergie even tried to sign him once when he was at Porto!

I'm a bit mistrustful of signing someone just because they explode at a world cup tbh. I remember thinking Memphis looked outstanding for the Netherlands for instance. Not to say you won't get some hits, but you'll get some misses too.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Providing Sanchez signs I'm not sure if I see a Lukaku (75m) or Pogba (89m) type signing this summer. One would imagine if we do add another attacking player it would be Ozil on a free rather than a Dybala or Griezmann. I suspect with seemingly both Fellaini and Carrick on their way 2 midfielders will be brought in but I doubt either would cost as much as 70m. A RB or LB could be targeted but again I cant see the price being over 50m for that either

I see our spending being over 200m in the summer but spread across 4 or 5 signings rather than just 2 or 3

AgentP

If we get Sanchez and Luke Shaw holds down the left back spot, we'll be in a comfortable position in the summer. Most of our starting spots would be sorted out with just a few holes to be filled.

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Jones Shaw
Matic Pogba
Sanchez Lingard Martial
Lukaku

The players in bold do not need to be upgraded. Lingard and Shaw have half a season to seal their spot. Valencia will be 33 when next season starts. So we might need an able deputy to take over.

We might sign a No.10 like Ozil or another midfielder instead of Lingard if he doesn't maintain his current form. Shaw and Young can share the LB role if all goes well. Else Rose or Ghoulam might be a good option. We'll need a new RB since Darmian won't cut it.

Players that could possibly leave this summer are Darmian, Mkhi, Blind and Fellaini. I wouldn't be surprised if we decide to sell Mata and Herrera as well.

Klopp_De_Klown

Has to be a center mid.

I know he wants to play Pog and Matic as a 2 but it done work. Maybe when sanchez comes it will open up more space to allow him to dominate the space.

But I think you get Fabinho, play Fabinho and Matic in the engine room.

Valencia Fabinho Matic Young
_________Pogba
___Lukaku ____Sanchez

Thats with a back 3, there is 433 and and 4231 just above

Green_Red

Loads of people knew about James Rodriguez before the last world cup. Ferguson turned down the opportunity to sign him 2 years before it sure, rightly. United rarely buy post tournament. More likely we'll get our business done early so playerw can focus on the tournament and join up with the pre season early.

goin4glory

The only thing I do know is I trust Mourinho with transfers 10x more than Moyes or LVG, give him what he wants and a title is inevitable.

Green_Red

Providing Sanchez signs I'm not sure if I see a Lukaku (75m) or Pogba (89m) type signing this summer. One would imagine if we do add another attacking player it would be Ozil on a free rather than a Dybala or Griezmann. I suspect with seemingly both Fellaini and Carrick on their way 2 midfielders will be brought in but I doubt either would cost as much as 70m. A RB or LB could be targeted but again I cant see the price being over 50m for that either

I see our spending being over 200m in the summer but spread across 4 or 5 signings rather than just 2 or 3
Do you think we'll see the inclusion of Periera in the squad next season? I reckon he deserves a chance. I seen someone mention Erikson but I think Pereira has the potential to be even better than that.

RU Devil

Do you think we'll see the inclusion of Periera in the squad next season? I reckon he deserves a chance. I seen someone mention Erikson but I think Pereira has the potential to be even better than that.
Potential is a dangerous word. For sure, he's on the cusp getting in the squad next season, but I'm not sanguine about his prospects with us. He & Jose don't seem to be on the same page and that means he's off.

Inter Yer Nan

Depends on how Sanchez fits in and how well we play from an attacking and finishing perspective. If we are scoring at a better rate and putting games to bed and gain points on City, go deep in Europe I think it will be Ozil, a new midfielder (have no idea who but probably someone on the way up) and perhaps a defender (left back possibly). If we stay around 12-15 points off the top and are out by the last 8 in Europe I think we'll perhaps get Griezmann on top of that.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Harry Kane.

We lost out on Shearer the first time around, no chance we're going to lose out on his clone as well. Kane to United, it's on!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Center mid definitely what we need. Ideally a pogba type player but on the right side of the 3. Obviously not that level, but talented on the ball, creative and hopefully can control games to let pogba push more or he himself pushes up more, so we get a good balance. No idea who we'll go for, but there are options out there. Fred, Seri, Kovacic, milinkovic-savic, etc. Probably another midfielder as squad player on top of this since Carrick and fellaini are leaving, though Andreas Pereira might just get that role.

After that we need to think long term for right back, probably someone who can split games with Valencia before replacing him fully. After that, it's just buying when we sell. If we get ozil, then Mata likely gone. Things like that.

Klopp_De_Klown

Who will make a, Summer 2018 outs and ins, thread? Not a wish list, a list of them that Will almost 100% leave and who best to replace them. As Jose admits he wants 22 players so he will keep a balance. Its only a matter of time im guessing

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
If we get Sanchez and Luke Shaw holds down the left back spot, we'll be in a comfortable position in the summer. Most of our starting spots would be sorted out with just a few holes to be filled.

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Jones Shaw
Matic Pogba
Sanchez
Lingard Martial
Lukaku

The players in bold do not need to be upgraded. Lingard and Shaw have half a season to seal their spot. Valencia will be 33 when next season starts. So we might need an able deputy to take over.

We might sign a No.10 like Ozil or another midfielder instead of Lingard if he doesn't maintain his current form. Shaw and Young can share the LB role if all goes well. Else Rose or Ghoulam might be a good option. We'll need a new RB since Darmian won't cut it.

Players that could possibly leave this summer are Darmian, Mkhi, Blind and Fellaini. I wouldn't be surprised if we decide to sell Mata and Herrera as well.
Definitely need an upgrade on Lukaku.

Devil may care

Unless Jose keeps on trying to force 4-2-3-1 instead of letting Pogba flourish I am not sure there wil be a true mega signing if we get Sanchez over the line. I'm sure we'd pay the €100M+ for a Kroos/Verratti/Thiago but none their clubs would sell. I hope we'll see a more modest but still fairly large sum splashed on a high quality playmaking CM as our big summer buy.

Saf94

Need to play him to his strengths and not expect him to be Pogba
How about we give him time, you know like more than 4 months?

People forget even Pogba was struggling last season, a lot of people were claiming he wasn’t doing enough to to justify his price tag.

Literally people can’t see things not in black and white. Lukaku played at a mid table club for most of his career, that it will take him some time to adapt to a huge club with massive expectations is not crazy

Nuts

Our defence is seriously lacking some absolute beasts.

If Mourinho signs the extension he’s got to build the team in his image and too many of our defenders don’t fit that - Shaw, Smalling, Jones, Blind and Darmian should all be sold and replaced with proper Mourinho signings.

Bailly and Valencia (surprisingly in the latter’s case) look the part and should stay.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Our defence is seriously lacking some absolute beasts.

If Mourinho signs the extension he’s got to build the team in his image and too many of our defenders don’t fit that - Shaw, Smalling, Jones, Blind and Darmian should all be sold and replaced with proper Mourinho signings.

Bailly and Valencia (surprisingly in the latter’s case) look the part and should stay.
Apart from Jones (who I think is decent cover), agree on rest. I seem to be in minority when it comes to Smalling, don't rate him at all.

IAmAWinner

Our defence is joint best in the league, so I rather we not sell Jones and Smalling who have played the most minutes in defence.

An Irish Red

We just need that final piece in our attack now; which will either be a number ten or a central midfielder depending on which system we will be playing.

The Sanchez deal is brilliant not just because of his quality but also because the low price of it leaves us with a big budget to get the best available player to round out the attack as well. Good times.

L1nk

Pulisic, if he moves at the end of the season, im hoping he stays in Dortmund for a few more seasons though as he is only 19 and then we bag him, but if Liverpool try for him and reports are to be believed we'll match any attempt to sign him then he will probably, hopefully, be the big signing.

Baring that, you'd have to say someone like Kovacic or Saul Niguez would be a great big signing in the summer.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Fellaini 's height needs to be replaced and hence I think we will go for Fabinho or SMS.

Is Laporte any good this year ? If yes, just trigger the release clause and and sign him.

70m on Laporte , 40-50m on SMS / Fabinho and a young midfielder with lot of potential to replace Carrick