Who will dominate the Premier League?

MDFC Manager

They are against the closed shop nature of ESL and the dynamic lack of european qualification creates for the league.
That's an interesting point which i didn't consider. That certainly will affect things in the leagues.

Uniquim

Wont the Premier league remain the same? I thought this was taking place instead of the Champions league in mid week games?
Well those 6 group games + first knockout round of 2 legs (8 games) will turn into 18 games, with the QFs forward staying the same. 4th & 5th places SL teams will play-off. So there's an additional 10 games. So something will have to give, because that puts teams into a Brazilian football number of games.

And if the Super League is the prioritized and bigger competition, and there's no incentive for top four any longer once you fall out of the title race, that means resting players in the Premier League competition. It does devalue the competition even if the SL teams get to stay.

Roboc7

Premier League have to kick them out, no other option. Better to have a competitive League with risks and rewards, especially as a contrast to Super League. Let likes of Leicester, Villa, Everton compete for title rather than make up numbers.

Bwuk

Premier League should kick them out but they won't.

The gap at the top will get even wider.

CG1010

There is no way FA will kick out 6 of its top teams. And even if they took a principled stance, I believe it will run the risk of being deemed as anti-competitive by authorities.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Premier League have to kick them out, no other option. Better to have a competitive League with risks and rewards, especially as a contrast to Super League. Let likes of Leicester, Villa, Everton compete for title rather than make up numbers.
Not a chance they kick out their golden geese.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
In this parallel universe Everton would probably be best placed with the new stadium move coming up.
Why do people always think this with stadiums? Arsenal and Tottenham have recently showed that fuelling loads of money into stadiums takes it away from the playing cast.

troylocker

Why do you think the 6 will be allowed to play in the PL? Where's the punishment in that?
Because a PL without the "big 6" will have no sales value. People would lose interest in it from day 1. Same with Serie A and La Liga.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
Why do you think the 6 will be allowed to play in the PL? Where's the punishment in that?
It's disgraceful. The other teams need to come together and refuse to play against these 6 teams. They will never recover from this otherwise

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
God bless you for thinking there’s any sort of future for a PL that replaces Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea with Barnsley, Millwall and Brentford. How are you going to market that?

At least the Championship is a high quality league football-wise. Serie A struggles to get any sort of quality from Serie B.

POF

It's an interesting dilemma for the major leagues. In my opinion, they have to kick them out or they will just hand over the running of the competitions to those clubs. Not doing so will set a dangerous precedent.

No matter how much money the new league has, having a product with an overall total of 15 teams will lead to a boring stagnant product. Having a 45-50 game season in a competition of 15 clubs will get stupidly repetitive.

This is also really bad for United. Their advantage over recent years has been the ability to outspend everyone else due to the commercial juggernaut the club is. Levelling that playing field just means the well run clubs will be more successful. That's not United unfortunately.

I can see the appeal for Spanish and Italian clubs in going down this path. Their leagues aren't particularly lucrative. But, this could kill the EPL which is a massive cash cow.

Robertd0803

I can totally see the benefit in the Premier League kicking out United and Liverpool its two globally largest fanbases. Even before you add the other 4 teams, removing United and Liverpool would be a death knell for tv rights and all the rest of it.

POF

I can totally see the benefit in the Premier League kicking out United and Liverpool its two globally largest fanbases. Even before you add the other 4 teams, removing United and Liverpool would be a death knell for tv rights and all the rest of it.
But what's the alternative? Allow them to stay despite the fact that they blatantly broke the competition rules. Doing that would just allow them (with the huge $$$ boost they get from the super league) to dictate how the competition is run and dominate it season after season.

They then have even more power and can effectively hold the EPL to ransom at any point.

The only thing the EPL has going for it now is that it's really difficult for these 15 teams to have a competition with a 45-50 game season without domestic football. If they accept this, in the not too distant future, those clubs will run the super league and have decision making control over the EPL also.

Theo Cherry

Burnley - with no top teams left, English top tier football will regress back to it's long-ball, shithouse roots, *enters Sean Dyche and his pub team hoof-ball comrades!*

Robertd0803

But what's the alternative? Allow them to stay despite the fact that they blatantly broke the competition rules. Doing that would just allow them (with the huge $$$ boost they get from the super league) to dictate how the competition is run and dominate it season after season.

They then have even more power and can effectively hold the EPL to ransom at any point.

The only thing the EPL has going for it now is that it's really difficult for these 15 teams to have a competition with a 45-50 game season without domestic football. If they accept this, in the not too distant future, those clubs will run the super league and have decision making control over the EPL also.
They are screwed in either case I think.
Either your scenario happens and the EPL really is just a puppet show and the clubs hold the power or the EPL get a massive shock when tv broadcasters refuse to pay billions for the likes of West Ham vs Burnley and the value of the league as a commercial entity plummets.

Try have Sky hype that particular fixture with the same over the top crap they do for Utd v Liverpool for example.

stevoc

Theres a lot of balls in the air right now. A lot of it is knee jerk, and we'll have to wait for the dust to settle to get an accurate read on the situation. But so far, no one is happy. Even our own M.U.S.T put out a release condemning the club for taking part in this. The big six are only big because of the following they have. If the fans dont back this, who will be buying those Sky subs anyway?

If you remove the big six, another six will come along to take their place. Its the natural order of things. This idea that the PL or the other leagues cant survive without the big six is a lot like the indyref nonsense people used to spew. "The big companies will leave!". So? There will always be others. The big six might look irreplaceable right now. But it wasnt that long ago that we were only talking about the big 4. I would love to see us and the rest getting booted out of the respective leagues, and watch all the players jump ship so they can play for their countries again. Money might not be as good, but theyll still be raking it in.

Seriously, I would love to see Glazer and the other pricks put in their place over this. I would love it. But I cant say youre wrong. Money does in talk. And as we all know, the FA et al are all money whores. So who knows, but it will be interesting to see who blinks first.
Yeah another 6 will replace them but the new 6 won't have as many fans as United or Liverpool combined, probably not even Chelsea or Arsenal. All United and Liverpool fans aren't suddenly going to support Leicester and Everton, sadly most fans won't give a feck. Just like most wouldn't give a feck if their club was bought out by a human rights abusing dictatorship.

But the big 4 are still part of the 6, City have made it in because of billions worth of investment and Spurs well I'm still trying to work that one out.

Flyer1

Supports
City
God bless you for thinking there’s any sort of future for a PL that replaces Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea with Barnsley, Millwall and Brentford. How are you going to market that?

At least the Championship is a high quality league football-wise. Serie A struggles to get any sort of quality from Serie B.
Celtic and rangers would add interest but I would think they are being lined up for the super league.

stevoc

There is another option the one they will almost certainly take. They'll just cave in and try to negotiate some compromises.

The PL without United and Liverpool plus the other clubs (and Spurs) isn't a league that broadcasters are shelling out £5b to buy the rights for.

POF

They are screwed in either case I think.
Either your scenario happens and the EPL really is just a puppet show and the clubs hold the power or the EPL get a massive shock when tv broadcasters refuse to pay billions for the likes of West Ham vs Burnley and the value of the league as a commercial entity plummets.

Try have Sky hype that particular fixture with the same over the top crap they do for Utd v Liverpool for example.
I agree. But this is a massive power play and these 6 clubs will run the EPL if they are allowed to stay. The only option the EPL has is to go hard back and hope enough of them bottle out (while the realistic threat of no domestic football makes a difference) to make the competition untenable.

Kicking them out now or handing them control of the league are their 2 options.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Yeah another 6 will replace them but the new 6 won't have as many fans as United or Liverpool combined, probably not even Chelsea or Arsenal. All United and Liverpool fans aren't suddenly going to support Leicester and Everton, sadly most fans won't give a feck. Just like most wouldn't give a feck if their club was bought out by a human rights abusing dictatorship.

But the big 4 are still part of the 6, City have made it in because of billions worth of investment and Spurs well I'm still trying to work that one out.
:lol: I dont think theres an unscratched head in the country when it comes to that one.

shahzy

Because the PL for how 'outraged' they want optics to be seen, they know they are nothing without the top 6. Their revenue will plummetvand tv deals will be halfed.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Don't kick them out, just dock all 6 teams 50 points right now. Have fun promoting your fancy Super League when half of you are in the Championship.

Then so long as the Super League is a thing, teams competing in it start with -30 points. I mean they want a "challenge" right?

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Well those 6 group games + first knockout round of 2 legs (8 games) will turn into 18 games, with the QFs forward staying the same. 4th & 5th places SL teams will play-off. So there's an additional 10 games. So something will have to give, because that puts teams into a Brazilian football number of games.

And if the Super League is the prioritized and bigger competition, and there's no incentive for top four any longer once you fall out of the title race, that means resting players in the Premier League competition. It does devalue the competition even if the SL teams get to stay.
This is sickening. Imposters buying our clubs and ruining our football culture.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The premier league will be dominated by the super league clubs, the difference in revenue will just be staggering and the none super league clubs will just fall away.

POF

I found it strange that it was 6 EPL teams and only 3 from the other 2 nations. But thinking about it more, I think that was the number of teams from each league where they felt the league wouldn't be able to function without them . . . . . and Spurs.

These teams need the domestic leagues to run concurrently with this competition. If the leagues want to stop this, throwing them out is their only play.

RoyH1

I found it strange that it was 6 EPL teams and only 3 from the other 2 nations. But thinking about it more, I think that was the number of teams from each league where they felt the league wouldn't be able to function without them . . . . . and Spurs.

These teams need the domestic leagues to run concurrently with this competition. If the leagues want to stop this, throwing them out is their only play.
I agree. But it becomes the biggest game of chicken seen in sports history. While the English league could probably survive (albeit with a much smaller economic base), La Liga simply cannot operate without their Big 3.

Born2Lose

It won't matter because no one will be paying to watch Everton vs Leicester, it will become as inconsequential as the Championship is now.

Look what happened to the SPL once they kicked out Rangers.

PL will fold or die, there's no way the greedy owners of Leicester or West Ham will want to give up the golden goose.

Roboc7

There is another option the one they will almost certainly take. They'll just cave in and try to negotiate some compromises.

The PL without United and Liverpool plus the other clubs (and Spurs) isn't a league that broadcasters are shelling out £5b to buy the rights for.
No one is going to pay that with or without them if the Super League goes ahead, Premier League would be much better without them in this scenario.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's an interesting point which i didn't consider. That certainly will affect things in the leagues.
That's arguably the most damaging issue. In the context of the PL it means that 6 teams have at least 300m more every years than the rest and with the amount of games involved, those teams could need larger squads and have the means to pillage the rest of the league who have no way to ever get those 300m themselves.

stevoc

No one is going to pay that with or without them if the Super League goes ahead, Premier League would be much better without them in this scenario.
The PL rights are already on a downward trajectory. But all I'm saying is whatever the next deal potentially is, it would be worth much less without the top 6 involved.

Roboc7

The PL rights are already on a downward trajectory. But all I'm saying is whatever the next deal potentially is, it would be worth much less without the top 6 involved.
The rights will nose dive if this goes ahead either way. I actually think the Premier League as a competition would be more marketable without them now if this goes ahead.

Matthew84!

Well hopefully they get kicked out, Leicester or Everton will do well, perhaps even West ham, people saying it won't be the same, obviously but let's be honest its been boring for a while, imagine the scenes if West ham or Everton finally win,
Every other club should be hoping they get kicked out,

stevoc

The rights will nose dive if this goes ahead either way. I actually think the Premier League as a competition would be more marketable without them now if this goes ahead.
No chance, most fans won't care