Who will win the Premier League?

RobertoBaggio99

Don't see us winning it. Chances are City and Liverpool will start playing like City and Liverpool again and United will start playing like United. Close between those two but City has the psychological advantage and squad depth so City.

Chipper

Adulterer.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

That's probably about right. Though I think we may be worth more than 73 points.
Just for a bit of comparison:

Spreadex

Sporting Index

Explanation:
Spread betting prices. The market currently predicts that teams will get between the low number and the high number of points. If you thought a team would get more than their high number, you 'buy' them. If you thought a team would get lower than their low number you 'sell' them. The more you are right by (if you're right), the more you win, the more you're wrong by (if you're wrong), the more you can lose.

Suppose current prices are always a bit of a 'wisdom of the crowds' kind of thing, what people are expecting overall, plus an element of what the company might expect (moreso when the market is first setup) plus maybe an element of trying to lure people one way or distance them from another position. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but then if they were obviously wrong people would jump in and exploit the current situation, which in turn would cause the prices to change to something more realistic. They're always going to be fairly sensible.

Last edited:

Shimo

Think it will be City. Their defense has really picked up and the seem to be getting their normal slick football back on track. If they get Aguero back to even 70% of his previous impact, they will win most of their game here on out.

Liverpool I think will be up and down and because of their CB issues, will always be there for the taking.

Us - we are on a great run - we've had a lot of corners turned in the past but, then all of a sudden we go on a few game bad run. Pessimist in me thinks that is bound to happen some point again. I'd be far more confident if between Martial, Rashford, Greenwood and Cavani were scoring more regularly. If they get going like they did post lockdown, then would put money on us.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
City will win it. They have the deepest squad and are currently so well organised defensively that they should be able to best most of the lesser teams and avoid defeat against the challengers which should be enough to win it in a season with a low points champion.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
City are favorites, but i do believe we have a chance. Our form over the last calendar year has been fantastic, and at the moment we're right up there.

I feel like we're getting better, Bailly has made our back line better and Pogba picking up form is huge. Now we need our forwards to start showing up.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
It’s a toss up, city aren’t scoring freely, but are defending.

We are stop start with the scoring but potentially have a higher up side than city in that area, our defence started poorly, but since Bailly got in, its performing much better, our midfield will be what wins us or loses us the league, if Pogba plays like he wants it every week I can’t see us losing it, especially as it doesn’t make us 1 dimensional being Bruno United. Also if we can stop with these tippi tappi headers at corners and clear the ball well out of the box in 1 go instead of 3 or 4 attempts that would be great.

Liverpool has the best offence going, things have gone to shit for them since Jota went down without that option from the bench, but they will improve in that area, it’s there defence that’s going to cost them the league, any team in there right mind would attack Trent all day long, Matip is a sick note waiting to happen which leaves then playing kids at the back, Robertson is the best left back in the league though

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me it depends on Woodward still.

After nearly 8 years we are finally competing for the title, if he doesnt back Ole in the transfer market to a good January standard then its acceptable that Ole falls off.

We have significant gaps in our squad that city dont have.

Ole also is using a different quality of player in my opinion, players that he has improved, players that at one moment were deemed not good enough for United.

For example, what happens if Woodward doesnt allow Ole to buy a new CB and Bailly gets injured and Lindelof gets back in the starting line up?

We may still be good and competitive for the title - but Lindelof's defensive ability on set pieces could turn just one decisive match from a win to a draw and that could be the end of our title run.

Nori-

I still feel like we are 2/3 players off a title winning team.

My prediction is we will fall off the pace a little, City are going to keep getting better, they will win it. 2nd will be a thrown up between us and LFC.

Not ideal but I'd take City winning it over LFC any day of the week.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If you win this weekend you’ll gain a lot of confidence moving forward.

Raredaredevil

If we win the title under Ole this season, I will take back everything negative I said about him and will never ever complain about him again. Realistically, I don't see us going all the way. I'm going with Liverpool. Their unbeatable home form will get them through the finishing line and they are City's nemesis. I'm still not convinced by City. They are too inconsistent and Pep hasn't come back to win a title after losing. Maybe this might be his first.

@Wumminator can you please tell everyone how they are supposed to respond to this thread in order to be proper supporters?

I feel we need your guidance, should we all say "we'll win it", or should be all be reserved. I just don't know how to support the right way I'm afraid.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
@Wumminator can you please tell everyone how they are supposed to respond to this thread in order to be proper supporters?

I feel we need your guidance, should we all say "we'll win it", or should be all be reserved. I just don't know how to support the right way I'm afraid.
At the moment we are allowed to get excited but not overly cocky. Anyone who has said we’ve got no chance or that we’re definitely going to win it should be flogged.

Mike Smalling

City seem to be gaining momentum at the right time and have a squad depth that Liverpool and United can't compete with. They are clear favorites in my opinion.

Judas

Open to offers
I think City will win it, but we'll be there or thereabouts for the rest of the season. We're without a doubt in the conversation, and if we win at the weekend, the feeling and belief in the squad that it is very much on could make a big difference.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I really have a feeling that we'll win. I don't think Liverpool will win because of their injuries and also their playing ability has gone down, might see some changes in the summer. City are looking better than before but I like our form as well, everyone is starting to click and gel well. Maybe I'm being hopeful :D

Every other league is going through a strange season, Bayern are the only defending champion amongst the top 5 leagues to be leading this season and I think it will remain till the end of the season (PSG will likely win theirs but England, Spain and Italy will get new champions).

caid

I think City. I think their lowest level is probably close to our highest level and it'd be very hard to finish ahead of them in the best case scenario. They were ominously good against us in the semi final too. I'd fancy our chances a lot more if it was just Liverpool, who'll probably finish ahead of us too.

DRM

Agree with most on here, think City will win it. They have the experience, the pedigree, the manager (no this is not a dig on Ole btw).

I don't think we'll be able to sustain our form for the entire season, plus the top 6 is so tightly packed, a couple of bad results and we're down in 4th all of a sudden. We also have to play Liverpool, city, spurs, Chelsea and arsenal away! Tough ask

padr81

Supports
Man City
Last week Pep was a fraud and Klopp going to win by 100pts. People need to chill, I'd say we are marginal favourites but anyone of 3 teams could do it (United and liverpool) and I still see Spurs as a major dark horse particularly if they can turn over Liverpool and Chelsea back to back.

boxykronikle

Last week Pep was a fraud and Klopp going to win by 100pts. People need to chill, I'd say we are marginal favourites but anyone of 3 teams could do it (United and liverpool) and I still see Spurs as a major dark horse particularly if they can turn over Liverpool and Chelsea back to back.
I agree with this. Why do our fans have a little bit more of faith in the team. Ole has done very well.

Liverpool is where they at because of their attacking prowess has somewhat became dull. Not because of VVD missing.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It is the habit of many a football fan to focus on recent form only. It was only recently that Chelsea were looking good for a title and Spurs were going to challenge strongly. Things change very quickly

The reason I say that is because I'm still not getting a 'vintage City' feeling from them whenever I watch them. Having them as strong favourites isn't really justified - yet. I have them as being less likely to lose but more likely to draw at the moment, and Pep is clearly setting up a team for the CL this season.

United are in with a really good shout because we have been consistently winning the games we should win. Better than anybody else. City can only stop us from winning 3 more points this season. If we carry on achieving the PPG consistency that we have been for a year now, we'll be tough to overtake.

Yakuza_devils

To win the title we need luck and all stars to align.

Hope Bailey will stay fit and our strikers find form soon.

This season we created many chances but our strikers were wasteful. For defence, without Bailey our defence is suspect.

El Zoido

City. We will run out of gas like we did towards the end of last season, but I’m just happy our name is even in the mix.

Olecurls99

We've done great to be top but I think Sheikh City have the most talent and have done for about 10 years now. I reckon they'll be the best at collecting the 3 points week in week out.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Still no poll :(

For the record I'm still going with the scousers

Bulldog United

City are the deserved favorites with the bookies. They are defensively very good this year, and offensively they are still capable of turning it on when it really matters.

My mates laughed at me when i said we'd finish ahead of Liverpool this season. They are not laughing so much right now, but it could still easily change.

I want:
1st United
2nd Tottenham
3rd Leicester
4th Southampton

I think:
1st City
2nd United
3rd Liverpool
4th Tottenham

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bookmakers have city as big favourites now. Can’t look past them right now. I really hope we can keep going though.

Mr Smith

I'm in the minority here, but I'm not at all convinced by City just yet. They've improved significantly from last season and the start of this season, but they're still struggling for goals and too reliant on their plan A. I think there are a lot of sides in the league capable of taking points off them. I think Liverpool are also more capable of grinding out wins and putting a run together. I've said from the start that I think we won't win the league, though if we beat Liverpool convincingly I could waver...

For the moment though, I feel it is going to be the dippers.

RobertoBaggio99

City wins this one but I'll happily take that over seeing our actual rivals lifting it. Things are looking promising but the way we are all making a scene over sitting 1st with 21 games remaining just shows how unlikely we are to win it. If we really fancied our chances we wouldn't have obsessed over the current situation like this. With that said, for the first time since 16/17 I feel confident that we're just one or two realistic summer-signings away from being title-favourites. Hate to say this but next year might just be our year.

Reactions: Sultan

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Anyone changed their mind after the weekend?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
City will win it, hope we can put up a good challenge though and let us dream longer!

SER19

City should win it, they have the experience and guardiolas money bazooka seems to have landed on solution in Dias. Their squad is very deep, with their reserve bench more expensive than the rest of the leagues starting defence, so they can have complete rests in cups etc. That's why they breeze to the league Cup each year.

Really happy with where we are but we will hit a rough patch again im sure and top 4 close to the top is still a more realistic aim.

Spurs are a dark horse still, I think mourinho will be believing he can get 80pts