Who will win the World Cup?

Who do you think will win the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
England will never have a better chance and for a change I think they can win the midfield battle in a game like this.
I really dont see it, i reckon France dominate the ball and England hang in there for long periods.

Canagel

LVG could actually make the final. This WC is crazy. I would love to see him make it

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
To be honest, my opinion of Brazil is just name value hype. They get hyped every world cup. They had the same manager the last world cup when they lost to Belgium who was nowhere near the best. I don't see anything to suggest they've changed drastically and are now as good as the European elite.
Woofed on Germany and Spain but called it right with Brazil, we'll see if I'm right on Netherlands and Argentina (predicted Netherlands to go all the way and Argentina to also flop).

stoinz

Either LVG or Messi lifting the worldcup would be fine with me.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Assuming England bottle it, let's go Portugal.

Inter Yer Nan

I do cautiously like England’s chances. Of course France is favored but not invincible. It’s not crazy to think England might win it. Fans in here wanked over a team who lost to Japan and Morocco, and one who lost to Cameroon and Croatia, and another who lost to Saudi Arabia.

Stranger things have happened.

Bobski

I really dont see it, i reckon France dominate the ball and England hang in there for long periods.
Fascinating game really, both teams excellent on the counter, if England get a hold of Griezeman(who has quietly been excellent in this tournament they can at least gain parity in midfield.

Walker and Shaw match up better than most to Mbappe and Dembele.)

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Fascinating game really, both teams excellent on the counter, if England get a hold of Griezeman(who has quietly been excellent in this tournament they can at least gain parity in midfield.

Walker and Shaw match up better than most to Mbappe and Dembele.)
It is a brilliant match up! Could easily be a worthy semi or final. England absolutely have a chance but don't see then doing it.

Red Star One

France winning it consecutively would be huge. Only happened twice and long ago - Italy ‘34 and ‘38, Brazil ‘58 and ‘62.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
It’s unbelievable that Croatia are in the semi finals and the only team they’ve beaten… is Canada. That’s some messed up shit.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Every team left in the competition has played in a World Cup final apart from Portugal and Morocco.
Doesnt really matter does it? Brazil are the record holders and just got knocked out by Croatia.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Wanted Thiago Silva to win it, now it's Messi. But the more realistic expectation is probably whoever makes the final from the other side of the KO tree. (Bar Morocco, obviously.)

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If France get past England, and it's a big if, then I see them going all the way at this point.

eire-red

I fancied France from the offset simply because they have Mbappe to decide those crucial moments. No other team has a player near him right now.

Get past England, and it's hard to look beyond them still. Would love to see them paste Argentina in the final.

croadyman

England will never have a better chance and for a change I think they can win the midfield battle in a game like this.
Still fear Mbappe,Griezmann & Dembele even if we are getting better of them in midfield

Idxomer

Champions: Argentina
Runners-up: France
Third place: Brazil

Golden Ball (MVP): Messi
Golden Boot (Most Goals): Mbappe
Most Assists: Neymar
Best Young Player: Pedri
Breakout Star: Musiala

Most Entertaining Team: Brazil
Biggest Underachievers: Portugal
Biggest Overachievers: Serbia
Not bad.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
What do we get for calling Argentina in the poll - a kenwood mixer would be very nice

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Shout out to the fellow 175 - I need one for predicting 3 winners in 4 tournaments :cool:

BorisManUtd

Champions: Argentina
Runners-up: Spain
Third place: Brazil

Golden Ball (MVP): Messi
Golden Boot (Most Goals): Martinez
Most Assists: Messi
Best Young Player: Pedri
Breakout Star: Bellingham

Most Entertaining Team: Spain
Biggest Underachievers: France
Biggest Overachievers: Serbia
Well I was right about some stuff, totally wrong about others :lol: predicted the winners and golden ball winner so happy with that.

redshaw

Argentina, Messi is going to have a great World Cup.
It was written in the stars

When I saw Messi playing well for PSG I just knew he was going to do it. What a fairytale end to the best player to appear after Diego Maradona. He lit up every game with tremendous skill and vision.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Yeah, I agree that England are massively underrated on here. Surprised with the poll as well. It's a bit strange that two South American giants (Argentina & Brazil) are given far too much respect and the European countries like England, Germany, Netherlands, France & Spain are massively underrated when the game became all about coaching & tactics today.

Argentina & Brazil both may have quality squads but I don't think their coaching is on the same level as European counterparts. I actually expect both teams to go out in Quarter Finals (Argentina to Netherlands & Brazil to Germany). Poll is far too one sided IMO.

Don't know if it's to prevent jinxing England but I really expect them to win this tournament. I'm not English but it is definitely coming home this time IMO
. The success of England at Euro 2020 and English teams in European competitions in the last 4-5 years support this too. Anyway, my predictions :

Champions: England
Runners-up: Germany
Third place: Netherlands

Golden Ball (MVP): Neymar
Golden Boot (Most Goals): Harry Kane
Most Assists: Bernardo Silva
Best Young Player: Phil Foden or Jude Bellingham
Breakout Star: Rodrygo or Bukayo Saka

Most Entertaining Team: Brazil
Biggest Underachievers: France
Biggest Overachievers: Netherlands
This one aged well. You were right about Brazil though, so there's that.

It’s bang average sprinkled with a couple of very decent players, some of which are well past their prime like ratface and Messi. The bulk of them are just decent not great, the managers a noob and there isn’t some great team ethos that makes them better than the sum of their parts. Baffling people would look at them compared to Brazil, France or Spain and tip them so heavily.
This one too.

It's for obviously insane reasons which is even more annoying.

1) It's outside of Europe in hot weather, a South American team will win it
2) Messi - it's in the stars
3) Their unbeaten run consisting of mainly friendlies, South American teams and a decimated Italy side
4) Copa America win - where Brazil trounced them, but they managed to fluke a goal.

Those are the excuses. The true reason is quite simple. We watch European teams and hardly watch Conmebol. Therefore, fans are far harsher critics of the European teams. Portugal, who people are still criticizing, just beat the toughest team outside of Brazil and Argentina in South America quite easily. That should tell you everything you need to know about that run. It's easy criticizing European teams for going out on penalties in the Euros to teams that are relatively strong.

People can criticize Holland's team with relatively strong midfielders and a Frenkie De Jong, but feel a team with Christian Romero and an aging Otamendi, Sevilla full backs, a Fred and Mctominay like midfield, McCallister ( who plays for brighton) playing on the left flank, an aging partially injured Di Maria and hardly any depth should be favored. Messi is the GOAT, but he's not in his prime either and shouldn't be expected to lift this squad when he couldn't do it with the likes of Mascherano, a younger Di Maria, Aguero, Tevez, Higuain etc

In saying all this, Argentina do have the potential to become a bit more formidable in some of their younger players, if they decide to use them. Lisandro Martinez, Alvarez, Enzo Fernandez too. The big issue is that midfield. Fix that and they actually have a chance.
Seems like the reasons you mentioned weren't that insane after all.

Very good point.

They heard you alright.

Last edited:

BuzzKillington

This one aged well. You were right about Brazil though, so there's that.

This one too.

Seems like the reasons you mentioned weren't that insane after all.

Very good point.

They heard you alright.
TBF that was deserved. But I still don’t think it was a vintage Argentina side on paper. Luckily for Argentina world cups aren’t played on paper.