Who will win the World Cup?

Who do you think will win the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedDevilMachine

England winning a major tournament is like Spurs winning the Champions League. I won't believe it until it actually happens.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Yeah, I agree that England are massively underrated on here. Surprised with the poll as well. It's a bit strange that two South American giants (Argentina & Brazil) are given far too much respect and the European countries like England, Germany, Netherlands, France & Spain are massively underrated when the game became all about coaching & tactics today.
It exactly mirrors the bookies’ grid, though? That said, a grid is just a grid.

Dazzmondo

Champions: Brazil
Runners-up: France
Third place: Argentina

Golden Ball (MVP): Neymar
Golden Boot (Most Goals): Mbappe
Most Assists: Messi
Best Young Player: Musiala
Breakout Star: Gakpo

Most Entertaining Team: Brazil
Biggest Underachievers: Belgium
Biggest Overachievers: Serbia

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Champions: Brazil
Runners-up: France
Third place: Argentina

Golden Boot (Most Goals): Mbappe
Most Assists: Messi
Best Young Player: Musiala
Breakout Star: Gakpo

Biggest Underachievers: Belgium
Biggest Overachievers: Serbia
Frances best player is out and you still think they’re getting to the final with Giroud up front? That’s gonna be hard.

Dazzmondo

Frances best player is out and you still think they’re getting to the final with Giroud up front? That’s gonna be hard.
Mbappe is France's best player as far as I'm concerned and while he's fit I absolutely think France could get to the final. Their squad depth is incredible. Camavinga and Tchouameni are 2 of the best young midfielders in the world. Most other countries would be ecstatic to be able to choose them in their midfield. Giroud was playing for them in their last World Cup and didn't prevent them winning the whole thing. He's always been a reliable goalscorer even if he doesn't offer what Benzema does. They have an extremely strong defence in general, which also has plenty of depth. Their side of the bracket is also significantly weaker with England probably being the best team they'll have to face.

Last edited:

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Yeah, I agree that England are massively underrated on here. Surprised with the poll as well. It's a bit strange that two South American giants (Argentina & Brazil) are given far too much respect and the European countries like England, Germany, Netherlands, France & Spain are massively underrated when the game became all about coaching & tactics today.

Argentina & Brazil both may have quality squads but I don't think their coaching is on the same level as European counterparts. I actually expect both teams to go out in Quarter Finals (Argentina to Netherlands & Brazil to Germany). Poll is far too one sided IMO.

Don't know if it's to prevent jinxing England but I really expect them to win this tournament. I'm not English but it is definitely coming home this time IMO. The success of England at Euro 2020 and English teams in European competitions in the last 4-5 years support this too. Anyway, my predictions :

Champions: England
Runners-up: Germany
Third place: Netherlands

Golden Boot (Most Goals): Harry Kane
Most Assists: Bernardo Silva
Best Young Player: Phil Foden or Jude Bellingham
Breakout Star: Rodrygo or Bukayo Saka

Biggest Underachievers: France
Biggest Overachievers: Netherlands
Coaching have never been such a priority for a WC.

France won last WC with only a decent management on Deschamps, and Germany did it in 2014 with Low, who is also only a decent manager.

Talent is more important than coaching/tactics in the WC.

Neither Brazil and Argentina have the old vintage players, that's why the struggle in WC, especially Argentina...this is their weakest side in the last 30 years, they are putting all their faith in Messi and the fact that argentinian players are more united as a group than ever before.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
France won the WC and reached an Euro final without Benzema

As world class as Benzema is , his career with France NT hasn't been precisely great overall, Giroud has been more useful than Benzema for France

the_cliff

France won the WC and reached an Euro final without Benzema

As world class as Benzema is , his career with France NT hasn't been precisely great overall, Giroud has been more useful than Benzema for France
Agreed, however, since Benzema has been back in the team they have relied heavily on him. 2021 Nations league and the Euros.

Chief123

Can be Brazil head coach by mistake by leaving this beast of a CB out of Brazil world cup squad.

Gabriel dos Santos Magalhães. I can promise you. If you take this beast of CB out of Arsenal team and starting line. Arsenal will collapse like Van Dijk with Liverpool with his long term injury.
This boy is one of the biggest reason behind Arsenal and Arteta success.

Thiago is still good. But he doesn't has the same aggresiveness, acceleration and supreme physical ability.

If one of the CB i can buy to build a top winning team. Beside Kim Jae and Wout Faes. Gabriel dos Santos Magalhães so that kind of CB i m looking after.

He was really impressive for Arsenal last season and continue to help Arsenal to stay on top of the premier league. Above Manchester City.

I was suprise when he was left out of the Brazil squad. A beast of a CB.

Brazil defend might cost them the world cup.

Reason why i pick Argentina over Brazil. Plus the new upcoming really promising and really close to complete as cm player in Enzo Fernandez. Can be a key factor for Argentina. Just look closely at the way Enzo spread the ball. The way he hit the ball is just amazing. And with many really good and sharp finisher up front.

Argentina is team harder to beat than Brazil. I think it will be on penalty. If Brazil will pass Argentina. Argentina defend is so aggressive. Plus a hunger Enzo. Many factors, reasons and ingredients to succeed. But day and match form and luck can something to say. And a cup is a cup.

But on paper and before the match happen. I think Argentina, England and Portugal will be team hard to beat. I think those nations will concede less goals.

Argentina = Aggressive & Tight = hard to beat
Ey? No he’s not. He’s one of Arsenal’s biggest liabilities. He’s one of the few players that always gives the opponents a chance. Not surprised he’s not selected at all.

AndyMUFC

People are scared that Rabiot-Tchamounei will be poor in midfield but they're defensively strong and mobile for their size so while it might look a bit pedestrian, it's still the best back 7 in the tournament to get through and fullbacks can't risk attacking with Mbappe and Dembele on the wings, and Griezmann is always one of the better defensive players in international tournaments as a hard-working 10.

If you're in a big office pool where everyone will have Argentina and Brazil, I think they're a great pick. On paper they have the best first XI, we know they can defend (Lucas-Kounde-Upamecano-Pavard looks formidable defensively unless Upamecano makes the massive error he does still have in him at this stage of his career). So yeah, I think their football will be fairly ugly in the knockouts (weak group and with that speed out wide teams will double a lot and there will be space for Pavard, Lucas, Rabiot and Tchouameni to contribute in the attack with crosses and long shots, but maybe less so in the knockouts).
Especially when Argentina, Brazil and Spain are all on one side of the draw. France have got a great chance of getting to the final.

Chief123

After watching the first game I’m convinced now Qatar won’t win it.

NoPace

Especially when Argentina, Brazil and Spain are all on one side of the draw. France have got a great chance of getting to the final.
I think the France bet I like is eliminated on penalties. Their defence is solid but I could see them having trouble creating against teams who sit back as Rabiot-Tchouameni-Lucas-Pavard is really lacking in creativity for whatever you call the midfield/fullback line which we should really have a name for.

theatreofdreams777

Argentina & Brazil both may have quality squads but I don't think their coaching is on the same level as European counterparts. I actually expect both teams to go out in Quarter Finals (Argentina to Netherlands & Brazil to Germany). Poll is far too one sided IMO.

Don't know if it's to prevent jinxing England but I really expect them to win this tournament. I'm not English but it is definitely coming home this time IMO. The success of England at Euro 2020 and English teams in European competitions in the last 4-5 years support this too. Anyway, my predictions :

Champions: England
Runners-up: Germany
Third place: Netherlands

Golden Boot (Most Goals): Harry Kane
Most Assists: Bernardo Silva
Best Young Player: Phil Foden or Jude Bellingham
Breakout Star: Rodrygo or Bukayo Saka

Biggest Underachievers: France
Biggest Overachievers: Netherlands
:cool:

Coaching have never been such a priority for a WC.

France won last WC with only a decent management on Deschamps, and Germany did it in 2014 with Low, who is also only a decent manager.

Talent is more important than coaching/tactics in the WC.

Neither Brazil and Argentina have the old vintage players, that's why the struggle in WC, especially Argentina...this is their weakest side in the last 30 years, they are putting all their faith in Messi and the fact that argentinian players are more united as a group than ever before.
Not anymore. Today the game is played on the tactical field first and foremost and coaching/tactics are far more important & decisive than ever. And the old generations of talented players also had personality which the current generation lacks. That makes tactics more important too. Because there's not much players who have the personality to take initiative and win games like it used to be. And talent without personality is not that effective. You'll see; Brazil and other "talented" teams will crumble under pressure.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
this is what happens when the england players aren’t allowed on the piss. we’ll walk the tournament.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Van Gaal, Enrique and Flick are the only coaches whose system isn't just "vibes". Sticking with my pre tournament prediction that it'll be one of those 3.

bosnian_red

I wonder if almost 30% of the caf has changed their mind after this result. Unbelievable.
What's crazy is that my top 3 teams, who have the 3 best coaches (by far), total up to only 11%...
When will people start rating managers as more important than a few star players?

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Think Germany will pull through or we'll get another redemption movie with Neymar this time.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think England could finally win the WC this time, Still have to see how Brazil is going to perform.

Argentina is definitely out. Very disappointing display.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I voted Argentina but after Today I'd say Brazil or England

marktan

For me it is between England, Brazil, France and Germany.

All have some problems but all have a mix of defensive strength, good midfields and pace and technicality up front. Usually you need all three to win an international trophy.

Spain and Netherlands have some of the weakest attacks they've had for a while so they don't have much chance.

England if they had Reece James I would have had as favourites, especially if Southgate goes 4-3-3 against more defensive teams. Trippier and Walker are great backups though.

Brazil on paper excellent especially with Vinicius, no idea if their coach is any good.

Germany have great players out wide and midfield, still a young team that hasn't fully gelled but a lot of talent.

France despite their injuries have always had a deep squad, if anything the injuries allow the younger blood to be bedded in quicker. If the coaching is right they can go far.

Red Star One

My money would be on Germany - they seem a little bit under priced according to the bookies IMO. The best manager of all without too much doubt + they are very much a tournament team.

RedDevilMachine

What's crazy is that my top 3 teams, who have the 3 best coaches (by far), total up to only 11%...
When will people start rating managers as more important than a few star players?
Because people generally see things as face value. Brazil wins the World Cup the most times and most storied country in World Cup history surely it's their year. Argentina and Messi, 35 game unbeaten run, surely they will win it. I guess your top 3 teams are Germany, Spain, Netherlands. Anyway I still think Argentina can go far if they make out of their group. This result should be a wake up call for them. They lost their opening game in 1990 but still reached the final. Spain lost their opening game to Switzerland in 2010 and won it. I voted for Germany before the start of this tournament and I think it will be a Germany vs Argentina final.

RedDevilMachine

I think England could finally win the WC this time, Still have to see how Brazil is going to perform.

Argentina is definitely out. Very disappointing display.
Harsh call, it's only the opening game. They lost their opening game in 1990 but reached the final. Spain lost their opening game in 2010 and went on to win it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Harsh call, it's only the opening game. They lost their opening game in 1990 but reached the final. Spain lost their opening game in 2010 and went on to win it.
Yes but that was mixed with disappointing overall display too. It was just Saudi Arabia for feck sake, England looks way way better.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Maybe because the managers of the finalists of the last three World Cups are Didier Deschamps, Zlatko Dalic, Joachim Low, Alejandro Sabella, Vicente del Bosque and Bert van Marwijk.

You don't exactly need to be on the Mount Rushmore of football managers to do well at a World Cup.

bosnian_red

Maybe because the managers in the finalists of the last three world cups are Didier Deschamps, Zlatko Dalic, Joachim Low, Alejandro Sabella, Vicente del Bosque and Bert van Marwijk.

You don't exactly need to be on the Mount Rushmore of football managers to do well at a World Cup.
Because typically you don't actually have great managers in international football... Van Gaal took that painfully mediocre Netherlands side to the semis in 2014. 2018 had nobody. 2016 euros had nobody. Del Bosque was a 2 time CL winner in charge of basically the Barcelona side 09-11 side.

This year you have 2 RECENT Champions League winners where their sides played fantastic, dominant football, and Van Gaal who win it in the past but who has always shown his coaching ability and how he exceeds expectations for the national team. It's a huge competitive advantage over every other national team who rely on vibes, as these guys actually know what their doing and (for Flick and Enrique), would be wanted by just about every top club (when normally, your national team managers would be mediocre club managers).

Look at Denmark too. Excellent manager and system implemented has them punching well above their weight ever since he took over.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Because typically you don't actually have great managers in international football... Van Gaal took that painfully mediocre Netherlands side to the semis in 2014. 2018 had nobody. 2016 euros had nobody. Del Bosque was a 2 time CL winner in charge of basically the Barcelona side 09-11 side.

This year you have 2 RECENT Champions League winners where their sides played fantastic, dominant football, and Van Gaal who win it in the past but who has always shown his coaching ability and how he exceeds expectations for the national team. It's a huge competitive advantage over every other national team who rely on vibes, as these guys actually know what their doing and (for Flick and Enrique), would be wanted by just about every top club (when normally, your national team managers would be mediocre club managers).

Look at Denmark too. Excellent manager and system implemented has them punching well above their weight ever since he took over.
I just don't think the manager can possibly matter quite as much in the international game simply because they don't get enough time coaching the players.

It's not a coincidence that Spain and Germany went on to win it just building off of a core of players and style of play from a club side. Especially the Spain win, they can credit that to Guardiola as much as they can to Del Bosque.

bosnian_red

I just don't think the manager can possibly matter quite as much in the international game simply because they don't get enough time coaching the players.

It's not a coincidence that Spain and Germany went on to win it just building off of a core of players and style of play from a club side. Especially the Spain win, they can credit that to Guardiola as much as they can to Del Bosque.
For sure. But there isn't anyone who has that this year. And every year you can see the impact of quality managers at international level. Even look at Roberto Mancini in the euros. Italy played great stuff, as did Spain. Italy suffered with motivation since their win and that's a different issue, but generally, the quality managers make their mark very quickly.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan

Van Gaal also finished 3rd in qualifying for 2002 and failed to even guide them to the play offs, with a very strong side. So its not necessarily as direct a relationship as you make out.

Likewise Capello was a legendary league manager but absolutely horrible in the world cup.

RedDevilMachine

My money would be on Germany - they seem a little bit under priced according to the bookies IMO. The best manager of all without too much doubt + they are very much a tournament team.
Definitely they are worth a punt. I don't understand how they are so massively underrated by the public and bookmakers. Bar the World Cup winner "curse" in 2018, they've reached every semi-final of any major tournament since 2002 and I feel a lot more confident now that that donkey Loew is out and Flick is the manager, let's not forget 7 of their starting 11 are the first team players of Bayern Munich. Team chemistry is extremely important in major tournaments.

tjb

Maybe because the managers of the finalists of the last three World Cups are Didier Deschamps, Zlatko Dalic, Joachim Low, Alejandro Sabella, Vicente del Bosque and Bert van Marwijk.

Deschamps, Low, Del Bosque are all good coaches. Just underrated due to being in international football long. Remember Deschamps led Monaco to the UCL final in 2004.

Van Marwijk, Sabella and Dalic had relatively easy paths to the final.

RedDevilMachine

Yes but that was mixed with disappointing overall display too. It was just Saudi Arabia for feck sake, England looks way way better.
I kind of agree with you. That result was extremely shocking because Saudi Arabia actually outplayed Argentina which is a major concern, it wasn't some smash and grab. I still think Argentina should have enough to get out of that group but if they finish second, things could get interesting.

bosnian_red

Van Gaal also finished 3rd in qualifying for 2002 and failed to even guide them to the play offs, with a very strong side. So its not necessarily as direct a relationship as you make out.

Likewise Capello was a legendary league manager but absolutely horrible in the world cup.
Different times. Football has changed quite a bit the past 10 years, and it's why guys like Mourinho have really dropped a few levels compared to what they were.

Also, Capello was a defensive Italian manager who never had any togetherness with the national team players for England. You of course need the players to buy in to your system in the first place.

It's not a "direct, exact" relationship, because you need to get the players to believe in you. But that's not an issue with Flick/Enrique/Van Gaal right now, and thats why it makes a huge difference for them.

RedDevilMachine

I am not sure what else he could do? Statistic shows that he was one of the best managers for England with a 66.7% win record. Got knocked out by Germany in 2010 which always had England's number and a tournament team, knocked out by Italy in Euro 2012 on penalties who went to the final.

Abraxas

I still have my money on Spain for some weird reason.

England will have raised a few eyebrows with that result, though. I don't think anyone is desperate to face England's attackers. Whether they'll put it together when it counts is a question.