Who will win the World Cup?

Who do you think will win the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antarion

With the group stage nearly finished, I have the quarter-finals as:

Netherlands v Argentina
Spain v Brazil

England v France
Germany v Portugal

Tasty looking QF ties but there's always at least one upset in the Round of 16.
When was the last time all favourites became group winners? So far we are 4/4 and Brazil, Portugal and Spain are as good as first. Germany may as well lose to Croatia though if they even make it to R16. But either way, this would be one of the least surprising group stages AND Quarterfinals ever. But I would love it if it turns out exactly like this.

Biggest chances for suprise: USA beating Netherlands, Croatia beating Germany. Can't see any other upsets tbf.

Spain v Brazil would be a great final though.
I also think Germany has a real x-factor chance - like a reassembling giant that can beat anyone if they get their shit together, but also concede easily against anyone which is a real problem for them.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
When was the last time all favourites became group winners? So far we are 4/4 and Brazil, Portugal and Spain are as good as first. Germany may as well lose to Croatia though if they even make it to R16. But either way, this would be one of the least surprising group stages AND Quarterfinals ever. But I would love it if it turns out exactly like this.

Biggest chances for suprise: USA beating Netherlands, Croatia beating Germany. Can't see any other upsets tbf.

Spain v Brazil would be a great final though.
I also think Germany has a real x-factor chance - like a reassembling giant that can beat anyone if they get their shit together, but also concede easily against anyone which is a real problem for them.
There's still a decent chance they won't even get out of the group.

Antarion

There's still a decent chance they won't even get out of the group.
I think this is funnily even more true for Croatia than Germany. But I mean we are all talking many hypothetical setups here already.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I think this is funnily even more true for Croatia than Germany. But I mean we are all talking many hypothetical setups here already.
Ah yeah I meant Croatia tbh :lol: Let's see how it goes tomorrow, hopefully as intriguing as today's last set of games was.

lex talionis

I don’t. Without Benzema I can’t see them winning it. As much as I love Giroud, he isn’t going to do much and Griezmann hasn’t done it for years. So they’re basically a 1 man team at this point. Not sure Bop it has it in him to carry them all the way.
Benzema is a big loss but France is still far more than a one man band…but what man that band has.

And your concerns about Karim’s absence may be relived by the knowledge, if reports in the last few hours are to be believed, of his imminent return to the squad.

RedDevilMachine

With the group stage nearly finished, I have the quarter-finals as:

Netherlands v Argentina
Spain v Brazil

England v France
Germany
v Portugal

Tasty looking QF ties but there's always at least one upset in the Round of 16.
If this happens, I'll go with the bolded ones to advance to the semi-final. All South American classic and All European classic. Spain vs Brazil is a tough call, I initially went for Spain as I still have doubts about Brazil inability to beat a top European team since 2002 but I think they will just do it this time given this Spain team is relatively young and the experience of Brazil's team will edge it.

Antarion

Don't forget that probably 25% of the knockout games will be a cagey 0-0 or 1-1 and comes down to penalties in the end. So it is very hard to predict the winner of most ties QF onwards. Like England - France, Spain - Brazil and Netherland Argentina all could easily go to penos...all these teams are so close in power imo.
But lets get not carried away, we haven't even finished group stages yet

peridigm

I think for that to happen one of the teams will have to finish second in their group (otherwise they are on the same side of the bracket).

The most likely team to finish second of them both is Argentina and if that happens they play France in the first knockout stage , England next (most likely) and then probably either Portugal or Germany in the semi.

I think if Argentina come second they are pretty much out and their only hope is to win their group (where they will get there runner up of the French group), then the winner of Netherlands vs USA before the first first possible opportunity to face a really top team in Brazil/ Spain in the semi.
You're right. I misspoke. Just had another look and I have Spain and France in the final with Spain winning it. However you slice it, the quarters all look tasty with exception to the winners of Netherlands/USA and Argentina/Australia. I think there is one upset coming from those two. I'd love to see the USA and Australia advance but there is little chance of that happening. Although, I do like the USA's chances against the Netherlands.

I think everyone expects the quarters to be Netherlands/Argentina, Spain/Brazil, England/France, Germany/Portugal.

RedDevilMachine

Don't forget that probably 25% of the knockout games will be a cagey 0-0 or 1-1 and comes down to penalties in the end. So it is very hard to predict the winner of most ties QF onwards. Like England - France, Spain - Brazil and Netherland Argentina all could easily go to penos...all these teams are so close in power imo.
But lets get not carried away, we haven't even finished group stages yet
When it comes to penalties, always trust ze Germans. ;)

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Since the Germans are most likely going through, they’re gonna be difficult in the knockout stages. Japan had the chance to knock them out and they failed and now they’re most likely heading out. The last 16 games are all boring. The quarters is when things start getting interesting.

RedDevilMachine

Can't decide if Croatia or Morocco is a tougher opponent for Germany but I reckon Germany/Spain should beat both teams if they get through tonight.

RedDevilMachine

Surely it has to be Brazil now. They probably can't believe their luck of their draw. Win the group which they most likely will, beat Uruguay/Ghana in the round of 16, Japan/Croatia in the quarter-final and Argentina/Netherlands in the semi-final. Brazil in a World Cup final is like Real Madrid in a Champions League final, they rarely lose.

Real Name

Hopefully if draw opens up for us even more. Lets say we beat Japan and then Brasil shockingly loses to Uruguay or Ghana..

Chief123

Surely it has to be Brazil now. They probably can't believe their luck of their draw. Win the group which they most likely will, beat Uruguay/Ghana in the round of 16, Japan/Croatia in the quarter-final and Argentina/Netherlands in the semi-final. Brazil in a World Cup final is like Real Madrid in a Champions League final, they rarely lose.
It really has fallen nicely for Brazil and even Argentina as it lays a nice easy route for them to the semi final at least for them.

England would probably have to beat Senegal, France, Spain and then Brazil to win this World Cup….yeah not happening!

There’s still the chance of a Ronaldo v Messi final too.

Chief123

A quarter final lineup of this would be tasty!

France v England
Spain v Portugal

Argentina v Netherlands
Brazil v Croatia

Red_Heisenberg

It really has fallen nicely for Brazil and even Argentina as it lays a nice easy route for them to the semi final at least for them.

England would probably have to beat Senegal, France, Spain and then Brazil to win this World Cup….yeah not happening!

There’s still the chance of a Ronaldo v Messi final too.
England's acid test is the quarter final, if we win that, we probably win it all.

You're really picking out Spain? They've done nothing. They hammered an horrendous Costa Rica, couldn't beat one of the worst performing German teams and lost to Japan. England for me would be heavy favourites in that game.

pauldyson1uk

Seven finals, 5 cups

1950 - fiat and infamous final in Brazil where Uruguay won the cup and left an entire nation weeping

1958 - redemption in European soil with the boy wonder Pele at the tender age of 17 helping Brazil win its first title against Sweden at their own home. 5–2 and some of the best goals in World Cup history by Pele

1962 - victory in Chile for the second cup in a row. Despite Pele’a Injury Brazil wins again thanks in great part to the talent of the amazing dribbling and scoring skills of Garrincha

1970 - the first Mexican hosted World Cup saw one of the best Brazilian squads dominate. 3rd title for Brazil and Pele (and Zagallo).

1994 - it would take 24 years for Brazil to return to the World Cup finals stage. It wasn’t for a lack of talent and some say the best playing Brazil side ever (1982). In US soil Brazil, lead by Romario in prime form took the 4th cup with penalty kicks over Baggio’s Italy. Zagallo won his fourth title now as part of the coaching staff. Ronaldo was a young up and comer who never got to play but acquired experience for the near future.

1998 - France (host nation) and Brazil made it to the finals lead by Zidane and Ronaldo. The latter suffered a convulsion the night before the final but was still a starter. Clearly affected Ronaldo was not himself while Zidane scored Two goals giving his French home crowd the first World Cup in great style. Party in the streets of Paris!

2002 - the first Asian cup co-hosted by Japan and Korea saw the return of Ronaldo after serious injuries. He came to play and was the top scorer leading Brazil along side Rivaldo and young Ronaldinho Gaucho. They toppled German and their wall, goalie Oliver Kann for the fifth and final title.

Chief123

England's acid test is the quarter final, if we win that, we probably win it all.

You're really picking out Spain? They've done nothing. They hammered an horrendous Costa Rica, couldn't beat one of the worst performing German teams and lost to Japan. England for me would be heavy favourites in that game.
What a bizarre post. So England would be “heavy favourites” against Spain after beating a shite Wales and Iran and struggling against a bang average US? You really don’t know English football if you think we would be heavy favourites against Spain.

RedDevilMachine

Germany didn't even perform that badly in this World Cup. In fact, they have the highest XG and were the best performing team, they just couldn't finish off their chances. It's their lack of mentality and finishing that cost the team. In all 3 games they played, they've played well. It was the 10 minutes of madness against Japan that cost them.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Amazing what beating two of the worst sides in the tournament can do for a bit of confidence.

What a bizarre post. So England would be “heavy favourites” against Spain after beating a shite Wales and Iran and struggling against a bang average US? You really don’t know English football if you think we would be heavy favourites against Spain.
No, you see, Spain beating teams they're expected to beat proves nothing but England doing it? It means everything. It proves they're the best team in the tournament.

Spain failing to beat a terrible Germany is just further proof that they're a bit rubbish and that England would obviously never fall to such lows. Huh? What's that? England did fail to beat a terrible Germany side twice already this year? Must be fake news!

Last edited:

slored1

My finals prediction is aging horribly, but I'm sticking with my Argentina prediction. They have an OK route to the semis and match up well with Brazil.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Weirdo Van Gaal keeps saying we will win it. Almost makes me hope we go out tomorrow. Almost..

Tony247

Want to change my vote to England. I think this is THE year of football coming home.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Germany didn't even perform that badly in this World Cup. In fact, they have the highest XG and were the best performing team, they just couldn't finish off their chances. It's their lack of mentality and finishing that cost the team. In all 3 games they played, they've played well. It was the 10 minutes of madness against Japan that cost them.
Highest xG but they didn’t score. So either xG is a crock of shit or they underperformed.

Red_Heisenberg

Amazing what beating two of the worst sides in the tournament can do for a bit of confidence.

No, you see, Spain beating teams they're expected to beat proves nothing but England doing it? It means everything. It proves they're the best team in the tournament.

Spain failing to beat a terrible Germany is just further proof that they're a bit rubbish and that England would obviously never fall to such lows. Huh? What's that? England did fail to beat a terrible Germany side twice already this year? Must be fake news!

They've only beaten Costa Rica,

Ahh yes, them minor nations, because none of them have beaten major nations this world cup have they?

This squad has experience navigating major tournaments, that is undeniable.

Spain have beaten a horrible Costa Rica team and then got 1 point from their remaining games. I'm calling it as I see it. They may control the games, but they lack a real threat in the final third, they've looked toothless as soon as they've played anyone with a semblance of organisation as a team.

England have looked solid at the back and have a back line primed for sitting deep and soaking up any pressure Spain may put on them.

Nations league are glorified friendlies, why would those results matter?

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
They've only beaten Costa Rica,

Ahh yes, them minor nations, because none of them have beaten major nations this world cup have they?

This squad has experience navigating major tournaments, that is undeniable.

Spain have beaten a horrible Costa Rica team and then got 1 point from their remaining games. I'm calling it as I see it. They may control the games, but they lack a real threat in the final third, they've looked toothless as soon as they've played anyone with a semblance of organisation as a team.

England have looked solid at the back and have a back line primed for sitting deep and soaking up any pressure Spain may put on them.

Nations league are glorified friendlies, why would those results matter?
1. England have looked solid at the back against who? Iran, Wales and the USA? And even then, Iran cut through them a few times. Maguire got absolutely done for Iran's first goal, Trippier got put flat on his arse by the Iranian winger and Iran could've probably scored at least one more.

2. Nations League is only a glorified friendly because England didn't do well in it. I remember when they reached the latter stages of it and played the Netherlands. The team, their fans and Sky were certainly taking it seriously.

Irwin99

Still fancy Spain to surprise a few. I'd go:

Spain
Brazil
England/France
Argentina

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Still fancy Spain to surprise a few. I'd go:

Spain
Brazil
England/France
Argentina
Morocco will go all out against Spain and they have the means to hurt them. It could go either way really even if on paper Spain should win the game.

It's for me the only game where I truly don't have a single clue who's going to emerge as the winner. If Morocco score first, I think they'll go through.

Kopral Jono

Brazil look like they have an extra gear or two in them and I still think they're favourites, but the winner between England and France will also be in good nick.